Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2015 1:19:05 AM EDT
I am a newbie and changing out the sights on my G27.  I have a sight pusher for the rear sight but no Glock front sight tool.  I realize the front sight screw (bolt) head is extremely thin but I wondered if a regular 3/16" nut driver would work?  I don't presently have a nut driver that small but would certainly pony up if it would work.  Just want to get the sights installed and not wait another week for arrival  of the sight tool.

Thanks,
Mike
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 2:56:53 AM EDT
[#1]
no they generally don't work because the bevel inside is deeper than the bolt head thickness.

HOWEVER.

If you file it down it will work.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 3:02:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
no they generally don't work because the bevel inside is deeper than the bolt head thickness.

HOWEVER.

View Quote

This.  Shorten it enough to remove the bevel and you're good to go.  And it'll be higher quality than some of the front sight tools out there.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 4:43:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

HOWEVER.

View Quote

That's kinda funny, I had to do that to the hex drive bit I bought that's marketed for the purpose.
At least it was only $5.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 7:06:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought a Aro Tek Glock front sight tool from Brownells.  Get the right tools for the job.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:05:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I bought a Aro Tek Glock front sight tool from Brownells.  Get the right tools for the job.
View Quote

I bought the Aerotek 3 tool set and have been happy with it. I keep Glock tools (armorer's tool and sight tool) in my range bag. Both work, but the Aerotek tools are made much nicer and are more durable.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:41:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought this and it works great.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 2:31:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, just changed the sights on my G19 and it worked great.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 2:36:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Totally understand the urge to do something without waiting. If you have access to a bench grinder just take a regular nut driver down to a thin wall on the grinder until it clears the ridge in the machining on the inside of the slide. Keep the end of the nut driver flat and square so you don't tear up the nut and remember you will have more leverage than you probably need when you install the new sight so be gentle. Then order a correct tool for next time, you won't regret spending a few bucks to have a purpose built tool.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 7:44:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

This the tool I have.  I just pull the cotton off of the tip of a qtip and shove into the socket to keep the screw from falling in too far when assembling the new front sight.  Works great.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 9:41:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I used some needle nose pliers and had good luck a couple.... until I didn't. I just bought the front sight tool like others for $10 a called it a day.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:55:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, they work great. I got mine off of eBay and paid $6 or $7 with free shipping.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:46:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This, they work great. I got mine off of eBay and paid $6 or $7 with free shipping.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey thanks- I just ordered one after reading this.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:12:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wife was buying baby stuff on amazon and I got her to throw one in the cart too.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:06:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Likewise.
Wiha 26547 Precision Nut Driver, Inch, 3/16 x 60mm
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:45:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for all the advice.  Learned my lesson, ground down a nutdriver to install the front sight and lo and behold that sucker loosened up while at the range today even though I loctited it.
Aro-Tek tools on the way!  I tried to cheap out this time and got payback in spades.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:17:38 PM EDT
[#16]
tag
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:19:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

same here
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 5:15:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the advice.  Learned my lesson, ground down a nutdriver to install the front sight and lo and behold that sucker loosened up while at the range today even though I loctited it.
Aro-Tek tools on the way!  I tried to cheap out this time and got payback in spades.

Mike
View Quote

I had the same experience, though I didn't have to modify my nut driver. I just gave it a little extra oomph the next time and it's been OK.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 5:58:12 PM EDT
[#19]
I have the Glock oem front sight tool,it is the best!
It works where the others won't eg G42.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top