Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

THIS ^^^
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Even a cheap CO2 laser should have enough power to engrave the polymer deep enough to meet federal requirements.  But federal regs require the serial to be engraved in metal and on the frame or receiver.  I guess you could cut a window through the frame to the locking block and have the locking block engraved with a serial.  The rest of the required markings could be engraved in the polymer.

*Just to be clear, no markings are required on a home made Title I firearm at the federal level.

THIS ^^^

Just to be clear, he said "to maintain legality in the People's Republik of New Germany. "
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 1:51:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I used a CO2 laser to mark mine, but I know on real glocks there is a metal strip where the serial number is. You can certainly mill a slot out, and insert the metal strip and glue it in with epoxy. You can use etching to mark the metal instead of stamps. Metal stamp is unreliable. You need VERY HARD hit to mark even aluminum, and you must do it in one hit because if you try to hit it more than once, it WILL doublestrike, and to a law enforcement officer it can look like the serial number has been modified at a first glance, which results in unwarranted attention. Those metal stamps are really meant for striking thin (.5mm or so) aluminum or brass sheets with a wood or other soft backing. In that case a small hammer can easily do the job.

Etching will mark most metals to the required depth and it will not doublestrike, and it looks professional.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 9:35:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Stealth arms is running a survey to see if there's intrest in an aluminum 80% glock frame.

Hit the survey at the bottom and pass the link around.  Even if you are a fan of the specter, having more options in the market will control costs and increase intrest in making more slide assemblies available.
https://www.stealtharms.net

Wes
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 9:49:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 10:03:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Stealth arms is running a survey to see if there's intrest in an aluminum 80% glock frame.
View Quote

Several MFGs have made these over the years and found little market demand.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 10:39:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 12:28:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Fellow Spectre builders - I want to put a serial # on my frame (once I mill it in another state and transport it back in according to federal and state law) to maintain legality in the People's Republik of New Germany.

Any suggestions on the best way to do this?  Steel hand stamps?  Find somebody with a strong laser engraver?

Ideally I'd like to put on a serial number akin to 'FSCKWEINBERG123'...
View Quote

Someone asked about putting a serial number on theirs on Polymer80's Facebook page.  Polymer80 responded back to contact them and they would give them some options.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 1:25:28 PM EDT
[#10]
FYI...if you look at Glock serial number plates from 10+ years ago, they appear to have been pressed in from the outside.  The more current production frames have them injection molded in place for a more secure attachment.  My understanding is that change was made at the "request" of the ATF. Plumb Crazy lowers and New Frontier lowers also had to make some changes to meet some type of marking standards and attachment of serial number plates requirements after initial production to keep the ATF happy. So don't be shocked if eventually we see the ATF step in with guidelines for marking a polymer lower/frame with a serial number that will apply to a completed 80% that is being sold post end-user manufacturing or registered as an NFA item.

Wes
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 12:36:43 PM EDT
[#11]
EDITED:  Please post any and all WTS/WTT comments in EE, not in tech forums.  Thanks, HS.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:26:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been keeping an eye on these on and off since Feb. It'd be great to have a Glock-type pistol 100% off the books.  And in PA where you need to go through an FFL for pistol transfers it makes more sense than the other states where you can sell a handgun without an FFL.  I bought one of their Phoenix kits for a rainy day project for my 5 year old son and I (maybe in a few years).  This would make for another fun project. Seems like they've finally made it to market and work as advertised.  I'm fighting the urge to buy one.  I might, but right now I definitely have bigger fish to fry.  

For those interested I found the following coopin on another forum and it does knock $32 off the price...

p80memday2016

One concern I do have with these is holsters.  Since it won't fit most kydex rigs due to the difference from Glock, what holsters are yall using?  Looks like it might fit in my G17 Safariland holsters.

