Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2015 10:32:10 AM EDT
Really,  I  think the G42 has too many problems for CCW.  Seems to need an extended break in period. Finicky ammo plus that underpowered 380 ACP round. Come on thought SHot 2015 would bring relief.... Jeeshh

En realidad, yo poseo dos G42s . Correr pequeño experimento de investigación a bordo indentify claramente los que odian G42 y el tiempo que tarda hasta que se genera un solo hilo 9mm pila. Digo 5 hilos?

Title edit - AJE
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:50:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Glock 9mm and 10mms are awesome.  Everything else they makes is blah, or downright sucks.

I don't understand the obsession with Glock making a single stack 9mm.  The G42 and 36 are a pretty good example the fail that happens when try to do something other than a doublestack 9 or 10mm.

Leave the single stack and 380 stuff to the folks who know how to do it.

Glock did not invent reliable handguns, not do they have patent on it, nor do they make anything more reliable than their competition.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:01:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Glock USA was thinking about making the 42 in 9x19, but then they asked the distributors what they should do. The distributors told them that mini/micro .380's sold like there is no tomorrow and that they needed to get into this market segment.

The rest is history.

If you want a small single stack 9x19, look elsewhere.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:06:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Glock 9mm and 10mms are awesome.  Everything else they makes is blah, or downright sucks.

I don't understand the obsession with Glock making a single stack 9mm.  The G42 and 36 are a pretty good example the fail that happens when try to do something other than a doublestack 9 or 10mm.

Glock did not invent reliable handguns, not do they have patent on it, nor do they make anything more reliable than their competition.
View Quote

You talk trash about the G21 and your tread on dangerous territory here.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:09:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Glock USA was thinking about making the 42 in 9x19, but then they asked the distributors what they should do. The distributors told them that mini/micro .380's sold like there is no tomorrow and that they needed to get into this market segment.

The rest is history.

If you want a small single stack 9x19, look elsewhere.
View Quote

Do those .380s really sell that well?  Why go .380 when you can have a much more capable round in a slightly bigger package?  Makes no sense.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:14:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Do those .380s really sell that well?  Why go .380 when you can have a much more capable round in a slightly bigger package?  Makes no sense.
View Quote

Yes, they sell the crap out of them.

Since late 2007, Ruger has made over 1,000,000 of the LCP alone.

Since late 2009, Ruger has made over 600,000 of the LC series (LC9/LC380/LC9s/LC9sPro).
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:16:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In a Glock tech forum of all things.....

I do not own a G42 but the amount I have seen sold and the amount of people who have zero issues far outweighs the bad.  Lots of 380s are finicky with 380 ammo being underpowered or just do not feed well that issue is not exclusively Glock that is 9mm Kurz for you.  Walther PPK PPK/s is just as or more picky on ammo.
Second to say the Glock only makes good 9mm and 10mm is a downright trolling comment.  Thousands of 40/357/45 users report 100% reliability, the G21/30 have near cult following, and you also have the 40 crowd still clinging to the best of both worlds .  Take your baseless comments elsewhere save that for Handgun discussion or GD.

Glock may not of invented reliable handguns but they set the standard for mass produced reliable handguns at a reasonable price that they kind of became the best selling pistols (not including cheap shit) and still hold more LEO contracts because they can make a cost effective and reliable pistol.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:20:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Since late 2009, Ruger has made over 600,000 of the LC series (LC9/LC380/LC9s/LC9sPro).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are inexpensive, work, and can be operated by a large amount of people .... not to mention concealed carry is constantly getting new people trying it out.  Lots of CC people want something small and are not as serious about the weapons and gear they carry that they carry 3 spare mags, a compact/fullsize 9 or bigger, weaponlight, 3 knives, 3 cell 1000lumen flashlight, wear armor, and have 1 millions rounds in reserve at home with 1K in the SHTF vehicle.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:26:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Really,  I  think the G42 has too many problems for CCW.  Seems to need an extended break in period. Finicky ammo plus that underpowered 380 ACP round. Come on thought SHot 2015 would bring relief.... Jeeshh
View Quote

That's all true; but, then again, ya got 'a be nutz to field a Glock without putting a good 250 - 300 rounds through it first.  (In the old days I've done as many as a thousand; but, then, after the higher serial numbered, 3rd generation pistols became less finicky and began to prove more reliable, I cut the break-in period down to less than 500 fired rounds.  So, ...... what happens?  Glock switched to their infamous BTF/MIM extractors; and the mysterious problems started all over again.)  

