Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/22/2015 11:50:11 PM EDT
So after significant research (boring) and range time with friends' guns (fun) I've decided to go with a Glock 19 as my first handgun after I graduate college.  I've always shot for fun, but I'd like to have this as a nightstand gun.  Other than practice, some training courses, and more practice, I'd like to have a weapon light.  I'm looking at the Inforce APL, but I'd like to get some feedback from you guys with experience.  Trijicons look like the way to go for night sights but what are your guys' thoughts on the APL? Any other recommendations?  Thanks a bunch guys!
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:58:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Hard to beat Trijicon night sights.   I run a streamlight TLR1 HL on my g19 at home.  Quite happy with it and its very bright at 600 lumins.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 12:05:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I like factory NS and the Surefire X300
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 12:10:51 AM EDT
[#3]
The APL is nice, I've owned one.  But out of the top 3 lights, that is to say the Streamlight TLR-1, the Inforce APL, and the Surefire X300U, I'll take the X300 every time.  In fact my nightstand/carry gun is a G19 with Trijicon HD sights and an X300.  They're expensive, at just over $200 a pop, but you will never be wanting for more.  This is one of those "buy once, cry once" scenarios.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 11:26:27 AM EDT
[#4]
If 3 dot is what you want Trijicon Meprolight either is good to go.  I prefer a 2 dot straight 8 sight Heinie Slant Pro.
Another good option for weapons light is Streamlight TLR-1.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 11:55:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I shoot at night a lot.  I have put right at 1K downrange this month in low/no light conditions with a Glock 19/X300U.

Advice:

-Save your money on the night sights.  They're pointless.  I use the stock plastic sights with no perceived disadvantage.  The last low/no light training I did was with a Glock 19/X300 with Ameriglo Defoors (black on black sights).  No problems.

-Do buy an X300U.  Hands down best pistol light I've ever used.  Love it.  Worthwhile upgrade from the X300.

-Buy more ammo.  Shooting at night is fun.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 12:06:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I shoot at night a lot.  I have put right at 1K downrange this month in low/no light conditions with a Glock 19/X300U.

Advice:

-Save your money on the night sights.  They're pointless.  I use the stock plastic sights with no perceived disadvantage.  The last low/no light training I did was with a Glock 19/X300 with Ameriglo Defoors (black on black sights).  No problems.

-Do buy an X300U.  Hands down best pistol light I've ever used.  Love it.  Worthwhile upgrade from the X300.

View Quote

Night sights are pointless? Hmm. I hope your weapon light never goes out.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 12:08:51 PM EDT
[#7]
X400. Lasers work well as communication tools.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 12:22:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Advice:

Can't speak for him but with the light on, sights (and night sights) are nothing but black outlines. Stock, night sights, fiber optic or anything else. I personally have night sights on a few of my guns and guns with no light attached.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 12:53:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I've heard several people say that night sights are pointless. I have not found that to be the case. I do lots of shooting at night time.  Mainly shooting critters that are in the yard and getting into my trash. There is enough light to see them, but I might be in the dark and can't see normal iron sights. Like the sights on my AK are impossible to pick up in those conditions. Night sights work very well for me and other than the cost, there is like zero downside to them.

Trijicon HDs are nice.

I like the APL. I like the a Surefire x300 with a DG switch better.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 1:11:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all of the advice guys!  Seems like the X300 and TLRs are more popular, and it's tough to argue with a good track record.  These lights stick out a bit it seems, does it change the balance of the gun at all and did you guys need any getting used to it?  I've never shot with lights so I apologize if it's a silly question.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 1:35:14 PM EDT
[#11]
300U + Glock Night Sights. That is all you need for a nightstand gun. Don't listen to anyone telling you that you don't want Tritium on a nightstand gun. Batteries die, you may not want to give away your position, etc. $50 is easy insurance when you are going to spend another $200 on a light.

