Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/18/2015 3:56:08 AM EDT
Just curious, is there anybody who has gone from using a G19 for EDC and switched over to a G23? I always see on here people switching from G23 to G19 but can't seem to recall the reverse.

I am considering picking up a G23 to rotate my G19 out of my EDC load. Anybody else do this?
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:28:40 AM EDT
[#1]
It's going backwards...
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:39:10 AM EDT
[#2]
A Glock 23 is basically a Glock 19 that is more expensive to shoot, harder to shoot accurately, and has less magazine capacity to make up for it......
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:51:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got both and enjoy both. With reloading the cost difference is minimal.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:53:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A Glock 23 is basically a Glock 19 that is more expensive to shoot, harder to shoot accurately, and has less magazine capacity to make up for it......
View Quote

Huh that's weird because I shoot a G23 as well as my G19. I agree on the less capacity and that range ammo is a tad more expensive. Defensive ammo seems to be equal in cost to 9mm. The cost for .40 range ammo doesn't really bother me as I am used to buying .45 which is a good bit more than .40.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 5:39:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Six or so years ago I had to switch from G19 to G23. I felt I could shoot the G23 as well as I had been shooting the G19, so no complaints at the time of initial switch. A couple years ago I had the option to switch back to G19 and I did so. Going from the G23 back to the G19 made me feel like I was cheating when shooting the G19. It was noticeably easier to shoot and I was faster on follow up shots. YMMV and all that, but so many people tout the benefits of the 9mm over the .40 in the same platform, and I just have to agree with that.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 7:36:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I kinda want a 22 or 23 just to shoot buffalo bores 200 grain hard cast load
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 7:40:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Wouldn't even consider it. I have glocks in different sizes and calibers, none of which are .40.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 7:55:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Huh that's weird because I shoot a G23 as well as my G19.
View Quote

So you're the one.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 8:06:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I own two of each, I carry a 23 more often then the 19.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 8:13:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I kinda want a 22 or 23 just to shoot buffalo bores 200 grain hard cast load
View Quote

They're not that noticeably different.  Makes it feel like a .357 sig to me.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 8:22:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:  

Good job!  Abso frigg 'in lutely!    

Quoted:  
Huh that's weird because I shoot a G23 as well as my G19. I agree on the less capacity and that range ammo is a tad more expensive. Defensive ammo seems to be equal in cost to 9mm. The cost for .40 range ammo doesn't really bother me as I am used to buying .45 which is a good bit more than .40.

All of which tells me a lot about camoman; e.g.:  Young, strong, male, short arms (?), practices a lot; and is, at the present time, gainfully employed.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 8:49:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

The accuracy point is hit or miss.....I have both and shoot my 23 more accurately than my 19...they are both accurate but the edge goes to the 23 when I'm shooting paper.  Harder to shoot accurately would have to be due to recoil and in my opinion recoil is mental 99% of the time....if you don't think about recoil it's rarely a problem.

I would agree with the ammo cost being higher but if you look back about a year ago 9mm was hard to get and demanding a premium in the shops that had it....at the same time every Walmart around had .40 sitting on the shelf.   Currently the shortage appears to be over but it will happen again, the best case is you have both which leads to the advantage with the 23....you can put a 9mm conversion barrel in it and shoot 9 or keep the stock barrel and shoot .40 so you have better availability.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 9:12:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The accuracy point is hit or miss.....I have both and shoot my 23 more accurately than my 19 ... they are both accurate but the edge goes to the 23 when I'm shooting paper.  Harder to shoot accurately would have to be due to recoil and in my opinion recoil is mental 99% of the time....if you don't think about recoil it's rarely a problem.  .......  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The accuracy point is hit or miss.....I have both and shoot my 23 more accurately than my 19 ... they are both accurate but the edge goes to the 23 when I'm shooting paper.  Harder to shoot accurately would have to be due to recoil and in my opinion recoil is mental 99% of the time....if you don't think about recoil it's rarely a problem.  .......  

