Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2015 3:23:42 PM EDT
I just recently purchased the Talon Grip for my G19.4. I had a conversation with one of the fellas that works there and suggested the rubber grip. He said in his opinion that they were all around better than the skateboard tape styled due to the fact a lot of officers mentioned that the grit tape would overtime eat through any type of fabric that it came to. Also, the rubber wouldn't ride and catch your shirt as much. Has anyone had any experiences with the rubber talon grips?

I hope i made the right choice with choosing the rubber.

My dad always told me to use rubbers when in doubt...
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:25:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I have both versions on various models. I like both.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 6:19:36 PM EDT
[#2]
For carry I prefer rubber but for shooting I prefer the sandpaper type.     I like the Traction Grips rubber style I recently got for my G43 pretty well, half the price and they seem about the same as my Talon rubber version grip tape.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:39:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got Talon rubber grips on my G19, G43, and G42, and love them.  I have no experience with the sandpaper grips, but I highly recommend the rubber.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:11:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Any of the sandpaper type grips will suck for a carry gun.  It is hard on clothing and harder on skin.  The first USPSA match I shot with grip tape on my gun, my forearm was raw by the end of the day from brushing against the grip as I walked around the range.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:02:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any of the sandpaper type grips will suck for a carry gun.  It is hard on clothing and harder on skin.  The first USPSA match I shot with grip tape on my gun, my forearm was raw by the end of the day from brushing against the grip as I walked around the range.
View Quote

Ouch. sounds like a made a wise choice of going with the rubber instead or sand!
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 5:25:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Do the talon grips peel off much over time?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:04:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Do the talon grips peel off much over time?
View Quote

If you install them properly per the instructions (alcohol prep pad, then hair dryer) they don't go anywhere. 2+ years on mine and going strong.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:35:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I love the grit grips the best, however I now use the rubber one  on my g19 for carry.  I switched for carry because the grit would sometimes catch on clothing and ride up, leaving me unaware of an obvious gun under my shirt.  I didn't notice the grit against my skin though, like some people worry about.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:04:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I love the grit grips the best, however I now use the rubber one  on my g19 for carry.  I switched for carry because the grit would sometimes catch on clothing and ride up, leaving me unaware of an obvious gun under my shirt.  I didn't notice the grit against my skin though, like some people worry about.
View Quote

The guy at Talon said that using 120 grit sandpaper lightly on the skateboard tape grip would help smooth it down some to cause less shirt grabbing and less coarse. I was just a little hesitant at first about the rubber, because I wondered if it was really tacky and would allow any and everything to cling to it. such as lint, dirt, sand, clothing, etc.

The grip will be here next week.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:58:59 PM EDT
[#10]
The rubber is not tacky at all, yet it provides good traction and enables a better purchase for me than stock.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:47:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I have Talon rubber grips on every gun that I carry. You really appreciate them after a day of shooting outdoors in 100+ heat.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:44:28 AM EDT
[#12]
I've got the granulated (sandpaper) version of the Talon grip.  I don't carry and I wanted a more aggressive grip than the rubber version.  Only had it a few months now so time will till how it holds up.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:14:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I sure hope they work as well for me as they seem to do for others!
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:55:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I like the rubber-ish ones from traction grips
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:10:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Is there much of a difference between Talon grips and Traction grips? Is one superior to the other?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:18:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Not sure on any differences.

Ended up stippling them all.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:10:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Not sure on any differences.

Ended up stippling them all.
View Quote

did you get just stippling or other mods to the grip?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:16:25 PM EDT
[#18]
the grip came in and I love it! excellent traction. Now I just need to see how great they hold up to NC humidity!

http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/Smith919/media/IMG_6070_zpsdjelt679.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top