Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2016 2:42:19 PM EDT
Wondering if the Glock hive can help me out.  I very much prefer the ALS series holsters for duty use, and they use a combination of the front of the barrel and the ejection port to secure the gun in place and allow it to lock up solid.  I'd like to get a threaded S3F barrel for my G17, but the only way this will work is if the S3F G17 barrel is really close in length to a factory G34 barrel.....idea being to carry the G17 with TB in a G34 holster.

If anyone has both, could you take a quick measurement?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 3:35:46 PM EDT
[#1]
How long is the S3F barrel?  The G34 barrel length is published on Glocks site.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 3:38:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I can't find an answer and they don't respond to emails.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 3:48:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're more active on social media. I'll ask them.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:22:36 PM EDT
[#4]
The barrel plug on the holster is only important if you want to run a gun without a weapon light in a holster built for a weapon light.  The ALS mechanism still grabs the ejection port to secure the gun.  The barrel plug just indexes the gun to prevent it from rotating out of alignment when the light isn't installed to fill the void meant for the weapon light.  

You can remove the plug.  I do on all of my ALS holsters intended for threaded barrels.  If you keep the weapon light installed, you're good to go.  I replace the block that formed the barrel plug with plastic washers to keep the holster supported at the correct width when the block is removed and the retaining screw is reinstalled.  Here is one of my holsters to give you an idea.  

You can buy the standard G17 holster and remove the plug once you get the threaded barrel.  You can buy the G34 holster and try it with the threaded barrel.  It will work for the G17 since the dimensions are the same at the ejection port.  The standard G17 barrel just won't reach the barrel plug.  The threaded G17 barrel may index on the barrel plug, but if you try it and you find it doesn't because it's too long, you can always remove the barrel plug.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 6:44:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Just crude measurements put the S3F 17 at 5", and 34 at 5.3" I can't find my 34 ALS holster or I'd try it out for you.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:12:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Fantastic info, I had no idea that you could remove that barrel plug and still have it properly secure the gun.  I'll check if my g17 holster is long enough to cover a threaded barrel.  

Thanks again for the info!
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:23:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Fantastic info, I had no idea that you could remove that barrel plug and still have it properly secure the gun.  I'll check if my g17 holster is long enough to cover a threaded barrel.  

View Quote

All of my ALS holsters can fully cover a threaded barrel when the indexing plug is removed.  The gun is extremely secure without the indexing plug.  

To remove your plug, simply unscrew the bolt that goes through it, remove the bolt and the nut, and pry open the holster just a bit wider using your fingers so that the plug can drop out.  Replace the bolt when you're done.  Do not overtighten the bolt or you'll induce friction on the gun that will make it harder to draw and re-holster.  The washers help to keep the correct width when the bolt is tightened.  If your holster is non-light bearing, you're good to go.  If your holster is light bearing, make sure the light is always installed on the gun and you're good to go.  Try it out sometime.  

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:16:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

All of my ALS holsters can fully cover a threaded barrel when the indexing plug is removed.  The gun is extremely secure without the indexing plug.  

To remove your plug, simply unscrew the bolt that goes through it, remove the bolt and the nut, and pry open the holster just a bit wider using your fingers so that the plug can drop out.  Replace the bolt when you're done.  Do not overtighten the bolt or you'll induce friction on the gun that will make it harder to draw and re-holster.  The washers help to keep the correct width when the bolt is tightened.  If your holster is non-light bearing, you're good to go.  If your holster is light bearing, make sure the light is always installed on the gun and you're good to go.  Try it out sometime.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll grab some plastic washers tomorrow and give this a shot.  

Thank you again.  Extremely helpful to know, and you kept me from buying holsters I didn't need.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 11:42:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thank you again.  Extremely helpful to know, and you kept me from buying holsters I didn't need.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the wrapper from the exact washers I buy.  This way you won't have to guess sizes.  I use 6 washers in each holster.  

Something else I do that wasn't pictured before is I will wrap the washers to make installation easier.  I put the washers on the bolt while it's out of the holster and then screw the nut down on them.  I roll the assembly on the counter to get the washers all lined up.  They're the perfect OD to match the OD of the bolt and washer.  I then wrap a single overlapping wrap of electrical tape around them.  I unscrew the bolt from the nut and install all of the washers at once into the holster.  It's so much easier this way and the electrical tape is the perfect size.  I took the electrical tape off in the previous pics so you could see the washers, but here's what it looks like with the electrical tape wrapped.  

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:59:20 AM EDT
[#10]
What brand are those threaded Glock barrels?
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 6:13:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What brand are those threaded Glock barrels?
View Quote

S3F Solutions. I have 3 of their barrels, and they're amazing quality.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top