Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 3:00:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Can we have a separate debate in a different thread about the best technique for putting the slide in battery?
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 10:07:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I train police officers as well as recruits on firearms.  Many of the recruits have little to no experience with handguns.  The left handed shooters have a much more difficult time locking the slide open than the right handed shooters.  Dropping the slide is not the only variable.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then why do they texture it and make an extended version?

Especially when it comes stock on the 34/35.  Comp shooters use the slide stop all the time.  It is faster.

So do face shooters.   Take a Vickers course.  Either way is fine as long it gets the gun going again.

My issue is that it should reflect how the FBI teaches it's agents how to shoot.  If the FBI firearms curriculum stipulates that agents slingshot the slide into battery for two handed use or using a belt or shoe heel for one handed use, then an ambi slide stop shouldn't be a factor.  It's kind of the same thinking where agencies say they want a hammer fired pistol for "second strike capability" on a dud.  If the curriculum teaches some form of emergency action drill (which pretty much everyone does) and not pulling the trigger again on a dud round (which pretty much no one does), why the hell would you incorporate that into a statement of work?  It runs counter to how you are trying to train your officers. The whole idea is to get a firearm that fits what you want to do with it, to include how you want to train your people.  

I'm not going to argue the pros/cons of one method or the other, just that the final form of the pistol needs to be conducive to how you want the officers trained.  Maybe the FBI teaches it's agents to use the slide stop to get the slide back in battery; if so, then the ambi stop makes sense.  If not, it doesn't.

I train police officers as well as recruits on firearms.  Many of the recruits have little to no experience with handguns.  The left handed shooters have a much more difficult time locking the slide open than the right handed shooters.  Dropping the slide is not the only variable.

Understood, but simply locking the slide back is an administrative action. I'm more concerned with getting the gun back into fighting condition. I am not discounting what you said, its absolutely true that lefties will have a more difficult time locking the slide back, but its farther down in my list of priorities.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 9:52:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Shoudn't be hard to CNC a new Gen4 mold with no finger grooves.

After 18 months or so, Glock will release the Gen4 FBI series to the civilian market...and people will gobble them up...like always.
View Quote

I would for sure. no finger grove factory gen4 would be orgasmic.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 12:18:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

After 18 months or so, Glock will release the Gen4 FBI series to the civilian market...and people will gobble them up...like always.

Sure would save me a lot of time with the dremel.

Link Posted: 7/10/2016 2:44:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Interchangeable trigger modules are a fad. Conversions cost damn near what a new handgun costs. I'd much rather just have a second, separate firearm.
View Quote
I agree with this, but I live in America.

My brother who lives in NY and has to add the serial number of any pistol he purchases to his carry permit and pistol permit, incurring fees and wait times, would definitely see this as a potential benefit.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 5:41:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Come on G34 with no finger grooves!
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 6:01:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Sounds like the FBI needs to pi$ off. Why do I hate when people try to change glocks. I guess I'm always afraid they'll. Take such a simple thing and make it complicated.
View Quote

Supposedly the trigger is vastly improved from the Gen4 and the pistols are more accurate. Supposedly. If true, awesome, because the Gen4s are horrific. Real question is if Glock will sell these to us mere civilians, and when, because there is certainly to be gnashing of teeth if they don't.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 6:02:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yeah, I don't think I've ever used the slide stop to release the slide when shooting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ambi slide stop lever is another story.

and quite unnecessary too.  slingshot or use the rear sight.

Yeah, I don't think I've ever used the slide stop to release the slide when shooting.

Great, you reload at least 2x more slowly than those who know to use the slide stop. However, ambi is retarded.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 6:04:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yeah, I wasn't meaning others shouldn't use it that way.  I personally don't find the small slide stop a problem.  I'm not a comp shooter.  I just overhand it.  In fact, it's an upside to me.  Less likely to ride it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Especially when it comes stock on the 34/35.  Comp shooters use the slide stop all the time.  It is faster.

Yeah, I wasn't meaning others shouldn't use it that way.  I personally don't find the small slide stop a problem.  I'm not a comp shooter.  I just overhand it.  In fact, it's an upside to me.  Less likely to ride it.

