Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:06:51 PM EDT
[#1]
use the pad of your finger (not the joint) on the trigger and pull straight back
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:01:51 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Assuming your front sight is square to the slide and with OEM parts, it is trigger finger placement.  

Right handed shooters shoot left....left handers shoot right.

It's bc Glock triggers have long overtravel.  Dry fire on a white wall and watch your front sight.  It will move left when the trigger breaks.

Fix it by tightening grip and reaching further into the trigger guard.  Test via dry fire.
View Quote
Thanks, but I don't shoot left with any of my other glocks. I have also never experienced this before with any Glock I have come in contact with. All of my academy students are issued Glock 17's and my department issues glock 22's. In 15 years none of those glocks actually ever shot left. It was always the shooter. This is not shooter error as I posted in the original post. Thanks

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:37:23 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Thanks, but I don't shoot left with any of my other glocks. I have also never experienced this before with any Glock I have come in contact with. All of my academy students are issued Glock 17's and my department issues glock 22's. In 15 years none of those glocks actually ever shot left. It was always the shooter. This is not shooter error as I posted in the original post. Thanks  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Assuming your front sight is square to the slide and with OEM parts, it is trigger finger placement.  

It's bc Glock triggers have long overtravel.  Dry fire on a white wall and watch your front sight.  It will move left when the trigger breaks.

Fix it by tightening grip and reaching further into the trigger guard.  Test via dry fire.

maybe one of the sights is molded wrong?

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:22:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shoot it left handed and find out...

Or dry for on a white wall.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:47:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I constantly dry fire with my glocks including my SIRT pistol that I have had since 2011. In my original post I said that I shoot a Glock 22 with the exact gen 4 9mm frame and DK Custom Trigger with no issues. The pistol that shoots left and the one that does not have the exact same 9mm lower with a light smooth and beautiful DK trigger with the take up and over travel removed. When I dryfire there is no movement in my sights since I constantly practice this specifically. I don't know how to make it any clearer that it is not user error. Thanks

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:13:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Have a Glock certified armorer or similarly competent armorer take a micrometer to verfify sights are properly positioned. Try a different barrel. If that doesn't work try a different trigger group.  If that doesn't correct anything than most likely it might be shooter. Could be the way your eye is focusing or the usual suspects of grip, trigger pull.

I have a GEN4 19 and when I do my job it's dead-on. When I got left or low left I know it's usually my trigger squeeze.  

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:23:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I constantly dry fire with my glocks including my SIRT pistol that I have had since 2011. In my original post I said that I shoot a Glock 22 with the exact gen 4 9mm frame and DK Custom Trigger with no issues. The pistol that shoots left and the one that does not have the exact same 9mm lower with a light smooth and beautiful DK trigger with the take up and over travel removed. When I dryfire there is no movement in my sights since I constantly practice this specifically. I don't know how to make it any clearer that it is not user error. Thanks  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You aren't hearing me.  I'm not saying you are incorrect.  

It's the trigger.  As I said, the gun moves during overtravel...Glocks are famous for it.  

You don't see it in the other gun because it has an aftermarket trigger with overtravel revolved as you said.

Test it out.  Shoot it left handed.  Paper doesn't lie.  

Glocks do this.  It's common.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 4:18:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Today I brought my G19.3 and G17.4 to the range with 150 rounds of Tula and 10 rounds of Speer Gold Dots... I was consistently shooting high left at 7 yards... about an inch left... anyways I slowed myself down and worked on my grip, trigger press and front sight and was able put several rounds into a tight little group just above the center of the target with 2 going inside the bullseye... it appears the winter was tuff on my pistol shooting ability. I'll be reasonable and concede it is shooter error in my case, specifically bad trigger press... I'm going to do some serious dry fire practice and get myself back into shape and report back!

- Clint
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 8:33:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Today I brought my G19.3 and G17.4 to the range with 150 rounds of Tula and 10 rounds of Speer Gold Dots... I was consistently shooting high left at 7 yards... about an inch left... anyways I slowed myself down and worked on my grip, trigger press and front sight and was able put several rounds into a tight little group just above the center of the target with 2 going inside the bullseye... it appears the winter was tuff on my pistol shooting ability. I'll be reasonable and concede it is shooter error in my case, specifically bad trigger press... I'm going to do some serious dry fire practice and get myself back into shape and report back!

- Clint
View Quote

Practice makes perfect. After not going to the range for a few months I really have to focus to be spot on with my Glock.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:02:57 AM EDT
[#10]
I've been teaching pistol shooting for a lot of years.  The simple fact of the matter is that on discharge the muzzle tends to break towards the weakest part of the grasping hand; AND, either pre or post ignition flinching only exacerbates this tendency.  A right-handed pistol shooter will, indeed, tend to break his shots to the left (towards the fingertips of his grasping hand); and a left-handed pistol shooter will tend to break his shots towards the right.  

