Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2015 3:15:40 PM EDT
Check it out, had some of the bad black parts in the slide that I switched out.

Also got this Gen 2 LE Trade in G23.

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 4:03:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I do not know if it is just me but the Gen1 is such an ugly pistol.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 4:44:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I do not know if it is just me but the Gen1 is such an ugly pistol.
View Quote

It's not just you. However, congrats to the OP for scoring one.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 4:47:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to think Glocks were ugly too.

Untill I actually had one my 21.

when some thug tried to force my door ,It was the most beautiful thing in the world.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 4:49:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 4:52:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Personally, I have never been a fan of the gen 1s.  Good score though
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 5:08:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I love the Gen1. Looks great.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 6:28:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Why is there pictures of a Gen 1 and 2 in your post OP?

Two different guns
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 6:32:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Two different guns
View Quote

Yes I picked up a nice Gen 2 Glock 23 as well.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 6:53:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Two different guns

Just wanted to make sure we were paying attention, eh?  

Nice score.  Don't see many of those around.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 7:05:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Two different guns

Trying to complete a set?
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 7:07:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Gen 5 Glocks should throwback to the Gen 1 Glocks after a fashion.

Keep the RTF, lose the finger grooves, add light rail.  Boom.

Also have night sights and threaded barrels as standard options.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 7:10:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Color me jealous. beautiful Gen 1. What did it set you back?
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 7:18:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Very nice!
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 7:21:04 PM EDT
[#14]
The gen 1s always look slightly melted to me...
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 7:30:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I said almost the same thing last week.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 7:34:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Color me jealous. beautiful Gen 1. What did it set you back?
View Quote

Cost me $575 shipped to my FFL and a $20 transfer fee so $595 total. Yah I have 1 of every Generation of Glock pistol now.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 7:42:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Awesome! Congrats OP
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 8:55:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Here's mine; AY442 that I bought back in 1986.  Sold it in 2004.  Never could get a good pattern with it- 17 rounds always looked like a few 12 gauge shells on the paper.

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 9:47:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Gen 1 picture thread!

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 10:13:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Wonder if there are any po-po's still carrying the gen1?
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 10:40:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Go on, I'm listening.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 9:22:12 AM EDT
[#22]
There was one on the local market here a few months ago, cant remember the exact price but I think it was pretty reasonable.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 12:49:03 PM EDT
[#23]
BTW, I paid $286 for mine back in '86.

The price has gone up since then.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 6:37:57 PM EDT
[#24]
The Gen 1 G17 was my first glock. Shot the piss out of it and it was 100% reliable. Never should have sold it to fund the Gen 2.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 9:26:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Go on, I'm listening.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go on, I'm listening.

Hell I'm in for one!
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 9:30:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
BTW, I paid $286 for mine back in '86.

The price has gone up since then.
View Quote

What is $286 in today's dollars?
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 12:22:56 AM EDT
[#27]
$614.42
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 8:35:01 AM EDT
[#28]
That is a super clean Gen 1.  Nice find.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 11:20:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Wonder if there are any po-po's still carrying the gen1?
View Quote

I know of one at the PD I work for. Serial prefix is CCXXX. Guy is part time and has worked for the PD since the PD bought the guns in 1987. In fact, he used the original magazines up till a couple years ago, when the springs finally gave up the ghost. 3 new mags and the gun is still good to go. I've been one of the firearms instructors since 1994 and an armorer since about then and, aside from a couple good detail cleanings, he's only had 1 issue that wasn't the gun but was stupidity.

The Chief at the time hated guns (and, in fact, once told me that if he could get away with it, we wouldn't be carrying guns at all ), so naturally he hated cleaning guns. He bought a case of some kind of spray brake cleaner and approved it for cleaning guns. The idea was to lock the action open, spray the gun down, lube a little and voila!, a clean gun in about 5 minutes. The above Officer used the brake cleaner right before qualifications one day, then complained that his trigger pull was getting heavier and heavier over the course of an hour or so, then his trigger wouldn't pull at all. The gun was checked and it was discovered that the polymer trigger had melted to the polymer frame. The gun was sent back to Glock, who fixed it and the gun has never had another problem. Needless to say, the brake cleaner was pulled and was not approved for gun cleaning.

I have one of the other guns bought by the PD at the same time. Mine is only 4 serial numbers away from the above Officer's. Mine was having sporadic FTExtract and FTEject issues. Extractor and ejector look fine, so I think the extractor depressor plunger spring finally packed it in. I finally got another one and compared it to the original, original was compressed to almost 2 coils shorter than the new one. I haven't been to the range yet with the gun since replacing the spring, we'll see if it took care of it when I get to the range. Should have, but the only way to make sure is to shoot it.

I was almost another Officer carrying a 1st Gen G17. The PD I work for used to have a policy allowing you to carry personally owned guns. A new Chief a couple years ago changed this and went to issued guns only, Gen4 G22s. He was hired as City manager a few months later and we got another new Chief, who is slowly going back to the policy of allowing personally owned guns. I despise .40, so I was deciding between using my new 3rd Gen G19 or my G17. It was a tough choice, but I finally decided on my G19, mainly due to the fact that the Chief only allows us to qualify with and carry only 1 backup/off duty gun and using the G19 allows me to carry it off duty when I can wear heavy enough clothes to effectively conceal it or use my 9mm S&W Shield for backup on duty and off duty carry during the warmer months (I recently got to shoot a G42 for the first time; if the G43 is truly only fractionally larger than the G42, then the Shield may soon be replaced by a G43, especially since there are now +1 magazine base plates that only add a fraction of an inch to the butt, and +2 base plates for spare mags). Now that I'm the head instructor, that policy is starting to go away, too, so I'm again considering carrying my G17. I have posted pics of it before and it is beat to HELL. Still shoots well, though, but the stippling is so worn that the butt is practically smooth, so it would need something like a stick on rubber grip, so we'll see.

Bub75
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 7:48:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Congrats on the Gen 1. I got mine about 3 years ago. It is my favorite G17 to shoot. Tuff Grip sleeve and it was good to go. Eventually had a GSSF armorer replace all the black parts. Only complaint is the slide hold open notch is too shallow for the hold open to work. Some people used to file the notch deeper but I won't and can't bring myself to do so.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 9:08:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Congrats on the Gen 1. I got mine about 3 years ago. It is my favorite G17 to shoot. Tuff Grip sleeve and it was good to go. Eventually had a GSSF armorer replace all the black parts. Only complaint is the slide hold open notch is too shallow for the hold open to work. Some people used to file the notch deeper but I won't and can't bring myself to do so.
View Quote

Thanks mine works great put a extended slide stop on but had to bend the spring to get the right tension due to only having two pins. Also has some weird phosphate refinish that I cleaned off.  Thinking about getting it ceracoted graphite black. I replaced the trigger and all springs with modern versions. It is a very sweet shooter.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 9:55:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:08:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Just want to show off when I got her she had a shitty phosphate finish which would scratch easily.  She is now ceracoted in graphite black. Man isn't she purdy!

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:59:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Very nice!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top