Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2016 5:55:20 PM EDT
My Glock M23 sets off store alarms when I walk through their entrance/exit. I ordered it online (Gunbroker) and picked it up at a local dealership. I can wear a S&W M60 3" and it goes undetected, so I know it's not a metal detection issue.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 6:17:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My Glock M23 sets off store alarms when I walk through their entrance/exit. I ordered it online (Gunbroker) and picked it up at a local dealership. I can wear a S&W M60 3" and it goes undetected, so I know it's not a metal detection issue.

View Quote

Do you have a store that has an EAS system that you are cool with? Something you can go in and see if it can be deactivated?

When I worked retail I ordered something offline and it would do the same, scanned it on the alarm and never happened again.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 6:25:19 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you have a store that has an EAS system that you are cool with? Something you can go in and see if it can be deactivated?

When I worked retail I ordered something offline and it would do the same, scanned it on the alarm and never happened again.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

take it into a big sporting goods store and have them kill it.

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 6:37:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Soooo..... is this a thing?
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 6:47:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I wonder how many other items in my inventory are still "live"?
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 6:50:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Are you sure it is not you? You probably have one under your scalp and don't realize it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 7:06:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I wonder how many other items in my inventory are still "live"?
View Quote
check your shoes

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 7:22:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Soooo..... is this a thing?
View Quote

Not unless you're retarded.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 7:28:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Where in the hell would one be on the gun ? Look for this magic part and take it out...
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 7:37:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Troll thread?
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 7:39:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote

You're joking, right?
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 11:37:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 3:42:37 AM EDT
[#12]
EAS system either has a stick on tag, a spider wrap (that weird plastic thing that goes on the outside of products), a plastic box, or in some cases a paper thin sticker. There's also the plastic tag that tend to go on clothing.

If your gun had a EAS tag on it, it would be plainly obvious, they are not meant to be hidden within products. Just peel the offending sticker off and they're gone.

However I've seen EAS go off on certain objects like cell phones... so I don't even know how reliable they are in preventing shoplifting anymore.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:38:18 PM EDT
[#13]
There is no exterior tag or any other removable item on the firearm and I'm not making this up. (trolling)

It has triggered alarms at two different stores, one a large grocery chain and the other a sporting goods retailer in my local mall. Both times the attendants said I was "good" without checking my bags or asking to see my Concealed Pistol Permit. This has happened more than a few times at both locations.

I did not offer to show my permit and made no mention that I was carrying concealed. I am assuming that the handgun triggered the alarm. I have no other explanation.

A chip can be molded inside the plastic frame. There is no obvious RFD anywhere on the firearm. Current technology allows extremely small chips to be placed just about anywhere. I am not concerned whether it has one or not, I would like to enter and exit a store without causing alarm bells to go off. I am legal, so it's the annoyance that concerns me. And the potential for nefarious parties, both criminal and governmental, to locate and confiscate said property.

Does anyone sell an RFD detection device that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? I have plenty of aluminum foil for making tin hats, so I'm good with that.

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:41:29 PM EDT
[#14]
So the alarms are generally (twice) when you walked out of the stores with bags of merchandise?  I'd bet something you purchased set it off...ymmv
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 9:11:50 PM EDT
[#15]
NM.

John
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 9:17:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So the alarms are generally (twice) when you walked out of the stores with bags of merchandise?  I'd bet something you purchased set it off...ymmv
View Quote

I had bananas and oranges on one occasion. It was triggered when entering on two occasions with the alarm shrieking for over five minutes before they shut it off. It's the gun, of that I'm sure.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 9:18:56 PM EDT
[#17]
LOL.

It's something on your person.

I was going crazy one day trying to figure out why I was setting off the loss prevention device at a grocery store once while I was wearing a G26. After messing around with it for a bit I discovered it was a sticker in a ball cap that I had no had no idea was there.

Cheers!
-JC

ETA: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_13/151913_Glock_put_RFID_chips_in_pistols_for_tracking_like_HK_.html
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:30:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Put your Glock in the microwave for a few seconds, problem solved
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:40:19 PM EDT
[#19]
My boys when they were about 10 and 12 slipped one of those stickers in my wife's purse. Mom was not amused. Loss prevention detained my wife until a police officer came to search her.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:50:14 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm guessing it's the new pair of jeans you have and the security tag is in the rear pocket.  Same thing happened to my wife once. Got a new pair of jeans and then we couldn't figure out why she kept setting off the security at stores. Only happened when she had on those jeans. Looked in rear pocket and there was a square flat paper looking ID tag. Took that out and no problems. Even worked after washing jeans a couple of times.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:10:54 AM EDT
[#21]
I had one in my wallet in an inside pocket that I couldn't find for a few weeks. Guess the leather didn't let it get turned off when I bought.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:36:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
There is no exterior tag or any other removable item on the firearm and I'm not making this up. (trolling)

It has triggered alarms at two different stores, one a large grocery chain and the other a sporting goods retailer in my local mall. Both times the attendants said I was "good" without checking my bags or asking to see my Concealed Pistol Permit. This has happened more than a few times at both locations.

