Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/14/2016 7:20:14 PM EDT
This thread isn't about the reasons to own/not own or supposed faults of the "C" model Glocks.  Those that actually own, shoot, and enjoy the "C" Glocks know what's up.  Anyway, here's my question:

Out of all the "C" models (19, 23, 17, 22, 20, and 21), which one do you find the most impressive?  The one that makes the biggest difference in muzzle flip from its un-ported parent?

I haven't tried any of the 9mm models yet, but my shooting buddy and I find the 22C most impressive.  Another friend is a lot more impressed with the 21C.  What do you say?
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 7:23:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Please, no comments about how the muzzle flash at night and shooting from retention are liabilities.  Or how one should get a smaller caliber if one feels the need to have a ported barrel.  We've all heard that a million times before.  I'd like to hear from those with actual experience.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 7:30:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Just from a physics standpoint, it'll be the full-size with the biggest recoil that gains the most from being compensated.  So, probably the G20.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 7:40:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a 19C, and it felt like a .22 mag. Zero muzzle rise. Shot great.

I just recently acquired a brand new Glock 17C, so I can't comment on it yet.

The front sight gets dirty after a few boxes of ammo, but I just wipe it off with my finger and it's good to go.

Those are the only models I can comment on.

I guess my post isn't really helpful, since I have zero experience with the other caliber compensated Glocks.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 7:50:02 PM EDT
[#4]
The only one I've ever shot is the 23C I own. I love it. Definitely helps out a lot compared to the regular 23. I also will shoot it at night every now and then to put on a show for my friends.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 8:26:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had a 19C, and it felt like a .22 mag. Zero muzzle rise. Shot great.

I just recently acquired a brand new Glock 17C, so I can't comment on it yet.

The front sight gets dirty after a few boxes of ammo, but I just wipe it off with my finger and it's good to go.

Those are the only models I can comment on.

I guess my post isn't really helpful, since I have zero experience with the other caliber compensated Glocks.
View Quote

I have the 19c. Shoots softly, but is louder than my other 19s. I would imagine the compensated models are even better with the larger calibers...
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 9:17:24 PM EDT
[#6]
You forgot the sigs, 31/32.

I learned early on with my 31c to close my mouth, comped 357sig will rattle your fillings

Link Posted: 5/14/2016 9:51:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Shot a 19C and carried a 21C.   Love the 21C.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 9:54:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You forgot the sigs, 31/32.

I learned early on with my 31c to close my mouth, comped 357sig will rattle your fillings

View Quote

Touche', my bad.

Thanks for the responses so far.

felrom - You're probably right.  But I find it interesting how subjective experience is so different between different shooters when evaluating the 21c and 22c (which have totally different recoil impulses).

A_I - No, that is actually helpful.  I've heard people claim there was no difference between the 19c and a standard 19.  Your experience tells me otherwise.

Neon and esstac- I've never noticed any of the C Glocks I've shot being louder.  But I've never tried firing them in an indoor range or under a low roof.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 12:17:45 AM EDT
[#9]
My first Glock was a G22c gen 3 I stiil have it & love it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 8:21:02 AM EDT
[#10]
23C had the biggest reduction for me.  However, I like my 19C model the most.  Very fast follow-up with +p+ loads.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 11:38:25 AM EDT
[#11]
The most useful is he 18C

I have also shot the 17, 19, and 20.  The 20 made the biggest difference between its non C model.  

Link Posted: 5/15/2016 12:51:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
23C had the biggest reduction for me.  However, I like my 19C model the most.  Very fast follow-up with +p+ loads.
View Quote

Same here. I started with a G23C and went to a 19C. Both shot great. I now have a G17C that is my main HD pistol.....

Link Posted: 5/15/2016 3:55:55 PM EDT
[#13]
mic,

Two questions:

Are you planning on swapping out the stock sightis?

Which has better shooting characteristics for you (speed, fast follow-up shots, soft feel, etc), the 17C or the 19C?
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 4:40:58 PM EDT
[#14]
20C.

Add in some tactical-nuke rounds like Underwood's or Doubletap's 135-grain screamers, it makes a huge difference.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 8:43:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
mic,

Two questions:

Are you planning on swapping out the stock sightis?

Which has better shooting characteristics for you (speed, fast follow-up shots, soft feel, etc), the 17C or the 19C?
View Quote

Yeah, I want get a set of night sights installed.

