Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2015 3:42:13 PM EDT
Hey guys.
Brand new to Glock. Never owned one.
I've been debating for a while whether to get the 17 or 19. Most likely going with the 17 to keep it classic!
And I want an all FDE one.

Anyway,
I know the only real internal difference between the gen 3 and 4 is the different recoil spring (I believe).
What advantages does this have? And what other differences are there between the two?
Should a gen 3 cost less than a gen 4? Do either have any inherent issues?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 4:08:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I prefer the Gen 4. Better grip texture, bigger mag release, and the backstraps allow for some adjustment in the grip size.

Gen 4 is about $40 or $50 more than a Gen 3, but you get 3 mags instead of 2 so that offsets some of the extra $$$. For me, the improvements on the Gen 4 are well worth the money.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 4:11:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I prefer the Gen 4. Better grip texture, bigger mag release, and the backstraps allow for some adjustment in the grip size.

Gen 4 is about $40 or $50 more than a Gen 3, but you get 3 mags instead of 2 so that offsets some of the extra $$$. For me, the improvements on the Gen 4 are well worth the money.
View Quote

Yup.... Texture is better, mag release is bigger, I use Medium backstrap myself since I have big hands.  The recoil spring does make a little bit of difference but not a huge amount.

I have a Gen4 19 and 23 and will eventually add a 34 and 17.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 4:15:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I have big hands so the adjustable backstraps make the difference for me.

I like gen 3s but the grip is just too small
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 4:35:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I am a gen3 guy myself.  Best gen IMHO
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 4:35:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I have small hands, so the backstrap things don't really make a difference for me.

But would the other differences alone make a gen 4 better?

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 4:37:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I am a gen3 guy myself.  Best gen IMHO
View Quote

Ever shot and been behind a Gen4 vs Gen3.  Used to be the same way but down here in South Texas my Gen3's start getting very slippy after a few minutes in the sun.  Texture was more than enough to sell me on the Gen4 over the Gen3.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 4:53:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have small hands, so the backstrap things don't really make a difference for me.

View Quote

Small hands too, though I don't find the 3rd Gen small frame guns unwieldy. It was the rougher texture of the 4th Gens that did it for me.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 5:44:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I was fine with Gen 3 for many years, but the Gen 4 texture and larger mag release are a big improvement. I have no use for Gen 3 anymore.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 5:56:40 PM EDT
[#9]
gen 3's are great

the gen 4 just adds to it, the grip surface is miles ahead of the gen 3.
I also have small hands and the gen 4 with no backstrap fits me perfect, ill never buy another gen 3 unless its to good of a deal to pass up
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:44:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I was fine with Gen 3 for many years, but the Gen 4 texture and larger mag release are a big improvement. I have no use for Gen 3 anymore.
View Quote

This is me.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:04:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This is me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is me.

Pretty much this, though the RTF2 Gen3's are really nice if you can find one. Hoping to pop the cherry of the Vickers G19RTF2 this week!
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:50:13 PM EDT
[#12]
This and the extra mag, better recoil spring.
Quoted:
I have big hands so the adjustable backstraps make the difference for me.

I like gen 3s but the grip is just too small
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 1:54:02 AM EDT
[#13]
If you have small hands, the gen4 will fit you better--it's smaller than the gen3, and the mag-release goes back a bit further.
I had grip reductions done on all my gen3s, but so far am getting by on my gen4s (though the stippling and finger groove removal takes off a little).
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 8:53:42 AM EDT
[#14]
The Gen4 "upgrades" are wasted on me since I modify all of my grips myself.  That just leaves the unnecessary dual recoil spring that's not interchangeable across generations or calibers.  My friends and I all use Gen3 19s and have no intention of switching.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:49:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The Gen4 "upgrades" are wasted on me since I modify all of my grips myself.  That just leaves the unnecessary dual recoil spring that's not interchangeable across generations or calibers.  My friends and I all use Gen3 19s and have no intention of switching.
View Quote

This. I modify mine as well. Gen 3 across the board for me.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:50:18 AM EDT
[#16]
No personal experience, but I have a friend who's owned, roughly, 6 Glocks.  He keeps coming back to them.

Anyways, his latest 2 Glocks have been Gen 4s (17 and 19), and he loves them.  He likes the grip better, but he feels that they shoot better as well.  I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but he really wants me to.  I trust his judgment, as he is the one that got me in to shooting again, and he has owned a wide variety of guns.

