Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2015 2:08:59 PM EDT
What 9mm conversion barrels have you guys had the best luck with?  I'm wanting to buy one for a 23 and a 35 just to increase flexibility a bit.

I already have 3 19s so I've got plenty of magazines. I'm semi considering just getting a complete 34 slide and barrel for the 35 though.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 12:12:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Stay away from Lone Wolf if you value Glock reliability.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 1:33:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Lovely!    Are they really that bad?  

How about Bar-Sto or Storm Lake?  I know Bar-Sto has an excellent reputation for their regular barrels, but I don't know anything about their conversion barrels.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 2:11:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I have had zero issue with the LWD conversion barrels.  I also changed my ejector and extractor when I did the conversion.

To previous poster please give more explanation then just stay away..... Why? What experience do you have?
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 5:52:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Bar sto make great barrels no doubt.  

I also have had great success with the LWD 40-9 conversion.  

with changing out the ejector, extractor and with 9mm magazines like the other poster stated, the converted piatol ran reliably and accurately through a two day fighting pistol class.  The pistol also had a tlr-3 mounted throughout the class.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 6:07:10 PM EDT
[#5]
i have 2 lone wolfs.  i dont have an issue with their function, but the quality of the finish is sub-par, IMO.

at this poing, im only buying storm lake barrels and conversions.  they cost more, but they are top notch for function fit and finish.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 10:21:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Lone Wolf 9mm barrel that I used to convert a model 23. If it's not a problem, ask yourself why on their own website they offer to ream their barrels to accept reloads? Look up some reviews....

I have a 147 grain reload that is absolutely reliable in the following pistols- Beretta 92, Cz 75x3, Sig 226, a FORTY YEAR OLD HIGH POWER, an STI, Smith Wesson M&P's--several, Kahr CW-......It pretty much runs in EVERY gun but the Lone Wolf Glock. Is every one of those other guns just sloppy? I mean, a friggen forty year old HIGH POWER, not a pistol known for being the most reliable with out of spec ammo, will run these loads.....
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 10:27:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I prefer US made barrels or at the very least something other than the cheapest Asian source(LWD).

My threaded Storm Lake barrel has been really good to me and shoots very nice.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 10:29:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a Lone Wolf 9mm barrel that I used to convert a model 23. If it's not a problem, ask yourself why on their own website they offer to ream their barrels to accept reloads? Look up some reviews....

I have a 147 grain reload that is absolutely reliable in the following pistols- Beretta 92, Cz 75x3, Sig 226, a FORTY YEAR OLD HIGH POWER, an STI, Smith Wesson M&P's--several, Kahr CW-......It pretty much runs in EVERY gun but the Lone Wolf Glock. Is every one of those other guns just sloppy? I mean, a friggen forty year old HIGH POWER, not a pistol known for being the most reliable with out of spec ammo, will run these loads.....
View Quote

Have you had them ream the chamber did it not correct your issues?  Is it another issue ejector extractor?  Does it run factory load but not your reloads?
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 11:14:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I've had good luck with my Lone Wolf G23 conversion barrel.  I haven't changed the extractor or anything but the magazines and barrel, and I haven't had a single malfunction (that I can remember).  There's probably around 500 rds through it now, with no issues.  As a disclaimer, though, all I've shot out of it has been factory ammo, no reloads.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 12:30:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I've had a couple of LW conversion (40/9) barrels over the years and had zero issues. My brother still owns one and has had no issues.  It eat the wolf steel cased that I bought back in 1998.

My threaded barrels are all storm lake or factory. SL is a great barrel maker, IMHO.

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 2:49:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a lone wolf 40-9 barrel that's been problem free with every type of ammo even my soft reloads.  I just changed the barrel and mags.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 6:51:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Never a problem with my LW 9mm barrel for a G23.
My Storm Lake is slightly more accurate.

Dave N
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:07:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Dave N
View Quote

Stormlake all day long.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 2:56:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Have you had them ream the chamber did it not correct your issues?  Is it another issue ejector extractor?  Does it run factory load but not your reloads?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have NOT had them ream the chamber. It pisses me off that I bought a barrel to run lead and threaded for a suppressor as well and now I have to pay MORE to have it work right. That's not why I bought the damn thing. If they KNOW it's going to be a problem why will they not just make it right in the first place?