For me it seems that the 17C is faster and more accurate due to the weight and longer sight radius. The extra length in the barrel and grip also helped make the 17C more controllable over the 19C......
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 9:05:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Only have the 17C so I can't compare but surprised how tame it is. You can get lazy and not have the best grip and still be ok. Shooting it in close retention is no fun. That's for sure. .
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 9:22:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 11:25:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I've had a 23C and now a 19C.  I really enjoy it with the 19C.  Really fast muzzle return with the 19C
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 12:21:56 AM EDT
[#19]
I shot a G23c years ago before I bought my own 23. It was very tame. I had a coworker always threatening to sell me his G17c for months. Any time I had the money with me he would say "well, I have to find a replacement first." Bastard got $250 trade to a Ruger 345.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 12:40:00 AM EDT
[#20]
I owned a G23 C and it shot fine and it did not appear to be any better then the non C models to me.  The one thing I noticed is after a few shots the front sight is covered in carbon causing my tritium to be less visible.  To the average person it would not make a difference when most of you just shoot during day time at the range. I was shooting for a qualification at night or handgun classes which covered low light to no light shooting firing lots of rounds.   I sold the 23C and bought a G19 but if you need a C version to help with the muzzle flip then go for it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 1:41:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
20C.

Add in some tactical-nuke rounds like Underwood's or Doubletap's 135-grain screamers, it makes a huge difference.
View Quote

Same here, love it. Shooting indoors with some nuclear Blue Dot loads is pure joy.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 12:21:15 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a 22C, recoil seems reduce somewhat but it was manageable anyway.  Bought it be different.  Glad I did since they're discontinued
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 4:33:35 AM EDT
[#23]
What happens when you fire from retention or  while trying to defend from a weapons takeaway attempt?  Basically when you have those ports right next to your body are they going to damage flesh?

I have torn range bags by getting my carbines flash hider to close,  and I have shredded paper and cardboard targets with the muzzle blast from a pistol.

If I have to make a contact shot into someone's body I'm going to be holding the slide closed with my support hand when I fire the weapon.  In that situation I really don't want to blow the meat off my fingers...
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:56:20 AM EDT
[#24]
AIM had a bunch of 17C's awhile back and I kick myself in the ass for not snagging one.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 9:36:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What happens when you fire from retention or  while trying to defend from a weapons takeaway attempt?  Basically when you have those ports right next to your body are they going to damage flesh?

I have torn range bags by getting my carbines flash hider to close,  and I have shredded paper and cardboard targets with the muzzle blast from a pistol.

If I have to make a contact shot into someone's body I'm going to be holding the slide closed with my support hand when I fire the weapon.  In that situation I really don't want to blow the meat off my fingers...
View Quote

No you won't burn eyebrows and you won't blow meat off your fingers. Do you own one?  Many who are against the Glock "C" models have never even shot one.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 4:11:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
AIM had a bunch of 17C's awhile back and I kick myself in the ass for not snagging one.
View Quote

You and me both.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 4:12:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I've found the Wil Schuemann designed Hybrid barrels manufactured by KKM more effective than Glocks "C" models.

<a href="http://s135.photobucket.com/user/PursuitSS/media/Postings%20photos/accb67d7892a4935527ade1635a03923.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q125/PursuitSS/Postings%20photos/accb67d7892a4935527ade1635a03923.jpg</a>
View Quote

That looks totally dope but spendy!  How much did that set you back?
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 7:53:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 10:24:08 PM EDT
[#29]
I came into a Gen 2 G17C that was a former duty weapon of one of the LTs at my PD. Roughly 10,000 rds through it and the trigger is amazing. I had one of the Dept. armorers tear it down and it was in great shape. Paid $200 for it. All I did to it was put some Decal Grips and XS Big Dot sights on it. I've run it through several classes--with mostly steel cased ammo--and it is boringly reliable. I did not notice any insane muzzle flash from the porting as myths on the internet suggest. Shooting from contact/retention, however, I do notice the gases from the ports shooting upward towards my face, but it doesn't burn or anything. It's just...noticeable.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 7:15:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Barrel was $265.00, slide machining was $25.00

BUT, KKM isn't currently offering them. He says there isn't enough demand.

Shooting Winchester 9mm 127 gr +P+ out of it there is almost zero muzzle climb (remember, the hotter the load the better the comp works).

According to Wil Schuemann most designers are WAY off on their comp designs. BTW, Schuemann was an actual NASA Rocket Scientist who designed rocket nozzles.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've found the Wil Schuemann designed Hybrid barrels manufactured by KKM more effective than Glocks "C" models.

<a href="http://s135.photobucket.com/user/PursuitSS/media/Postings%20photos/accb67d7892a4935527ade1635a03923.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q125/PursuitSS/Postings%20photos/accb67d7892a4935527ade1635a03923.jpg</a>

That looks totally dope but spendy!  How much did that set you back?

Barrel was $265.00, slide machining was $25.00

BUT, KKM isn't currently offering them. He says there isn't enough demand.

Shooting Winchester 9mm 127 gr +P+ out of it there is almost zero muzzle climb (remember, the hotter the load the better the comp works).

