Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2014 2:33:31 PM EDT
This morning while attempting to reverse my mag release on a Gen4 Glock 34, I managed to snap the catch in half!! The directions I found on YouTube and in other places were pretty straightforward; Lift the little silver spring and hold it towards the rear, then slide the catch out of the frame. All was going well until the spring slipped off the Snap-On angled pick I was using to hold the spring, and then snapped back into place. No big deal, except the catch broke right where the spring hit it, rendering my G34 useless until I get a new part. Luckily I have a spare Glock, a Gen4 G19, that will fill the role until the big 34 is repaired.

Has anyone else broken a mag catch in a similar fashion? The specific part number is 7534 w/ a '3' on it.

I guess I need to call Glock on Monday and get a new one sent. Any ideas on how I may prevent this from happening again? Are there more durable Gen4 mag catches that aren't so fragile? I'm not looking for an over-sized competition piece, as I carry my G34 more than anything else.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:39:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Iron hands did it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:41:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I always just pull the spring out of the slot and let it rest on the catch while I push it out.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:55:26 PM EDT
[#3]
That's what I was trying to do when the spring slipped off the end and snapped back down, like a tiny mousetrap.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:11:45 PM EDT
[#4]
If Glock doesn't replace it, IM me your address and I'll send you one.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:15:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If Glock doesn't replace it, IM me your address and I'll send you one.
View Quote

Check your IMs.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:04:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Instead of trying to bend the spring back out of the way, just take the spring out of the frame before removing the mag release.  After you get it out of the notch in the mag release, grab it with needle nose pliers and just pull it up.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:14:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Instead of trying to bend the spring back out of the way, just take the spring out of the frame before removing the mag release.  After you get it out of the notch in the mag release, grab it with needle nose pliers and just pull it up.
View Quote

I'll do that when I install the new part after it comes in. I just watched a video where a guy does it on his G26, and it looks like there is less likelihood of the same thing happening again.

Also, ZEV Tech. makes an aluminum piece which looks nice. Is it $35 nice? I'm not sure, but it sure wouldn't break like the plastic part did.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 12:17:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Look on the bright side....this happening renewed your faith in the 19
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:47:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks like a good excuse to buy a Vickers
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:53:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Damn first time I've heard of someone breaking thier mag release on a Glock.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 8:34:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Damn first time I've heard of someone breaking thier mag release on a Glock.
View Quote

Well, to be honest, if anyone could or would break one, it would be me..

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 1:59:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Was just told by Customer Support that in order to get a new mag catch from them, I had to find a local Glock certified armorer, give them all my gun information, and then they will send the armorer the new part. Apparently this falls outside warrantied repairs because reversing the catch is "beyond field stripping", from a liability standpoint.

Anybody know one in Nashville I can use?

EDIT: I'm also apparently the first one to break their catch, if the tech's reaction is any indication. Was told to refer to YouTube in order to get it right, but I told him that's where I got the info the first time. Oh, well.. As long as it gets fixed, I don't care how.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:00:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Catch is in the mail...
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 7:51:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Catch is in the mail...
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/26/2014 4:43:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Catch arrived today and will be installed tonight.

Thanks!!

EDIT:

The catch went in without issue, and I think I figured out how the first one broke. When I pulled the spring out of the notch I used an angled pick, but twisted the tip a bit to free the end of the spring. I think I broke a piece off of the catch, and then it snapped when the spring end popped back into place after slipping off the end of the tool.
The new catch also has a '4' in addition to the part number, instead of the '3' on the broken one. Does that make a difference? Who knows?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top