-Emt1581

Link Posted: 5/29/2016 12:37:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Completed

Link Posted: 5/29/2016 10:24:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Completed

<a href="http://s264.photobucket.com/user/zoamaniac/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_82.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/zoamaniac/Mobile%20Uploads/image_82.jpeg</a>

<a href="http://s264.photobucket.com/user/zoamaniac/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_81.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/zoamaniac/Mobile%20Uploads/image_81.jpeg</a>
View Quote

Very nice!

Lets see the other side without serial numbers so we get the full ghost gun effect.

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 10:33:25 AM EDT
[#15]
The Slide and Barrel have matching SN from Glock... So not exactly full Ghost
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 2:54:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do any companies make them without serial numbers?  

I know my Lone Wolf barrel doesn't have a sn.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 2:56:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

-Emt1581
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Emt1581

Only Glock puts the serial numbers on the slide and barrel.  Any aftermarket parts will not have a serial engraved.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 11:53:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Only Glock puts the serial numbers on the slide and barrel.  Any aftermarket parts will not have a serial engraved.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Emt1581

Got it.  Follow-up question....is it breaking any laws to alter/delete a pre-existing serial number on a factory glock slide/barrel?  I'm thinking no because the only part the ATF/LE cares about is the lower.  But I could be wrong.

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 1:57:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Got it.  Follow-up question....is it breaking any laws to alter/delete a pre-existing serial number on a factory glock slide/barrel?  I'm thinking no because the only part the ATF/LE cares about is the lower.  But I could be wrong.

Thanks

-Emt1581
View Quote

I've always assumed serial #s on parts that aren't required by the ATF were either done for QC purposes, or to satisfy laws in other countries.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 11:27:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Does this make the hair on the back of your neck stand up

Link Posted: 5/30/2016 11:28:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Thanks

-Emt1581
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Emt1581

Thanks

-Emt1581

No
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 12:17:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Does this make the hair on the back of your neck stand up

<a href="http://s264.photobucket.com/user/zoamaniac/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_83.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/zoamaniac/Mobile%20Uploads/image_83.jpeg</a>

<a href="http://s264.photobucket.com/user/zoamaniac/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_84.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/zoamaniac/Mobile%20Uploads/image_84.jpeg</a>
View Quote

Can I get SUX or BLOWS for 1000 Alex?

EDIT:  Wait...can you request custom serial numbers??  Kinda like vanity plates for Glocks??  

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 8:57:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Polymer 80 Glock 80% Pistol Kit Includes Jig & Tools EZ To Build Super HOT !!
$134.99

LINK
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 1:06:34 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
An 80% aluminum Glock frame would fill a market niche that doesn't have anything filling it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hit the survey at the bottom and pass the link around.  Even if you are a fan of the specter, having more options in the market will control costs and increase intrest in making more slide assemblies available.

https://www.stealtharms.net

Wes

An 80% aluminum Glock frame would fill a market niche that doesn't have anything filling it.

I would buy that so fast!

I still am tempted by this polymer one. My only hesitation comes from them being Gen3 guns rather than Gen4.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 11:18:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 4:01:42 PM EDT
[#26]
I have completed and assembled my Spectre with all the rest of the parts from Lone Wolf including a .357 Sig barrel.  I went with extended takedown, slide lock and mag releases which I like.  Function tests O.K., but I haven't gotten to the range to try it out yet.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:07:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Anyone putting lots of rounds through these?  Anyone seeing any problems yet?
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 4:31:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
$134.99

LINK
View Quote

16 days later and theyre asking $200 now. Bahahahahaha
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 6:36:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
$134.99

LINK

What sux is i have been super busy and missed the deal
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 5:24:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 2:57:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
$134.99

LINK

My guess is they'd ordered a huge batch during the presale, and they still had some of those left.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:59:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Anybody else notice this in the instructions?
"Chemicals: Generally, you do not use penetrating lubricants on polymer products, they can damage the
material.
a. Many oils are combined with rust penetrants or some other type of penetrant which can damage
polymer based products. Regular gun oil, high quality grease or simple household oils can be used."
I have never heard that before. In fact it was my understanding that glocks were impervious to almost all chemicals. I like to use PB Blaster penetrating catylist and wd-40. Am I going to have problems?
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:21:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Other than the EE and Gunbroker, does anyone have a source for factory uppers?  I just want a factory 17 upper.  They seem to go fast.