I've, also, got more than 12 years of experience running Glock pistols (fixing them, too).  Some people swear that there's no overtravel in a Glock trigger - or, at least, no discernible overtravel.  Know what?  Because of the comparatively large amount of mechanical slop and variance among different Glock pistols, some people may be right!  Overtravel on many Glock pistols is, at most, barely discernible; and, when it does happen, it will tend to drop shots rather than to throw them either left, or right.  

In any event, Glock pistol triggers do NOT have long overtravel; most of the time they have barely noticeable overtravel, instead.  Because I tend to shoot quickly I have eliminated overtravel from my own Glocks by using a variety of different aftermarket trigger stops.  So far, I've found Ghost's EVO connector to be one of the best.  Is a trigger stop absolutely necessary on a Glock?  Ahh, I don't know; you can still do decent combat pistol shooting without using one.  I do like mine though; and so has everyone else who's ever shot one of my Glocks.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:30:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Have a competent left handed shooter fire the pistol WITHOUT telling him about the issue.

If he rarely shoots left, but starts shooting left than maybe it's the pistol.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:14:54 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

It's the trigger.  As I said, the gun moves during overtravel...Glocks are famous for it.  

You don't see it in the other gun because it has an aftermarket trigger with overtravel revolved as you said.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I may not be making myself clear. Both guns (17/22)have the same frame and same DK Custom Trigger with no over travel. The gun that is shooting left has no over travel.

Not to muddy the waters, but the 19 shoots left and it has the standard trigger. All the cadet and department guns have standard triggers and I do not shoot them left. It is not the trigger.

Maybe this will help.

1. Gen 4 Glock 22 -

DK Custom Trigger - no pretravel/ no over travel.

Does NOT shoot left.

2. Gen 4 Glock 17 -

DK Custom Trigger - no pretravel/ no over travel.

SHOOTS LEFT.

3. Gen 4 Glock 19 -

Standard trigger

SHOOTS LEFT.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:29:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Do you believe that there is such a thing as a mechanical zero for a weapon?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I understand correctly, you drifted the sights and fixed the problem.  So what's the problem again?

I have to drift the sights on all my Glocks.

This. All firearms must be sighted in to the user.

Do you believe that there is such a thing as a mechanical zero for a weapon?

Sure. But mechanical zero (which is centering the sights in the middle of the adjustment range) doesnt result in a sighted in weapon in most cases.  If my rifle has 90 click of windage correction i cant just center it an 45 clicks and expect to hit where I am aiming. true zero might be as many as 12 clicks in either direction from mechanical zero.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:31:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So instead of correcting deficiencies in a shooter's technique, you recommend masking it by taking the sights off mechanical zero.

Got it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mechanical zero is a starting point for zeroing on guns with adjustable sighting systems. Once they are on mechanical zero rarely if ever do they shoot exactly where they need to without adjustments for the individual shooter

So instead of correcting deficiencies in a shooter's technique, you recommend masking it by taking the sights off mechanical zero.

Got it.

Do you just leave your scopes at mechanical zero? Your BUIS? Your red dots?
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:39:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
use the pad of your finger (not the joint) on the trigger and pull straight back
View Quote

You know.. normally I wouldn't suggest this based on the posters creds, but...

I recently encountered an instructor who was telling students to use the joint on their finger. This instructor had a couple decades of LE experience and almost as much instructor experience. This of course made me
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:48:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I recently encountered an instructor who was telling students to use the joint on their finger. This instructor had a couple decades of LE experience and almost as much instructor experience. This of course made me
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just for the record I shoot with the pad of my finger, but that is irrelevant because one glock shoots left while the other does not and they have essentially the same specs. I have also never encountered this before in 15 years of professional use.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:49:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Double post.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 2:53:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I took a carbine/pistol class with Kyle Defoor earlier last year. He was an amazing shot with a handgun (G19.2 w/ a personally fitted aftermarket barrel was what he was using at the time). He advocated using more trigger finger. Now, I don't think he was suggesting to actually use the joint, but damn close to it. Basically, he was saying to get as much finger in there as you could (insert "that's what she said" joke here).
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 6:25:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Glocks inability to make a firearm that shoots straight with the rear sight centered is one of the reasons I dumped them for other platforms.

Why?  Because just like the OP, if you get used to presenting a firearm with a centered rear sight, and then you move to a firearm with the sight drifted to compensate for the gun shooting left, it really really fucks up your reps.

