Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2016 11:49:29 AM EDT
I have a Gen 3 19 I bought used in 2004. It's been my everything gun from idpa, training courses,range days and edc. I've noticed lately I'll have some light primer strikes. (Round won't go off primer has a punch) if I put that round back into the gun it will fire. Noticed this on some old Finnish military surplus ammo & those zq rounds from Walmart.
Should I look into changing out springs and striker or is that due to crappy ammo?

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:07:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll replace the trigger spring, striker spring, recoil spring and extractor spring before a pistol hits 5000 rounds.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:16:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Replace the firing pin spring, and while you've got it apart, make sure the firing pin channel is clean and completely free of lube. Also, make sure the firing pin safety allows the firing pin to move freely when it's disengaged.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:49:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree with previous posters it sounds like you need a spring overhaul.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:01:09 PM EDT
[#4]
It's most likely a worn recoil spring but it wouldn't hurt to replace all of them
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:22:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's most likely a worn recoil spring but it wouldn't hurt to replace all of them
View Quote

One would think it more likely that it is a worn out striker spring, since you are having light strikes.. If it were mine, I would change all of the springs, trigger spring, striker spring, RSA and slide lock spring.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:56:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Yea gun has well over 5000 rounds. I'm probably pushing closer to over 15k. I have no idea how many rounds were through it before me  

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:14:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Have you ever detail stripped the slide and cleaned out the striker channel?  If you go to a GSSF match, you can probably get the armorer there to replace all the springs for free.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:31:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yea gun has well over 5000 rounds. I'm probably pushing closer to over 15k. I have no idea how many rounds were through it before me  

Thanks guys.
View Quote

You're way over due for a spring change.  Should do every 5K min.  If not, you could do some other damage-!cracked locking blocks, ovaled out hole sin frame for pins......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top