I have not swapped out the ejector or extractor- if I was going to carry it on the street I probably would- and may still..... It will run MOST factory ammo though it will NOT run anything steel cased- again, not "Glock Like" reliability.

I'm not alone either. If you Google it up there are plenty of people with "tight chambered" LW barrels.....
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 4:11:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I have NOT had them ream the chamber. It pisses me off that I bought a barrel to run lead and threaded for a suppressor as well and now I have to pay MORE to have it work right. That's not why I bought the damn thing. If they KNOW it's going to be a problem why will they not just make it right in the first place?

I have not swapped out the ejector or extractor- if I was going to carry it on the street I probably would- and may still..... It will run MOST factory ammo though it will NOT run anything steel cased- again, not "Glock Like" reliability.

I'm not alone either. If you Google it up there are plenty of people with "tight chambered" LW barrels.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I totally understand not wanting to send it off but I bet if you pressed them enough they would provide a shipping label to complete it for you and you would have a working barrel.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 8:54:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Stormlake all day long.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dave N

Stormlake all day long.

And they aren't that much more than the other brands
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:28:32 PM EDT
[#17]
If I were going to pick one drop in, it would be the SL.
My LW is an older one. Maybe they are not made as well now.

Dave N
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 4:42:21 PM EDT
[#18]
I run storm lake in my glock 23 and glock 35.  So far everything runs great, will need to get a 9mm ejector and extractor to get the best ejection if I choose to run them in a self defense role.  Check Midway USA, they sometimes have sales for storm lake conversion barrels.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 5:02:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Just picked up a KKM match conversion barrel for my Glock 20 to shoot 40 S&W Taking her out this weekend for testing
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 5:09:03 PM EDT
[#20]
I use a Lone Wolf 40-9 conversion for a Glock 32.  Zero issues with reliability, even though they warn that there might be issues with some guns and some ammo.  I've shot 5 or 6 different brands through it, WWB, Federal, S&B, Wolf, Tula, American Eagle, and CCI, and maybe even a couple others, with no problems.

Your mileage may vary.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 6:49:57 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a couple Storm Lake Conversion Barrels for my XD & Glocks, they run flawlessly. I was sort of biased against LW, mostly because of the fugly wolf logo. Machining of the barrels is excellent and grouping are tight.

Every Year I would buy SL barrels directly from the President of Storm Lake at Shot Show, at an Industry special pricing, before he sold the business to Freedom group (Remington).

Then I built a custom G24 w/a LW .40 barrel and run flawlessly. I got the LW barrel without the logo. The machining on it looks really nice. Nice accurate and tight groupings. I heard the LW barrels were made in Korea, from a well known manufacturer of barrels.

The Storm Lake and LW barrels have much tighter chambers than the loose Glock barrels, thus the reliability of the Glock barrels with a variety of ammo.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:00:33 PM EDT
[#22]
my first Lone Wolf conversion barrel worked flawlessly. However, my second one has too tight of a chamber and will only go into battery with a few factory loads. If I seat my reloads deep and use a FCD I get pretty reliable results.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:26:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Thanks guys. I'm leaning towards Storm Lake.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:43:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Stop leaning dammit and just get it you know the difference in price is very insignificant in the grand scheme of things but worth it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:45:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Stop leaning dammit and just get it you know the difference in price is very insignificant in the grand scheme of things but worth it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I may go for the Bar -Sto yet.  I'm not in a huge rush.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:51:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see I thought we were still comparing LWD vs SL.  SLvsBar-Sto I would say to me whoever can get it to me fastest.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:57:41 PM EDT
[#27]
This was a project that has grown legs so to speak.  

Last year I bought one of those NiBo Glock 23 uppers and the original plan was to use it as a spare on one of my 19 frames.  But I've decided to go a head and buy another frame and build a 3 caliber pistol, .40, 9mm, and .357 Sig.

Now I'm debating buying one of the beater 32s I'm seeing on Gunbroker to get the frame and factory .357 barrel.   I would then try and sell the slide.  

Shits almost as bad as ARs.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top