Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2015 11:42:29 PM EDT
Title says it all. I see people getting their Glock slides milled all the way through. Whats the point? Is it all looks or is it for cooling?

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:48:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't thinks it's for cooling at all. If anything maybe weight reduction.

I'll let somebody else answer who knows. It def looks cool tho
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:28:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Weight reduction the slide tracks faster.  I'm not a fan of the windows cause I don't want dirt getting in my gun IMO they are for competition shooters.  I'm getting a slide milled tomorrow for front cocking serrations.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 1:29:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Bling factor and that is the only reason most do it!
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 4:09:01 AM EDT
[#4]
The flat billed hat bro crowd has to show of that blinged out TiN coated barrel.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:13:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Glock slides are already notorious for moving too fast.  If you're going to lighten the slide then pay careful attention to the recoil spring.  (The newer or the heavier, the better.)  Yes, I think there IS a definite, 'bling factor'.  The only useful things I've ever seen done to a Glock slide are (1) the addition of cut-in forward slide serrations; and (2) an MOS rear cutout.  Long slides can benefit from weight-reduction and/or, 'balance cutouts'; BUT an extended muzzle with muzzle-ports works a lot better than Glock's fakakta ported slide and barrel combinations.  

(I would know!)
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:27:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I like how almost everyone here posted bs and nothing factual.

Lsss slide mass = less recoil. Simple physics. That's usually the number 1 reason for lightening a slide. People who don't know any better can claim it just "looks cool" but if you ever shoot a factory gun along side the same model that had slide lightening work, you can feel a difference in recoil. I did with my "too cool for school" Glock 34. Maybe it was the flat billed hat I was wearing though...

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:20:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Because Glocks have all the personality of a dead fish people feel the need to "find a way" to customize them.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:02:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like how almost everyone her (sic) posted bs and nothing factual.
View Quote

I agree with you.  

However, if you tinker around enough, you can make a lot of things work.  The real questions are, 'How well?' and, 'For how long?'  For years, now, there have been long long discussions about slide cutouts and their effect(s) on numerous Glock forums.  Your comments are at variance with the conclusions reached by many other Glock owners, and builders.  

Can a severely lightened Glock slide be made to work?  Yes it can; but, then again, so can a Glock that's rigged with a heavy compensator on its barrel.  I've watched armorers (and real pistolsmiths) work on both; and I've got firsthand experience with a number of the problems that have to be overcome.  For the record:  'Less slide mass does NOT necessarily mean less recoil.'  The whole pistol, and especially the springs, needs to be properly set up and adjusted.  

By the way, how easily does the illustrated pistol limp wrist?  (I'll bet it's a, 'piece of cake'!)  A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing; and, just out of curiosity, what's that, 'Rooney Glock' good for anyway?  
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:59:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I did with my "too cool for school" Glock 34. Maybe it was the flat billed hat I was wearing though...

http://i.imgur.com/A3D2Qwo.jpg
View Quote

Do you drive a bro-dozer?
Can't say I've seen a TiN coated factory barrel before.

But yes, lightening the slide (short of compromising the structure) and using the appropriate spring rates should allow for a light target load to cycle the slide faster and with less perceived recoil.
BUT, if you whittle it down and tune it for puff loads, then load up and shoot a bunch of heavy +P, you're going to accelerate the wear on the gun.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:36:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Although it does look sort of cool. I wouldn't do it, opening up your slide with extra openings means there's more holes that can get filled with unwanted dirt, debris, lint etc... Just potentially increasing your chances of having your firearm fail under duress when you might need it most.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:41:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Although it does look sort of cool. I wouldn't do it, opening up your slide with extra openings means there's more holes that can get filled with unwanted dirt, debris, lint etc... Just potentially increasing your chances of having your firearm fail under duress when you might need it most.
View Quote

I'd venture to say probably 95% of people doing this kind of work to their guns are not using them as defense guns.... Which makes that argument pretty invalid. And if the issue of debris causing malfunctions was really happening as much as people try to say/think it is - the top shooters in the world wouldn't still be doing it to their guns.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:07:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Same reason people put spoilers on their civics. I'm sure there's some truth and justification to it but, negligible and more for looks.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:29:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Same reason people put spoilers on their civics. I'm sure there's some truth and justification to it but, negligible and more for looks.
View Quote

The justification for ricer wings is usually "I'm an idiot that can't drive but I saw all 7 F&F movies"
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:15:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bingo!
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:20:14 AM EDT
[#15]
I see guys shooting guns like this that still have a nasty flinch - makes me lol.