If you are going to ever carry it, just get the Inforce APL. 300U is crazy on a carry 19, you might as well carry a 34 at that point, the light is so long.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 1:36:18 PM EDT
[#12]
My 19 home defense model is simple. Night sites, premium ammo and a flashlight. Once the Jack Russell goes into full alert mode its on....One party grabs cell phone and the dog, other party grabs 19, spare mags and flashlight. We make it to the closet and dig in. One calls and while the other upgrades weapons choices. At this point, Wife no has flock and j frame revolver. I have an AR and ammo. The dogs are pissed because they got kicked out of bed. Everyone is coming out fighting while the 911 tape rolls.

The old dogs is missing a few teeth and had nothing to loose. The wife is pissed because she had a hair appointment in the morning and looks like shit. I work third shift and suffer from sleep deprivation. We are going t make an example of whomever kicked in the wrong front door.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 1:47:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks for all of the advice guys!  Seems like the X300 and TLRs are more popular, and it's tough to argue with a good track record.  These lights stick out a bit it seems, does it change the balance of the gun at all and did you guys need any getting used to it?  I've never shot with lights so I apologize if it's a silly question.
View Quote

If anything, you'll notice less recoil since their is more weight on the front of the gun.  And you do want night sights.  Sure, they do nothing when your bright-ass white light is on, but if you're using your light correctly, you'll only be throwing short bursts of light anyway.  Night sights allow you to know exactly what your sights are doing BETWEEN those bursts of light.  They're also excellent in partial light for where you can see your target but you struggle to pick up plain sights.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 3:23:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
300U + Glock Night Sights. That is all you need for a nightstand gun. Don't listen to anyone telling you that you don't want Tritium on a nightstand gun. Batteries die, you may not want to give away your position, etc. $50 is easy insurance when you are going to spend another $200 on a light.

If you are going to ever carry it, just get the Inforce APL. 300U is crazy on a carry 19, you might as well carry a 34 at that point, the light is so long.
View Quote

The APL does shine in the role of a CCW with a weapon light attached. Adds no width and very little length to the 19.

Pics for comparison:

This is the x300, not the x300U. It is longer than the 300.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 5:11:37 PM EDT
[#15]
The 19 is a great first choice for a handgun, why are you dedicating it as a nightstand gun instead of a carry gun?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 6:03:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The 19 is a great first choice for a handgun, why are you dedicating it as a nightstand gun instead of a carry gun?

View Quote

I didn't plan on carrying quite yet, that opinion may change, but I'm getting the 19 not because of its carry-ability but simply because it fits my hands best.  I originally looked at a Glock 17 and M&P 9, so you can see I had full sized in mind.  The 17 was a bit big and my friend recommended I try his 19, which I loved, so I made up my mind.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 6:49:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I didn't plan on carrying quite yet, that opinion may change, but I'm getting the 19 not because of its carry-ability but simply because it fits my hands best.  I originally looked at a Glock 17 and M&P 9, so you can see I had full sized in mind.  The 17 was a bit big and my friend recommended I try his 19, which I loved, so I made up my mind.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not criticizing your choice in the least, the 19 is an awesome pistol, tough to beat. However for competition and HD the 34 does offer a real advantage with it's longer sight radius.
ETA: If it's going to be your only handgun or if it's going to be awhile before you get another the 19 is the perfect choice. It's also a perfect choice for concealed carry, maybe later take another look at a 34 for the nightstand. Until then enjoy the Hell out of that 19, Mepros and a TLR-1 should cost around $200. Make sure you familiarize yourself well with working the switch so you're not fumbling if things get serious.

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:29:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Trijicon HDs and APL
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 9:14:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Gen 3 Glock 19
G18 33rd mag
Streamlight TRL-1
Crimson Trace

I've actually had to use in night robbery situation. Worked out best case scenario.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 9:28:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Mine has factory Meprolights and a X200 with a DG grip switch. The wife decided it is her's now.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 9:51:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Night sights are essential on all carry guns.  They add capability from no light to full light with and without a weapon mounted light.  Don't go without them.  I like the relatively inexpensive meprolights.  On the light, the X300 Ultra is hard to beat for the best combination of throw and spill.  

