Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2014 4:57:16 PM EDT
So I suck at gunsmithing.  It's good to know that I don't have a career that involves heavy machinery or surgical skills.
I am trying to learn though.  
So I tried my hand at fitting a Ghost Rocket 3.5# and screwed something up.  
As soon as I press the trigger safety the trigger breaks.  What did I do?

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:10:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I notice the slide is off are you setting the trigger by pushing the trigger bar forward on the firing pin safety lug? What does it do with the slide in place?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:23:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I notice the slide is off are you setting the trigger by pushing the trigger bar forward on the firing pin safety lug? What does it do with the slide in place?
View Quote

Yes, I was manually resetting the trigger bar.  Here's a video with the slide in place.
You will notice that the trigger safety isn't resetting correctly.  

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:25:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Admittedly  another armchair armorer here but I don't think the safety blade itself is the issue, it just doesn't appear that the trigger is resetting correctly/far enough forward for the safety blade to clear the trigger opening where it normally rests. The bigger hint in the video seems to be that the trigger is sluggish and not resetting forward with enough energy. That would make me ask if all is well with the trigger spring. Have you removed the whole thing to take another look? If you just replaced the connector and didn't make any alterations removing and re-assembling might clear things up for you plus the more you do it the clearer the whole operation will become which will help you recognize if something is incorrect or bound up. Meanwhile a real Glock armorer might pop in!
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:24:16 AM EDT
[#4]
** Mystery Resolved? **
The rocket connector has a "Trigger Control Tab" (TCT) that needs to be filed down to fit.  
I screwed up and didn't get a nice 90-degree angle on my filing.  So I had to file some more to square up the TCT.  Now too much material has been removed and I think the trigger bar is being allowed to come too far back into the frame which prevents the trigger safety blade from resetting correctly.

Note to self, next time use a vise to hold the connector while filing.  I clearly do not possess the skills (yet) to free-hand the filing.  

Looks like I need to replace the connector and try again.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:35:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Get a drop in connector from Ghost, Lone Wolf etc.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:59:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I think i remember reading somewhere that Ghost will do a one-time free replacement of a connector even if it is due to improper installation.....might be worth checking into.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:03:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I think i remember reading somewhere that Ghost will do a one-time free replacement of a connector even if it is due to improper installation.....might be worth checking into.
View Quote
This.

Let them know you took too much off, they should do 1 free replacement

Hint for next time - etch a small line with an exacto knife or something so you can keep track of how much you're filing off the tab.

Take a little off, test it, etch another line if need be, repeat as needed.

It takes a little work, but once you get it right they are pretty nice
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:33:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I did that this morning - they we're pretty cool about it too.  I've already printed out an envelope and a quick note about the return.  

Quoted:
Hint for next time - etch a small line with an exacto knife or something so you can keep track of how much you're filing off the tab.

That is an excellent suggestion!    I will use that idea on round two.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top