Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2014 3:20:35 PM EDT
I am going to get a glock 26 later this week, most likely. I am currently doing the old gen 3 vs. 4 debate. I have never held a gen 4 in my hand ( I will do this before deciding) , but I have a gen 3 glock 17 and I do like the way it feels. I was thinking it would be smart to have them both be of the same generation for familiarity sake. but in all reality, they aren't really that much different. Does anyone else try to keep all their glocks from the same gen?

So far I am finding gen 3's for 499 and gen 4's for 539. Is this what I should expect to pay or does anyone have a lead on a cheaper place to get one? Thanks
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:38:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I picked the G4's based on grip texture.   The recoil spring had no bearing on why I bought them.

Both are good to go.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:15:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I picked the G4's based on grip texture.   The recoil spring had no bearing on why I bought them.

Both are good to go.
View Quote

I just called around my local shops and no one has a gen 3 in stock so I can't do a side by side comparison of the grips. Kind of leaning gen 3 to save 40 bucks. Not sure though.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:45:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I am a big fan of Gen4. I think you still get 3 mags with the Gen4. Do Gen3s still come with 2?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:45:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Gen3 has a slightly better trigger than the 4's. I do like the smaller grip (with no backstraps) of the Gen4 and the mag release is much easier for me to use on the Gen4.

Having said that I sold my Gen4's and kept my 3's and had the finger grooves removed and the hump on the back reduced. Now it's perfect and has an awesome stock trigger.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:12:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I just called around my local shops and no one has a gen 3 in stock so I can't do a side by side comparison of the grips. Kind of leaning gen 3 to save 40 bucks. Not sure though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both are good to go.

If they have 4's in stock go for it you will not be disappointed.  I think the size of the mag release is better on the 4 IMO and the extra mag.
Only suggestion I make to change on the pistol is get some steel or night sights and ditch the shitty plastic ones.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:18:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If they have 4's in stock go for it you will not be disappointed.  I think the size of the mag release is better on the 4 IMO and the extra mag.
Only suggestion I make to change on the pistol is get some steel or night sights and ditch the shitty plastic ones.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both are good to go.

Oh yeah, night sights are a definite change I will be making.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:21:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I like the Gen4s better than the Gen3s.

I am not a big fan of the 26.  In that size gun, I find the M&P9c has a better grip, points more naturally and it doesn't pinch your fingers between the mag and the frame the way the 26 does.  YMMV
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:38:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a mix of 2,3,4 gens like them all.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:39:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I just recently switched to gen4s after years of being a gen3 carrier. I love the grip texture and the mag release.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:40:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I have had Gen4 Glocks but now all my Glocks are Gen3.

I like the more pronounced finger grooves on Gen3's.

I will not buy the newer Glocks with the shit matte slide finish, when the older shinier finish is soooo much more durable. This is not a gen specific thing, but more of a date of manufacturing thing. Which eliminates any Glocks recently built i think.

So I only buy used Gen3 Glocks that I can inspect in person first or get detailed pictures of the slide sent to me.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:00:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I will not buy the newer Glocks with the shit matte slide finish, when the older shinier finish is soooo much more durable. This is not a gen specific thing, but more of a date of manufacturing thing. Which eliminates any Glocks recently built i think.

So I only buy used Gen3 Glocks that I can inspect in person first or get detailed pictures of the slide sent to me.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/04/thumbnail/y4ynuhu4.jpg

http://www.thunderbeartactical.com/Glock%20Top.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/crazyjeeper/Glock/IMG_2190.jpg

http://www.upload.ee/image/3421213/GlockGen4finishs.jpg

View Quote

Yeah I read they stopped using tennifer. No option for me as I prefer to buy guns new.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:28:00 PM EDT
[#12]
The Gen4 is the way to go. Mag release and grip texture are a big plus.

As far as the finish goes, the corrosion resistance is the same. Glock just changed their top coat. It still doesn't rust. I don't care how pretty my Glock looks after being used, it's a tool.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:30:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:45:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:17:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've found that the newer finish is a little easier to grip even though it is smoother. The pebbled surface that is on most gen 3s feels like a Teflon pan to me.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:10:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:32:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I have both and like both.  I like the new texture and color it is different finally.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:37:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Ah you guys are killing me. I really gotta find them both side by side somewhere.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:58:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yeah I read they stopped using tennifer. No option for me as I prefer to buy guns new.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glock didn't stop using tenifer and they won't ever. The tenifer process is the treatment/process that the metal parts go through for corrosion resistance/surface hardness (also called melonite in the states on some pistols here, HK calls it Hostile Environment, all are coined phrases for a type of nitrocarburizing). Glock then parkerizes the slide after treatment which gives it the black final finish. Wearing through this finish does not affect the hardness or corrosion resistance on the metal surface below as it's the metal itself that is treated. Glock has changed their parkerized finishes over the years with the older shinier finishes being more desirable and I do agree, the older/shinier finish looks much better than the current more matte like finishes but I am fine with either finish. The myth that the tenifer is the black parkerized surface itself really needs to die.

That said, the Gen4 is my vote. I like the bigger mag release and the grip texture and the fact that it comes with 3 magazines. Also you can add the right backstrap to fit your hand and Glock now includes beavertail backstraps if you have large mitts or wish to get an even higher grip on the gun.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:02:53 PM EDT
[#20]
A few weeks later you can have I am getting a G19 thread.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:09:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both are good to go.

I prefer the Gen4.  BTW, that extra $40 also gets you an extra mag.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:18:45 PM EDT
[#22]
I've posted this before, and I will again. I HATED Glocks prior to Gen 4. HATED them. The polymer was just way, way too slick. I own three Gen 4's, a 23, 27, and a 19. I will say it is super easy to scratch up the Gen 4 finish, bit that doesn't bother me. I carry my guns, and shoot them. I don't mind wear marks. The texture, inserts, and magazine release are simply too much to give up if you go Gen 3, IMO.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:58:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
A few weeks later you can have I am getting a G19 thread.
View Quote

Lol ya. That day's coming. I just picked up a 17L so I gotta get the whole set!
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:17:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Pick your self up a used gen 3. Plenty for sale, it's all I carry off duty.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:19:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I just recently switched to gen4s after years of being a gen3 carrier. I love the grip texture and the mag release.
View Quote

Me, too. The Gen4's full sized grip on my 34 is what did it for me.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:12:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Gen 3.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:35:17 AM EDT
[#27]
After owning 2 gen3 glocks and 5 gen4 glocks I would have to say that gen4 is the way to go. It came down to the smaller grip frame and the factory stippiling.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:42:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Alright! I'm gonna get a gen 4. The extra mag and the other improvements are just too much to pass up for the 40 dollar price difference.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:47:28 AM EDT
[#29]
While I agree the old finish was much more durable, I do like the new finish. It adds traction, whereas the old finish was pretty slick, that's just me.

I made the switch to all Gen 4's a little while ago, Gen 4 19 as a daily carry gun, Gen 4 17 with a Gemtech threaded barrel for a suppressor host and a Gen 3 17C for a fun range gun.

I like them all, they all work, I have to say I do like how the Gen 4's feel much more than the gen 3's and I like the way they shoot, there isn't much recoil difference in the 9mm but big time in the .40's I think a gen 4 G23 shoots much softer than a Gen 3 but that's just me.

You will like the Gen 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top