Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2016 4:39:40 PM EDT
I don't post reviews too often, but found this comparison interesting and potentially troublesome.  Fast forward to about 4 minutes if you want to see the issue I'm having.
https://youtu.be/cxryBRd_bRA

UPDATE from Streamlight:
First, I'm glad you like the TLR-6 on the 43 - that is, of course, the same size as the 42, which is the gun the light was designed around.

All the models of the TLR-6 are designed around a common internal assembly. The outer housings are changed to fit different handguns. The switch is placed as close to the front of the trigger guard as practical. Unfortunately, the distance from the grip to the trigger guard, and the size of the grip, is out of our control. Since the 26 has both a fatter grip, and a longer trigger guard, the switch is unavoidably farther forward, making it more difficult to reach with the trigger finger, depending on the size of the shooter's hand.

The only way to get the switch closer would be to have the light and switch wrap around the front of the trigger guard, which would not be feasible for many reasons.

We realize the possibility of an AD when using a weapon mounted light.  The TLR-6 manual contains the following recommendation, and it is not just "lawyer language" - "Streamlight recommends that the TLR-6 should only be activated with the non-trigger hand while employing a two-hand grip on the firearm and with the trigger finger outside the trigger guard when possible. Failure to do so could result in an accidental discharge and serious injury, damage to property. or death."

Hopefully your wrist will heal OK, and allow you to operate the 26 safely with the support hand. I will pass along your suggestion for
stippling the light behind the button, or perhaps a rib if feasible.

I spoke to the project engineer and he stated that on our Gen 4 26, the light is a tight fit on the frame. We have found with another make handgun that there are sometimes variations in frame thickness from gun to gun.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 5:19:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Tried to embed but it will not let me.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 6:06:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been debating G42 v G43 v G26 for a month now and this didn't even cross my mind.  Thanks for the video, this may change my mind on a future set-up.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 6:07:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Useful comparison.  This isn't the first time that Streamlight has had issues with scaling on weaponlights.  It's almost to the point where I can't activate a TLR-3 mounted on a G17, but it works fine on other firearms.  I still think Streamlight is an excellent value for the money though.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 7:58:16 AM EDT
[#4]
will be sure to watch this at lunch, as i had already ordered a comp-tac holster of the 26 with TLR-6 set up, but i had not ordered the TLR-6 yet.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:40:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I think the issue pointed out is slightly overblown, and easily avoidable as pointed out in the video. If using your trigger finger to activate the light could cause an ND, then use your support hand to activate the light (this is what I do with all WML's anyway).

The idea of using my trigger finger to activate a light just sounds dangerous, but maybe I'm in the minority here..
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 1:52:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think the issue pointed out is slightly overblown, and easily avoidable as pointed out in the video. If using your trigger finger to activate the light could cause an ND, then use your support hand to activate the light (this is what I do with all WML's anyway).

The idea of using my trigger finger to activate a light just sounds dangerous, but maybe I'm in the minority here..
View Quote

I watched the video, and one thing i noticed is i think that Glock 26 is a Gen 3 for one (OP correct me if i am wrong), so Gen 4 would give you a little better reach with no back straps attached. I have seen other videos and they did not seem to have too much trouble activating the switch with the trigger finger. For me all my WML need to have the ability to activate one handed, as you can not guarantee you will have use of your support hand in a hostile encounter.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 1:58:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I wish there was a way to deactivate the laser.  I wish it was light only.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:18:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

you can, there is a setting for light only

would love it to just be a light, and something closer to 150-200 lumens, but for it's size, and the fact it can fit a G26 with no rail, i think it's a win
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:03:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I've never understood why They don't just put a rail on the damn guns.  

The 36 just got one
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:57:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Curse you, OP.

Just ordered one on Amazon for $88 shipped...luckily I had around that amount in amazon reward point dollars so...

Of course I had to order a new hybrid IWB holster...and other stuff...

I LOVE my G43.

