Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2016 9:13:06 AM EDT
This handgun is my first Glock. Gen4 G21. I bought it used from my local gun shop about a year ago. The guy who sold it to me didn't know the name of the color

What is the name of this frame color? I can't seem to find an answer on the interwebs. BTW, I'm now obsessed with colored Glock frames now. My LGS has a battlefield green G43! May have to buy it...

" />

" />

" />
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 9:15:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Sorry! This is my first time posting pics to arfcom, I fudged it up a bit.

Edit: I give up
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 9:27:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Its FDE. Your pictures wont show until enough team members approve them.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 9:28:48 AM EDT
[#3]
When you see the image on photobucket, right click on it and click "view image".  That'll pull it up as a pic-only page that you can use.  Then click on the little landscape icon when writing your message (4th from the right on the toolbar) and copy the link of the pic-only page.  Ta daa.

Looks like "Flat dark earth" or possibly a "scorched earth"

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 9:41:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the tips!

My best guess has always been FDE, but when I google "fde glock," the examples look much lighter and brighter. Maybe that's just how they show through the web, but mine just seems darker and duller. Unless Glock has made different versions of FDE. I'm not that knowledgable so I'm just guessing
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 11:33:22 AM EDT
[#5]
The same color will look vastly different depending on the lighting.  Now, is it actually molded in that color or is the frame cerakoted?  I avoid the refinished ones (the green 43 you mentioned earlier) as they never hold up as well as the actual plastic being a certain color.  The best way to tell is to see if there is finish wear around the magwell.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 11:51:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the tips!

My best guess has always been FDE, but when I google "fde glock," the examples look much lighter and brighter. Maybe that's just how they show through the web, but mine just seems darker and duller. Unless Glock has made different versions of FDE. I'm not that knowledgable so I'm just guessing
View Quote

In the pic, it does not appear to me as FDE. It looks like "UDE"=Ultra Dark Earth. That is the newest mod color right now. Is it cerakoted or is it a polymer color from Glock???? There lies the answer. It looks lik it may have been cerakoted, at least on my screen.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:16:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The same color will look vastly different depending on the lighting.  Now, is it actually molded in that color or is the frame cerakoted?  I avoid the refinished ones (the green 43 you mentioned earlier) as they never hold up as well as the actual plastic being a certain color.  The best way to tell is to see if there is finish wear around the magwell.
View Quote

It definitely is not cerekoted. It is factory molded polymer. And I'm fairly certain the G43 I mentioned is not cerekoted, either. It's the new Glock Battlefield Green polymer color (at least, that's what my LGS told me). I would avoid cerekoted polymer, as well.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:20:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I own FDE, OD, BFG, Gray, and Black Glocks.  The color in your pics is closest to my OD Glocks.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:21:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks exactly like my lipseys seen here:

http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=GLPI1950203D
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:23:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I own FDE, OD, BFG, Gray, and Black Glocks.  The color in your pics is closest to my OD Glocks.
View Quote

WHAT!  

I love OD, and this is what is driving me nuts! Sometimes my Glock looks greenish to me, and sometimes it looks brownish! I swear my mind is playing tricks on me.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:43:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

WHAT!  

I love OD, and this is what is driving me nuts! Sometimes my Glock looks greenish to me, and sometimes it looks brownish! I swear my mind is playing tricks on me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WHAT!  

Glock had trouble keeping their shade of OD consistent many years ago.  They seemed to have solved the problem in their more recent run of OD.  Their OD color has never been a traditional shade of OD, but it stands out as green when you place it next to their FDE.  The Battlefield Green color is distinctly green, while the OD could be mistaken as something else to the untrained eye.  The "Dark Earth" Glocks, commonly referred to as FDE, have a much deeper brown color than traditional FDE.  There is no way to mistake it as anything but a brown Glock.  Your gun looks just like my OD Gen 4 G17 and G19.  

The best way to tell is to find a local shop with a FDE or OD Glock in stock.  The model doesn't matter.  Make sure the OD is a Gen 4 like your gun so it's from the more recent run with the consistent shading.  The moment you hold yours next to the other, you'll know exactly what yours is without a doubt.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 2:26:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

WHAT!  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WHAT!  

"OD" green was first used by the US Army in the radar reflecting como netting.

OD=olive drab, a browish/greenish color. I highly desire a G19 and G21 in this, but only want the polymer clored frames from Glock. NO cerakoted frames for me.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 3:12:38 PM EDT
[#13]
My money is on OD green.
This is mine. Use flash for a different look

With flash
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 3:50:03 PM EDT
[#14]
They are making battlefield green 43s? I'd love one of those.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 4:19:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I had a OD G19 (shouldn't have sold it) and it looked like that.

Pull the mag and look there, for any black, will tell you if it is a factory black or color gun.

EDIT: looks factory to me
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 4:45:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Probably OD, my newer FDE is much lighter.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 5:14:44 PM EDT
[#17]
OD green for sure,Glocks version of FDE is much more brown.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:03:18 AM EDT
[#18]
I have gen 4 s in od and fde. Looks like od to me.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:22:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Well I guess it's safe to say it is ODG, which makes me happy! Thanks arfcomers

Now it's time to buy a battlefield green Glock. Dream gun: G40 MOS in battlefield green. One can dream...
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 7:31:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Nice piece. But get that damn toothbrush off of that dirty hotel sink with hair on it!
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:42:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Looks close to my old Gen 3 FDE G17.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 10:03:54 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a Gen 4 Glock 17 in dark earth. The box has a red sticker G17 GEN4 DARK EARTH.

I also have a Glock 42 in dark earth. It has a white sticker but does not have DARK EARTH written on it. It does have an eight digit number on the white sticker preceded with a "U", not the serial number, and it ends with the letters DE. I guess it probably identifies a production run of G42s. I'm guessing the DE stands for Dark Earth.

Check the box your pistol came in to see if provides information or clues about the frame color.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 11:01:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Toothbrush on sink in hotel?? As well as uncapped paste....Who cares what color you Glockenspiel is when you gonna get the motel plague
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top