Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2015 2:43:00 PM EDT
Pulling all three frame pins and slide disassembly for cleaning?
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 2:53:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I have owned my about year and have never completely stripped it out. I need to find some good videos showing complete dis-assembly and reassembly.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 2:58:49 PM EDT
[#2]
maybe once a year depending on amount of use
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:39:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm a bit ocd when it comes to cleaning. I completely strip and clean every time I return from the range.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:40:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm a bit ocd when it comes to cleaning. I completely strip and clean every time I return from the range.
View Quote

Why?
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:40:50 PM EDT
[#5]
When it looks like I grease my pistol with black grease, I am changing a part, or it is bought used.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:55:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Why?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why?
I enjoy it, and although I know it isn't necessary it gives me piece of mind.  

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:47:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Once a year as it allows me to inspect everything and potentially identify any worn parts and replace them.  I feel that this is important for something that is potentially life saving equipment.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:55:23 PM EDT
[#8]
At 5000 rounds (roughly) when I replace the RSA.

I do it anytime I pick up a used gun just to check things out for piece of mind.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:59:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

My first reaction when I read this was, "What the heck?"

Then I read your later remark and I thought, "Hey, it's his handgun and whatever it takes to give him more confidence in it operating in a moment where it will be used to defend his life or the lives of others, more power to him."

Clean away!
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:22:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Once a year for my carry gun.  Lately that's been late summer after returning from the beach / salty environment.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:30:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote
I just read the "frame pin" part.  I don't do that.  Just everything else.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:34:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Honestly you can shoot and care for a glock without detail stripping the frame literally for decades!
Routine care to keep a glock running never really requires detail stripping.
Some like to do it but it doesn't really add to the reliability of the platform.
I will agree stripping the slide every 5000 rounds or so is not a bad idea.
I run mostly cast lead bullets in mine ( yes you can do it safely in the factory barrel!) so mine gets pretty dirty.
I run about 5k cast lead a year through my glock and in the decade or so I have had it reliability has been maintained just fine with zero frame strips.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 6:21:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Never.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 7:23:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I strip them down constantly because I enjoy it, it's relaxing to me and it's so crazy easy with Glock. I enjoy having a hands on knowledge of the innards and it makes me feel good when they go back in the safe and I know they are clean and lubed. but I absolutely agree that it's completely unnecessary in most cases and not just for Glocks. Shooting should be fun and that takes all different forms for people.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 8:02:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Never . I will field strip once in a while . As long as it runs and is not disgusting I keep shooting it
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 8:16:01 PM EDT
[#16]
I detail strip the slide every few cleanings,I only strip the frame for parts replacements.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:11:48 PM EDT
[#17]
My suppressed 19 gets pretty dirty after a thousand rounds. Pretty easy to clean it when completely dissembled.

It is easy to do, but I don't want loosen up the parts fitting by overdoing it on my carry 19
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:24:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Upon purchase of a used one; full strip, clean inspect and R&R.  Alter that it depends on use.  Carry G19 maybe 2-4 times a year (Florida and sweat really makes them nasty plus I shoot it often for practice, maybe 1,000 rounds+ a year).  I have some though that haven't been pulled down in 10 or more years.  I carry one in a book bag and I hadn't detail stripped and cleaned it in probably 4 years and just did recently.  Didn't need to but I was feeling like it should be checked over.

One thing I do before I put one back in "service" is run a couple of magazines through for a function check.  I just don't feel comfortable until I do this after a detail cleaning.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:10:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
maybe once a year depending on amount of use
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:22:25 PM EDT
[#20]
When it starts to stink like cat piss from cheap ammo... I strip it down and wash it in the sink then relube and put it back together!

- Clint
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 12:00:33 AM EDT
[#21]
I think I only really take out all the pins when I'm swapping parts like the slide stop.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 4:13:03 AM EDT
[#22]
I hardly ever detail strip my Glock pistols.  Never needed to in regards to cleaning.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 11:03:27 AM EDT
[#23]
My G20sf has had over 6k rounds put down range and it has never been 'completely' stripped.  It does get the slide removed and a 'top end' cleaning but other wise, no complete stripping and cleaning.  My new G21G4 has had over 600 rounds sent down range and the only thing that has been cleaned is the barrel.  None of our Glocks have been 'completely' stripped down, unless I am changing/upgrading parts.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 12:03:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Once every year or two I'll get bored and just feel like detail stripping a couple of mine.  I don't do it on any set schedule or feel that it is necessary to do it ever, honestly.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 12:16:36 PM EDT
[#25]
I have never pulled those pins out. I will break down the slide once every 500 rounds or so and oil the slide internals along with a basic field strip. Im not sure I even know how to go about breaking the frame down
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 1:51:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 2:55:21 PM EDT
[#27]
The only Glock we have now is my wife's 19. I have been taking care of it for her since Nov. of 2004.  Its smooth as glass and back in 2012 I resprung the gun and it shoots even better now.  Ive had people rack the slide and shoot it and say its the smoothest Glock they have ever had the pleasure of shooting and handling.   HOW?????

Every Glock we have gotten Has went like this. Lube it really good out of the box DO NOT REMOVE COPPER COLORED LUBE ON SLIDE. Shoot 500 rounds of various ammo. No problems Change sights to Triicon night sights and shoot another 100.
If no issues completely strip. Then wash ALL plastic parts in dish detergent and water in the sink using old tooth brush (Magazines and all mag parts except springs). Metal parts go into tin to be submerged in Break free for about an hour. Then dry all plastic parts and allow to air dry. Metal parts get scrubbed and cleaned then sprayed with gun scrubber. Then cleaned of that then reoiled and wiped down.  Plastic parts get inspected again and then all parts reassembled. Now reassemble slide barrel and frame and lube per manual.

DO the above once every year if shooting 2500 rounds or more per year. Anymore than 2500 rounds per year then its up to you. Thats 200 rounds per month roughly.   Pick a time frame Christmas New years maybe a holiday where you do nothing but eat a lot and pass out, say like thanksgiving. I do it every July 4th because me the wife and son go shooting every year on that day. Makes a good time to strip and clean.

The wife barely shoots the 19 anymore. The last time I was fully taken down was in 2012 when I did the respring and put in a new set of spring cups and channel liner. The gun was filthy she shot probably 4000 rounds through that gun in a year. Since the gun has less than 500 rds. fired through it since 2012.

Those of you you have shot 5000 or 6000 or more rounds through your gun and have never done this. DO it  THE SHIT in the gun will amaze you especially the firing pin channel.

DO NOT USE a bore brush in the  firing pin channel it can pull out the channel liner and crack or damage it. use q tips and lots of lube.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 4:40:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have owned my about year and have never completely stripped it out. I need to find some good videos showing complete dis-assembly and reassembly.
View Quote

It's very easy......I think it would be hard to screw up, but be carful, pay attention & keep everything neat
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 4:44:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It's very easy......I think it would be hard to screw up, but be carful, pay attention & keep everything neat
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, Glocks are the easiest guns out there to disassemble/reassemble IMO.  The only things that really require any special attention are making sure to put the trigger spring in with the correct orientation, correctly installing the slide stop on a 3-pin frame (spring under the top pin, not over), and not lubricating the striker channel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top