OK, I'll get serious.  No!  Recoil is NOT mental; and it is always a problem.  There's mechanical recoil, perceived recoil, and the shooter's inherent and/or acquired ability to manage recoil.  Personally, (and I used to do a great deal of pistol shooting) I don't think anyone is qualified to talk intelligently about any sort of recoil UNTIL AFTER HE'S ABLE TO DEMONSTRATE THE ABILITY TO FIRE VERY RAPIDLY with all of his shots, at whatever distance, fired into the -0/-1 area (or center) of an IDPA target.  THAT is successful recoil management, done by someone who knows what he's talking about!
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 9:18:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

OK, I'll get serious.  No!  Recoil is NOT mental; and it is always a problem.  There's mechanical recoil, perceived recoil, and the shooter's inherent and/or acquired ability to manage recoil.  Personally, (and I used to do a great deal of pistol shooting) I don't think anyone is qualified to talk intelligently about any sort of recoil UNTIL AFTER HE'S ABLE TO DEMONSTRATE THE ABILITY TO FIRE VERY RAPIDLY with all of his shots, at whatever distance, fired into the -0/-1 area (or center) of an IDPA target.  THAT is successful recoil management, done by someone who knows what he's talking about!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So anyone who disagrees with you lacks intelligence....it must be great being an internet king.   Enjoy that pedestal you place yourself on and I'll continue to aimlessly ring the steel with my virtually impossible to control .40's  I will also continue to say recoil is 99% mental regardless of what the internet pros preach.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 9:47:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

All of which tells me a lot about camoman; e.g.:  Young, strong, male, short arms (?), practices a lot; and is, at the present time, gainfully employed.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  

Quoted:  

Five out of six ain't bad lol.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 9:55:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So anyone who disagrees with you lacks intelligence....it must be great being an internet king.   Enjoy that pedestal you place yourself on and I'll continue to aimlessly ring the steel with my virtually impossible to control .40's  I will also continue to say recoil is 99% mental regardless of what the internet pros preach.
View Quote

I'll bet you did well in school!    I didn't smear you; I corrected you instead; but, by way of reply, you attempted to smear me.  

It might have been worse, though.  You could have shown up on the firing line; and I'd have been stuck with the unenviable job of trying to get through to that, 'open mind' of yours.  Lighten up, Junior.  Anyone who's been on the Internet for a while knows that ad hominem attacks are most often intended to cover up and draw other readers' attention away from an exposure of some dirt shoveler's published mistake.  (You're not fooling anyone!)  
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 11:03:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

.End of thread.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 11:47:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

.End of thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

.End of thread.

Basically. The 19 is the perfect balance of size, weight, capacity, and caliber. Switching it to .40 throws of the balance by lowering the capacity and increasing the caliber/recoil which the pistol is too light for. A Sig 229 is a heavy pistol and tames .357 and .40 quite nicely, but the 19/23 is too light for the extra recoil. Not that they can't be shot accurately, but they can't be run like a 19 can it comes down to rapid accurate firing.

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 1:51:00 PM EDT
[#19]
These always show who doesn't bring a shot timer to the range.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:02:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Basically. The 19 is the perfect balance of size, weight, capacity, and caliber. Switching it to .40 throws of the balance by lowering the capacity and increasing the caliber/recoil which the pistol is too light for. A Sig 229 is a heavy pistol and tames .357 and .40 quite nicely, but the 19/23 is too light for the extra recoil. Not that they can't be shot accurately, but they can't be run like a 19 can it comes down to rapid accurate firing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

.End of thread.

Well said.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:28:08 PM EDT
[#21]
I loaned my G19 to my dad. The 19 is the perfect gun for a new pistol shooter.

I carry my G23 now, and have a spare G23. I don't notice the recoil.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:50:03 PM EDT
[#22]
The only negative is ammo cost. Recoil difference in a Gen 4 is perceptible but negligible. I have 9mm because I like 9mm; the .40 I do own is because I have to carry a .40.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 11:29:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I did a few years back. I got a job where I got .40 for free, so I switched. I have since moved on and have to pay for my ammo again. I tried to switch back to my 19, but I just felt more comfortable with my 23. And I shoot it very accurately. Recoil is not an issue. Plus it's nice having the same felt recoil with practice ammo as with my carry ammo.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 12:56:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Shot timer??? WTF does a shot timer have to do with seld defense? Nothing thats what. So many ,so clueless. You !might get 1-2 shots off in a self defense scenario. I want those to be as big and powerful as I can get. 9mm is a 38 special, how many here would suggest a 38 for defense? Not many.  I switched from a 19 to a 23 and 32 and couldn't be more pleased with my decision. I don't drink the 9mm is just as good as anything koolaid.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 1:17:33 AM EDT
[#25]
I went 23 to 19 and never looked back.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 6:42:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Shot timer??? WTF does a shot timer have to do with seld defense? Nothing thats what. So many ,so clueless. You !might get 1-2 shots off in a self defense scenario. I want those to be as big and powerful as I can get. 9mm is a 38 special, how many here would suggest a 38 for defense? Not many.  I switched from a 19 to a 23 and 32 and couldn't be more pleased with my decision. I don't drink the 9mm is just as good as anything koolaid.
View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 7:54:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is some powerful trolling right there
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 8:19:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Once you meet your accuracy standard, whatever it may be. Then the goal is multiple hits as fast as possible while maintaining that accuracy standard.

