Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2015 1:07:21 PM EDT
I'll be picking up a gen 4 19 in the next couple weeks and am looking to order some ammo in bulk to break it in at the range.  I was wondering what recommendations yall might have about cheap ammo that would be good to run through a new gun.  I've shot glocks before with cheap tulammo but this is my first handgun and would like to know if there's anything to avoid specifically for a new gun.  Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 1:19:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm sure it's just personal preference, but I get tight groups and a fairly clean gun from Federal American Eagle (and it comes in 115, 124 and 147gr).  That said, I've been shooting Sellier & Belloit 115 for the last few weeks and have had no problems.  I mainly care about reliability and accuracy.  I'm not into the Freedom Munitions since I had a bad experience with their .380 100gr that wouldn't run in 3 different guns--and their CS basically said, "not our problem, take a hike."  Lately, even a guy they sponsor came out questioning their QC.  Blazer didn't group well for me.  But different guns like different ammo.  It may group great in someone else's Glock.

I'd like to know others favorite and why.  Also hoping this S&B is good stuff.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 3:04:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Speer Lawman 124 grain is my favorite range ammo. ETA: I prefer it because it is loaded very consistent and it is clean and accurate.

Having said that, my 19 (a gen 3) hasn't had an issue with anything I've fed it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 3:05:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I've shot about 600 rounds of Tula, Federal Aluminum, WWB, Perfecta and ZQI through mine without issue. I didn't really test each brand for accuracy though, just function. The ZQI is NATO spec so it's a little hotter than the standard 115gr. loads. I bought everything at Walmart, but I haven't seen the ZQI for a while. Tula and Perfecta are $10.97 a box. The Federal Aluminum was like $9.97 a box, and the WWB was $26 and change for the 100 round value pack. That's without tax.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 3:14:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Speer Lawman 124 grain is my favorite range ammo. ETA: I prefer it because it is loaded very consistent and it is clean and accurate.

Having said that, my 19 (a gen 3) hasn't had an issue with anything I've fed it.
View Quote

Lawman is great ammo.  I've shot about 8K of 124 this year and I had one bad primer.  

I also like S&B and Federal American Eagle.   I'll also shoot anything decent.  Doesn't really matter.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 3:20:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I have shot Speer Lawman 115 gr round nose, Sellior &Bellot, Federal, Winchester 124 gr. NATO, and some I can't remember through my Glock 19. All have fed and functioned just fine. If I do my part, they all seem to hit where I aim at. Used this gun in GSSF matches last year. I have also shot some high $$ defense loads through it with no problem.

Thanks,
Mark
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 3:21:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Speer Lawman is the top dog; Blazer/Blazer Brass is what I buy if I can't find Speer.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 6:28:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I have had no issues with any brass cased ammo in my glocks. I bought cheap and was satisfied.

I reload now.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 6:39:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the recommendations everyone.  Unfortunately the shipping for a lot of the bulk packs seems a bit steep.  But it sounds like I'd be ok just buying whatever's cheap at somewhere like walmart.  I know glocks are reliable but I'm just looking for anything I should avoid for the first few hundred rounds of my gun.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 7:11:57 PM EDT
[#9]
my G34 did not shoot any factory 115grain well at distances over 20y.... I shoot Federal 147 or Federal American Eagle 147 for large matches... reload Precision Delta 147s with WSF for everything else
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 7:16:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Look in the "ammunition" forum for deals (some places have free shipping occasionally).  I figure if I'm buying $150-$200 worth of ammo, $15 shipping is about what I'd pay in taxes anyway...and gun-store prices are insane.  They want $15 for practice stuff, and $20-$30 for 20-25rds of defensive stuff.  I end up paying $11.50-$13 for boxes of 50, even when I buy 10-20 boxes.    

The only reason I don't get Speer Lawman is that I prefer softer shooting practice ammo.  I was 100% with Federal AE and S&B, but the other day had my first bad primer (5 strikes and it wouldn't go) with AE 115gr (after about 1.3K rounds).

NOTE:  I ONLY buy 50rd boxes of Defensive stuff....I don't think anyone should support all these 20rd/25rd boxes for $20-$30.  Not when you can get Speer GD, Winchester PDX, Federal HST, etc., for $25-$32 for 50rds all day online.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 7:41:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Freedom Munitions 115 grain has been great in mine.  Their new ammo, have not tried reman loads.  Winchester white box, Speer TMJ, and Federal Classic Hi Shock have also shot great with Federal Hi Shock being the most accurate.  Federal aluminum case, and Remington green and white box function fine in my Glock 19, but the groups open up alittle bit more.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 1:03:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I use both the Federal aluminum cased 9mm and the Perfecta brand brass cased stuff at the range (Walmart ammo).  It's cheap and I have not had any issues with either up to this point.

At home the gun stays loaded with Blazer Brass, though.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:28:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I use both the Federal aluminum cased 9mm and the Perfecta brand brass cased stuff at the range (Walmart ammo).  It's cheap and I have not had any issues with either up to this point.

At home the gun stays loaded with Blazer Brass, though.
View Quote

+1 for the Federal Aluminum. My Glock eats it like candy.

-1 for Brass Maxxx (Perfecta) Locked my slide and numerous FTF. Not a bad deal though, YMMV.