Until I read your post I thought it was only me!  Now I see I've got company.  The Glock Model 42 is a comparatively huge, blocky, difficult-to-conceal (like a normal 380), grossly underpowered pistol.  I remain mystified as to, 'Why' so many people seem to think this new Glock is the best thing since the invention of smokeless powder?  As far as I'm concerned it's just one more crappy plastic striker-fired pistol that the world truly doesn't need.  

I've, now, got three Glock pistols (two 21's, and one 19) that work very well - Flawlessly, in fact!  Out of the box none of them were reliable, though.  It took me a couple of years, and lots and lots of modifications and parts swaps before I was able to fire 10,000 + rounds through any of them without experiencing a serious stoppage.  

A single-stack 9 x 19mm Glock?  What, the hell, for!  Compared to the G-21, and G-30 (in any of their variations) the G-36 is already about as useful as, 'tits on a bull'.  Why do the same thing with 9mm?  

(It's a Glock thing!)
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:28:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They are inexpensive, work, and can be operated by a large amount of people .... not to mention concealed carry is constantly getting new people trying it out.  Lots of CC people want something small and are not as serious about the weapons and gear they carry that they carry 3 spare mags, a compact/fullsize 9 or bigger, weaponlight, 3 knives, 3 cell 1000lumen flashlight, wear armor, and have 1 millions rounds in reserve at home with 1K in the SHTF vehicle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey! What are you doing in my basement?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:39:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That's all true; but, then again, ya got 'a be nutz to field a Glock without putting a good 250 - 300 rounds through it first.  (In the old days I've done as many as a thousand; but, then, after the higher serial numbered, 3rd generation pistols became less finicky and began to prove more reliable, I cut the break-in period down to less than 500 fired rounds.  So, ...... what happens?  Glock switched to their infamous BTF/MIM extractors; and the mysterious problems started all over again.)  

Until I read your post I thought it was only me!  Now I see I've got company.  The Glock Model 42 is a comparatively huge, blocky, difficult-to-conceal (like a normal 380), grossly underpowered pistol.  I remain mystified as to, 'Why' so many people seem to think this new Glock is the best thing since the invention of smokeless powder?  As far as I'm concerned it's just one more crappy plastic striker-fired pistol that the world truly doesn't need.  

I've, now, got three Glock pistols (two 21's, and one 19) that work very well - Flawlessly, in fact!  Out of the box none of them were reliable, though.  It took me a couple of years, and lots and lots of modifications and parts swaps before I was able to fire 10,000 + rounds through any of them without experiencing a serious stoppage.  

A single-stack 9 x 19mm Glock?  What, the hell, for!  Compared to the G-21, and G-30 (in any of their variations) the G-36 is already about as useful as, 'tits on a bull'.  Why do the same thing with 9mm?  

(It's a Glock thing!)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(It's a Glock thing!)

Glock makes the 42 in .380 because they can sell the crap out of them, period. It doesn't matter what I think, it doesn't matter what the OP thinks. Most people who are looking for a CC handgun are NOT going to choose a G-19, let alone a G-20/21. I am not sure why the OP wants a single stack Glock in 9x19 because there are others in the market that fit this description. Maybe he just wants to own every Glock model available and wants it "just because"?

Over the last 7-8 years, many of the new people to CC think a mini/micro .380 w/o a spare magazine is just fine.  For a company like Glock, these people and their money are just as valid as my money, or the OP's.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:49:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Glock makes the 42 in .380 because they can sell the crap out of them, period. It doesn't matter what I think, it doesn't matter what the OP thinks. Most people who are looking for a CC handgun are NOT going to choose a G-19, let alone a G-20/21. I am not sure why the OP wants a single stack Glock in 9x19 because there are others in the market that fit this description. Maybe he just wants to own every Glock model available and wants it "just because"?