I did not offer to show my permit and made no mention that I was carrying concealed. I am assuming that the handgun triggered the alarm. I have no other explanation.

A chip can be molded inside the plastic frame. There is no obvious RFD anywhere on the firearm. Current technology allows extremely small chips to be placed just about anywhere. I am not concerned whether it has one or not, I would like to enter and exit a store without causing alarm bells to go off. I am legal, so it's the annoyance that concerns me. And the potential for nefarious parties, both criminal and governmental, to locate and confiscate said property.

Does anyone sell an RFD detection device that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? I have plenty of aluminum foil for making tin hats, so I'm good with that.

View Quote

... your gonna need more foil

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:42:59 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote
I doubt your Glock has an RFID tag in it but if you truly believe it does.  Walk into a store and set the alarm off so you know you have  store that can detect that particular RFID tag.  Go back out to you vehicle, wrap you gun in that aluminum foil you have and go back into the store.  If it is the gun and not something else your carrying the alarm will not go off and you will know its time to sell that gun.

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 6:55:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Check your skinny jeans for an anti theft patch sewn in near one of the pockets.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:24:25 AM EDT
[#25]
It's not the gun
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:34:52 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

EAS system either has a stick on tag, a spider wrap (that weird plastic thing that goes on the outside of products), a plastic box, or in some cases a paper thin sticker. There's also the plastic tag that tend to go on clothing.

If your gun had a EAS tag on it, it would be plainly obvious, they are not meant to be hidden within products. Just peel the offending sticker off and they're gone.

However I've seen EAS go off on certain objects like cell phones... so I don't even know how reliable they are in preventing shoplifting anymore.
View Quote
One of the farm stores near me has been known to hide EAS tags under labels.

I have a Carhardt coat that had a proprietary label on the nape of the neck that had a tag under it. Kept getting beeped going back into the store. (They deactivated it at one point.)  I cut the threads on the tag and took it out after that.

It's not a safe assumption to say that _all_ of those tags are visible.  They hid them behind DVD cases too.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:37:49 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I had bananas and oranges on one occasion. It was triggered when entering on two occasions with the alarm shrieking for over five minutes before they shut it off. It's the gun, of that I'm sure.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Take the slide off and take half of it in at different times.  That will help pinpoint the issue. It's possible the metal parts are magnetized in some way, or possible the frame has something hidden in it. (Did you LOOK at the thing?)

I used to get beeped at every time I went through an airport with a certain pair of shoes. I finally figured out it was the rubber soles and dry air letting me get a charge, which looked like something to the metal detectors. I started discharging my hand on the metal conveyor frame when I wore those shoes and the problem stopped.

So it could be a gun/pants combination or something weird like that.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:53:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Sig, HK and Chiappa have been doing it for years..
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 5:41:18 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Sig, HK and Chiappa have been doing it for years..
View Quote
The imported to US Chiappa Rhinos have a little void in the frame for a chip, but no chip. (I have one, I checked.)

There's barely any room in my Little Badger for a chip. (Though I might look at it closely sometime.)
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 5:54:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Some ID cards will set them off too... My college ID did a few times.  Check this.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 1:27:06 PM EDT
[#31]
My wife's Sig P938 does it everytime at clothing stores. If she leaves it at home she does not have that problem.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 2:14:17 AM EDT
[#32]
More likely to have a chip on your clothing or shoes than in a gun that isn't H&K, Sig, ATI or Chiappa. Don't really see a place where Glock could stick an RFID. Fully broken down, I can't find anything out of place on mine. I'd be more worried about Surefire putting a chip in their light or something holding a static charge.

Regardless, if it worries you, get a cheap microwave and nuke it.

I fully understand why companies would want to use RFID's; it does make inventory much easier and faster. Frankly, these chips should be a simple external adhesive stick-on, or they should be stuck to the gun case. Would make more sense, and allow for larger gun stores to inventory that way. Once in the hands of the consumer, they may easily remove the chip if they wish to do so.

But any company that hides the chip, makes it integral to the firearm, or added in such a way as to make it difficult to remove or deactivate, can kiss my ass.

We've got enough crap with NObama talking up "smart guns" that we don't need another way for the government to track us or our possessions without our knowledge or consent. To anyone who finds an RFID in their personally-owned firearm, 86 that fucker.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top