Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2015 11:17:52 AM EDT

Hi Folks,

Well, the unthinkable happened: after having finally dumped my $1,200 piece of garbage Springfield TRP 1911 and gotten a Gen 4 Glock 21 due to the need for reliability, I actually experienced a jam with my Glock this past weekend. I have had this pistol for about two months, in which time I have put over 1,000 rounds of 230-grain FMJ through it without incident. This most recent weekend, however, I tried it with hollow points for the first time though (my favorite defensive load: 230gr Speer Gold Dot), and in the second magazine (about shot number 14), I experienced a jam.

The stoppage was very reminiscent of the kind that were common on my 1911 (although that antiquated, overpriced hunk of steel would have the same problem on FMJ all the time), in which the round appeared to have a very pronounced upward angle (about 75-80 degrees up from horizontal), and while it first looked like the cartridge base had failed to slide under the extractor, the actual problem seemed to be that the point of the cartridge jammed on the roof of the chamber where it narrows.

The jam only happened once and very early, and was in a very new magazine which I have not really broken in yet. The other three magazines I have for the pistol fed the JHP rounds fine, and  after I confirmed that the other mags worked well, I ran the remainder of the 100 rounds through the troublesome new magazine, and experienced no other issues.

I want to find out from y'all Glock experts whether this is a normal part of the break-in process, whether it might have been just due to a new and stiff magazine, or whether my pistol needs work (other than shooting it a bunch more with hollow points to smooth things out).

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 11:32:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Maybe you could share some details like what specific brand and load of ammo, what magazines you were using, what lubrication had been done to the pistol, were there any modifications or parts replacement with the guns or mags prior?
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 11:47:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Good thinking on giving specs! The ammo is new Speer LE standard pressure 230gr Gold Dot JHP. The magazines were standard Glock-brand original equipment 13-rounders. In fact, both the gun and mags are all bone stock OE, with no modifications, whatsoever. As far as cleaning and lube, I clean with military Breakfree CLP, and lubricate with Militec-1. That said, the gun was quite dirty. Before that range trip it had had 200-500 rounds, and had been on a long distance wilderness survival hike exposed in a thumb-break holster to rain, mud, grit, and leaves since the last cleaning/lubrication. Now I took it apart after the hike to check for barrel obstructions, and it did not have any mud in it, but I did not clean it after that.

My AR-10 and M4 have held up to that kind of adverse condition treatment for years and have literally never jammed in thousands of rounds, so I kind of figured my Glock should be able to handle the same.

Hopefully this elaboration will help people diagnose what is going on for me. Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 11:51:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Posted edited, warning sent to user - AJE
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 12:09:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Your problem sounds like weak mag springs.  

Buy some Wolff extra power mag springs and load to 12+1.

Everyone will flame me for that, but I've seen the issue with a couple of 21s.

Link Posted: 7/13/2015 12:13:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
edited, AJE
View Quote
  I don't think you read my post very carefully there, partner. I sold the TRP because it was hideously unreliable (I think I made that pretty clear). It had gone back to Springfield twice without them even improving its 3-5% malfunction rate with standard 230gr FMJ. Their repair service was so bad neither time did they fix the egregious 15 to 20-degree extractor clocking. Even after a pricey gunsmith examined and worked it over, it still jammed about 1 time in 50 rounds with FMJ. I got a Glock because I could make a lot on the transaction, they were accurate enough for me, and reliability is the most important factor to me.

As far as limp-wristing, my Colt Delta Elite with full-power Underwood ammo and my S&W Model 29, both of which I shoot regularly, would have to disagree with your assessment of how this 6' 1" weightlifter can handle heavy-kicking pistols!
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 12:30:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds to me like an isolated mag problem.  Make sure and mark your mags so you can keep track of that mag and see if it happens again.  

But did I understand what you originally posted correctly?  You have carried it with that ammo for the last 2 months and this is the first time you have shot that ammo in that gun?  Or have you been carrying it with FMJ for the last 2 months?  
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 12:33:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
COC-AJE
View Quote

This isn't GD tough guy. If you don't have anything meaningful to post, please refrain from posting at all...especially trashing other memebers.

OP.  Sounds like you've shot enough to have already broken in the mag springs.  At first I thought maybe there was a lot of pressure on the round in the magazine causing it to drag against the mag lips and not properly pop under the extractor.  