Software > hardware
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:24:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I see guys shooting guns like this that still have a nasty flinch - makes me lol.

Software > hardware
View Quote

But it's easier to throw money at hardware than admit to, or much less fix the root problem.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:02:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
the top shooters in the world wouldn't still be doing it to their guns.
View Quote

Please provide names.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:55:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Please provide names.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please provide names.

You know how to use Google, don't you? I have nothing to prove to you or anyone who thinks it's all for "bling." I'm sure all the pro shooters just do it casue it looks cool and has no real function too.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:04:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You know how to use Google, don't you? I have nothing to prove to you or anyone who thinks it's all for "bling." I'm sure all the pro shooters just do it casue it looks cool and has no real function too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please provide names.

Can you honestly say that most of the non-pro shooters that do it are doing it for any other reason than looks?

Yes, we all know the advantages when done right, but most "casual" shooters would never be able to register the difference if you timed them.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:08:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Can you honestly say that most of the non-pro shooters that do it are doing it for any other reason than looks?

Yes, we all know the advantages when done right, but most "casual" shooters would never be able to register the difference if you timed them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please provide names.

What's your point? Most casual shooters won't notice a difference in a lot of upgrades done to their guns. Doesn't stop people from customizing and modifying their guns. I never understood people like you and a couple others around the Glock section who insist on talking negatively about things you disagree with as if your opinion of it makes it fact.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:12:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

What's your point? Most casual shooters won't notice a difference in a lot of upgrades done to their guns. Doesn't stop people from customizing and modifying their guns. I never understood people like you and a couple others around the Glock section who insist on talking negatively about things you disagree with as if your opinion of it makes it fact.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please provide names.

You seem to be reading an awful lot of words that aren't there...
It's not my gun and it's not my money, they are free to do as they please, more power to them.
Just as I am free to snicker when they espouse the advantages and brag about how much faster it makes them, and then they run in the bottom of the pack at a match because they're clumsy, slow and un-practiced.  Just like a big wing on a stock Honda Civic, that money would be better spent elsewhere as far as return on investment.  Unless you consider the ooh's and ahh's of the uninformed masses to be sufficient return on investment.
Save that money, buy more ammo, take a couple classes.  Then, if/when you become proficient, build a race gun.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:15:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Raining brass is just trying to buy skill and justify the $ he spent.

He is successful at neither it would seem.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:15:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It's not my gun and it's not my money, they are free to do as they please.
Just as I am free to snicker when they espouse the advantages and brag about how much faster it makes them, and then they run in the bottom of the pack at a match because they're clumsy, slow and un-practiced.  Just like a big wing on a stock Honda Civic.
View Quote

You've got a strange obsession with Hondas and spoilers, but cool story man.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:17:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not my gun and it's not my money, they are free to do as they please.
Just as I am free to snicker when they espouse the advantages and brag about how much faster it makes them, and then they run in the bottom of the pack at a match because they're clumsy, slow and un-practiced.  Just like a big wing on a stock Honda Civic.

read the rest of my post...  and I'm not the one that brought it up originally.

How many matches do you shoot with your pretty skeleton gun?
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:17:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't need to justify the money. Cost isn't something I'm concerned about any time I buy a gun or mod one. Please move along with your invalid stupidity. Thanks

Guess we should put a sigh up on top the Glock section that modifying your gun is stupid and you're definitely a crappy shooter if you have gun mods. Just because you can't afford it, doesn't mean the next guy is trying to justify it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:19:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Don't need to justify the money. Cost isn't something I'm concerned about any time I buy a gun or mod one. Please move along with your invalid stupidity. Thanks

Guess we should put a sigh up on top the Glock section that modifying your gun is stupid and you're definitely a crappy shooter if you have gun mods. Just because you can't afford it, doesn't mean the next guy is trying to justify it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it just means that priorities are misplaced if an un-trained, inefficient shooter blows money on slide work before taking a class.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:22:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