Over the last 7-8 years, many of the new people to CC think a mini/micro .380 w/o a spare magazine is just fine.  For a company like Glock, these people and their money are just as valid as my money, or the OP's.
View Quote

OK, thanks!  

Now I understand how Obama got elected:  Generally speaking, people don't know their buttocks from a hole in the ground, and don't have even the slightest clue about what's best for them.  

Got it!  
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:34:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

OK, thanks!  

Now I understand how Obama got elected:  Generally speaking, people don't know their buttocks from a hole in the ground, and don't have even the slightest clue about what's best for them.  

Got it!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

OK, thanks!  

Got it!  

Umm, you might be throwing that out there as sarcasm, but that sounds about right to me. Arfcom has what, 125,000 registered users? There's 15 million people with carry licenses nationwide. I'd wager 95% of them are carrying small, underpowered, cheap, single stack pistols. That's why that Ruger LCP has been the best seller at Bud's for years.

People ARE too dumb to make a good decision on what's best for them, but this is America and that's their right and freedom. It's also Glock's right to sell their pistol to the masses of tards and to try to make a buck. Freedom and Capitalism at work!

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:44:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Umm, you might be throwing that out there as sarcasm, but that sounds about right to me. Arfcom has what, 125,000 registered users? There's 15 million people with carry licenses nationwide. I'd wager 95% of them are carrying small, underpowered, cheap, single stack pistols. That's why that Ruger LCP has been the best seller at Bud's for years.

People ARE too dumb to make a good decision on what's best for them, but this is America and that's their right and freedom. It's also Glock's right to sell their pistol to the masses of tards and to try to make a buck. Freedom and Capitalism at work!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, thanks!  

Got it!  

Why does it matter to so many on here that some people carry 9mm Kurz?  Yes to you me and many others it is under powered, under performer, and well does not meet a standard we have in our minds.  How many here have shot another human being let alone another human being with with 9 Para and 9 Kurz and can honestly tell the truth performance difference in real life situations.  I bet that number is very small if not near zero.  If you could only carry a 9mm Kurz are you saying you would not carry it then because it under performs.  Many countries prohibit the carry of 9 Para because it is a mil caliber and 9 Kurz is the only choice they have.  You should be happy that the sheep carry anything at all.  I would rather have a friendly in the room slinging 9mm Kurz than nothing at all or throwing their shoe at a Tango.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 1:08:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 1:41:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Why does it matter to so many on here that some people carry 9mm Kurz?  Yes to you me and many others it is under powered, under performer, and well does not meet a standard we have in our minds.  How many here have shot another human being let alone another human being with with 9 Para and 9 Kurz and can honestly tell the truth performance difference in real life situations.  I bet that number is very small if not near zero.  If you could only carry a 9mm Kurz are you saying you would not carry it then because it under performs.  Many countries prohibit the carry of 9 Para because it is a mil caliber and 9 Kurz is the only choice they have.  You should be happy that the sheep carry anything at all.  I would rather have a friendly in the room slinging 9mm Kurz than nothing at all or throwing their shoe at a Tango.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, thanks!  

Got it!  

+1
If every single law abiding person in the US carried naught but a G42 that they were halfway competent with we'd still be far better off than almost everyone going about unarmed. Statistics will tell you that a G42 or J frame will get you out of most SD situations in the unlikely event you find yourself in one. This site is for enthusiasts that generally don't accept the bare minimum as adequate for their purposes. Besides, 380 with the current top performing loads really isn't too bad.

Finally, the G42 shoots way easier than similar sized 9x19 pistols. IMO tiny, micro 9mms aren't for inexperienced shooters. A pistol like the G42 is a good choice for an easy shooter that's also easy to carry. For the record I don't own a G42, G19 FTW.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 2:08:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, thanks!  

Got it!  

+1
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 2:10:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I am a 9 guy with a 19, 34 and on the way 17.