According to Wil Schuemann most designers are WAY off on their comp designs. BTW, Schuemann was an actual NASA Rocket Scientist who designed rocket nozzles.

So Shuemann only contracted them out to KKM - he won't make them himself?  I love KKM barrels, too bad they don't make those or the gunsmith-fit Glock barrels anymore.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 7:17:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Paid $200 for it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:22:20 AM EDT
[#32]
I have a Glock 17C, I hated glocks before trying this gun out. I've had a 21, 19, 29. all of the grips felt weird to me, but the 17 fits perfect. I'm a CZ guy but I shoot the 17C so well that I take it out more often than the SP-01 now days.

my most accurate load for the 17C uses Win 231 and it is the more flash producing load ive found, but the flash has never bothered me, especially when it helps me stay on target.

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 12:27:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 2:08:07 PM EDT
[#34]
I have two 17C's and used to own a 19C.

I like the 17C's a lot better and feel that the porting actually makes a bigger difference than in the 19C.

I bought mine shortly after they were discontinued (I think I bought one in September 2014 and the 2nd in December of the same year), and I paid no premium over a regular 17. I looked at some sold gunbroker listings the other week and they seem to have really shot up in price.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 2:27:30 PM EDT
[#35]
afultz,

Thanks, that answers a specific question I was wondering.

Pursuit,

Have you ever chronographed any loads with and without the hybrid barrel to see what the velocity loss was?
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 2:34:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 2:40:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have owned a 23c and don't think any of your hypotheticals have merit except for the dumb & dumber types of shooters.  A pretty damaging powder blast comes out the sides of magnum revolver cylinders too, but it doesn't matter except for those who are dumb enough to have their hand in the wrong place when shooting.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 6:12:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 9:41:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

You'll likely be injured. But so what if you aren't dead in that situation. I've never heard of holding the slide closed on a contact shot. Sounds like Hollywood stupid shit.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:23:22 PM EDT
[#40]
I borrowed a 17C and 19C from a buddy and took them to the range along with my familiar 3rd gen G19.  To be honest, I didn't notice a big difference between the 3 pistols.  The 21C and 22C definitely make a more noticeable difference compared to their non-ported counterparts.

I couldn't determine which gun shot flatter and softer between the 17C and 19C.  They were ever so slightly softer shooting than my G19.  I brought a shot timer to see how the guns behaved in speed.  My fastest shot splits were in the .15-.16 range, which I could accomplish with all three guns.  I couldn't shoot any gun faster than the others.  But when all-out hosing, I think I got the tightest spreads with the 19C.  I would attribute that to how the 19 frame fits my hand better than the 17 frame.  And the fact that the 19C flips a miniscule amount less than the unported 19.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:53:10 AM EDT
[#41]
How do they shoot compared to an attached muzzle brake?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 9:05:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
How do they shoot compared to an attached muzzle brake?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

That's a good question.  I've never shot a pistol with a comp or brake at the end of the barrel.  Only rifles.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 1:37:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Do they still make the c models?
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 4:15:01 PM EDT
[#44]
no they don't
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 5:49:31 AM EDT
[#45]
So which sights do you C owners like best on them?  Obviously the super-long TFOs are a no-go...
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 3:22:34 PM EDT
[#46]
So it would seem the earlier posters were correct.  The 9mm "C"s are nowhere near as dramatic in muzzle flip mitigation as the heavier-duty calibers.  Now I'd REALLY like to try a 20C.  I'm kicking myself now for not buying a NIB 20C last month for $525 OTD.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 2:02:30 AM EDT
[#47]
I carry a 19c when not at work.  Love the way it shoots.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 11:15:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 4:22:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

It really depends on how "hot" the round is, my 9mm KKM Hybrid barrel has almost zero muzzle climb firing Winchester 9mm 127 gr +P+.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So it would seem the earlier posters were correct.  The 9mm "C"s are nowhere near as dramatic in muzzle flip mitigation as the heavier-duty calibers.  Now I'd REALLY like to try a 20C.  I'm kicking myself now for not buying a NIB 20C last month for $525 OTD.  

It really depends on how "hot" the round is, my 9mm KKM Hybrid barrel has almost zero muzzle climb firing Winchester 9mm 127 gr +P+.

Maybe I didn't go hot enough.  On the low end, I shot a 147gr with 3.9gr VVN320 (about 1,010fps).  On the upper end, I was shooting a 125gr JHP over 6.0gr N340 (around 1,250fps).  I would have thought my 125gr load would be hot enough to feel a difference, but the only time I noticed a significant reduction was when I was shooting weak hand only.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 5:04:02 PM EDT
[#50]
My first Glock was a 31c (.357 sig). The fireball with defensive ammo was impressive, it also def helped cut down on mizzle rise.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top