Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2016 9:52:56 PM EDT
After many many Glocks I purchased a Gen 4 Glock 34 last month for IDPA.   Its a cool gun but it came with a 4.5# (really 5.5#~) trigger where the Gen 3's were offered in 3.5#.   Anyway I have put a shit ton of rounds on her at this point and figured I would try to do something about the trigger pull because I picked up a M&P9 Pro 5" and the Trigger and sights are pretty good for out of the box.  Also out of the box the slide would drag on something when you held the trigger back and eased it forward.

I ordered a Ghost Inc EVO 3.5 kit from somewhere.   When it got here I followed the directions and got it installed since there needed to be some file work go down.  After getting it in I didn't get much of a change in trigger pull.   So off to the ole inter web I went.   I found something about a common problem with Gen 4's is the trigger bar bump.   The most common solution is to file it off.   I figured that I could try something first.  I pulled out the ole flitz and went to town on the bump surface and flat part on top of it to a nice polish.  I also polished the firing pin plunger.   After cleaning and reassembling I was able to get a nice 3.5-4 pound trigger.  Also the slide hesitation went away when you hold the trigger back.  

I also ordered a set of Dawson sights for it and installed them.  I headed off to the range and fired a couple hundred rounds through it with no issues at all.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:29:22 PM EDT
[#1]
So you figured out the 25¢ Trigger job.........
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:02:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

....That doesn't really help....
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:04:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Help?  OP made a statement not a question.........
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:37:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think he means the .25 cent trigger job doesn't help.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:40:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree I have never experienced a drastic change in the trigger after the .25 job.  I have also never experienced a drastic change using a non bump trigger bar vs a bump one.  I have even put it to a gauge and could not show data that it made a difference one way or the other.

I had heard about the myth of the bump causing heavier triggers and misc other things so I tested the theory.  I dropped a few different bars in a well used Gen3 and 4 pistol, and a barely used Gen3 and 4 pistol and then using the same pistols and same setups dropped in non bump bars and what I found was the the more worn the trigger bar and parts (higher round count) gave better trigger feel and weight.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:26:53 AM EDT
[#6]
polishing the surfaces is all fine and dandy until you take some stones and actually flatten the surfaces. it makes a big difference at that point. so does stoning the end of the cruciform, changing its angle, stoning the face of the striker and the bottom of it (or top depending how youre holding it).
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:03:37 PM EDT
[#7]
A lot of people, me included, think the Gen4 bump trigger bars are better than the Gen3 because the bump keeps the trigger bar from flexing and makes the trigger feel more crisp.  

I've never felt a $0.25 trigger job help anything.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:16:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A lot of people, me included, think the Gen4 bump trigger bars are better than the Gen3 because the bump keeps the trigger bar from flexing and makes the trigger feel more crisp.  

View Quote

I will join you in agreeing with the bump..... I have on in my G19.4 when I swapped over the the G17 trigger I got the bump bar.  It still blows my mind though that their a myth that the bump bar somehow increases the pull weight.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:21:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I looked at what your talking about online a few times and while its close its not exactly what I am talking about.  I am talking about only polishing the bump and the firing pin stop thing.  While holding the trigger back I would get slide drag and after pulling the FP stop out and testing I was 100% sure the problem was in this area.   I didn't bother messing with the other end of the bar.   The fix that popped up most common online is to file off the bump or install a Gen 3 bar.    

Someone else mentioned using a stone to square up the surfaces in this area which makes sense.  I don't have stones to do it or the ambition.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 6:46:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I will join you in agreeing with the bump..... I have on in my G19.4 when I swapped over the the G17 trigger I got the bump bar.  It still blows my mind though that their a myth that the bump bar somehow increases the pull weight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It does seem logical that adding a bump that rubs on the slide each time the trigger is pulled would result in a heavier trigger pull because of that friction. But I've never tested it. My Gen4 17 trigger was surprisingly good out of the box so I'll never mess with that one.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:05:50 PM EDT
[#11]
The main thing that makes a Gen4 trigger heavier is the angle of the trigger housing.  

A Gen3 will always have a nicer trigger.   My box stock Gen3 34 has a trigger that smokes any Gen4.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:49:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It does seem logical that adding a bump that rubs on the slide each time the trigger is pulled would result in a heavier trigger pull because of that friction. But I've never tested it. My Gen4 17 trigger was surprisingly good out of the box so I'll never mess with that one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with you somewhat....but I don't see it adding that much to the pull at all. Especially enough to add 2-3 pounds to the trigger. That doesn't make any sense to me. I should go drop in my old gen 3 trigger in my current gen 4 just to see what happens
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 6:29:32 PM EDT
[#13]
No gen 3's had the 3.5 connector other than the 17L and 34 iirc
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top