Normally I carry the 42 and trust my and my families lives on it. Not the most powerful handgun out there but tiny, easy to conceal and shoots like a dream. No issues at all in over 400 rounds including a GSSF match.

Craig
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 2:40:43 PM EDT
[#18]
I bought my wife one and grabbed the first box of 380 I could for her to break it in.  

have ran every cheap American and non American brand of 380 through it I could and not one hiccup.

Fist sized groups off hand at 40-45 feet and she conceals it and carries it much better than her 26.

I didn't want to like it and still think a 9 needs to be made but the gun is GTG IMHO
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 2:59:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It doesn't matter to me what anyone carries. I thought my post was rather impartial. Yes, a 7rd sub-compact is better than stern words and purse slinging, but it's not for me.

I didn't say anything about what I carry, I just broke down the actual causes behind why the G42 exists, and why they're disappearing off shelves like they are, even if the whiners on Arfcom wanted a 9mm. That's all.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 3:08:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It doesn't matter to me what anyone carries. I thought my post was rather impartial. Yes, a 7rd sub-compact is better than stern words and purse slinging, but it's not for me.

I didn't say anything about what I carry, I just broke down the actual causes behind why the G42 exists, and why they're disappearing off shelves like they are, even if the whiners on Arfcom wanted a 9mm. That's all.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really directed at you more just following that conversation line......
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 4:29:49 PM EDT
[#21]
I wonder if the OP owns a G42?  If not, from what perspective is his bashing?    

I have purchased 3.  

I also have a G26, 2 G19s and a number of other firearms.  

Our G42s function well and get the job done.  

Several women in my life love them and don't want to carry anything else.  I'm happy they have them and that it was available for them.  

There is no 'one' right, one size fits all anything ...

G42 is one of the tools in my family's tool box and does a job other tools don't.  

YMMV
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 4:46:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My desktop pic on this computer is a Gen4 21.  Easy pistol to shoot and accurate.  Too big for me, but a good gun.  I'm not a Glock hater.  The only pistols I own are three 19s and a 26.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:46:51 PM EDT
[#23]
I dry fired a Kahr CM9 and think that is the way to go for me.
If it fits you better the sig 290RS is really nice.  My finger wants to hit the grip and causes extra resistance if I don't put finger pad on trigger of 290RS.
I really like the feel of CM9 with extended mag and little spacer on bottom to use in CM9.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:58:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Making a small 9mm single stack that is duty capable and very small is nigh impossible.  If Glock makes one it isn't going to be as small as a 42.  It'll probably be the size of a 26 just thinner.  Think 30 vs 36.   At that rate might as well just have the 26.

Always carry a +2 baseplate reload with a 42 that gives me 15 rounds of .380. Arguably just as good as 11 9mm.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 7:46:17 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a 42 that gives me a few hiccups from time-to-time. I think it's a "me" issue, when I don't hold it quite right it can act up.  The failure rate is very minor, and its certainly goes bang way more than it doesn't. I'd buy it again.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:12:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have a 42 that gives me a few hiccups from time-to-time. I think it's a "me" issue, when I don't hold it quite right it can act up.  The failure rate is very minor, and its certainly goes bang way more than it doesn't. I'd buy it again.
View Quote

Limp wristing or to small to grip.  I had a LC9 I could not hold on to because it was to small with my dinner plates for hands and I could make it malfunction by just holding it wrong.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:40:34 PM EDT
[#27]
In 600 rounds so far my 42 has had one failure - a stovepipe with "HPJ" ammo - the ammo seemed really weak and I don't know much about it.  With Hydra-shok, Remington and Fiochi ball it has run fine.  Accurate too.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:46:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, thanks!  

Got it!  