ETA: Check out SGAMMO They have great prices on Speer Lawman, PPU, and other brands. I recently ordered 1000 rds of 115 gr PPU for the range.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:12:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Use AimSurplus.com or SGAmmo.com

Wolf
Geco
Privi-Partizan
PPU

Any of the above are GTG for range ammo, I just buy whatever is cheapest at the time
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:08:17 AM EDT
[#15]
 Me?  I go through thousands of rounds of 9 x 19mm every year.  I used to reload; but at the price Walmart sells 9mm for it just wasn't worth the time or effort to continue.  (For personal reasons it was, also, time for me to divest myself of my reloading equipment, and finally quit what had become an habitual avocation.  I'd been at it for almost 40 years; I didn't really want to quit; but, hey, I'm not getting any younger; I'd, also, heard too many gun club stories from other gunmen within my own generation; and I knew it was just time.)  

Here's what I've discovered about store-bought pistol ammo:  I've found Lawman to be too expensive and simply not worth the higher price.  Lawman fires OK; but it's a lackluster round that I wouldn't use unless I couldn't find anything else.  For what it is (crap) Remington UMC is almost always too expensive; and it's filthy dirty to shoot - Even filthier than equally anemic Winchester, 'White Box'.  (If that's possible!)

I don't use aluminum-cased ammo unless there's absolutely nothing else available.  Neither do I use any Combloc commercial export ammo.  CCI Blazer Aluminum or Brass is more incredibly crappy ammo.  It's not quite as dirty as, say, UMC or White Box; but it's dirty enough!  The crimped case mouths are frequently loose, and don't resist push-pressure against the bullet nose well.  Neither are the case mouths or primer pockets properly waterproof.  If you leave a box out in even a heavy fog some of the cartridges aren't going to fire the way they should.  (Besides, aluminum and steel cartridge cases are never the best thing to run through your gun, anyway.  On occasion I do use Blazer ammo; but, at the same time, I understand it's weaknesses.)  

You can, probably, tell from the above comments that I don't use Wolf, or Tula.  What I've, pretty much, standardized on (When I can find it) is Federal/ATK, 'Champion' or, 'American Eagle'; and Remington, 'Green Box' pistol ammunition.  All of it is affordable decent RANGE QUALITY practice ammunition.  Neither do I have any objection to using PMC, 'Bronze'; or Fiocchi, 'Shooting Dynamics'.  

Fiocchi, 'Perfecta' is one of the newer brands Walmart carries.  It's very nice looking, well-made, and reliable firing ammo; but I haven't had a lot of experience with it, yet.  So far, though, I like it.  (Over the years I've always had good luck with Fiocchi pistol ammo; and I especially like Fiocchi ammunition; but I only rarely run across it, on-line, at what I consider to be a decent price.)  

Whenever I walk into any gun shop, or gun show I always look around at the ammo.  I keep my eye out when I'm on-line, too.  If the price is particularly good I'll even buy a case.  (By, 'good' I mean at, or around, $250.00.)  
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:27:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I just ran a Massad Ayoob MAG40 course with 600 rounds of Tula in a G19 lol

- Clint
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:35:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Blazer Brass works good, some good price if you look around.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:47:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Perfecta
WWB
Monarch brass
Federal Aluminum, $10/box at Walmart
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:24:00 AM EDT
[#19]
I run a lot of TULA  and Federal aluminum through my G19.
No issues and no brass to collect.
Simply not worth reloading when ammo is so cheap.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:58:09 AM EDT
[#20]
I buy the cheapest 9mm ammo I can find. I'm not looking for sub moa accuracy at 25 yards.

I practice the majority of my shooting 15yds and in. (Mostly 5-10yds)

With that being said, I buy Tulammo, Perfecta, and Herters.   Spending $15+ on 9mm target ammo is retarded to me when it comes to a handgun. Bench shooting a pistol for accuracy is

I like perfecta due to being brass. But, it's irrelevant because I don't reload. But, for the same price as the others...
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:26:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Check out slickguns.com

Gander mtn has a great price on 9mms  250 umc bulk. $59.99. Shipped free.

http://www.slickguns.com/product/remington-umc-250-rd-mega-pack-9mm-5999-plus-sales-tax-5999

Use code BEFRUGAL10 for 10% off over $100

Txl
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:13:18 AM EDT
[#22]
I've been running freedom munitions in my Glock 22 .40cal, and my father has had decent luck with expansion industries 9mm, he got a bad batch from them, where he had a couple FTF's and ONE squib (this is reman ammo) and they paid shipping to get all the bad ammo back, and sent him 500 more, no questions asked. When you're dealing with re-man ammo, and have customer service like that, it's hard to complain. For the record, I was able to pop that squib out of the barrel with a steel punch wrapped in tape (to protect the barrel).

The squib happened when I was shooting his Glock 19 on one of my weekends home from school.

Personally I like freedom munitions, and they have free shipping on first order, and free shipping on orders over 100 dollars running right now.

(I wouldn't use anything but brand new ammo for SD, or prepping ammo, but re-man is good for range use)

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:28:33 AM EDT
[#23]
WWB, American Eagle, UMC,is  all I use at the range to burn through my Glock 19 without any issues.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:06:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Blazer Brass works good, some good price if you look around.
View Quote

Blazer Brass works good for me also. I found some at a good price!
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:17:37 AM EDT
[#25]
G19's shoot pretty much anything.

Buy whats cheap for the range and be done with it.

Discussing which range ammo for a G19 is best is like discussing what what brand of paperclips work the best at holding paper together.

Just buy any bulk factory ammo at the best price and start shooting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top