For me, simple drills like seven rounds on a playing card at seven yards, in three seconds or less, is much easier with a 19 than a 23
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 3:53:14 PM EDT
[#29]

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this but here's my 2 cents.

If you want the G23 get it.  I'd keep the G19 for a bit to see how you get along with the 23.  The 23 will allow you the option of the conversion barrel.  All extra mags for your 19 will work.  If you reload, cost difference to shoot is not much.  Maybe 3 cents or so a round, or cheaper if you stock up on bulk sales.  

Myself, I tend to shoot 40 cal more accurately than 9.  Now this is a personal thing, and I feel tied to several aspects of my shooting.  I tend to concentrate a bit harder, take my time a bit more, etc.. with 40 b/c it does recoil more etc...  I don't compete in matches.  I am a more beginner trainer, and for whatever reason in both Glock and M&P platforms I can shoot 40 as well, if not better than 9.  I find in 9mm my loads are very specific if I want accuracy.  In my 40 reloads, just about anything works very well.

I also agree with a previous poster who mentioned that when you go back to 9mm it almost feels like cheating.  For carry, by all means I'd do 9mm.  No real reason not to.  Ballistics are all "supposed" to be very similar with modern JHP duty ammo, plus capacity and controllability considerations.  Yes when I get my CCW I'll carry 9mm.  However, if you want to really get your mechanics down, and really train hard, IMO the 40 helps as long as you get along with it.  What I mean by that, is I have a friend who just cannot shoot 40.  Thow him on a 9mm and he's ok, not a great shooter, but ok.  On the 40 he's twitching before the shot anticipating the recoil etc...  He does this a bit with 9mm as well, but it's way amplified on the 40.  But if you can get along with the 40, IMO it will help you to shoot the 9mm better as the 9 just seems so easy afterwards.  I compare it to when the slugger is on deck and swinging two bats with weights, and then goes up to bat.  

Link Posted: 7/19/2015 4:03:23 PM EDT
[#30]
I own both and, as mentioned, can shoot both equally accurate. It just depends on which one I grab in the morning as to which one gets carried, my Fobus holster doesn't care and neither do I.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 9:00:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At least I hope that is what is.

Link Posted: 7/19/2015 9:43:14 PM EDT
[#32]
I have both and still choose the g23 over the 19. I love shooting it and I shoot it very well.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 9:07:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/20/2015 9:18:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Yep,  and happy with the decision.  Still use same milt sparks holster.

My first Glock was a 20.  The 23 is a pussycat.

I carry g22 mags as spares.

Txl
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 12:01:30 PM EDT
[#35]
I have both. I like the g23 the best.  I started out in the military in 1980 scooting the 1911a1, so.the recoil of the 40 Smith and Wesson is not a problem.  I find the 40 sw more accurate than the 9mm.  As far as recoil, 9mms +p+ feels the same to me.  I can.,t see any problem with a g 23.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 12:16:57 PM EDT
[#36]
My G23 has significantly more muzzle flip than my 1911s or my G20. My Sig239 40 is much more controllable. The G23 is just too light for the caliber in my opinion.

Anything can be shot accurately to include the 50ae. Controllability is the ability to shoot accurately fast and sustained until the mag runs dry.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 3:50:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
My G23 has significantly more muzzle flip than my 1911s or my G20. My Sig239 40 is much more controllable. The G23 is just too light for the caliber in my opinion.

Anything can be shot accurately to include the 50ae. Controllability is the ability to shoot accurately fast and sustained until the mag runs dry.
View Quote

It's not an issue for me.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 4:46:01 PM EDT
[#38]
ive got a 23 if you wanna trade lol

I'm looking into just running a LW conversion barrel
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 4:50:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool. How fast can you put 14 rounds into a Playing card at 10-yards? How much faster or slower can you do the same with a G19?

Anything under 7 seconds from the holster is acceptable. But if the 40 is 6.9 and the 9 is 6.1 I'll take the 9
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 10:44:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Cool. How fast can you put 14 rounds into a Playing card at 10-yards? How much faster or slower can you do the same with a G19?

Anything under 7 seconds from the holster is acceptable. But if the 40 is 6.9 and the 9 is 6.1 I'll take the 9
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude--I have no idea. Honestly. I hit the target I aim for when I shoot at it. If that means I suck, then it means I suck.