I pass on lasers except for my NVG capable gear.  For all but the most experienced shooters, visible lasers are demonstrably slower than using the sights and add a failure mode that can cost you lots of time in uncertain conditions (eg. batt failures, lighting conditions, etc).  It really isn't possible to solve a software problem with hardware like a laser.  Practice the fundamentals until they are reflexive and then upgrade hardware if you feel a gap.  Sight alignment and trigger control are the key to fast, excellent shot placement.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 9:55:44 PM EDT
[#22]
G19
Trijicon HD's

TLR-1

AAC tirant verrrrrry soon

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 1:41:35 AM EDT
[#23]

Ameri-glo I dot Pro night sights and an Inforce APL.

I own a Surefire X300u and I dislike it A LOT on hand guns but it is ok on my AR. For me the APL is just MUCH easier to turn on/off than the surefire.

I carry this OWB pretty often between late fall and early spring. Once it gets warm I will carry the g19 without a light in a Harwell protuck holster.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 2:33:16 AM EDT
[#24]
No problem if you like the G19 grip better, but go for some 17rd mags (15 & +2 baseplate) or larger.

I like trij HDs, they work well in all conditions: action based competition w/ lots of light, medium light, HD in low light, fast/flash shooting, more precise shooting (combat, not bulleye standards), one hand slide manipulation, and steel so they wont rub away
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 6:27:25 AM EDT
[#25]
I've had my Glock 19.3 with Meprolight night sights and SureFire X300 with pressure switch for a few years now.  It's my nightstand gun.  It is fun to shoot and very accurate if I do my part.  Only can use 10 round mags but I have a couple spare mags around.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:00:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Yeah the 19 was a good choice for an all around gun since I probably won't be buying another for a while.  Anyone experience an APL flying off? Heard that was fixed with the Gen 2 but just curious.  Thanks again for all the insight.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:10:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Hard to beat Trijicon night sights.   I run a streamlight TLR1 HL on my g19 at home.  Quite happy with it and its very bright at 600 lumins.
View Quote

As usual, first post nailed it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:24:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yeah the 19 was a good choice for an all around gun since I probably won't be buying another for a while.  Anyone experience an APL flying off? Heard that was fixed with the Gen 2 but just curious.  Thanks again for all the insight.
View Quote

The first ones were neat in how that attached because they were quick on and off. I have one. Downside is that they can indeed come loose while firing. I had this happen once while attached to my MK25. The new ones use a completely different attachment method. No longer quick on and off, but should not have a problem with it coming off.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 1:00:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Advice:

I prolly have about 10K rounds downrange with carbines and handguns with a surefire and haven't had one fail me yet.  If I can't see the target, I'm not shooting, night sights or not.

Night sights do have some advantages, albeit very small and hardly ever in a home setting.  They do good around street lights and flashing lights, also from firing from a dark area into some lit areas.  Nothing I could think of legitimately doing in an HD situation.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:46:40 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I prolly have about 10K rounds downrange with carbines and handguns with a surefire and haven't had one fail me yet.  If I can't see the target, I'm not shooting, night sights or not.

Night sights do have some advantages, albeit very small and hardly ever in a home setting.  They do good around street lights and flashing lights, also from firing from a dark area into some lit areas.  Nothing I could think of legitimately doing in an HD situation.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Advice:

Exactly. If you're trying to decide between spending money on a light OR night sights, I'd go light every time.

If you're not worried about the extra $60-$120, night sights can also help in the right circumstances. Once that light comes on though, they turn into black bumps on top of the pistol. Not to mention, if it's dark enough to see the glow of night sights, it's dark enough that you need to turn that light on for target identification, thereby negating your ability to see the little green dots.

