Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/27/2016 2:17:42 PM EDT
I picked up a new gen 4 g19 tuesday. Shot it yesterday, and noticed that 10 out 15 in a mag would just barley dump the brass about 6 inches away and a fee would land on top of my head. The rest would end up and 4 ft away. This is a brand new gun and I was shooting Winchester 124gr NATO. I posted this on glocktalk and holy shit those guys are brutal on this particular subject. I also had a g43 and a 3rd Gen g17 , both ran like a top. I've read that this seems to be an issue just with the 19,s  does the gun just need to be broken in? I've never heard of glocks needing to be broken in. I ran 100 rounds through it
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 2:24:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I picked up a new gen 4 g19 tuesday. Shot it yesterday, and noticed that 10 out 15 in a mag would just barley dump the brass about 6 inches away and a fee would land on top of my head. The rest would end up and 4 ft away. This is a brand new gun and I was shooting Winchester 124gr NATO. I posted this on glocktalk and holy shit those guys are brutal on this particular subject. I also had a g43 and a 3rd Gen g17 , both ran like a top. I've read that this seems to be an issue just with the 19,s  does the gun just need to be broken in? I've never heard of glocks needing to be broken in. I ran 100 rounds through it
View Quote

It will get a little better with break in.  If you were shooting low powered ammo it would have been worse.  Standard G4 problem.  I went so far as to buy an apex extractor and it's better, but I still get brass to top of head now and then.  Crap like federal champion 115 grain is the worst.  At some point, I may put the original extractor back and ship it to glock.  You can Google for the numbers on the newest recoil spring and ejector to make sure you have them, but at this point I can't imagine new old stock with the old spring or ejector being out there
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 2:31:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. I normally run 750-1k full powered loads through a gun before I carry it. It's not a big deal if it does it every once in a while. I just didn't know if I should just shoot it or send it back to Glock.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 2:53:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep, Terrible. I just bought a second G19, this one a G4 and am loading 147, I get BTF. I suspect at some point I will calling Glock but will hope for the best.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 3:33:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Sell it. Some Glocks have erratic ejection for some shooters. You can try to "fix" it by throwing money at it on aftermarket parts. Or you can just sell it to someone that probably won't have the same problem you are having with it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 3:48:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Both of my Gen3 G19s did it.  Changed the ejector to a Gen4 and that fixed it.  I don't know what the fix would be on a Gen4

My G21 Gen3 does it also.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 3:57:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Both of my Gen3 G19s did it.  Changed the ejector to a Gen4 and that fixed it.  I don't know what the fix would be on a Gen4

My G21 Gen3 does it also.
View Quote

I think there is an updated ejector. Glock has replaced the assembly ejectors marked with 336? The part itself is 5 or 6 bucks. No big deal.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 4:30:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Check to see if it has the updated ejector and recoil spring. Ej.# 30274 and RS#034.
Fixed RS #
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 6:15:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Ugh.  Hopefully you can get it to work well.  I'm a little concerned about mine because  last round on every mag doesn't eject very positively.  But it's not been a big issue yet.  Maybe one to the forhead out of a couple hundred rounds.  I'd be irritated with the ones that do.  And people that say it's limpwristing are fanboys that can take their medicine.  

I like Glocks, but somewhere along the line of late Gen and early Gen IV, this became a hardware issue.  Enough people in the know have reported it as such.  Don't let the fanboys dissuade you from that fact.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 6:23:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Six years and this is still happening.

Link Posted: 3/27/2016 8:13:33 PM EDT
[#10]
What year was it made?
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 8:57:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sell it. Some Glocks have erratic ejection for some shooters. You can try to "fix" it by throwing money at it on aftermarket parts. Or you can just sell it to someone that probably won't have the same problem you are having with it.
View Quote