This Is going to sound expensive but if it were me I'd run another couple hundred rounds of what you plan to carry in the magazines you intend to do so.  My G21 has never jammed but I'll admit I've only shot 50 rounds of the JHP that I carry, and thousands of rounds of FMJ.

If you continue to have issues, the first thing I would do is replace the mag springs.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 12:38:58 PM EDT
[#8]
even with a Glock, I put the high buff on the feed ramp, chamber edge radius, and roof of the chamber and hood... just a polish with rubberized Cratex bullet wheel in the direction of bullet nose travel,and then buff with the muslin wheel and some red rouge... run a ceramic stone over the bolt face and break the edge of the extractor...
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 12:41:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Sounds to me like an isolated mag problem.  Make sure and mark your mags so you can keep track of that mag and see if it happens again.  

But did I understand what you originally posted correctly?  You have carried it with that ammo for the last 2 months and this is the first time you have shot that ammo in that gun?  Or have you been carrying it with FMJ for the last 2 months?  
View Quote
Good catch; I forgot to specify, but yes, I have been carrying with FMJ until I could get to testing my choice JHPs.

Link Posted: 7/13/2015 12:45:30 PM EDT
[#10]
That's some interesting diagnosis about it being mag springs that are too weak. The only mag that had this issue was the newest one which I had not let sit for a few weeks with a full load like I did with my others. It did seem to smooth up, as I exclusively used it for the remainder of the two boxes, and in those last 75-80 rounds of Gold Dots it never malfunctioned again.

Regardless, I have an additional 100 Gold Dots and another 100 Remington UMC JHPs which I will run through the gun this weekend to see whether the problem is resolved.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 12:48:19 PM EDT
[#11]
After reading this I'm going to have to run some defensive rounds through my 21. I've only shot FMJs so far with no hint of a problem.
Paul
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 1:02:08 PM EDT
[#12]
A one percent or less malfunction rate - was not to long ago youngsters a reliable semi auto with hollow points was a near impossibility ( I call 30 years ago not to long ago)
Anyway  I would not take a single malfunction as a cardinal sign of anything. Now if you develop a pattern of malfunction that is when you investigate
Agree with the track mags and make sure it is not a bad mag.
Try some other hollow points- some guns have preferences
Never judge a gun by performance with a single type of ammo as the issues may be ammo not gun related.
Unless you have ten cases of a particular defense load already or get it free from an agency or are mandated to carry a particular round by regulation , do not get wedded to a particular load.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 1:07:45 PM EDT
[#13]
If you are in search of a perfect 100% reliability rate handgun , best stick to a base ball bat- any gun can have an inexplicable malfunction for so many multiple reasons which is why malfunction drills are taught. Do not go chasing your tail - shoot and track your issues and if you end up 500 round later with no malfunctions soldier on, realizing malfunctions can still occur and require immediate action
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 1:55:01 PM EDT
[#14]
OP described a bolt over base malfunction which is the result of a weak mag spring.

Not break-in, not because the gun polished, not because somebody else's 1911 didn't jam, etc.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 2:01:39 PM EDT
[#15]
These are some very helpful responses so far; thank y'all very much! I think it may just be a single freak malfunction. After all, it ran almost 100 of the same JHPs after that through the magazine in which the jam occurred with no other issues.

