Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2016 4:08:08 PM EDT
Trade it for a 43? I bought a like new 42 without box and only 1 mag but it came with new trijicon night sights, the owner of the shop where i do my transfers offered to trade me my 42 for a nib 43 for $75  + my gun .

My wife likes the way the 42 feels but I think the 43 will be better for her. What do you guys think? Should I keep the 42 or trade it?
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 4:18:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it is also important how well she shoots it. The size difference is negligible, it's moving from a .380 to a 9mm that is the decisive factor. If you and she are more comfortable with her defending herself with a 9mm, then there is your answer.
Enjoy the 43
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 4:20:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd see if you can get her to a range that rents the 43 for her to try, or even 26 depending how she's going to carry. I like my 42 seemed like the best choice for summer time pocket carry, tru glo tritium fiber optic sights, +2 mag extensions and I feel perfectly comfortable carrying it. OTOH if i could walk around with a purse I'd be carrying my G20
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 4:36:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Let her keep the 42.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:44:31 PM EDT
[#4]
The 42 is a pleasure to shoot, the 43 is pretty snappy.  Find someone with a 43 or a range that rents so she can try both before you do the trade.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:56:13 AM EDT
[#5]
She will almost certainly greatly prefer the 42 over the 43.  I have both and generally prefer the 42.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 1:20:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 2:22:55 AM EDT
[#7]
get the 43. I would take a 9mm over a 380 any day.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:58:21 AM EDT
[#8]
The 42 will be easier for her to shoot. This is about her not you. At least let her shoot it first.

Precision One loaded with Hornady's XTP bullet achieves the minimum for penetration in bare gelatin and denim tests and expands consistently and reliably.

Watch both of these videos.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:04:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The 42 is a pleasure to shoot, the 43 is pretty snappy.  Find someone with a 43 or a range that rents so she can try both before you do the trade.
View Quote

This is exactly correct.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:50:58 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

My wife likes the way the 42 feels but I think the 43 will be better for her. What do you guys think?

View Quote
Ever consider letting her choose what fits her and what she will be more inclined to practice with and carry?

Why not stop off on your way home from work and pick her up a nice pair of shoes and a new brassiere?

No?

Its the same thing!

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:19:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This is exactly correct.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is exactly correct.

I agree, if she is wanting a 9mm I would look into a shield, much easier to shoot than the G43.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:24:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I would keep the 380 - if you do some research on the web - you can find info that there is not that much performance difference between 380 / 9mm / 45 ACP etc.....

The advancements in bullet design has been unreal - I would let what she wants be the guide as to what she has - the more confidence you have the better.

Red
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:46:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My wife likes the way the 42 feels but I think the 43 will be better for her. What do you guys think? Should I keep the 42 or trade it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Stop over thinking it, most ladies are better served with something they feel comfortable with and shoot well, than something their significant other "thinks" is better.

Quoted:
get the 43. I would take a 9mm over a 380 any day.

While you may, it doesn't mean she would be served better by switching calibers.

In the end, as others have suggested I'd have her try the G43.  Everyone is different, I know a women that shoots a full size M&P 9mm and quite capable of shooting a single ragged hole with it, she doesn't shoot her G42 as well, and recently tried to solve her issue by going to a compact 9mm..... didn't work out like she thought.

Sound fundamentals and solid practice are probably far more important than the .380/9mm argument.

Are there advantages to shooting 9mm in our current climate?  Sure, cost is the biggest but really only comes into the equation if she plans on practicing or training with her carry gun regularly.  A box of .380 is $18-$22 locally, 9mm can be had for $12-$15.  Many more defensive options for 9mm, but still a fair selection for .380.

Try before you (she) buy is the only correct answer.

~g
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 1:26:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I also bought the G42 for my wife. It's a step up from the M&P22 she was shooting before, but it's not too bad according to her. Previously shooting the M&P9 and my Glock 19, she was closing her eyes from the gun's report. With the 42, she's able to keep them open lol. I think the 43 would be too much for my wife at this time although I plan to work her up to it.

Let your wife shoot the 42. Hell, let her keep it and buy her a G43 if you want her to work up to that eventually. Get some of the Pearce +1 magazine extensions to give her 7 rounds in the magazine. As a bonus, the pinky rest is textured the same as the Glock Gen4 frame and it will give her extra purchase on the pistol during live fire. They're fantastic.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 2:29:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Trade it for a 43? I bought a like new 42 without box and only 1 mag but it came with new trijicon night sights, the owner of the shop where i do my transfers offered to trade me my 42 for a nib 43 for $75  + my gun .

My wife likes the way the 42 feels
but I think the 43 will be better for her. What do you guys think? Should I keep the 42 or trade it?
View Quote

In bold is your answer.
Not being a dick, but it's her's .
380 is plenty with modern bullet selections.
My college age daughter already claimed my 42, cause it fits her small hands and she can shoot the heck out of it.
She also added as a selling point that it's proven and broke in, she got me there.
I'm gonna buy myself a 43 !
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:19:33 PM EDT
[#16]
It's her gun, let her choose. In the long run you'll probably be glad you did and she will too. I just bought a 42 in FDE to carry in the front pocket of pants/shorts with a pocket holster. Its the best fit I've ever had in a pocket pistol. Thanks Glock!
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:43:43 PM EDT
[#17]
The question you need to ask yourself

What is her experience level?  new shooter?  former pistol competitor?

How recoil sensitive is she?  

How strong is she?  Can she manage more recoil and still shoot well?

Has she shot the G42 and will she shoot something with more recoil?

My wife is a retired cop and really likes her G42.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:41:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It's her gun, let her choose. In the long run you'll probably be glad you did and she will too. I just bought a 42 in FDE to carry in the front pocket of pants/shorts with a pocket holster. Its the best fit I've ever had in a pocket pistol. Thanks Glock!
View Quote

What, 42 in FDE, where?
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:54:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Ditto the below, wife has a 9mm shield and loves it, going on 3 years now, longer than any pair of shoes I have seen her wear, lol

Quoted:

I agree, if she is wanting a 9mm I would look into a shield, much easier to shoot than the G43.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is exactly correct.

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:24:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

What, 42 in FDE, where?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What, 42 in FDE, where?

Gun show; these guys had two and I bought one.   Glock 42 FDE
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top