No, it just means that priorities are misplaced if an un-trained, inefficient shooter blows money on slide work before taking a class.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the big problem with people like you. You assume someone has this fancy gun with no training. You assume I haven't attended a pistol course. You assume I don't get to the range and run drills 3-4 times a month. You assume I must be trying to compensate for bad skills with better equipment. You make an ass out of yourself is all you do.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:30:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That's the big problem with people like you. You assume someone has this fancy gun with no training. You assume I haven't attended a pistol course. You assume I don't get to the range and run drills 3-4 times a month. You assume I must be trying to compensate for bad skills with better equipment. You make an ass out of yourself is all you do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is no assumption in my statement, you're reading too much into it again.
An untrained, inefficient shooter is an untrained, inefficient shooter, I didn't point fingers or name names.  The fact that you are taking personal offense to a general statement is what makes us wonder if it's hitting too close to home.
Point to any statement I've made in this thread saying anything about you.
I asked how many matches you shoot.

Read my first post in this thread even, and you'll see that we agree on the advantages of slide lightening.

My whole point is that it is often the cart before the horse and you went and got pissy about it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 5:59:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please provide names.

Other than Costa, I don't really see anyone else doing it.  The simple fact of the matter is that slide cuts increase follow-up speed but also decrease reliability.  Pick your poison.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:07:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Other than Costa, I don't really see anyone else doing it.  The simple fact of the matter is that slide cuts increase follow-up speed but also decrease reliability.  Pick your poison.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please provide names.

Oh Bullshit. One of the main reasons you dont see as many slide cuts on glocks and other polymer guns specifically is because they are most popular in production type divisions where that modification would be illegal.

Almost every single Limited and Open gun made today has some sort of slide lightening done. You want names? Todd Jarrett, Jerry Miculek, Rob Leatham, etc etc etc. All have shot guns with lightened slides at one point or another. Glocks are not magically different than other guns. You reduce the reciprocating mass you reduce muzzle flip/recoil/bounce whatever the hell you want to call it. Will it need tuning afterwards? Most likely but that is part of tuning a gun for competition.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:13:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

You'll get other answers and justifications but it's bling.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:21:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Oh Bullshit. One of the main reasons you dont see as many slide cuts on glocks and other polymer guns specifically is because they are most popular in production type divisions where that modification would be illegal.

Almost every single Limited and Open gun made today has some sort of slide lightening done. You want names? Todd Jarrett, Jerry Miculek, Rob Leatham, etc etc etc. All have shot guns with lightened slides at one point or another. Glocks are not magically different than other guns. You reduce the reciprocating mass you reduce muzzle flip/recoil/bounce whatever the hell you want to call it. Will it need tuning afterwards? Most likely but that is part of tuning a gun for competition.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please provide names.

But, but... I can't afford to do it to my gun so bling!
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:34:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

This.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

For a lot of people it certainly is. Just like fluted barrels on rifles.

However milling the slide does have performance advantages that can be taken advantage of and saying otherwise just makes the speaker sound ignorant. Just because some people don't care about those advantages doesn't change the fact that they are there.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:51:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

However milling the slide does have performance advantages that can be taken advantage of and saying otherwise just makes the speaker sound ignorant. Just because some people don't care about those advantages doesn't change the fact that they are there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

For a very few there are advantages, yes.  Should have added that in.   The majority of people have it done because it's bling.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:10:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

I thought we were talking about defensive handguns, not competition, but I could be wrong.  And no one is arguing physics.  I clearly stated that lightening cuts DO reduce muzzle flip and allow for quicker follow up shots.  I also stated that lightening cuts and the changes in recoil springs also reduce reliability of the handgun, which by all accounts they do.  I could totally see myself having this type of milling done to a gun IF I only used it for competition.  The last thing you'll see me to do is stick a Salient Glock in my pants for defensive use.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:49:27 AM EDT
[#36]
For those saying less recoil, doesn't it balance out due to its lighter weight. Lighter weight guns have more felt recoil than heavier guns. If you have a G17 and mill it out to the same weight as a G19, what do you gain (recoil wise) over a G19?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:16:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
For those saying less recoil, doesn't it balance out due to its lighter weight. Lighter weight guns have more felt recoil than heavier guns. If you have a G17 and mill it out to the same weight as a G19, what do you gain (recoil wise) over a G19?
View Quote

Less "perceived" recoil, as in less muzzle flip, faster back on target.  It's all a balancing act of ammo, slide mass and springs.  If you could find the balance to get the gun to cycle with the slide stopping just short of striking the frame on it's rearward travel, that would be optimal, but would also be terribly unreliable, as the slightest change could cause a malfunction.  So by reducing the slide inertia, you are reducing the impulse imparted to the frame at the end of slide travel.

