Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2014 12:20:36 PM EDT
HOLY Cow, i was excited to shoot this glock 42. I own about 15 other glocks and never have an issue (minus a squib from tula)

this glock 42 is the most unreliable glock i've ever had!

So i got one last night, i decided to run about 150 rounds through it, making sure it could keep up
first 50 rounds are pos brown bear. bang, jam...clear...pull slide
bang, jam...clear...pull slide
times 50 almost.

I lubed the barrel and tried it with seller and belliot brass cased ammo
similar results.

Lubed the **** out of the gun, rapid fired a mag, no jams.

Now today i tried about 40 rounds. I lubed the crap out of it, and it seems to cycle 3/4 rounds fine, but a full mag it fails to extract/jams.

Why glock why are you such a pile of steaming dog ****.

What upgrades can i do. I love the gun, im very accurate with it...but man i wouldnt trust my life with this thing in its current state.

Thanks for your time

Josh
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:27:14 PM EDT
[#1]
May need the extractor replaced and the feed ramp polished
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:34:44 PM EDT
[#2]
http://looserounds.com/2014/05/10/glock-appears-to-have-made-changes-to-the-g42/

Changes were made to the Glock 42 design. I would check to see if you have the updated internals.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:53:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for the info, looks to be the newer updaed slide stop, old mag, I have some new mags on the way.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:58:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Step one try a new mag and known top quality ammo. Sure something like standard Winchester or federal ball plus a box or two of premium defense stuff. It may be worth trying a different magazine as well. Not saying you did not get a lemon but eliminate those variables first. If you have a friend with a reliable 42 try swapping slides to see if the problem goes away
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:09:50 PM EDT
[#5]
thank you, it looks like its just 1 month old (got it off a buddy of mine)

time to break out the rbcd
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:11:46 PM EDT
[#6]
just shot another 50 of winchester through it....
so it has failed to extract a few times, and the guide rod keeps coming undone... atleast it goes 10 rounds or so now before failing
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:34:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Non technical advice removed -AJE
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:19:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I was getting all sorts of jams for the first 100 or so rounds. Only hotter hollow points were working. After another 150 or so it's been flawless with various ammo.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:21:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What upgrades can i do.
View Quote

I would start with American made brass cased ammo. Winchester, Black Hills and Hornady.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:23:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Is it failing to extract or failing to eject?Mine stovepiped alot when new with cheap ammo.
My G42 likes hot ammo.
Don't know what to tell ya about RSA.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:24:35 PM EDT
[#11]
It's been widely reported that the 42 is picky and that it does not shoot cheap ammo well. Probably not what you wanted to hear but run a mag of some good (expensive) ammo and I'll bet the problems go away. Lots of 380s need a fast slide to kick the cases out.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:16:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks so much, honestly if i can afford 50 bmg, what the hell is it for a couple higher end boxes of 380 ;)

I just want it to perform flawlessly if it's going to be my pocket piece. I've ordered 500 rounds of good stuff, im hoping it just needed a bit of a break in

Im noticing the guide rod likes to come out of place every once in a while as well.

Sometimes it "stove pipes" and the slide eats one with the spent casing facing out, but not clearing the gun.

other times it was failing to extract, goes bang, then click...drop mag, rack slide, rack and go.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:35:47 AM EDT
[#13]
I have been around five different Glock 42's most early models.  All of them needed hot ammo to run, a friend loaded some FMJ with a moderate load of unique and it was like shooting a single shot.  I loaded some 95 grain FMJ .1 grain below max with Accurate # 2 and this load has been 100%.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:23:27 AM EDT
[#14]
It has been my experience with all .380 autos, -Walther PPK,Sig 232,LCP -they all needed to be at least broken in , with good hot self defense ammo.

Anything else is a waste of time, run 100 rounds of good stuff through it, then go to cheap ball for range use.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:07:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
HOLY Cow, i was excited to shoot this glock 42. I own about 15 other glocks and never have an issue (minus a squib from tula)

this glock 42 is the most unreliable glock i've ever had!

So i got one last night, i decided to run about 150 rounds through it, making sure it could keep up
first 50 rounds are pos brown bear. bang, jam...clear...pull slide
times 50 almost.