ETA: I'm going to be buying the 3mm and 4mm drill bits after looking at what was in my kit.  This was really shortsighted on Polymer 80% for not just buying metric drills.  You know they had to have the same problems that everyone else has had putting those pins in.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 5:44:11 PM EDT
[#34]
To bring this back up, will a gen 4 slide work with these? I've ordered the frame, and everything to put it together. Right now it seems like they only factory slides I can find is gen 4.

I thought the only changes from 3 to 4 were to the frame. But I've been wrong before, wouldn't surprise me if I am now.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 6:19:53 PM EDT
[#35]
The one difference that i can tell so far is that with the gen 4's larger dual recoil spring is that the front frame channel for the spring would need to be larger in diameter on the spectre frame...as for the slide fitting on the frame, I don't know that yet.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 11:30:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 6:15:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
To bring this back up, will a gen 4 slide work with these? I've ordered the frame, and everything to put it together. Right now it seems like they only factory slides I can find is gen 4.

I thought the only changes from 3 to 4 were to the frame. But I've been wrong before, wouldn't surprise me if I am now.
View Quote

No a gen 4 slide will not work. The recoil spring lug on the gen 4 slide is much larger than on the gen 3. That being said, you may be able open up the entire front end enough to make it work but that's not how the frame comes designed.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 2:20:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'm surprised BATF allowed this one. It almost seems like you CAN'T screw it up.
View Quote

I'm also surprised -- what they required of the Spectre being non-finished is essentially the same as the alloy or steel frame 1911 80% frames.

I've heard through the grapevine that BATFE is quite unpleased that several youtube videos have showed up where people have successfully finished Spectres with nothing much more than a dremel tool, a couple cutting bits, a set of needle files and a hand drill.

I was curious as to whether this worked...  so I bought an extra Spectre and I can confirm it.  In fact I'd actually say that a lot of people might find it EASIER to complete one this way than with a drill press.

I'm not sure what BATFE will do about it if anything, but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't find some way of coming down on Polymer 80 and making them change the design to make it harder.

I'm thinking of buying a few more just in case.  I really wish you could just buy the lower & locking block w/o the jig and tools.  Even if that only dropped the price by $20 it would still be cool.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 12:06:58 PM EDT
[#39]
How does his idea sound, since apparently everyone is either buying up the gen 3 glock 17 slides, or they just aren't being sold.

Get a gen 3 glock 22 slide and then get a conversion barrel for 9mm? Or just rock it as a .40 until I can get my hands on a g17 slide?
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 9:39:09 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I still need to TRY and remove the pins from mine and correctly drill the holes with Metric bits.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I still need to TRY and remove the pins from mine and correctly drill the holes with Metric bits.

Chuck a pin punch into your drill press and use the leverage of the press to push the pins out.  

Quoted:

How does his idea sound, since apparently everyone is either buying up the gen 3 glock 17 slides, or they just aren't being sold.

Get a gen 3 glock 22 slide and then get a conversion barrel for 9mm? Or just rock it as a .40 until I can get my hands on a g17 slide?
There are a lot of Gen 3 G22 police trade-ins for $300 out there right now, but at that point you're in for $150 for the Spectre, $300 for the parts gun, and $100 for a conversion barrel, plus shipping and transfer.  Personally, I'll just buy a new Gen4 17.

We really need a company to start making cheap parts kits, or just cheap slides and barrels.