Aka: Limp wristing
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 9:01:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I had the same issue.  Shooting it more helped a lot.  Last range trip I had no issues.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 9:25:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for all the replies guys. Definitely more info than I got on Glock Tlak. I'm not home right now so I can't look up the make date or what extractor it has but I will when I get back. I've had several Glocks before even 19's but this is the first gen 4 I've had except for the 42 and 43. I've never had one that had weak ejection.  I'm not giving up on it I love the gun. I will shoot it alot more than see what needs to be done.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 9:29:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I fired a NIB Gen2 G17 from 1995 this weekend.  It made me realize that BTF is nothing new with Glocks, and it cleared up after 100 rds.  The real problem guns are those where BTF suddenly develops, and turns into double feeding.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 9:38:20 PM EDT
[#15]
I got a new Gen 4 19 a couple weeks ago and have shot a couple hundred 115 grain FMJ reloads with a good dose of titegroup.  I've had one piece of brass land on the bill of my hat.  Everything else has ejected fine with no malfunctions but the ejection is weaker than my Glock 22.3.  I think a lot of the reason the brass isn't kicked out as far is the new recoil spring.  My 19 is very soft shooting accurate pistol.  One thing shooting my new 19 is I haven't lost any brass pretty much puts them in a pile next to where I was shooting.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 10:01:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I did notice that it seemed to shoot much softer than my g3 17 or the g2 19 that never should have gotten away, but even that one wouldnt shoot 115 worth a damn. I've always uses 124gr NATO or blazer brass since then. Even my 13 yo daughter loved it and she only shoots 22 lr.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 11:07:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

The first BTF Glock I had was an old Gen 2 17 from around Y2K.  The next was a 17L from '09.  This has always been a problem.  

I like Glocks and I have 3 of 'em.  But I've put about 3 cases of ammo through a couple Beretta M9s and a Sig P239 this year and they never fail to eject brass in a very consistent and civilized manner.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 11:28:36 PM EDT
[#18]
I picked up my first Glock late last year.  Brand new gen 3 19 and it would eject 2-3 rounds per mag straight to my forehead.  30274 ejector and Apex extractor fixed it.  It's a tough choice to either send it in, fix it yourself, or dump it.  I chose to fix it myself because I've read of a lot of mixed success with sending it in and I shoot it much more accurately than my other guns so I didn't want to get rid of it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 3:55:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The first BTF Glock I had was an old Gen 2 17 from around Y2K.  The next was a 17L from '09.  This has always been a problem.  

I like Glocks and I have 3 of 'em.  But I've put about 3 cases of ammo through a couple Beretta M9s and a Sig P239 this year and they never fail to eject brass in a very consistent and civilized manner.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I, too, have experienced the occasional errant piece of brass with older guns, but there was a definite uptick around 2010. I bought a new 19 a few months ago and got a stovepipe within the first 100 rounds.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 5:16:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I, too, have experienced the occasional errant piece of brass with older guns, but there was a definite uptick around 2010. I bought a new 19 a few months ago and got a stovepipe within the first 100 rounds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The uptick seems to coincide with Glock switching to MIM extractors.  I don't think MIM is necessarily a bad process to use, but Glock's implementation in their 9mm extractors leaves a lot to be desired.  

In the first 600 rounds with my G19 I had multiple instances of weak and erratic ejection along with two failures to eject.  After swapping in a 30274 ejector and Apex extractor, I've gone 1800 rounds with no problems and consistent ejection patterns.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 5:19:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even if it is limp wristing (it usually isn't), a combat handgun that has to be held in a perfect manner to function properly is a very poor combat handgun.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 7:00:10 AM EDT
[#22]

Yeah. Don't buy in to the limp writing bullshit. It does happen, but there are legitimate BTF issues with some Glocks.

If you want to fix it yourself, get an Apex extractor, a non-LCI spring loaded bearing, and make sure you have the latest ejector and RSA.

Link Posted: 3/28/2016 7:04:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Check to see if it has the updated ejector and recoil spring. Ej.# 30274 and RS#134.
View Quote

RS is actually 034.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 1:50:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

RS is actually 034.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Check to see if it has the updated ejector and recoil spring. Ej.# 30274 and RS#134.

RS is actually 034.