I won't sell my Gen 2 or Gen 3 G19s, but I might go with a Gen 4 17, depending on how I like it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 11:20:09 AM EDT
[#17]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_13/159801_Do_i_really_need_a_Gen_4____.html

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_13/159769_G19_but_Gen_3_or_Gen_4_.html

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_13/159147_Gen_3_vs_Gen_4_G19.html

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 11:46:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Large beavertail and grip texture alone makes it worth it for me.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 1:15:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Extra Mag - also works with gen 3 mags as long as you keep the mag release button on the left side
reversible mag release
Backstraps with beavertail
Better grip texture (my opinion)
Dual recoil spring - longer pistol life and probably softer recoil, I've only shot a Gen4 in the model I own so nothing to compare it to.

I love my Gen4 23, shoots great!
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 4:57:22 PM EDT
[#20]
The day that the Gen 4 replaces the Gen 3 will result in butthurt of epic proportions.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 5:11:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

This all day.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 11:36:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Hey guys.  
Brand new to Glock. Never owned one.  I've been debating for a while whether to get the 17 or 19. Most likely going with the 17 to keep it classic; and I want an all FDE one.  

Anyway, I know the only real internal difference between the gen 3 and 4 is the different recoil spring (I believe).  What advantages does this have?  And what other differences are there between the two?  

Should a gen 3 cost less than a gen 4? Do either have any inherent issues?  Thanks!
View Quote

Keep it classic?  The G-19 is the most popular Glock on Planet Earth!  If longevity is important to you then black is the most ultraviolet (sun) light resistant of all the polymer colors.  

One of the main reasons, ‘Why’ I prefer Glock’s third generation pistols is because I’m able to use superior Wolff Gunsprings, NP3 coated, All Steel Guide Rods along with Wolff's high tensile strength recoil springs.  I have more than 10 years’ experience using these rods; and they have given me smoother recoiling Glocks that always RTB tightly for me.  

As far as I’m concerned it took some kind ‘a hutzpah for someone at Glock to increase the size of Glock’s problematic magazine release button.  Glock’s magazine release springs are not particularly strong; and 3 times during the past 11 years I’ve looked down to see my Glock’s magazine lying on the ground at my feet!  What I do, now, is to remove the magazine release from the frame and Dremel the front corners off the button.  Because I’m ambidextrous this also helps whenever I carry or fire with my left hand.  

My round counts are high.  Typically, at least, 25,000 rounds on each pistol.  On my straight Gen3 frames I stipple only the top part of the frame under the web of my hand, and underneath my thumb and trigger finger.  I, also, prefer to use a Hogue soft rubber, ‘Hand-All’ sleeve on the bottom of the grip.  This arrangement works very well for me, and is easy on my shirts and cover jackets.  

As for the Gen4’s adjustable backstraps?  I have big hands; and it’s easy for me to wrap my mitts around a standard frame G-21.  Is the difference in price between Gen3’s, and Gen4’s justified?  No, not in my opinion.  The only thing I think this price increase does is support the illusion that, somehow, a Gen4 is worth more than a Gen3.  Which, as far as I’m concerned, is a joke.  Glock’s Gen3 pistols are the longest running, and most thoroughly field-tested of all the Glock generations.  

Here's the stippling:  
http://i1034.photobucket.com/albums/a422/69204Me/Pistols/Glock20Model2021208_zpsyam3xdk5.jpg  

Here's one of my third generation Glocks (A G-21):  
http://i1034.photobucket.com/albums/a422/69204Me/Pistols/Glock20Model20212012_zpsr403u9mi.jpg
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 1:12:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Just for the sake of argument, I managed to nab my Gen 3 G26 for about 75 less than the gen 4.
Personally that's a big difference and the grip on the gen 4 didn't feel $75 better.

Quoted:

Not really in my opinion.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:18:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The day that the Gen 4 replaces the Gen 3 will result in butthurt of epic proportions.
View Quote

Most likely.  But the Gen3s are still going strong.  I'm starting to think that there's a reason for that.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:24:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Most likely.  But the Gen3s are still going strong.  I'm starting to think that there's a reason for that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gen 4 fanboys seem to think the Gen 4 is a fits - all gun for whatever reason their obsessive minds come up with. It's not the case. Glock sells just as many, if not more, Gen 3's as 4's.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:40:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Gen 4 fanboys seem to think the Gen 4 is a fits - all gun for whatever reason their obsessive minds come up with. It's not the case. Glock sells just as many, if not more, Gen 3's as 4's.
View Quote

I have no idea what version sells better, but Glock was selling a lot of Gen 2's and lots of people preferred them when the Gen 3 came out (many still do as a matter of fact). Didn't stop Glock from discontinuing the Gen 2.