Most good comp shooters don't use the extended one, for the exact reason you mention. Big slide release on a glock = problems if you are holding the pistol properly.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 6:17:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Interchangeable trigger modules are a fad. Conversions cost damn near what a new handgun costs. I'd much rather just have a second, separate firearm.
View Quote

I don't really see the conversions as the big deal with the p320. I like the ability to change out frames to different. Lengths, colors and as designs change and improve. You can also freshen up a really worn frame quite cheaply.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 9:51:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It's designed to be pushed UP. Some will argue that it's "faster" to push down when reloading. That may be the case when you're on the range or in the class. The problem is when you're in a critical incident, and your Sympathetic Nervous System (SNS) activates, your fine motor skills degrade substantially. Flipping the slide stop lever with your thumb is a fine motor skill. The same can be said about the slingshot method of cycling the slide. You still have only a single digit on one side of the slide.

If you think of the immediate action drill, it's hand over the top of the slide, "grip it and rip it". Use the same for releasing the slide during reloads. Same movement, and it uses gross motor skills.

Also, notice Glock never refers to it as a slide RELEASE. And it's only mentioned once in the manual as an alternative method for releasing the slide, with stress on the grip it and rip it method. All other references are that it's for pushing UP to lock the slide open.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's designed to be pushed UP. Some will argue that it's "faster" to push down when reloading. That may be the case when you're on the range or in the class. The problem is when you're in a critical incident, and your Sympathetic Nervous System (SNS) activates, your fine motor skills degrade substantially. Flipping the slide stop lever with your thumb is a fine motor skill. The same can be said about the slingshot method of cycling the slide. You still have only a single digit on one side of the slide.

If you think of the immediate action drill, it's hand over the top of the slide, "grip it and rip it". Use the same for releasing the slide during reloads. Same movement, and it uses gross motor skills.

Also, notice Glock never refers to it as a slide RELEASE. And it's only mentioned once in the manual as an alternative method for releasing the slide, with stress on the grip it and rip it method. All other references are that it's for pushing UP to lock the slide open.

Ok, so using the slide release is a fine motor skill.

What do you call the skill of hitting the Mag release?  Isn't that a fine motor skill as well?

Use what you want, but the slide stop/release is a perfectly acceptable method.....and just like anything else, it requires muscle memory built by practice.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:10:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I don't really see the conversions as the big deal with the p320. I like the ability to change out frames to different. Lengths, colors and as designs change and improve. You can also freshen up a really worn frame quite cheaply.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The real advantage of modular frames that has yet to be realized is 80% frames.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 6:38:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:  The real advantage of modular frames that has yet to be realized is 80% frames.
View Quote

Someone has already looked into that w/ the 250 - the holdup is the cost of the small parts.  Since there are no aftermarket parts kits yet, you have to buy each individual part from SIG.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 7:30:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Someone has already looked into that w/ the 250 - the holdup is the cost of the small parts.  Since there are no aftermarket parts kits yet, you have to buy each individual part from SIG.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  The real advantage of modular frames that has yet to be realized is 80% frames.

Someone is looking into it with Glocks as well.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 11:53:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would solve the small parts problem, but the grip?  Make it take 320 grips & mags, Glock trigger & slide?
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 8:45:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Supposedly the trigger is vastly improved from the Gen4 and the pistols are more accurate. Supposedly. If true, awesome, because the Gen4s are horrific. Real question is if Glock will sell these to us mere civilians, and when, because there is certainly to be gnashing of teeth if they don't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds like the FBI needs to pi$ off. Why do I hate when people try to change glocks. I guess I'm always afraid they'll. Take such a simple thing and make it complicated.

Huh? I own 3 gen 4 19 all I have done to them is  factory glock- connector ameriglo cap sights, and gen 3 g17 smooth face trigger bar. While it's not a bullseye gun me and a couple of buds at gun club did a walk back from 10 yards on 1/2 reduced sized idpa steel target. We got back to 60 yards before first miss. We were able to get back to 80 yards and still achieve hits on steel 50% of the time. To quote trek it might be a case of YSINTG.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 2:37:48 PM EDT
[#17]
On another forum an Indianapolis Metro PD cop said they are getting these along with the FBI. They are the only two agencies as Glock is making 10k units. He said he's getting issued his on August 2nd and will post pics then, as the NDAs have not allowed any one to post pics until then.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 2:54:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
On another forum an Indianapolis Metro PD cop said they are getting these along with the FBI. They are the only two agencies as Glock is making 10k units. He said he's getting issued his on August 2nd and will post pics then, as the NDAs have not allowed any one to post pics until then.
View Quote

