Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2015 4:08:33 PM EDT
I came to a realization during dry fire practice the other day why the G19's grip doesn't work for me.  It's actually not that stupid hump they have put on the backstrap, it's the flatness of the grip on the left and right side.  It dawned on me when I was shooting my 1911s...one of them has what's called slimline grips, they're basically very thin and very flat.  The other has regular grips, which are somewhat rounded.  The one with flat stocks is an expensive match grade gun that I only shoot mediocre groups with.  The other one is a bottom of the barrel cheapo, but because of the rounded grips with palm swells on them, I hold that 1911 much better and shoot it much better.

I think my shooting with my G19 would be considerably better if something could be done to give the grip palm swells to either side.  Does anyone make anything that might accomplish this?
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 4:11:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the laser on mine that pins through the handle giving it a little more girth. When I get home I can look who it comes from, as I don't remember.

ETA:
this is what was on it when I bought it from a private owner.
ETA2: and yes it's on a G19
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 4:48:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Duct tape?
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:08:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I have big hands and a few months back I wished Glock would make a palm swell to fill my hand like the 1911 does.  This is one of the things I always wish the Gen4 would have added along with a rounded muzzle end to the slide and a ambi-lever mag release.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 8:07:14 PM EDT
[#4]
i've seen some type of rubber grip that works
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 10:53:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I traded my 1911 for a G21 just yesterday and the guy had a hogue rubber grip sleeve on the Glock that fits really well in my hand. And it feels a lot like what you're describing.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 11:47:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Hogue works but adds a lot of bulk.

I wrap my grip. You can build up palm swell underneath a wrap. I've used gorilla tape and cut progressively smaller pieces to make 1911ish palm swell. Did that under A-grip.

I currently use simple cloth hockey tape.  A-grip was great but didn't fit my reduced grip.

Eta: current.  This is only 1 or 2 extra layers of tape on the sides. I also built up the bottom of the front strap like a PPQ.

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 4:55:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Hogue handall has nice palmswells.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 5:29:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't have unusually large hands; but I do use Hogue Handall Rubber Grip Sleeves on all of my Glocks -  including the G-21's.  For me they work very well; and, yes, I like the raised palm swells!
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 5:52:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Looking for the same thing on my 43.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 5:55:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Another vote for Hogue Handalls.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 6:38:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Comment removed.  - DV8

Warning sent.  Keep the GD comments in GD.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 5:58:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hogue works but adds a lot of bulk.

I wrap my grip. You can build up palm swell underneath a wrap. I've used gorilla tape and cut progressively smaller pieces to make 1911ish palm swell. Did that under A-grip.

I currently use simple cloth hockey tape.  A-grip was great but didn't fit my reduced grip.

Eta: current.  This is only 1 or 2 extra layers of tape on the sides. I also built up the bottom of the front strap like a PPQ.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3792/18932048010_f5c160368e.jpg

View Quote

That's actually pretty interesting.  Might try that.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:11:37 PM EDT
[#13]
As stated many times before me, hogue. Just bought my buddy one for his G21
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:48:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have tried the hogue and for me the rubber gets slippery once the sweating starts in South Texas.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:19:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I have tried the hogue and for me the rubber gets slippery once the sweating starts in South Texas.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The humidity here in NC is unreal, so I know what you mean. You can just think about going outside and start sweating. He gave me the money to buy him one, since he works a job during the morning and day then another at night. I just purchased the Talon rubber grip for my 19. I can't wait to see how it is. I figured this would be a much wiser choice than to get my grip stippled. Even the gen4 grips don't provide enough traction for my liking.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:02:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Glock has a fix for that.

they call it a G30
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:28:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

they call it a G30
View Quote

I couldn't agree more. I love carrying the 19 and shoot it fairly well if I work at it, but I shoot the 30 the best by far.

The lack of palm swell on the 19 is my issue as well. I have been tempted to have one of the companies that do grip reductions try to do a grip "rounding" and put in palm swells.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:34:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

they call it a G30
View Quote

The G30 has raised up palm swells?  Didn't know that, might have to look for one.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:40:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Hogue. Ends up on all my 9/40 Glocks for the reason the OP described.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:09:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Put on the Hogue and then cover it with an Agrip.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:09:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
The G30 has raised up palm swells?  Didn't know that, might have to look for one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

they call it a G30

No, just that it's .45 so the grip is wider.

Hogue is slippery when wet. Used to have one. Hockey tape and A grip are not. Probably more grippy when wet.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:12:03 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I couldn't agree more. I love carrying the 19 and shoot it fairly well if I work at it, but I shoot the 30 the best by far.

The lack of palm swell on the 19 is my issue as well. I have been tempted to have one of the companies that do grip reductions try to do a grip "rounding" and put in palm swells.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

they call it a G30

That's what i did. Works really well. Basically you sand the corners between the front and sides of the grip.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:19:17 PM EDT
[#24]

Then you have to permanently cover it, but that's what i used for my reduction basically.

I suspect the pros are using a plastic epoxy. That way it can be stippled afterwards.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:29:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Then you have to permanently cover it, but that's what i used for my reduction basically.    

I suspect the pros are using a plastic epoxy. That way it can be stippled afterwards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Or you can do a marine tex stippling afterwards.  It's what I do, although I don't add palm swells.  Wouldn't be hard to do though.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:46:06 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Or you can do a marine tex stippling afterwards.  It's what I do, although I don't add palm swells.  Wouldn't be hard to do though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Please clarify. You can solder iron stipple that stuff?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:25:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Once the grip profile is done, tape off where you don't want stippled.  Coat the rest with a very thin coat of marine tex.  Let it set for ~30 minutes.  Take a sponge to it.  As you pull the sponge away it will create a stippled surface.  Once the marine tex has cured sand down any sharp points.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:32:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

they call it a G30

I got my G30 in a trade I made to get another gun . The G30 felt like a 2X4 to me , didn't like it at all . To make things worse I have 10s of thousands of rounds through my 3 1911s . I have come to the conclusion the huge honking grip forces me to grip it firmly and exactly the same every time . I shoot it very very well . Still feels like crap
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:58:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Another question occurs to me.

Suppose I were to have the Glock hump removed with a grip reduction.  Would the Hogue Handall still work on the reduced grip?  Anyone ever try that?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:31:52 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Suppose I were to have the Glock hump removed with a grip reduction.  Would the Hogue Handall still work on the reduced grip?  Anyone ever try that?
View Quote

Depends on reduction level but i wouldn't depend on it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:12:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually he tried the Hogue on his 21 and liked it... Then i put the rubber TALON grip on my g19 and let him hold and shoot with it. Now he has ordered a rubber TALON grip for his 21. Never thought something so cheap and simple would make such a difference. PLUS it doesn't bulk up the grip. This might be another option, since he complained about having too big of hands for the normal grip and a simple Talon did the trick...
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:14:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try some TALON grip tape. they sell precuts that are made for grips with grooves, but it probably wouldn't matter. Also, they have sheets of it too. Just call them and ask for their opinion on what to do. They were very friendly folks when I called them with some questions.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 11:19:58 AM EDT
[#33]
I went and got the hogue and put it on my G19 yesterday.  I installed the medium sized backstrap (since medium is supposed to be closest to the standard G19 grip).  It's definitely a considerable improvement.  I don't think it's enough for me to keep the gun, however.  I don't even begin to have the money to get something else right now, and the Hogue on the G19 will be good enough until the financial situation changes.  When I get the money, however, it's going to be a CZ75D PCR or an HK VP9.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top