Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2016 11:00:53 AM EDT
I just picked up my first Glock, a used G19 Gen3, that I intend to use for concealed carry after I get some rounds downrange (convert from M&P, which I have thousands of rounds on).
I'm trying to get the dealer to find out the estimated round count from the original owner, and put 200 trouble free rounds through it yesterday.  

I already have ordered a bunch of Glock factory replacement parts (springs, slide lock, extractor, etc), and plan on swapping in new springs right away.  I also will be having the sights swapped (the stock dot was VERY difficult to focus on with my apparently tired eyes at an indoor range), and stipple the grip.  Internally, I'm trying to keep things as stock as possible.

Other than new springs, and a LOT of rounds of familiarization and drills, are there any other things i should look out for in regards to used Glocks?  Thanks for any help!
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:23:51 AM EDT
[#1]
3.5 pound connector. Lone wolf has them.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:25:22 AM EDT
[#2]
If it shoots good then the only thing you need to worry about is getting familiar with it and keeping it clean  Do Not over lubricate it and make sure the firing pin channel is clear of dirt and oil, you do not want oil in the firing pin channel. You want the pin to float freely.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:27:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:28:00 AM EDT
[#4]
If it runs perfectly just shoot it. Once you master the glock trigger as is you will find there is no need what so ever for extra gimmick parts. I have been running glocks of some sort since the early 1990's and never broke anything and have a recoil spring replaced free every other year when I attend a glock gssf match.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:28:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys.  I totally get function in general, I'm not new to striker fire designs.  I'm more interested in Glock specifically, and if anyone is aware of known issues to watch out for, or absolute must do upgrades (I'm set for sights, grip, etc).  

Regarding the connector, I'm really wanting to keep things stock.  I know Glock offers a 3.5lb connector, and was thinking about it.  Is it that much of an improvement over the stock trigger pull for a carry gun?  (this will be for defensive use only, not competition).
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:09:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been shooting Glock at work and play for over 23 years. In that time I've had one Glock fail on me. It was a Gen 3 Glock 30. The slide lock spring broke. A new spring and extended slide lock and it was up and running again. I have another Glock 30 from the same period and never had a hitch. All of the Glocks I own are LEO trades. I change out the slide locks and slide stop levers to extended versions. I haven't changed any trigger parts. All of my night sights still glow so I haven't stripped the slides down and sent thenm to Glock for updating yet but that is in the cards in the future.

A thread you may want to read since you purchased a used Glock.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:14:32 PM EDT
[#7]
keep it stock, if you change anything replace the recoil spring...all you are going to do is create failures and problems putting aftermarket junk on them
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:15:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks Ed.  I was at a Magpul class and they shooter next to me had a brand new G19 (tan frame), and the slide lock broke, sending his slide downrange toward the target when it was returning to battery.  No one had a spare part, and he didn't bring a spare gun.  Luckily, several other students brought spare guns for him to run.  

I plan on keeping a decent selection of spares around, since you never know when something is going to fail, even if it's unlikely.  I'll eventually pick up another 19 as well, most likely.  Definitely a 17.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:21:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I just picked up my first Glock, a used G19 Gen3, that I intend to use for concealed carry after I get some rounds downrange (convert from M&P, which I have thousands of rounds on).
I'm trying to get the dealer to find out the estimated round count from the original owner, and put 200 trouble free rounds through it yesterday.  

I already have ordered a bunch of Glock factory replacement parts (springs, slide lock, extractor, etc), and plan on swapping in new springs right away.  I also will be having the sights swapped (the stock dot was VERY difficult to focus on with my apparently tired eyes at an indoor range), and stipple the grip.  Internally, I'm trying to keep things as stock as possible.

Other than new springs, and a LOT of rounds of familiarization and drills, are there any other things i should look out for in regards to used Glocks?  Thanks for any help!
View Quote

Do not worry about that just replace the RSA and go.  On any Glock I buy that is used I replace the recoil spring at the very minimum.  You can also gauge the round count by look at the wear (ghosting on the top and bottom of the barrel and barrel hood) on the pistol.

Also pics or it did not happen... Rules are RULES!
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:25:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks Ed.  I was at a Magpul class and they shooter next to me had a brand new G19 (tan frame), and the slide lock broke, sending his slide downrange toward the target when it was returning to battery.  No one had a spare part, and he didn't bring a spare gun.  Luckily, several other students brought spare guns for him to run.  

I plan on keeping a decent selection of spares around, since you never know when something is going to fail, even if it's unlikely.  I'll eventually pick up another 19 as well, most likely.  Definitely a 17.
View Quote

Watch online stores like Aim Sports for Gen 2 Glock 19 pistols. They pick up LEO trade ins on occasion. I think the price is a little high for a Gen 2 but they always sell out. Great spare guns. Send in the slides and for about $70 total you've got great a shooter/carry gun. I think they still have G17 pistols available. Great house gun. I'm probably going to buy a couple of their Gen 2 G19s next time out. Getting ready to retire and 9mm is a lot cheaper than 45acp.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:32:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

You mean the locking block?  Trying to imagine how this catastrophic of failure could happen......
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:49:32 PM EDT
[#12]
You mean the locking block?  Trying to imagine how this catastrophic of failure could happen......
View Quote

No, the slide lock lever (above the trigger, used to remove the slide from the frame).  It cracked or otherwise failed, allowing the slide to come off during firing, when returning to battery.  But instead of the slide stopping at the lock lever, it just kept of going forward, downrange toward the target.  The shooter still had the frame in his hand.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 2:50:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Glock Achilles heel. The one thing that will sideline a Glock. Most of the time it's the spring that breaks but guess the slide lock can go too. I've replaced all mine with extended ones but guess I should keep one of the old ones in the range bag.

As for the OP, recoil spring change and that's all I'd do. Don't worry about round counts, but you can get an idea by looking at the slide chatter marks on the barrel. The lighter / brighter they are, the more it's been fired but really doesn't matter. Polygonal rifling doesn't wear like conventional rifling, barrels are not 2 piece jobs like a Hi Power or Walther. Striker spring movement is so small it's extremely hard to actually wear one out. Unless it's broken, it will work fine. I'd hold off on the stippling also if you're going to carry unless the grip slippage is a real problem. Once done, you can't go back and you may not like it rubbing against you. I'm a big fan of the die cut 3M rubber grip tape you can find on ebay.

Just shoot, enjoy, repeat.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:57:17 AM EDT
[#14]
If you're really unsure of round count just replace all the springs after you test them for correct function. Then keep the old ones as emergency spares.  It's cheap peace of mind.

While you're detail stripping it clean it thoroughly.  Especially the striker and channel.  Although I prefer to clean my Glocks after I shoot them like any other gun,  I get the impression some owners rarely do.  Or worse yet, they just try to run them wet like their AR in place of cleaning.

Personally, I don't think the 3.5lb connector is needed in a carry gun.  I like the feel of stock better anyway.  Even with a heavy trigger spring the reset is too long.  I think it's better just to learn to shoot it as is. A well worn early gen3 I have with the 5.5lb connector actually has a much lighter trigger feel while still maintaining the reset than another gen 3 i have with the "-" and a heavy trigger return spring but only 5k rounds through it.

New sights are a must have, imo.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:41:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks.  I already have new springs on the way, and have a plan for sights (RMR is coming off my M&P and I'm sending out my slide to have it milled for said RMR soon).
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:42:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Trijicon HD Night Sights. Change nothing else, $100 that it runs as is.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 5:35:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Sights and springs would be it. I've never had to fix anything on mine after thousands of rounds.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top