Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2015 10:05:56 AM EDT
I received this in trade. Anyone know what kind of spring this is? Still waiting on original owner to respond.  It came apart at the range and I had to tighten down that screw in the spring. It retains everything from popping out

I've never seen or used springs outside of OEM Glock. Should I lock tight that down?

Link Posted: 7/24/2015 10:19:08 AM EDT
[#1]
It looks like pretty much any/every aftermarket 1-piece guiderod made for a Glock, with a Gen 4 adapter and an ISMI spring. There are very few options for Gen 4 captured rods that DON'T look like that. But yes, you should use blue locktite on that screw.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 11:50:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I would probably just spend $20 and get a new OEM Glock recoil spring.  I'm always wary of aftermarket springs of unknown origin, you never know if the guy put in a lighter spring to shoot light loads, then when you shoot normal loads through the pistol, you beat the shit out of the barrel lug and locking block.

ETA: Upon further review, that appears to be a Zev Technologies guide rod.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 12:07:37 PM EDT
[#3]
FWIW - You can get a new ISMI spring for about $8 if you're unsure of the weight or round count on that spring. Factory weight is 18# but I use 15# springs in all of my Glock 19s and 17s.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 5:19:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah that design shoots loose all the time.  If it were mine, I'd use a small drop of PURPLE (#222) Loctite to hold it in place for the next 4 or 5 thousand rounds.  Then I'd change it out for something else without an end screw.  Standard recoil spring weight on a G-17 is 17, not 18 lb.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 5:51:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Probably one of these http://www.glockstore.com/tungsten-competition-recoil-spring-for-glocks
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 9:24:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Do not loctite that screw it will be a bitch to replace the spring some day........ Ask me how I know.  I would just get a stock spring and go.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 9:39:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Dat username...

Love your cover of Imagine
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 11:12:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks like an Arotek SS captured guide rod with a flat wound IMSI spring.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 12:01:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do not loctite that screw it will be a bitch to replace the spring some day........ Ask me how I know.  I would just get a stock spring and go.
View Quote

Nope!  You, obviously, don't understand the numbered Loctite formulas, or how to use the several different types correctly; but, what the hey, this is the Internet!    
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 1:16:49 PM EDT
[#10]
For what it's worth, I had 3 brand new factory Glock springs pop the ends off the plastic guide rods sitting in a drawer. Self-dis-assembly. Nothing's foolproof.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 12:30:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Nope!  You, obviously, don't understand the numbered Loctite formulas, or how to use the several different types correctly; but, what the hey, this is the Internet!    
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do understand the different types.....  I also change my spring weights often when shooting different loads.  Loctite just makes it more of a PITA.  I also never have had the screw come loose with no loctite if it is tightened properly.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 4:49:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I do understand the different types.....  I also change my spring weights often when shooting different loads.  Loctite just makes it more of a PITA.  I also never have had the screw come loose with no loctite if it is tightened properly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you say so then it's fine with me!  The use of purple Loctite is such a simple solution for such an annoying problem, though!  

Before I started using Wolff Gunsprings' steel guide rods I used both Lone Wolf, and Aro-Tek RSA's with those little screws in the end.  Until I finally started to use purple Loctite on them, those little screws would shoot loose at almost every range session!  (I've still got an extra packet of them in my gun bag.)  

It's not difficult to get purple, #222 Loctite to release.  Even blue Loctite, #242 can be made to release with a little heat, and/or Kroil.  It's the red Loctite, #271 that requires an, 'Act of God' in order to release.  Lots and lots of pistols have become thoroughly screwed - and I do mean, 'thoroughly screwed' - by the use of red Loctite!  

(Which, over the years, I have come to believe has absolutely no good use on a Glock; AND that includes the sights, too.  Purple or blue Loctite is all anyone should ever need.  In 13 years, and through almost 50,000 fired rounds, I've never had a front sight fastened on with blue Loctite come off a Glock.  Red Loctite, on the other hand, once cost me almost $100 to have the sights machined off one of my slides!  That was the last time I ever allowed a new sight set to be installed while I wasn't watching!)  
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:34:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks everyone. Anyone wanna this spring?
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:52:34 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Thanks everyone. Anyone wanna this spring?
View Quote
Not sure, but are you offering to give it away...?

I wouldn't mind trying it out if so....
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 12:53:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Hoping for an OEM trade.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:26:57 PM EDT
[#16]
OEM ones are dirt cheap.  Keep this one.  It is a helluva product.  Add some blue loctite and you're set.  I run a stainless G19 RSA on my SD9VE.  I used blue loctite too.  My Gen 3 G17 runs an OEM spring for the time being.  Maybe a stainless one when it is time to replace...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top