I suspect the new Vickers Glocks are going to be these new models.  LAV casually mentioned in a response to a question posed on social media that if people didn't like finger grooves, they would be easily removable on the new Vickers Glocks.  I assume he isn't referring to needing a Dremel.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 3:32:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I find it remarkable that no one has "anonymously" leaked one, in spite of the NDAs.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 4:22:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I find it remarkable that no one has "anonymously" leaked one, in spite of the NDAs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea but it seems like it's a small group of people that have the inside info. Seems like Glock really limits who knows what's going on. That guy from the Indianapolis PD mentioned that only the armorers there know about them. I imagine too that when they were handling/testing them Glock made sure nobody had their phones or cameras.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 4:23:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They were pretty good at keeping the Glock 43 hush hush at SHOT and holding out till NRA Show.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:52:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

They were pretty good at keeping the Glock 43 hush hush at SHOT and holding out till NRA Show.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They did do well but I remember a couple holster makers that pretty much dropped the info.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 10:25:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

They did do well but I remember a couple holster makers that pretty much dropped the info.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably won't happen with these since there won't be any frame changes just a few tweaks.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 10:33:05 AM EDT
[#24]

here is the G17 holster order posted by TR holsters FB page.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 12:17:49 PM EDT
[#25]

G17/XC1 according to my search. Seems smart to me, there's really no excuse not to have a light now that the XC1 is out there.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 1:39:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

G17/XC1 according to my search. Seems smart to me, there's really no excuse not to have a light now that the XC1 is out there.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

the quiestion is, did TR holsters have the new modular gun or a gen3/4?
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 3:56:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Does the green frame make it more tier 1 or something?
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 6:54:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably just used the same Gen 3/4 mold. Nothing I've seen as possible changes would affect holster fit, especially with a light attached.

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:35:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

This x10. Nothing but a SIG marketing Dept pflunder.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 10:42:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Probably just used the same Gen 3/4 mold. Nothing I've seen as possible changes would affect holster fit,[/span]
View Quote

I'd think the ambi slide stop would have an effect
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 12:11:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Probably just used the same Gen 3/4 mold. Nothing I've seen as possible changes would affect holster fit,[/span]

I wouldn't expect much, and could easily be blocked without having the a production gun as long as you know the location.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 1:44:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Everyone is tired of black guns.  Me included.    The green makes it less.......  dark side.  LOL.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 2:59:50 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Everyone is tired of black guns.  Me included.    The green makes it less.......  dark side.  LOL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It just seems kind of trivial for an issued working gun. It ranks up there with the Kimber SIS slide serrations.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 3:51:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Everyone is tired of black guns.
View Quote

You racist!

J/k
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 7:56:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Saw this on GT.  Supposed to be a G19 Photochopped to a 19M. If it ends up looking something like that, it might be a winner!

In case of hotlinkage......

http://www.glocktalk.com/proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi64.tinypic.com%2Fzlrrio.jpg&hash=651a0578af7af45193c03f91da2196e2

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:13:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Fuck yes.

Will buy
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:08:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It just seems kind of trivial for an issued working gun. It ranks up there with the Kimber SIS slide serrations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear ya.  But since it's plastic, why not use different colors on the frame?  Will blend in so much better.  LOL.  J/K.   But really, Black was all the rage in the 80's with the tactical / SWAT / Operators.  But now Tan/ FDE is the way to go.  I really don't mind the trend.  With rifles it makes sense for people that need to blend.   I suppose you could say it might give an edge for it to be harder to see and not stick out like a black bullseye.  Even for a pistol.  Of course in low light, if the bad guys don't have NV, that could work the other way.  Anyways...  for me something other than black makes a Glock look like 7 million times better.  But it's not like it has any practical meaning.  

I didn't mean to sound racist.  Oooops.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 1:15:00 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I got my Gen 4 before they were publicly unveiled at SHOT Show. I had to keep quiet about it.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top