Here's some anecdotal high-speed video.  The frame strike impulse is most obvious on guns like the Tanfoglio and Caracal.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:16:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I thought we were talking about defensive handguns, not competition, but I could be wrong.  And no one is arguing physics.  I clearly stated that lightening cuts DO reduce muzzle flip and allow for quicker follow up shots.  I also stated that lightening cuts and the changes in recoil springs also reduce reliability of the handgun, which by all accounts they do.  I could totally see myself having this type of milling done to a gun IF I only used it for competition.  The last thing you'll see me to do is stick a Salient Glock in my pants for defensive use.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where I differ is that having slide cuts do not make a gun less reliable(ie Glock 34). There have been quite a few guns over the years that had lightening done to them. Some externally some internally.

I was under the impression the salient glocks were pretty reliable. Most of the problems I see in competiton are ammo or mags across the board. If a gun is built correctly it should be reliable whether it has slide cuts or not.

Yes if you take a gun and remove a bunch of weight without changing anything else it can be less reliable. Minor slide cuts however usually don't really mess with much. Test your gun with whatever ammo you plan to use and it will either work or choke. If it works I would have no problems trusting it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:26:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Less "perceived" recoil, as in less muzzle flip, faster back on target.  It's all a balancing act of ammo, slide mass and springs.  If you could find the balance to get the gun to cycle with the slide stopping just short of striking the frame on it's rearward travel, that would be optimal, but would also be terribly unreliable, as the slightest change could cause a malfunction.  So by reducing the slide inertia, you are reducing the impulse imparted to the frame at the end of slide travel.

Here's some anecdotal high-speed video.  The frame strike impulse is most obvious on guns like the Tanfoglio and Caracal.

http://youtu.be/WOirbcsCQ1o
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, reciprocating mass is what we are trying to reduce. Many competiton gun add non reciprocating mass to further lessen recoil. Heavy guide rods, barrels, and frames all get that done. There is a local smith that even sleeves the barrels in tungsten so you gain weight out front for more leverage. Pretty cool guns.

Here is one of his gun with the front of the slide removed and he has weight added to the barrel as well as the front sight which makes it easier to track(why STI calls theres the sight tracker)

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:13:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yup, reciprocating mass is what we are trying to reduce. Many competiton gun add non reciprocating mass to further lessen recoil. Heavy guide rods, barrels, and frames all get that done. There is a local smith that even sleeves the barrels in tungsten so you gain weight out front for more leverage. Pretty cool guns.

Here is one of his gun with the front of the slide removed and he has weight added to the barrel as well as the front sight which makes it easier to track(why STI calls theres the sight tracker)<a href="http://s196.photobucket.com/user/alaskanfire/media/Firepower/AE3EF0DC-98C9-415B-881A-0002E633B07A_zps1nlmblcv.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa301/alaskanfire/Firepower/AE3EF0DC-98C9-415B-881A-0002E633B07A_zps1nlmblcv.jpg</a>

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here is one of his gun with the front of the slide removed and he has weight added to the barrel as well as the front sight which makes it easier to track(why STI calls theres the sight tracker)<a href="http://s196.photobucket.com/user/alaskanfire/media/Firepower/AE3EF0DC-98C9-415B-881A-0002E633B07A_zps1nlmblcv.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa301/alaskanfire/Firepower/AE3EF0DC-98C9-415B-881A-0002E633B07A_zps1nlmblcv.jpg</a>

Back in the day, we called 1911's like that "Pin Guns" as in bowling pin guns.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:03:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a 40 so it would be just fine for pins. We still have pin shoots here, both rifle and pistol.

That gun is a perfect example of bling and functionality. Many of the cuts are obviously aesthetic but the huge chunk taken out of the slide and added to the barrel is pure function.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 12:33:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nailed it
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 12:41:21 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Nailed it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nailed it

I am guessing all of you saying it's negligible haven't ever shot one. It is not always negligible.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 12:48:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please provide names.

I'm not sure, but I bet Costa gets paid to shoot those pistols
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 5:01:12 PM EDT
[#45]
personal attacks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top