All that said, out of the 5 guns I've carried in the last 6 years, 3 of them had night sights. One pair was dead, one pair was dull from the factory, and the other is only a few years old but not really bright these days.

Hope this helps.

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:49:11 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a TLR1S on my nightstand Glock 19 and a TLR3 on my carry 19.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 1:51:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Advice:

View Quote

Kinda this... I put Warren Tactical plain black rear/night sight fronts on all of my Glocks.  The front NS is enough in low light, the big white ring out front and black rears is great for daytime, once you turn your light on all you see is the silhouette anyway.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:08:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is a good way to go.  Trijicons are nice too.  Not a big stream light fan, but they have worked well for others.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:13:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Personally I use night sights only inside my home. I know the layout, an intruder probably won't. I can peek my head around a doorway using my night sights without giving my position away.

Try doing that with your light turned on.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:19:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

What he said..
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:25:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Get (all) both! G19 for CCW, G17 for nightstand duty and a G34 for range/competition.

Seriously, though... For a 1 gun solution, the G19 is hard to beat. I have several. The one hidden on the main level of my house (not quite "nightstand", but close) wears an Inforce APL and 10-8 fiber front, plain black rear sights. Works great in all sorts of lighting conditions, especially with the weapon light.

I don't bother to run night sights on any of my pistols anymore, but I do own way more weapon lights than I used to.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 4:15:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Get (all) both! G19 for CCW, G17 for nightstand duty and a G34 for range/competition.

Seriously, though... For a 1 gun solution, the G19 is hard to beat. I have several. The one hidden on the main level of my house (not quite "nightstand", but close) wears an Inforce APL and 10-8 fiber front, plain black rear sights. Works great in all sorts of lighting conditions, especially with the weapon light.

I don't bother to run night sights on any of my pistols anymore, but I do own way more weapon lights than I used to.
View Quote

Have you ran the 19 with the APL a lot at the range?  I like that it seems to be a smaller package, but it just doesn't seem to have the track record of the TLR1.  I wouldn't want it to fly off after a few rounds, rather go with quality over looks.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 7:03:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Have you ran the 19 with the APL a lot at the range?  I like that it seems to be a smaller package, but it just doesn't seem to have the track record of the TLR1.  I wouldn't want it to fly off after a few rounds, rather go with quality over looks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The new ones with the screw mount won't fly off.  But the X300 is just so much more rugged and can take such a ridiculous beating.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 9:23:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Night sights are an important upgrade. Flash lights can fail because they depend on batteries. Not all low light situations prevent you from seeing your target and anything that makes your sights quicker to acquire is an advantage.

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:51:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Aside from cost, I really can't think of very many good reasons why not to have night sights on a defensive pistol.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 8:39:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Trijicons and an Insight M3 here
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:10:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The screw mount APL is not going to come off.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 2:01:53 PM EDT
[#43]
I've got Meprolight night sights on my G17, along with a TLR-1s. Love the combination. Mepros are a good quality night sight set for a reasonable price...
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 2:14:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 2:26:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

This but I my next set of trijicons will be the HD version with the orange or bright neon green front.  

The TLR1 HL is hard to beat for value and performance.  

I think the Inforce APK has had tendency to not fit tight enough on some guns and even come off during strings of fire.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 3:23:43 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Have you ran the 19 with the APL a lot at the range? I like that it seems to be a smaller package, but it just doesn't seem to have the track record of the TLR1. I wouldn't want it to fly off after a few rounds, rather go with quality over looks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Have you ran the 19 with the APL a lot at the range? I like that it seems to be a smaller package, but it just doesn't seem to have the track record of the TLR1. I wouldn't want it to fly off after a few rounds, rather go with quality over looks.

I have run it a bit at the range. It's never popped off the G19 during live fire. I think a lot of the early issues were with rails other than Glocks, but, as has been said multiple times, the new screw-mount ones aren't going anywhere.