Fixed, thanks.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 1:51:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Even if it is limp wristing (it usually isn't), a combat handgun that has to be held in a perfect manner to function properly is a very poor combat handgun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think the OP has had any malfunctions. I never said he was limp writing. I said that some 9mm Glocks have erratic ejection for some shooters.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 1:53:12 PM EDT
[#26]
I had BTF horrible with my Gen 3.  I left the slide locked and worked the action a lot and it loosened up. Also about 1k rounds helped.
I did put the 30274 ejector in it but I didn't want to start messing with other stuff.  My ejection is a lot better but not perfect like some other
handguns I have.  I've always been told Glock's have weird ejection patterns.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 1:53:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Yep, Terrible. I just bought a second G19, this one a G4 and am loading 147, I get BTF. I suspect at some point I will calling Glock but will hope for the best.
View Quote

I sent mine back to Glock and they replaced it the second time. Guess what. The new one did too.  See my previous post.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 1:56:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Glock says their pistols are made for NATO ammo which is basically +p specs. Everytime I ran my carry Hot ammo, it would eject properly.
Seems to also be the weak 115 rounds we use here in the states.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 2:19:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Glock says their pistols are made for NATO ammo which is basically +p specs. Everytime I ran my carry Hot ammo, it would eject properly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glock will tell you whatever bullshit they can to explain the fact that a substantial minority of their 9mm's barely function with factory ammo.  It's a tolerance stacking and manufacturing issue.  If it was an as-intended design issue, all of them would function the same, but they don't.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 3:00:21 PM EDT
[#30]
My Gen4 19 has yet to BTF. But to be honest i run it pretty hard and as long as a round comes out and one goes in every time I'm not too worried. But I will try to keep an eye out because I've heard this a few times.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 4:01:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what about SAAMI?  The entirety of Glocks market share that are not NATO signatories can get fucked or what?  

I think the NATO spec is horse shit.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 4:59:43 PM EDT
[#32]
I didn't have any malfunctions, gun went bang every time the trigger was pulled. Only ran 100 rounds through it and I'm not suprised it will need some working in. Even glock can put out a not exactly perfect pistol everytime. I was more curious if it was an actual issue with the gun itself like a manufacturing problem or it just needs to be lossened up. I plan on shooting it a lot more before I even think about carrying it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 7:23:27 PM EDT
[#33]
I put another 100 through my G26 today and got 1 btf and 2 close.  The rest were fine.  For me it's the last shot SOMETIMES of a mag.  I think it happens more with a certain mag than others, but not hard and fast.  

I'm not sure what to think about it.  But I carry it and I'm not too worried.  I think it could be better though.  

A lot of truth has been said in this thread about it.  Like if it WAS from limpwristing, than Glocks seem to be more susceptible than a lot of other platforms. Which then still seems like a hardware issue.  But I really don't think it's limpwristing.  It's definitely not that with me, because most of the time it ejects at 3 or 4 oclock a good amount.  Just that last round sometimes.  Which to me means the slide isn't banging it away and the extraction is a bit weak.  

I had a G19 about 5 years ago that did nothing of the sort.  Ever.  That I recall.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 11:13:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I didn't have any malfunctions, gun went bang every time the trigger was pulled. Only ran 100 rounds through it and I'm not suprised it will need some working in. Even glock can put out a not exactly perfect pistol everytime. I was more curious if it was an actual issue with the gun itself like a manufacturing problem or it just needs to be lossened up. I plan on shooting it a lot more before I even think about carrying it.
View Quote

I've had no true "malfunctions" as in no stovepipe or failures to feed.  It has gone bang every time for over 500 rounds.  However, I've had brass to top of head many times.  I've watched my dad shoot it and I've seen brass actually eject to the left.  If you watch slow motion videos on that kind of behavior, you'll see that the brass actually bounces around in the slide on it's way out and gets pretty close to a jam.  The fact that the problem is so widespread is pretty ridiculous really.  Like I said earlier, I'm going to monitor and see if it gets better.  If not, I may put the factory extractor in and send it back for repair.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 11:29:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I've had no true "malfunctions" as in no stovepipe or failures to feed.  It has gone bang every time for over 500 rounds.  However, I've had brass to top of head many times.  I've watched my dad shoot it and I've seen brass actually eject to the left.  If you watch slow motion videos on that kind of behavior, you'll see that the brass actually bounces around in the slide on it's way out and gets pretty close to a jam.  The fact that the problem is so widespread is pretty ridiculous really.  Like I said earlier, I'm going to monitor and see if it gets better.  If not, I may put the factory extractor in and send it back for repair.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have a link to those videos? Im very interested in watching those.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 12:13:42 AM EDT
[#36]
I have not had any problems with my Grey Gen4 19... but I'm still under 1,000 rounds fired.