I probably cannot hit a playing card all 14 times at 10 yards from a holster. And it wouldn't matter if that were my 19 or my 23. I can absolutely hit center mass within that time with my 23, though.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 10:57:58 PM EDT
[#41]
19 to 23 here.  I own 3 G19's and will carry them from time to time, but typically carry the 23.  Recoil is noticeable when picking one up right after shooting the other.  Doesn't bother me though.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 11:15:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Dude--I have no idea. Honestly. I hit the target I aim for when I shoot at it. If that means I suck, then it means I suck.

I probably cannot hit a playing card all 14 times at 10 yards from a holster. And it wouldn't matter if that were my 19 or my 23. I can absolutely hit center mass within that time with my 23, though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What they are trying to tell you is that due to the laws of physics, the 19 has less recoil and therefore is easier to shoot faster than the 23. You might "not notice" but mathematically it's true.

Plenty of guys can shoot a 23 "well enough" to be happy. But those guys would all shoot a 19 better if they allowed themselves to. Unless you can bend the laws of physics, you will shoot a 9mm faster than a .40 given all else equal. And in the 19 vs 23 debate, all else is equal. Hence the lulz you're getting.

So, the bottom line is: what, exactly, are you trading that extra speed and mag capacity for?
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 11:16:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
19 to 23 here.  I own 3 G19's and will carry them from time to time, but typically carry the 23.  Recoil is noticeable when picking one up right after shooting the other.  Doesn't bother me though.
View Quote

The only time I notice it is when switching between them. Any other time and it's unnoticeable.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 11:38:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

What they are trying to tell you is that due to the laws of physics, the 19 has less recoil and therefore is easier to shoot faster than the 23. You might "not notice" but mathematically it's true.

Plenty of guys can shoot a 23 "well enough" to be happy. But those guys would all shoot a 19 better if they allowed themselves to. Unless you can bend the laws of physics, you will shoot a 9mm faster than a .40 given all else equal. And in the 19 vs 23 debate, all else is equal. Hence the lulz you're getting.

So, the bottom line is: what, exactly, are you trading that extra speed and mag capacity for?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You missed the part about him getting free ammo for the 23 and still having and shooting a 19.

Are the laws of physics not applicable on the receiving end of the bullet? The same guys who want to yell about physics when it comes to recoil and split times are unwilling to admit that a heavier bullet might make some difference on the other end because of physics.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 11:42:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Went from a 19 to a 23 for work then stayed with the 23 for use of 4 calibers of ammo with one pistol when I travel.  With the KKM barrel in .357 Sig it shoots groups half the size of the .40 S&W ammo at 50 yards.  With the stock attached as good as a carbine at 100.  

Shoots .22 lr, and 9mm Supressed, .357 Sig and .40 S&W just by changing parts.  Whats not to like (disregard the Sig 229 .40 barrel)

Link Posted: 7/20/2015 11:44:02 PM EDT
[#46]
S
Quoted:

You missed the part about him getting free ammo for the 23 and still having and shooting a 19.

Are the laws of physics not applicable on the receiving end of the bullet? The same guys who want to yell about physics when it comes to recoil and split times are unwilling to admit that a heavier bullet might make some difference on the other end because of physics.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<set sarcasm meter for max to avoid damage> it's ok. The 9mm guys have new super bullets that make them as capable as larger caliber handguns. I just wish they made them for other calibers. <end sarcasm>

Link Posted: 7/20/2015 11:48:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Are you serious?

A handgun weighs about a pound, so of course it jumps when you fire it.

A person? At 200 pounds? I think not.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 11:52:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got me there -- I was speaking more with the general "you" to everyone in the thread. Not clear -- sorry. Individual ammo logistics and requirements can make all these other discussions moot.

As for the at the receiving end -- it is a factor to consider for some, sure. But as we all (should) know (ammo oracle, anyone?) --- it's all about hole size, and the way that affects the likelyhood of hitting vital structures. A .40 ain't knocking anyone down. Most find that three extra rounds in the gun and the lower recoil (faster speed) more than outweigh the tiny probability-of-hit advantage that a .410 projo has over a .357.

Of course, all these differences are so small, compared to all the other things that matter so much in a defensive pistol encounter, that they are academic only. If rule 1 is bring a gun, whether it's a 19 or a 23 is like rule 10,000.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 12:13:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Are you serious?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you serious?

Bullet weight has no effect on terminal performance. Check.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 12:18:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Bullet weight has no effect on terminal performance. Check.
View Quote

Bullet weight and bullet diameter together give you a reasonable idea of how well the bullet will penetrate. Heavier bullets for caliber help.

Handguns are still handguns.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top