I don't think they should stop selling Gen 3 (good to have options) but I think the only reason they still make them is because Gen 4 isn't allowed in some states and they don't want to lose those markets.  They're not making them simply because people like them. If that was the case they'd still be making Gen 1 and Gen 2, they'd go back to the non-MIM parts, they'd still be using the frying pan finish, etc.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:01:24 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a Lipsey's Full FDE Gen4 G17, LOVE IT!  The Gen4's have softer, more crisp triggers, larger mag releases, noticeably slimmer frames.  Definite improvement over previous Gen's!  Only Gen3 I have left is G26.  Went Gen4 on everything else!
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:42:48 PM EDT
[#28]
As I said, I DO prefer Gen4s for a lot of reasons AND I do modify all mine (see mine below).
BUT I don't think their triggers are better than gen3s--I actually find them about the same BUT HARDER to get perfect for some reason.  Gen1s had great triggers BTW.  

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:53:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have a Lipsey's Full FDE Gen4 G17, LOVE IT!  The Gen4's have softer, more crisp triggers, larger mag releases, noticeably slimmer frames.  Definite improvement over previous Gen's!  Only Gen3 I have left is G26.  Went Gen4 on everything else!
View Quote

Frame width is in your head.
Imo (and many others) the Gen 4  trigger is NOT as good as a Gen 3. I don't know why so many of you guys think your OPINION of the Gen 4 being better is somehow fact.

The larger mag release on the Gen 4 isn't as good as Gen 3 IMO. Almost the entire back half of it sits so close down to the frame you can't even engage it enough to release the mag.

Opinions, opinions.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:39:53 AM EDT
[#30]
I was always a gen 3 guy, I picked up a 4 , 3 weeks ago and I like it. No backstrap, love the bigger mag release and shot side by side with my RTF2 23 recoil is seemingly less with the gen 4. I can only attribute this to the newer RSA. As for grip texture, the RTF 2's by far are the best frames Glock has ever offered. Either will serve you well.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:06:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

For a lot of mechanical reasons I don't care to write about, right now, THAT is ridiculous!  

The sear tab and striker profiles, along with everything else in each respective trigger mechanism are THE SAME on both generations.  What's more, back in 2012 Glock GmbH/Inc. increased the sear tab angle on ALL of their trigger bars AND added the additional drag of an alignment, 'bump' on the striker safety cam of most (if not all) of their trigger bars.  

I've got the earlier trigger bars with the lower tab angle and reduced coefficient-of-friction on both of my G-21's.  Trust me on this:  There ain't a Gen4 Glock in America with a factory-stock trigger mechanism in it that is, 'softer' than the Glock I use everyday - Not a Glock!  

As for a comparison between trigger resets?  A, 'cleaner' quicker trigger reset is primarily a function of how a Glock's 4 principle internal springs are set up, as well as the quality and tensile strength of which particular springs are being used.  First thing I do with a brand new Glock is to remove ALL of the outside contractor-supplied springs the factory uses, and replace them with highly consistent Wolff Gunsprings.  Then I call Ghost, Inc. and order another, 'EVO' connector - THESE ARE SOME OF THE THINGS that give any generation Glock pistol a, 'softer' trigger with a cleaner quicker trigger reset.  

One other thing:  When Glock GmbH/Inc. introduced their new Gen4 pistols they were met with (very well justified) skepticism by numerous large police agencies who historically knew better than to trust Glock's new anything.  These large agencies had already lived through numerous mechanical problems with ALL preceding generations of Glock pistols; and they knew better than to stop purchasing their, by this time, very well field tested and throughly, 'wrung-out' Gen3 service pistols.  This is the real reason, 'WHY' Glock is continuing to produce Gen3 pistols - An outstanding generation of Glocks that is presently largely devoid of the NUMEROUS well documented problems that have plagued (actually) ALL Glock generations.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:31:19 PM EDT
[#32]
I have always liked Glocks but they didn't like me. I have pretty big mitts and I would get slide bite every time I shot one in the webbing of my hands. I then avoided Glocks and figured I would never get another one. I tried all of the aftermarket add ons to make the tang bigger and nothing worked. The Gen 4 for me, was finally the answer I was hoping for from Glock. They have extra back straps you can put on if you wish and now no more slide bite. I am not crazy about the grip texture on the gen, 4 and prefer the gen. 3 grip texture/surface better.
The gen. 4 is a winner for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top