Cheers,
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 4:56:41 PM EDT
[#11]
side note Comp Tac has a few well priced holsters for the TLR-6 for the 26,42 and 43

http://www.comp-tac.com/merc-holster-10370?returnurl=%2fsearch%3fq%3dtlr-6

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 5:01:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I activate all of my other Streamlights with my index finger- TLR-1 and the TLR-6 on the 43.  Nothing even close to this has come up.

I agree that it can be trained around, but I don't really like using my support hand to activate lights.  I can have a full, two handed grip, and activate my other lights with my index finger as it rides along the frame.  I actually don't like the Surefire XC-1 because it was completely foreign to me to only have momentary on the finger switch and the need for a support hand to turn it "on".

Yes, it's a gen 3.  A gen 4 may offer some relief.  Again, this only affects people with small-medium hands who don't use their support hand to activate.  Not a huge deal for everyone- just a big deal for me.

I bet someone will have a real ND with that light doing exactly what I demonstrated.  At 4:20, I was genuinely trying to push the button on the light.  I actually didn't think I would be able to replicate this on video and I did it twice in my one and only take.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:23:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I activate all of my other Streamlights with my index finger- TLR-1 and the TLR-6 on the 43.  Nothing even close to this has come up.

I agree that it can be trained around, but I don't really like using my support hand to activate lights.  I can have a full, two handed grip, and activate my other lights with my index finger as it rides along the frame.  I actually don't like the Surefire XC-1 because it was completely foreign to me to only have momentary on the finger switch and the need for a support hand to turn it "on".

Yes, it's a gen 3.  A gen 4 may offer some relief.  Again, this only affects people with small-medium hands who don't use their support hand to activate.  Not a huge deal for everyone- just a big deal for me.

I bet someone will have a real ND with that light doing exactly what I demonstrated.  At 4:20, I was genuinely trying to push the button on the light.  I actually didn't think I would be able to replicate this on video and I did it twice in my one and only take.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with the bolded portion of your argument. I think they could (and should) add a textured lip that swoops backwards or something to correct that issue.

However, I would argue that I can have a full two-handed grip on my pistol and activate the light with my support hand, and I'm still not convinced that an ND couldn't happen with my G17/TLR-1 if I tried to activate the light with my trigger finger.

At this point, I think it's a hand size issue (I have large hands) leading to the difference in our opinions, and if that technique works for you, go for it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 1:51:12 PM EDT
[#14]
OP, I think it's a pertinent point.  Thanks for making that video.  I guess it's just going to depend on how long someones fingers are.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 1:59:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 7:07:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Interesting... I was looking at this for my G27. I just measured & mocked up a template. I would have the same problem.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 9:10:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Having to use your support hand to activate the light defeats one of the main reasons to use a weapon mounted light v a handheld light.  I want to have one hand free to open doors, etc.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:09:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just buy a Centerfire CF-G42-LC instead.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:24:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

did not know that existed, always great to find new things, wait this is only for 42 guess has to still with the stream light for now.

looks like a 30 off mail in rebate though going on few more days
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 11:57:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Response from Streamlight and I can't say I disagree with any of it.  I'm keeping the light and when my wrist heals, I am going to try and re-train myself to use my support hand to activate all of my weapon lights.  It's just so damn perfect with the G43.  I do think there should be a small rib or stippling, which I suggested in my email to them, which it appears they agree with.  It's very slick and the angle back into the guard is sleek, but unforgiving.

UPDATE from Streamlight:
First, I'm glad you like the TLR-6 on the 43 - that is, of course, the same size as the 42, which is the gun the light was designed around.

All the models of the TLR-6 are designed around a common internal assembly. The outer housings are changed to fit different handguns. The switch is placed as close to the front of the trigger guard as practical. Unfortunately, the distance from the grip to the trigger guard, and the size of the grip, is out of our control. Since the 26 has both a fatter grip, and a longer trigger guard, the switch is unavoidably farther forward, making it more difficult to reach with the trigger finger, depending on the size of the shooter's hand.

The only way to get the switch closer would be to have the light and switch wrap around the front of the trigger guard, which would not be feasible for many reasons.