All of the Glock 45's I owned shot dead nuts center with the rear sight centered.

All of my Glock 19's shot dead nuts center with the rear sight centered.

2/3rds of my Glock 17's shot centered, 1/3rd shot left.

EVERY SINGLE G34 I've owned and G17L I have owned shot far enough left that I refused to even try and keep them.  Every.  Single.  One.

And this was during my heyday of Glock love when I was exclusively shooting them.

I've since switched to another popular striker fired platform, have owned about 8 of them, and all have shot centered with the rear sights in the middle.  All of them.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 6:26:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Did you swap slides between the 17 and the 22 and see what happens? Yeah, I know, different ejector, but I'd bet that wouldn't be an issue for a few rounds at the range.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 8:05:11 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I've been teaching pistol shooting for a lot of years.  The simple fact of the matter is that on discharge the muzzle tends to break towards the weakest part of the grasping hand; AND, either pre or post ignition flinching only exacerbates this tendency.  A right-handed pistol shooter will, indeed, tend to break his shots to the left (towards the fingertips of his grasping hand); and a left-handed pistol shooter will tend to break his shots towards the right.  

View Quote

I have no idea what this means.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:12:56 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Did you swap slides between the 17 and the 22 and see what happens? Yeah, I know, different ejector, but I'd bet that wouldn't be an issue for a few rounds at the range.
View Quote
I haven't tried that yet, but the 22 is actually riding on a 17 frame. I'll give it a try when I make it to the range.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:19:36 PM EDT
[#23]
I will not keep a firearm I am not confident with.  Especially if it causes me grief when I should be having fun shooting.  Although, most shooting left problems are grip issues, you say not.  I would find another brand to shoot.  Glocks are not for everyone IMHO.  My own brother hates them.  I despise Sig.  To each his own I guess. Peace!
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:26:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think what he was trying to state is that with a right handed shooter recoil will usually be to the left because most novice shooter dont apply enough grip pressure with their support (left) hand
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:35:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think of it like water...recoil or other forces will follow the path of least resistance.  

Picture a pistol in your hands.  Where is the path of least resistance for recoil?  Watch it on video and you will see the pistol recoil up and left for a righty.  When fired, they often dip down and left due to trigger control.  

Be Water grasshopper
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:50:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

In the OP's case - and based on the picture - looks like rear sight was off.  What I was commenting on was the idea that there's design defect in the basic design that causes Glocks to shoot left.   That makes no sense.  Will it shoot to the left if the rear sight is drifted, of course, but there's nothing about the trigger bar design that should cause this.   I'd be interested in a citation or Vicker's quote.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's a known thing with glocks.  Even Larry Vickers talks about this problem.  I do it too, it's not too bad now days, I just train to shoot a little to the right of what I want to hit.

I personally think its how the trigger bar is designed.

It's how the trigger is squeezed.

Yea... its kinda hard to say that when you shoot 10 shots with one glock and are dead center and then immediately pick up another and its 2" left, and then you immediately go back to the other and it is dead center... it does this consistently.  I shoot dead on with my 23 and 17 but my 19 is a little left.  Definitely annoying but going to take it out today and make whatever adjustments need to be made.  I definitely blamed myself first and even went in bought a G17 trigger for my 19 thinking i might have been putting inconsistent pressure on the stepped trigger but it didn't make a difference (this was the trigger + trigger bar that I replaced).

In the OP's case - and based on the picture - looks like rear sight was off.  What I was commenting on was the idea that there's design defect in the basic design that causes Glocks to shoot left.   That makes no sense.  Will it shoot to the left if the rear sight is drifted, of course, but there's nothing about the trigger bar design that should cause this.   I'd be interested in a citation or Vicker's quote.

I think my rear may have been off too bc I changed out the sights yesterday and went out and shot straight.  Idk... It shot really well with the new sights so I'm satisfied.  The only other thing I can think of is that my 23 and 17 are G4 and my 19 is a G3 and maybe there were some discrepancies in my grip.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:10:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know.    

Obviously you've yet to take the time to analyze your own grip, how your fingers curl, and where the weakest part of your encircling grasp actually is.  (The part of your hand the whole gun wants to break toward every time you unconsciously relax your grip while firing!)  You're, also, going to have to learn how to disarticulate your trigger finger from the circle of your grasp.  Once you understand this, you'll begin to recognize how the muscles and tendons in your gun hand jerk and contract every time you flinch - Which should go a long way toward making a better pistolero out of you.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:21:15 AM EDT
[#28]
i shot a 19 with the ny+ trigger (orange)

my gun has allways shot to the left. not that big of a deal until i get to about 15 yrds.

when i go to the range i try to shot 5,10,15,and 20 to see how much it will will be off .(no rest,normal grip)

at about 20 yrds its about 4 inches over to the left
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:53:22 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I know.    