I lubed the barrel and tried it with seller and belliot brass cased ammo
similar results.

Lubed the **** out of the gun, rapid fired a mag, no jams.

Now today i tried about 40 rounds. I lubed the crap out of it, and it seems to cycle 3/4 rounds fine, but a full mag it fails to extract/jams.

Why glock why are you such a pile of steaming dog ****.

What upgrades can i do. I love the gun, im very accurate with it...but man i wouldnt trust my life with this thing in its current state.

Thanks for your time

Josh
View Quote

Why do people insist on buying and using Cheap ass ammo, And then blame the gun? Maybe there is a reason why it was/is cheap. Get off your cheap ass and buy some real ammo and then post a thread bashing your gun.  Historicly The problems stem from shooting the cheap stuff NOT decent ammo or gun related issues. You can afford 15 other Glocks but you cant afford real ammo? WTF Alright I'm done bitching now
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:36:03 AM EDT
[#16]
The guide rod  "RSA" always comes out of the notch in the barrel after you rack the slide the first time after reassembling a Glock.Is this what you are concerned with?
If so,your 15 other Glocks must all do the same thing?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:38:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Have a G42...it has been jam free using Hornady CD and higher powered 380 berrys 100gr reloads.   Cheap ammo causes problems
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:41:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://looserounds.com/2014/05/10/glock-appears-to-have-made-changes-to-the-g42/

Changes were made to the Glock 42 design. I would check to see if you have the updated internals.
View Quote

Great link.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:49:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Well, you WERE using crap (in my opinion) ammo. Try American made, brass cased and see what you get. Although, it might still be a steaming pile, as was my G42.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:21:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:28:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Maybe it was the Piece Of Shit ammo, your words, you were using or maybe your buddy tried to "fix" something on it already.  I have two of the, I got them both in January, and they have worked perfectly with anything from flat nosed FMJ to Hornady +P rounds with a huge hollow point.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:11:02 AM EDT
[#22]
My wife's G42 ran fine on everything except for Hornady 90gr XTPs, which would cause stovepipes. I swapped out the slide stop with the newer part, and it still stovepiped. With the new slide stop and the new-style magazines, it runs flawlessly with XTPs.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:47:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It's been widely reported that the 42 is picky and that it does not shoot cheap ammo well. Probably not what you wanted to hear but run a mag of some good (expensive) ammo and I'll bet the problems go away. Lots of 380s need a fast slide to kick the cases out.
View Quote

all current gen. glocks are  FIFY
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:11:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My wife's G42 ran fine on everything except for Hornady 90gr XTPs, which would cause stovepipes. I swapped out the slide stop with the newer part, and it still stovepiped. With the new slide stop and the new-style magazines, it runs flawlessly with XTPs.
View Quote

Did you send it to Glock for the slide stop replacement or did you find the stop somewhere? If so, where?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:43:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Did you send it to Glock for the slide stop replacement or did you find the stop somewhere? If so, where?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I ordered it through RockYourGlock.com. The customer service gal told me that their G42 slide stops are all of the "-1" variety, and the one I received from them matched that description.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:51:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Mine runs fine. Been shooting Federal and Winchester FMJ and CCI Blazer. Well over 1200 rounds now.
I did do a dry break in as I do with most of my new guns.
Rack slide manually 200 times, break gun down, clean and lube.
This procedure has worked very well for me over the years, especially with newly built AR's
Cant remember the last time I had a malfunction That being said I do only use factory ammo exclusively.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:24:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Mines having constant stoppages with three ammo types as well.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_13/154507_.html
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:28:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Its like we keep repeating this thread complaint about G42. I own one and shot it today...zero failures. To get to this point
1. Pull barrel and polish ramp until mirrorlike---metal polish or equal
2. During first 100 rounds lube it alot--frog lube or equal
3. Use only Hornady CD FTX for CCW...they seem to have more pep to cycle the action.
4. For reloads...load powder to near max. My range bullet is 4.2gr Unique under 100gr Berrys Bullet
5. Once broken in its flawless...
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 8:04:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Josh,
Polish the chamber, by hand. Q-tips and flitz (or simular). Seems to have helped mine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top