Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2015 12:30:38 PM EDT
I always here people talk about how crappy and unreliable stock plastic ball and bucket sight are. Does anyone choose to leave them on? Sometimes I like to keep things simple.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:33:49 PM EDT
[#1]
There's people who change them immediately (me) and people who have factory sights that have been on guns for 20 friggin years... It preference mostly, but the front plastic sight has been knowing to come off during holstering and unholstering, etc. Might last you forver, who knows..

It's a crap shoot. lol
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:51:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Besides them being plastic, I shoot very good with them
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:13:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes it is necessary. I like things simple too. The sight picture is confusing in general. I would rather all black than the box and dot. The sights being plastic is pretty much the biggest downfall. One handed drills calling for hooking the rear sight onto your belt have a good chance of ripping the rear sight off. Not just a hypothetical. It does happen. The front sight is better with the screw in method but when they were staked in they were known to fly off while firing.

Plain black steel sights are cheap and easy to install. So cost shouldn't be an issue.

If you just shoot for fun, it doesn't matter what you put on there. If the weapon is going to be used for defense and you are going to train with it more durable sights are worth the effort.

My opinion.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:33:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I think it depends on your usage and whether or not you like the sight picture.

Metal is going to be more durable, but then I've seen a pic on this site of a duty weapon with the plastic sights worn down to nubs.

I changed mine, I got a sight picture I much prefer, and sights that are more durable, needed or not, for a reasonable cost. I shot it a year + with the factory plastic, problem now is I want all my handgun sight pictures to be as close as possible to my Warrens, and changing all of them adds up.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:45:01 PM EDT
[#5]
The plastic sights are always first to go on mine.  They go into the trash with the serrated triggers Glock puts on the sub and compact models.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:48:01 PM EDT
[#6]
They make some steel factory sights. I almost bought some because I really liked the factory sight picture at first. I succumbed to peer pressure though and put some Trijicon NS on mine. I'm really glad I did go with some quality sights in the end...
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:11:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Throw them right in the trash as soon as I get home. Plastic sights on a "fighting pistol" are a really poor idea.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:21:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Alright you guys are right. I'll have to get them swapped out.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:25:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm pretty sure Glock keeps putting plastic sights on them because it helps keep cost down. And hell, in today's world most people swap out sights even on guns that come with steel sights to whatever their preferences is, so they're better off sending them out with plastic sights and keep the cost down IMO.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 5:51:42 PM EDT
[#10]
It's one of the few brands of pistols where 90% of the buyers change them out ASAP. Next time a cost comparison is made, sights for the Glock should be part of the equation. I swap my plastic Glock sights with the factory metal versions since I shoot really well with the squared "U" rear and dot front.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:07:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure Glock keeps putting plastic sights on them because it helps keep cost down. And hell, in today's world most people swap out sights even on guns that come with steel sights to whatever their preferences is, so they're better off sending them out with plastic sights and keep the cost down IMO.
View Quote

With the materials used on Glocks, they're already saving a ton of money. Stamped metal internals and plastic anywhere they can get away with it, yet they still cost more than other guns using metal sights and mim/machined internals.

Now so people don't go crazy, I'm not bashing Glocks. I like Glocks and own a few, but I'm also a machinist that looks at things right down to the materials used. Looking at the materials used in a Glock has me scratching my head when someone says $500 +/- is cheap for what you get.

Again since I know how this forum can be, I'm not bashing Glock.  I think they're great guns and would trust my life with one, but Gaston has been riding carbon copy models in different sizes and calibers for some time with only a little tweak here and there. Bottom line is Glock continues to put on plastic sights because they know people will buy them regardless.

Did I mention I'm not bashing Glock? Okay.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:29:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

With the materials used on Glocks, they're already saving a ton of money. Stamped metal internals and plastic anywhere they can get away with it, yet they still cost more than other guns using metal sights and mim/machined internals.

Now so people don't go crazy, I'm not bashing Glocks. I like Glocks and own a few, but I'm also a machinist that looks at things right down to the materials used. Looking at the materials used in a Glock has me scratching my head when someone says $500 +/- is cheap for what you get.

Again since I know how this forum can be, I'm not bashing Glock.  I think they're great guns and would trust my life with one, but Gaston has been riding carbon copy models in different sizes and calibers for some time with only a little tweak here and there. Bottom line is Glock continues to put on plastic sights because they know people will buy them regardless.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From a machinists standpoint, what gun offers the same reliability / overall function as a glock that is of superior materials and processes and is of a comparable price. Not to start an argument, I am actually curious. I'm sure companies like sig use different processes on their higher end offerings but those come in around 800 dollars so it's apples to oranges.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:31:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I can use 'em just fine.  I have Glock night sights on most of mine.  

I would go to a gunfight with Glock plastic sights.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:46:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's your funeral, bro.

What sights should I get for my 19? Looking for something with a U notch rear.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:25:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hm, I was always told Glock doesn't make hardly anything on their guns. Like less than $100 a gun is what I was told by a distributor rep that was at my local FFL'S shop one day.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:29:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Those aren't sights, those are rear dovetail and front sight hole protectors.  

Yes, necessary.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:10:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Besides them being plastic, I shoot very good with them
View Quote

This.
I have changed the sights on some of my Glocks, but some I leave them on and as Sublimeon said, I also shoot very good with them.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:13:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It's your funeral, bro.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's your funeral, bro.

i went with the Trijicon Tritium night sights GRN/GRN for my G19 Gen 4.