My actual nightstand gun is a Gen 4 G17 with a TLR-1s (also with 10-8 FO front and black rear sights).
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 4:27:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Trijicon HD night sights, Surefire X300, is how mine is set up. A Glock 17 magazine with an Arredondo +3 is in it.
View Quote

My setup.  Minus the mag extension.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 4:43:04 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
This but I my next set of trijicons will be the HD version with the orange or bright neon green front.  

I think the Inforce APK has had tendency to not fit tight enough on some guns and even come off during strings of fire.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Get the orange instead of the yellow front for the HD's. I shoot outside and sometimes the yellow would get lost in the vegetation. The orange works much better, for me anyway.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 4:58:56 PM EDT
[#49]
I use a 17 for home defense with trijicon green/green and a TLR1 light.  I would recommend some form of sight upgrade from the plastics and advise on some form of light on the nightstand, an attached has its advantages in allowing both hands properly on the pistol and/or available for manipulation.

I would disagree with almost everybody in this thread and say that SIGHTS are priority one, for a few reasons:  First, the factory plastics are simply garbage and need to be changed.  Also, you can use some flash light you already have for lighting, although as I said above I think an attached light offers advantages.  But most importantly, the sights are going to be with it in ALL scenarios.  When you take the light off for whatever reason, maybe to carry, you still have the sights.

I also recommend AGAINST the sights I am using.  I think a more pronounced front sight and LESS pronounced rear sight (whether just black, or less pronounced glow) such as HDs, XS, or Heine is much better than a standard 3 dot.  My eyes tend to gravitate to the rear dots when all 3 dots are EQUAL size and brightness (being closer to my eyes).  When I use something like a Big Dot (or HD, or take your pick) like on my G19 my eyes go right to the front, no conscious refocuse is needed.

Its the type of things you won't know for sure what works for you until you are a few years into things.  But a G19 WITH a good set of sights is a PHENOMINAL choice for a first pistol for ANY use.  I wish I had made that decision to start with years ago.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 6:09:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I use a 17 for home defense with trijicon green/green and a TLR1 light.  I would recommend some form of sight upgrade from the plastics and advise on some form of light on the nightstand, an attached has its advantages in allowing both hands properly on the pistol and/or available for manipulation.

I would disagree with almost everybody in this thread and say that SIGHTS are priority one, for a few reasons:  First, the factory plastics are simply garbage and need to be changed.  Also, you can use some flash light you already have for lighting, although as I said above I think an attached light offers advantages.  But most importantly, the sights are going to be with it in ALL scenarios.  When you take the light off for whatever reason, maybe to carry, you still have the sights.

I also recommend AGAINST the sights I am using.  I think a more pronounced front sight and LESS pronounced rear sight (whether just black, or less pronounced glow) such as HDs, XS, or Heine is much better than a standard 3 dot.  My eyes tend to gravitate to the rear dots when all 3 dots are EQUAL size and brightness (being closer to my eyes).  When I use something like a Big Dot (or HD, or take your pick) like on my G19 my eyes go right to the front, no conscious refocuse is needed.

Its the type of things you won't know for sure what works for you until you are a few years into things.  But a G19 WITH a good set of sights is a PHENOMINAL choice for a first pistol for ANY use.  I wish I had made that decision to start with years ago.
View Quote

The stock sights aren't ideal but are far from garbage. I have some I've used for many years with no issues, though I will certainly agree that replacing them with more durable and preferably illuminated sights is preferred. In my case a light is much more useful since target identification is a must, especially with multiple other residents in the house. For my wife the light (an older X200 with the diamond shaped pattern to the beam) also serves as a rudimentary "laser". All she has to do is grab the gun, activate the light with the grip pressure pad and point the gun/light at the possible threat. Once she determines the target is indeed a threat, using the light, she can engage. Very simple.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top