Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2014 4:54:50 PM EDT
Went to one side of the family Christmas today and was told to bring my 34 by my uncle.

Turns out my uncle has been looking for a 34 but hasn't been able to source one in his area. Wednesday he bought a FDE Gen4 17.....

Well one thing led to another and I now have a new Gen4 FDE 17 + $100 and my uncle now has my 34.

Two factors made me make the trade - 1.) IWB carry is much easier with a 17 than a 34 (muzzle hits my wallet) and 2.) FDE is neat.

He said if he can't shoot it well, I can come get it back (1hr drive away) and he will just continue to hang onto my spare 1187 he has had for 2 years.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:06:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't believe you, and require photographic evidence.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:03:00 PM EDT
[#2]
FDEs are amazing looking guns.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:12:34 PM EDT
[#3]
DSC_3239.JPG by The Dorsal Fin, on Flickr

with its little bro

DSC_5275 by The Dorsal Fin, on Flickr

with its 9mm brethren

DSC_5276 by The Dorsal Fin, on Flickr
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:15:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice.

The 17 is my fav.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:19:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got 600 rounds ready for tonight's range session after I drop off the wife at the Garth Brooks Christmas concert here in town.

Will be cherry popping time for both the 17 and 226
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 7:04:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice. Your pics come out great too. Quality camera.

I have no fde glock, and dont need one ( i already have 7) but for some reason i want one. Oh well.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 7:09:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have no fde glock, and dont need one ( i already have 7) but for some reason i want one. Oh well.
View Quote

It's actually a cheaper dslr - nikon D3100. Key is lighting, tripod, and a lens. Used a tripod, soft light under a window, and a Amazon special nikkor af-s 1.8/f lens.

For every decent pic there are many crappy ones
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 7:20:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It's actually a cheaper dslr - nikon D3100. Key is lighting, tripod, and a lens. Used a tripod, soft light under a window, and a Amazon special nikkor af-s 1.8/f lens.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL.....i can just hear my wife now......."I dont understand why you have to take pictures of your guns like that."  

She already questions why I would take pics of guns with my iphone.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 7:34:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

LOL.....i can just hear my wife now......."I dont understand why you have to take pictures of your guns like that."  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mrs. Finslayer rolls her eyes when I get the tripod out.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 7:39:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Nicke pickup Fin...looks like it's time for another G34 now...

vicious cycle and all...
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 7:53:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:08:28 PM EDT
[#12]
17 is a hellava weapon
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:23:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice! I love 17s, they just feel so right. I currently have 4 and am looking at a 5th.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:52:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This.

And a G26

HTR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nicke pickup Fin...looks like it's time for another G34 now...

vicious cycle and all...

This.

And a G26

HTR.

Nice pistol also a 17L to round out the collection.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:05:08 PM EDT
[#15]
By the time I was able to get to the range this evening, there was only 15 min of shootin time.

So I'll just go to my outdoor spot tomorrow.

In doing my nightly dry firing practice I find the 17 smoother in the draw - aim at target routine. Not sure how to explain this, but here's my best shot: when I did the same draw-aim-fire drill, be it dry fire or live at range, with the 34 it almost felt like I was pointing something at the target. With the 17 and 19 it feels like I'm pointing at the target.  

I've noticed this before with my 19 when I would shoot it and the 34 back to back. The 17 points / feels the same way, odd. It's not a sight picture difference as I got a great alignment with the 34. Can't really quantify it in terms of an accurate description.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:45:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
By the time I was able to get to the range this evening, there was only 15 min of shootin time.

So I'll just go to my outdoor spot tomorrow.

In doing my nightly dry firing practice I find the 17 smoother in the draw - aim at target routine. Not sure how to explain this, but here's my best shot: when I did the same draw-aim-fire drill, be it dry fire or live at range, with the 34 it almost felt like I was pointing something at the target. With the 17 and 19 it feels like I'm pointing at the target.  

I've noticed this before with my 19 when I would shoot it and the 34 back to back. The 17 points / feels the same way, odd. It's not a sight picture difference as I got a great alignment with the 34. Can't really quantify it in terms of an accurate description.
View Quote

So you like the feel of the 17 more?

I love the feel and overall love my 34 more than any other pistol.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:56:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Yes I do. I attribute it to balance.

Waiting on ironhandjohn to show up at the range to get his observations too.

So far at 5, 7, & 15 yards I am shooting the 17 tighter than I did the 34 at the same distances.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:32:04 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote

I experienced that when I first went from my 19 to the 34/35.