Check out this site for Glock parts, they seem to have very nice prices.

http://www.rockyourglock.com
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:35:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Glock stock sights out of the box aren't great but work fine and with decent fundamentals you should have no probl hitting your target. However, considering long term use the plastic sights will not hold up as well as steel sights. Also adding that you get get some really nice fiber optic or night sights made from steel for under $100 it's a no brainier.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:38:58 PM EDT
[#20]
The first thing that gets changed on my Glocks are the sights; I run XS Big Dot on my G19 CCW. Just "Dot the I".

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:39:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Glock factory night sights are $57 and they are steel and have tritium and glow well. Great bargain.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:44:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It's your funeral, bro.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's your funeral, bro.

I can point shoot just fine if the stockers fall off.  

U-notch rear?  10-8 or Wilson Combat.  Both super nice sights...
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:53:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's your funeral, bro.

Been looking at the Wilson Vickers battlesights, black rear with a tritium front looks nice. About $95 total.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:56:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

From a machinists standpoint, what gun offers the same reliability / overall function as a glock that is of superior materials and processes and is of a comparable price. Not to start an argument, I am actually curious. I'm sure companies like sig use different processes on their higher end offerings but those come in around 800 dollars so it's apples to oranges.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The models are out there for all to see. If you want a Sig offering, look towards the SP2022. It's cheaper, it comes with night sights and is very reliable. Point me to a NIB G19 that comes with night sights from the factory in the same price range which is around $399.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:02:30 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

It's one of the few brands of pistols where 90% of the buyers change them out ASAP. Next time a cost comparison is made, sights for the Glock should be part of the equation. I swap my plastic Glock sights with the factory metal versions since I shoot really well with the squared "U" rear and dot front.
View Quote

Personally, I do not care for the factory installed sights and usually install night sights as soon as possible.  Given the design/market (LE/mil) for the Glock pistols, I would guess they put average sights on them as they are going to be replaced almost immediately.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:34:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Ever since Glock started using screws to secure the plastic front sight instead of staking I have not seen one come off.

On the flip side I'll bet the majority of Glocks sold are sold with factory night sights to law enforcement. They aren't high speed, low drag but they work just fine.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:40:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The models are out there for all to see. If you want a Sig offering, look towards the SP2022. It's cheaper, it comes with night sights and is very reliable. Point me to a NIB G19 that comes with night sights from the factory in the same price range which is around $399.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So by what processes is the 2022 conceived?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:21:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Some people purchase a firearm and never train with it. It goes to the range a few times a year and is used to shoot at paper and then placed back into a holster. Then there are some people that train with their firearm as if their life depended on it. Their weapon has scratches, blemishes, and various imperfections that come with this type of training. So what did I just say ? The plastic sight doesn't hold up well to one hand manipulation drills when using the rear sight to charge the weapon.  I don't know which group you fall into ? That is a decision for you to make my friend.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:15:41 AM EDT
[#29]
I went with the stock sights for years on my Glocks, then I came into the Tru Dot sights, orange rear and green front. Now all three of my G21's sport the same Tru Dot's and same 3.5lb trigger bars. You can't tell one from the other without looking at the serial numbers.
You don't have to change the sights out if you don't want to, but night sights definitely give you an advantage in low-light situations.
Oh and all my pistol sights are fixed, not adjustable target sights, once they're set, no need to monkey around with them.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:19:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Polymer, stainless steel, MIM/Cast parts and far less stamped metal than a Glock. If you want another example look at the SD9VE which can easily be found for $300. It includes a steel front sight and plastic rear although it has more stamped internals like a Glock. There are other models out there as well that are less expensive.

Again I'm not bashing Glock since I own a few and like them quite a bit. After doing complete tear downs of many polymer pistols and looking at what they're made of, Glock must have a pretty good profit margin from any model they sell. Doing a quick Google search just now shows "A BusinessWeek story says Glock estimated its "profit margin per pistol" at 68 percent." That's quite a bit.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:48:43 AM EDT
[#31]
To me, the front sight is much too fat. Makes shooting at distance (25+ yrd) difficult. I prefer Heinies.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:50:59 AM EDT
[#32]
If I change one thing on a glock it is to steel sights.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:14:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Necessary? Of course not. Desirable, well yes, for me. I find the most effective sights for me have a rear notch with more room on either side of the front sight for rapid sight acquisition. The factory sights don't give me this.

Ameriglo has numerous possible combinations with a .140 wide tritium front and .180 rear notch. The ratio is the widest of any I have found with a tritium front sight like the Hackathorns I prefer. The tritium front surrounded by the big orange ring is easy on my 58 year old eyes and the wide rear notch makes it quick to pick up.

I want to try the Spartan Tactical set with the tritium rear but couldn't find them in stock for my G 43.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:46:11 PM EDT
[#34]
They are placeholders for something better

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:59:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Do you need to replace them?  No, only if you really want to.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:34:11 AM EDT
[#36]
It may not be absolutely necessary, but it's the first thing I change.  I hate everything about the stock sights - the dimensions, the white outline and dot, the material. Just garbage IMO.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:52:41 AM EDT
[#37]
i like having night sights on
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 12:20:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Simply yes
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 12:38:34 PM EDT
[#39]
I really like them.  I love the white outline rear sight.  It's my preferred rear sight.  I've won a couple of Glock competitions with the stock sights.  You may want the metal ones if you will be beating them some.  I have night sights for my carry and defensive type Glocks.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 1:56:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Sights are about all I care to change on a glock
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 6:54:35 PM EDT
[#41]
One of the few things you can customize externally
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top