+1000 - Holy heck folks.  As a primary carry gun the 42 does not really make sense.   OTOH, if you want a pocket pistol the G42 is pretty good.   There aren't a whole lot of good 9x19 pocket pistols out there.   Plenty of people pocket carry 5 rounds .38 in a J frame.  Not sure why 7 rounds of .380 you can hit easily with is so bad.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:23:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Love my G42. It's my lazy carry gun.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:22:52 AM EDT
[#30]
For every one who thinks that the .380 is underpowered, would you volunteer to be shot with one

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:14:49 AM EDT
[#31]
I'd rather have my Glock 42 with me as to have a larger gun left in a vehicle or at home.  I only carry my 42 in what I consider low risk situations.  Age,demographics and locale affect how appropriate a particular weapon is to the user in a given situation.  Seat belts work if they are used, race car drivers use helmets, Hans devices  and fire suits because they have a great propensity to be in a high speed crash.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:21:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
For every one who thinks that the .380 is underpowered, would you volunteer to be shot with one

View Quote

Well, I'm a G42 defender but of course this is the wrong argument.   I don't want to get shot with .22 short, doesn't make .22 short a good defensive round.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:59:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Would you volunteer to be hosed down with a super soaker full of fermented urine? No? Must be a good choice for self defense then!

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:25:28 PM EDT
[#34]
I thought the Glock 42 was stupid too until I tried one. I am planning to eventually trade my j frame for one. When I played with one, I was able to mag dump the G42 twice as fast and twice as accurately as I could "cylinder dump" the j-frame.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:28:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I thought the Glock 42 was stupid too until I tried one. I am planning to eventually trade my j frame for one. When I played with one, I was able to mag dump the G42 twice as fast and twice as accurately as I could "cylinder dump" the j-frame.
View Quote

Yeah that is kind of the right comparison, I experienced the same thing.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 1:53:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Mine will occasionally fail to lock back on an empty mag when I am using weak FMJ.  With my carry ammo, I have had no problems.

The accuracy is great, and it shoots fast.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 7:21:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Well, I'm a G42 defender but of course this is the wrong argument.   I don't want to get shot with .22 short, doesn't make .22 short a good defensive round.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If a .22 short was all you had with you in a life or death situation, would you use it? If so, at that time it would be the best defense round in the world.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 7:23:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Would you volunteer to be hosed down with a super soaker full of fermented urine? No? Must be a good choice for self defense then!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I may like fermented urine.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 8:56:33 AM EDT
[#39]
My wife has the 42 and has worked flawlessly.
For those that need to carry something smaller to fit their hands the 42 works great and the felt recoil is no where near as bad as other .380s like the LCP.
My only issue with the 42 is that my thumb tends to hit the mag release at times.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 8:58:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What about mixed with feces.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 4:16:37 PM EDT
[#41]
I have had 0 problems with my G42.
The trigger is too heavy but I received a shipping notice from Ghost today on my new G42 connector, so hopefully that will lighten it some.
Other than the heavy trigger, I've not had one issue feeding cheap .380 or Federal Hydra Shoks.

Dave N
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:54:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I have had 0 problems with my G42.
The trigger is too heavy but I received a shipping notice from Ghost today on my new G42 connector, so hopefully that will lighten it some.
Other than the heavy trigger, I've not had one issue feeding cheap .380 or Federal Hydra Shoks.

Dave N
View Quote

Please let us know how you like the Ghost connector. I might need to buy 2 of them.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:50:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

If a .22 short was all you had with you in a life or death situation, would you use it? If so, at that time it would be the best defense round in the world.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes I would use it.  Yes, at that time it would be the best defensive round in the world.  What does this hypothetical situation have to do with whether .380 is a good defensive caliber?? The whole thread assumes you have a choice - I like the G42 - but all things being equal I'd prefer a Browning M2.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:27:08 AM EDT
[#44]
The .380 with modern "performance ammo" (Hornady Critical Defense) does a very respectable job in terminal performance.

If you shoot the little gun well, and you don't mind the limited magazine capacity, its a well-made gun.
No reason to dislike it.

In the meantime, I still say the G26 offers a good bit more in a tiny package.

G26 (even with extended magazine!) smaller than a 5-shot J-Frame.

"full size" Glock 22 (Fo-Tay!!!) a lot smaller than a 4-inch revolver

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:50:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:26:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Glock now on a "third generation" of the G42?

http://looserounds.com/2014/05/10/glock-appears-to-have-made-changes-to-the-g42/
View Quote

That particular post is almost a year old.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:02:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Gen 4.5.3 now?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top