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 2:51:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Man, is it just me or is finding parts to build these from the ground up a lot harder than it is for AR's? Seems like every "complete" trigger kit I find comes with different components included/excluded, but maybe some of them just aren't listed because they're implied? I'm guessing some are meant as drop-in replacement kits so they assume you'll use stock components for the rest, but I'm far too much of a noob to tell for sure.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 4:46:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:  Man, is it just me or is finding parts to build these from the ground up a lot harder than it is for AR's? Seems like every "complete" trigger kit I find comes with different components included/excluded, but maybe some of them just aren't listed because they're implied? I'm guessing some are meant as drop-in replacement kits so they assume you'll use stock components for the rest, but I'm far too much of a noob to tell for sure.
View Quote

80% ARs have been around for many years now, and complete part kits down to the last roll pin are available.  This just came out for Glock; give it time.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 5:16:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The pin holes are WAY too tight after you drill them, I suspect it's probably because Glock drills metric holes and the pins are metric.
View Quote

Correct I mentioned this in my post dated  5/17/2016, 3 & 4 mm is what you want.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:21:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Man, is it just me or is finding parts to build these from the ground up a lot harder than it is for AR's? Seems like every "complete" trigger kit I find comes with different components included/excluded, but maybe some of them just aren't listed because they're implied? I'm guessing some are meant as drop-in replacement kits so they assume you'll use stock components for the rest, but I'm far too much of a noob to tell for sure.
View Quote

Lone Wolf distributing has what you need...  well, if they aren't OOS on slides...
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:40:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Chuck a pin punch into your drill press and use the leverage of the press to push the pins out.  

There are a lot of Gen 3 G22 police trade-ins for $300 out there right now, but at that point you're in for $150 for the Spectre, $300 for the parts gun, and $100 for a conversion barrel, plus shipping and transfer.  Personally, I'll just buy a new Gen4 17.

We really need a company to start making cheap parts kits, or just cheap slides and barrels.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

"CHEAP"?  That isn't the point of 80%.  If you want cheap just buy a used factory Glock.  The Spectre is great for someone who wants a totally custom pistol.  I built mine in .357 Sig using parts mostly from Lone Wolf.  Not a single factory Glock part in it.  I went with Lone Wolf's G22/G31 slide and I already had a G22 .357 Sig conversion barrel.  Sure, it cost a lot more than a "real" Glock...  but pretty much everything in it is extended, upgraded or custom -- I'm digging the extended mag release, slide lock and takedown.  The upgraded trigger is lighter and smoother than my Gen2 G22.  But the main reasons for doing 80% even for ARs (where it is still cheaper to use a complete stripped lower than an 80% even though AR parts are ubiquitous) is for reasons like the satisfaction of DIY, having no markings, no serial number, no paperwork...  and most importantly of all...  saying a big FU to BATFE and all the other bed wetters who are so scared of "ghost guns".

No...  I don't want cheap.  I want good.  Prices may eventually come down a little if the Spectre becomes popular or if competitors enter the market.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 3:06:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Good looking guns folks.  Nice work and thanks for this thread.  Very interesting.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 1:31:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Lone Wolf distributing has what you need...  well, if they aren't OOS on slides...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah that's where all the parts I've decided on so far are coming from. What I'm really having trouble with is figuring out what components are and aren't included in the trigger kits. Seems like some of them leave out certain components, but I can't figure out what exactly is included and what I need to buy separately.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 5:02:12 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm very ignorant regarding aftermarket Glock parts. Is the Polymer 80 slide they're selling a good value? Or should I wait for a used Zev Tech? I was trying to get a factory Glock 17 upper but the prices are comparable to the aftermarket set ups.

I'm liking the idea of a completely custom pistol.

ETA. Not going to suppress the pistol if that matters.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 9:43:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Did my first kt. Had to buy a Mag release spring and metric drill bits. GLOCK 34. The rest i had laying around.

Link Posted: 8/13/2016 10:18:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Looks like they have a compact prototype and have the mold in production.  Shouldn't be long now for the compact.
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top