Many people report one, or all of these things help:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?19739-LL-s-quot-Almost-Guaranteed-to-Work-fixes-for-Gen4-Glock-9mm-issues-quot
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 5:37:33 PM EDT
[#37]
I get about 2 to 3 bff per 100 sounds with my gen 4 G19.  This gun seems to get a lot of brass scuffing from brass particles that get trapped between the barrel and the interior face of the slide.  I think the ejection post is slightly too high which causes the brass to hit it.  I don't  see this with my M&P 45.

I can live with 3 per 100 hitting me on the arm.  It's  a pretty accurate gun.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 8:04:50 PM EDT
[#38]
These guns are sprung tight. I usually leave the slide locked back for a few days when I get it. Seems to help some. Should get better with time. Probably not what you want to hear, but hope it helps.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 6:59:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I ran a quick search and found lots of brass to face videos, but didn't find the close up slow motion ones I remembered.  I'm sure if you spend enough time with Dr. Google, you can find it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 7:51:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
What year was it made?
View Quote

Yeah, what's the serial prefix? Mine is a ZGN and I may get the occasional casing thrown back at me but they are consistently ejected away and to the right otherwise.

I had one with a U or a V prefix that just dribbled the brass out.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 9:13:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Best post ever on Glock BTF issues:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?2188-Randy-Lee-s-dissertation-on-erratic-ejection-and-extraction-in-the-Gen-4-Glock-9mm

Link Posted: 3/31/2016 10:59:58 AM EDT
[#42]
My 2012-dated G19 will throw brass all over the place, including into my face, but only with one particular brand of ammo. Speer Lawman 115gr. FMJ will do it every time, but their 147gr. load runs without issues. This pistol has around 1500-2000 rounds run through it, and is my daily carry gun. My SD ammo is usually +P(Hornady Critical Duty 135gr. JHP, because I happen to have a lot of it right now)and the brass ejects with authority.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 11:42:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Since you and fin are proponents of the steel cased stuff in your AR's, do you ever run wolf or tula 9mm through your Glock?  Just curious how that feeds and such if you do.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 1:09:17 PM EDT
[#44]
I have had the BTF issue with my Gen 3. It has a tendency to put cases into my right eye. I wear glasses all the time, but I always encourage others to wear shooting glasses. It would suck to need your pistol in a SD situation and take hot brass in your eye. The problem has gotten worse with time. I just put in the 30274 ejector, replacing the 336. I am hopeful that cures it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 1:23:22 PM EDT
[#45]
I always replace the garbage MIM extractor with a lonewolf one they are made the way Glock used to make them before they got cheap and started to use the cheap extractors. Anyways no brass to the face. Also use the latest ejector.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 3:17:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I always replace the garbage MIM extractor with a lonewolf one they are made the way Glock used to make them before they got cheap and started to use the cheap extractors. Anyways no brass to the face. Also use the latest ejector.
View Quote

I tried that with a 2010 G17 that gave me no issues until I put a Lone Wolf extractor in it. Then it was BTF like crazy.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 5:18:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Just gave the same answer on Glocktalk:
My Gen 4 G26 was new about 16 months ago.
I was getting BTF, but the most irritating thing was when brass would barely clear the chamber and roll off the back of my hand.
Sent it to Glock.
I think the invoice said "Performs to spec."

They didn't fix it at all.

I think I spent $20 on Lone Wolf extractor, and I've had decently flung brass for several hundred rounds.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 12:39:14 PM EDT
[#48]
I've had issues with all the newer glocks. Here are my fixes that I have tried and proved well:

1) Apex extractor with 30274 ejector
2) HRED extractor spring with 30274 ejector.

Both fixed the weak and erratic ejection.

The key here is to get the 30274 ejector. Do not use the housing in gen3 glocks. Just the ejector...
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 5:27:27 PM EDT
[#49]
The funny thing about recommending the 30274 ejector is that the 336 ejector worked fine for years.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 5:38:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The funny thing about recommending the 30274 ejector is that the 336 ejector worked fine for years.
View Quote

Yep
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top