On the idea of giving it a polish in the chamber and feed ramp, what say ye about the wisdom of doing that. I am leery of doing that as I don't want to mess anything up, and I hear Glocks are as perfect as they are going to get right out of the box. However, I have polished feed ramps on some old surplus autos (Tokarev, Makarov, PA-63, Hi-Power) with good results. Provided I just use Flitz Polish and Qtips, and clean all the polish off afterwards, is there a reasonable chance I might hurt my gun doing that?
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 2:27:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Keep shooting maybe it was just a fluke..... Do not just start replacing shit 1 round to have a misfeed is hardly an unreliable gun. 1 round out of every mag is shit happens lots of factors could come into play as to what caused it....... thumb riding the slide lock, limp wrist, bad round was the OAL different, bad previous round maybe the slide did not go fully back, thumb dragging the slide slowing it down, Jupiter and Venus planetary alignment with Mars.  Shoot it more mark the mag that misfed and see if it occurs again.  1 data point is not enough to make a determination.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 12:33:48 AM EDT
[#17]
i think glocks QC is starting to slip, i have owned 4 different glocks over the years and currently have a gen 3 17 that has been flawless. On the other hand i have a gen 4 glock 26 that has had 4 failures to feed in 400 rounds im considering dropping my glocks and getting MP's
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 1:25:44 AM EDT
[#18]
While I have not shot any HP ammo, I have put over 4k rounds through my G21 Gen4, since January and have not had any issues.  I did install a Strom Lake barrel, as I shoot mostly cast/plated bullets.  I would shoot the HP ammo more and watch lot numbers.  It might be possible that thee was a round that was not up to standards.  Did you strip the one mag and ensure that the insides are good and clean?
I do have some 10 round mags for my G20sf that, do not like to feed the last round, but I only use them for practice now.  I carry my 13 round mags for daily carry and for when it really counts.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 2:31:21 AM EDT
[#19]
It's a small sample size but 2 of 3 21s I have used were unreliable.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 9:50:50 AM EDT
[#20]
In what way?  I have seen several G21's at the range, that I am an RSO at,  and have not seen any issues with them.  Most of the shooters that I work with really like the G21/G41 45 ACP's.
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/14/2015 1:44:32 PM EDT
[#21]
One single malfunction? I wouldn't even bat an eye.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 1:50:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
In what way?  I have seen several G21's at the range, that I am an RSO at,  and have not seen any issues with them.  Most of the shooters that I work with really like the G21/G41 45 ACP's.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doubles and stovepipes.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 1:59:46 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Doubles and stovepipes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Doubles and stovepipes.

What ammo?

I recently got an LE trade-in G21 gen4. First time I took it to the range I experienced some malfunctions, but I'd be willing to bet a month's paycheck that it's my reloads.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 4:38:56 PM EDT
[#24]
New magazine. Gotta wonder if it had maybe a piece of casting flash . Just a wild guess here.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 4:52:56 PM EDT
[#25]
In my previous life I was deputy sheriff. we carried the G21SF. I never saw one jam on the range, I know mine never did in thousands of rounds. We spent a fair amount of time using duty ammo as well. I now sell guns for a living and I sell a lot of G21 Gen4 pistols. I hear more bad feedback from shooters about the Gen4 pistols than I do about any previous generation Glocks regarding reliability, mostly during the so called break in period. I am also a Glock armorer, I know there are subtle differences between the Gen3 and Gen4 guns but I don't understand how they could translate into a decrease in reliability. Previous posters have mentioned the magazine as the culprit, I would tend to agree, especially as the malfunction occurred at the last round or close to it. I would continue to break that mag in and track any issues as you go. I still think Glock is a solid, reliable pistol. I still carry a G21SF and it is the one pistol out of many that I own that I would choose over all others if I was limited to one handgun.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 8:26:20 PM EDT
[#26]
1/4 Glock mags I have for my 20sf is problematic. I replaced it and had no further issues.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 7:18:43 PM EDT
[#27]
I was getting ready to write a review/synopsis on my Glock 21 Gen 4 raving about it when I saw your post.  I carry mine on duty and in 10,000+ rounds I've experienced 3 malfunctions and all were ammo related (3 Remington 230g Gold Saber rds from same lot that was very old, all would not fire after multiple primer strikes). It's been boringly reliable.  I've shot 185g-230g FMJs, +P defense loads, 160g frangible ammo (1,250rds of that stuff), Federal HSTs, Speer Gold Dot 230g (current issued duty rd, same you had a malfunction with), Remington Gold Saber, Hornady 230g +P JHP, etc.  I would call yours a fluke, possibly a bad mag. If it's a consistent problem with various JHPs and mags then I would just contact Glock.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 10:23:09 PM EDT
[#28]
I'd say it's a fluke but use that mag some more and see if that's the problem.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 11:58:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:48:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks for the input, y'all!

I have just put my fears to rest about reliability.

My wife lets me go to the range once every 2 weeks, and so last Friday I put 200 rounds of Gold Dot through the pistol.

I hadn't cleaned or oiled the Glock since shooting it before, and even with very rapid firing, it was 100%. Additionally, something I forgot to mention was that when the malfunction occurred, I was testing accuracy from a bench with a very hard rest on which I braced the frame very firmly. I gather that can induce malfunctions in almost any semi auto.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top