We realize the possibility of an AD when using a weapon mounted light.  The TLR-6 manual contains the following recommendation, and it is not just "lawyer language" - "Streamlight recommends that the TLR-6 should only be activated with the non-trigger hand while employing a two-hand grip on the firearm and with the trigger finger outside the trigger guard when possible. Failure to do so could result in an accidental discharge and serious injury, damage to property. or death."

Hopefully your wrist will heal OK, and allow you to operate the 26 safely with the support hand. I will pass along your suggestion for stippling the light behind the button, or perhaps a rib if feasible.

I spoke to the project engineer and he stated that on our Gen 4 26, the light is a tight fit on the frame. We have found with another make handgun that there are sometimes variations in frame thickness from gun to gun.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:17:34 PM EDT
[#21]
A decent fix would be a button that sort of comes out and comes back some.  Make the button itself longer.  Wouldn't have to make a different sized hole.  But I've got no experience with WML on a pistol.  I always use a hand held.  I'm not sure what to think about using the trigger finger.  I would've thought it customary to use your support hand for the light.  But I could see why somebody might need to use the trigger finger if their support hand is in use or hurt.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:54:41 PM EDT
[#22]
I'll stay with the thinking that one should only be using the trigger finger to do 1 thing on a pistol... pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:26:02 PM EDT
[#23]
This broken wrist and torn tendon/finger surgery (unrelated, shitty luck) has really changed my perspective on things.  I never had a weapon light on a carry gun until I hurt myself and discovered I couldn't reliably grab a flashlight/mag with my left hand anymore.  I was doing strong hand only shooting for a couple of months before surgery and have become very comfortable with one-handed manipulation.  I shot a match with just the pre-surgery torn pinky tendon and had to do most handgun manipulations one handed or using a table or something.  

Admittedly, I never used my support hand to activate the light at a couple of low light classes.  I used my trigger finger or a separate handheld, mostly the latter.

I started thinking about other scenarios where I would need to do everything with one hand.  Walking the dogs was the main example that came to mind.  I suppose I could just drop their leashes, but that's not ideal and I think the wife would rather see me dead than lose the dogs.  The other scenario is having your support hand shot/disabled.  It's nice to be able to safely manipulate everything with one hand.  

Ironically, the entire reason I started carrying the G26 over the G43 was because of the injury and the need for one handed manipulation.  Mag changes became impossible and 11 rounds suddenly became far more appealing than 7.  Then I discovered the issue in the video.

That said, good insight on using the support hand more often if/when I get it back up and running.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:32:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

did not know that existed, always great to find new things, wait this is only for 42 guess has to still with the stream light for now.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No it works on the Glock 43 too.  Centerfire says so, and I have one on mine.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:55:13 AM EDT
[#25]
dupe.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:00:07 AM EDT
[#26]
I dont now anything about carrying a pistol, all mine are HD.  What scenarios would a Civilian carry pistol with a light be needed ?   I always think of a carry pistol as something needed quickly usually during an unexpected event like being attacked and a weapon with a light as a home defense bump in the night or offensive tool for clearing rooms etc..
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:53:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I dont now anything about carrying a pistol, all mine are HD.  What scenarios would a Civilian carry pistol with a light be needed ?
View Quote

Yeah I mean duh.  Criminals are notoriously sleepy and they go to bed early.  They never do anything they shouldn't do, at night.  The sun sets and all of a sudden the streets are as safe as could be.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:08:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:20:41 PM EDT
[#29]
they keep using accidental when they should be using negligent.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:04:17 PM EDT
[#30]
I took my wrist splint off this morning to shower and decided to see what my support hand looks like using the TLR-6 models and the TLR-1.

TLR-6 on G43:  Support hand had no issues activating.  More comfortable with trigger finger.
TLR-6 on G26:  Support hand had no issues activating.  Perfect placement with support thumb.
TLR-1 on G17:  Support thumb way too far forward to comfortably activate.  Far, far more comfortable with trigger finger toggling up and down.

Muscle memory is a bitch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top