Obviously you've yet to take the time to analyze your own grip, how your fingers curl, and where the weakest part of your encircling grasp actually is.  (The part of your hand the whole gun wants to break toward every time you unconsciously relax your grip while firing!)  You're, also, going to have to learn how to disarticulate your trigger finger from the circle of your grasp.  Once you understand this, you'll begin to recognize how the muscles and tendons in your gun hand jerk and contract every time you flinch - Which should go a long way toward making a better pistolero out of you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know.    

lol
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:43:55 PM EDT
[#30]
OP I have the same issue.  Same relative experience as you.  I drifted the sights right and shoot dead center.  This is on a G19 gen 4.  G19 gen 3, shoots dead on with centered rear sight as does my G26 gen 4.  They are all stock except factory extended slide stop.  Old agency G23 gen 3 was also centered.

It just looks crazy when looking at the rear sight.  It's not you.  All my other guns are centered rear sights (HKs, 1911s, Sigs, Berettas, FNs, S&Ws).  Shoot it and move on.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:36:46 PM EDT
[#31]
I hate to say it but my wife's new gen 4 G17 shoots to the left too. I'm an advanced firearms instructor as well as the PFI and armorer.  like the OP I love proving to my students that it is not the gun but a flaw in their form. Shoots tight little groups though. We are going to shoot it and see if it wears in and go from there, not a huge deal to me.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:58:58 PM EDT
[#32]
My last g19 and my new g43 BOTH allowed me to over tighten the front sight so much (I use small pliers on the Glock front sight tool) that it torqued the front sight off center a tiny bit--as confirmed with calipers--though a friend who is much more anal than me noticed it.  I straightened them, while not tightening them quite as much, and used blue loctite.  

One front sight was a Trijicon HD (g42/g43) and the other was a Y-notch Proctor sight (g19).
Maybe GLOCK is getting sloppy on their front holes or maybe sights are too soft and allowing some twisting.
I have two wilson combat battle sights that didn't get crooked when installed on a different gen4 g19.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 10:32:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Mine does it too. I have a Gen 3 G17 that I have to hold right just off the target to get a center hit. I remedied that by shooting my Beretta instead. Kidding I did however push the sights to the right and the problem went away.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:11:51 PM EDT
[#34]
My new G17 was shooting left my first time out. I was determined I wouldn't have a drifted/cockeyed rear sight on it.

After a little dry fire practice to work on my trigger press, plus just slowing down a bit as I get used to my new pistol, the left thing went away in my subsequent range trips.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:25:03 PM EDT
[#35]
I had the same issue. With the sights centered on a Glock 20 or Glock 21, I shoot center. For some reason, on my new G17, I was shooting 3 inches left at 15 yards. I just drifted the sight. I've also considered putting on the largest backstrap to see if the problem goes away. It feels about the same as a G21SF if I do that.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:53:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Ok

So here's a question.

You drifted the sight to compensate.  Now, does it hit POA?  If so, double the sight distance.  Now shoot again.

Still hitting POA?  Or left again?
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:23:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I had the same issue. With the sights centered on a Glock 20 or Glock 21, I shoot center. For some reason, on my new G17, I was shooting 3 inches left at 15 yards. I just drifted the sight. I've also considered putting on the largest backstrap to see if the problem goes away. It feels about the same as a G21SF if I do that.
View Quote

17.4 w/L backstrap/no beavertail works like a charm for me. Largish palms and shortish fingers.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:45:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Now I am thoroughly confused; my Gen4 G19 shot way high and right. (I'm right-handed.) I bought a replacement set of Meprolight sights, thinking there was an issue with the originals. It didn't resolve the issue. I ended up using a 17L rear sight (shorter) and drifting it to left. I ended up sinking a lot of money into the gun just to get the sights aligned.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:42:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Now I am thoroughly confused; my Gen4 G19 shot way high and right. (I'm right-handed.) I bought a replacement set of Meprolight sights, thinking there was an issue with the originals. It didn't resolve the issue. I ended up using a 17L rear sight (shorter) and drifting it to left. I ended up sinking a lot of money into the gun just to get the sights aligned.
View Quote

WHY SOME GLOCKS SHOOT HIGH!  

Another thing:  Sometimes simply installing a new (flatter) aftermarket SLIDE LOCK can get rid of horizontal barrel misalignment.  Glocks are cheap-to-manufacture, quickly made pistols.  Some tinkering with the finished product is to be expected - As is a good 3 to 5 hundred round break-in period before carrying.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:24:18 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View Quote
What did you do to get them aligned?

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top