Very strange feeling.

Went away eventually after diligent dry-fire.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:46:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yes I do. I attribute it to balance.

Waiting on ironhandjohn to show up at the range to get his observations too.

So far at 5, 7, & 15 yards I am shooting the 17 tighter than I did the 34 at the same distances.
View Quote

17 was the first maybe they had it right the first time for you.
I plan on getting a 17 but I want a used one.
You and I have very similar taste in pistols Glocks, TRP and I bet others.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:02:41 PM EDT
[#20]
450 rounds later this is the most accurate 9mm I've owned.

No shit.

Ironhandjohn can verify I was chewing out the bull at 15 yards.

Pics when I get home.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:26:46 PM EDT
[#21]
10 rounds at 7 yards.

DSC_5285 by The Dorsal Fin, on Flickr
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:48:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Looks like the 2 of you get along quite well to me. I need to add an FDE Glock to the collection one of these days.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:01:17 PM EDT
[#23]
I too have returned to a glock 17. Not as pretty as the FDE but has some old school 2nd generation class. Oh and it was $300 bucks
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:04:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:51:33 PM EDT
[#25]
I love all my Glocks but shoot the full sized guns (17/34) the best.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:56:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Just sold my new 34 and bought a new 17 Gen4. I like the 17 better.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:01:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Nice.

The 17 is my fav.
View Quote

Mine too. Everyone raves about the 19 and I have a few but the 17 is by a wide margin the best Glock made.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:38:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Mine too. Everyone raves about the 19 and I have a few but the 17 is by a wide margin the best Glock made.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice.

The 17 is my fav.

So by that statement the 19 is also the best Glock because it is just a trimmed down 17!

I still vote 34 as best it by far is my favorite and I have shot many 17's and always want the 34 more.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 12:16:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Nice score! I just missed AIM's deal on Gen4 17 LE trade ins (my buddy bought the last one). I can't say I would have traded off my 34...but then again...I have a FDE fetish like most on this forum.

I find that there is not a big difference in accuracy between the 17 and 34 for me. I only ended up with a 34 because I got a deal on it. I was about to end up with a 17 for USPSA...I still think about getting one for a back up USPSA gun.

Again...nice score (and great pics too!)
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 2:25:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Nice score! I just missed AIM's deal on Gen4 17 LE trade ins (my buddy bought the last one). I can't say I would have traded off my 34...but then again...I have a FDE fetish like most on this forum.

I find that there is not a big difference in accuracy between the 17 and 34 for me. I only ended up with a 34 because I got a deal on it. I was about to end up with a 17 for USPSA...I still think about getting one for a back up USPSA gun.

View Quote

+ $100
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 2:36:00 PM EDT
[#31]
I was drawing both the 19 and 34 last night, trying to notice the "point vs. pointing-something" thing you mentioned. Can't say I completely understand but the extra weight and length are definitely noticeable compared to the 19. That said, I really prefer the longer grip on the 34, even more so the Gen 4. The 34 points and shoots like a laser for me, so it stays around for now.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:10:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I was drawing both the 19 and 34 last night, trying to notice the "point vs. pointing-something" thing you mentioned. Can't say I completely understand but the extra weight and length are definitely noticeable compared to the 19. That said, I really prefer the longer grip on the 34, even more so the Gen 4. The 34 points and shoots like a laser for me, so it stays around for now.
View Quote

You've seen the difference between the 17 and 34 in my hands. Shoot both well - but you have to admit I shoot the 17 better. I've never been able to pull off 15 yard shots like I did yesterday with a Glock, ever.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:11:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

+ $100
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+ $100

That does help a lot!
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:50:07 PM EDT
[#34]
I've really had the itch for a FDE handgun and am planing to pick up CZ P-09 shortly. Now I'll be adding a FDE G17 to the list
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 4:41:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Isn't this de ja vu all over again for you ?

I recall an FDE g17 love affair not that long ago that was derailed by a SIG?

I could be wrong ..,,
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 4:57:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I could be wrong ..,,
View Quote

Yes. It was a gen 3.

Gen4 is a complete game changer in feel and how I shoot glocks. I will never own a gen3 again.

So there is this and another sig now
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 10:58:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yes. It was a gen 3.

Gen4 is a complete game changer in feel and how I shoot glocks. I will never own a gen3 again.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I could be wrong ..,,

Yes. It was a gen 3.

Lol...Ok.  I've never handled a G4. Both my 45s are SF, and the 19 is G3.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top