Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2014 12:38:33 PM EDT
I have read online discussions that mentioned certain combinations of trigger and striker springs intended to improve trigger pull can result in failures of the slide to go fully into battery with the trigger held to the rear trigger reset and proper firing pin block function.

What combo of parts causes this problem?

any issues with using a Wolf trigger spring with a Lone wolf 3.5# connector?  ETA: I see some issues with the firing pin block not resetting properly with heavier trigger springs.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:30:46 PM EDT
[#1]
There are always trade-offs:

A heavier trigger spring will help you pull the trigger easier.  It will also make the reset sluggish.

A lighter striker spring probably has the biggest effect on reducing the trigger pull weight.  It will also cause light primer strikes unless you also use a lightened striker and/or use soft primers exclusively (i.e Federal).

A lighter recoil spring will speed up the slide and reduce felt recoil (when used with light loads).  Too light can lead to failure to go into battery.  In extreme cases, the striker spring can overpower the recoil spring and pull it out of battery.

A connector just changes the geometry; probably your best bet for not negatively effecting reliability.

My plan for my new Gen 4 G34:
-connector (Taran, Zev V4, or Ghost Evo Elite)
-lighter firing pin safety spring
-stock trigger spring
-stock striker spring (or maybe a 5.0 lb)
-13-15 lb recoil spring
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:26:50 PM EDT
[#2]
A heavier trigger spring will help you pull the trigger easier. It will also make the reset sluggish.

A lighter striker spring probably has the biggest effect on reducing the trigger pull weight. It will also cause light primer strikes...
View Quote

Thanks for the explanation. That makes perfect sense.

Ive got an extra striker to play with.  Is there a preferred (slightly) reduced powered striker spring? Wolff? Something I could get at glockparts, midway or brownells?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:35:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Ive got an extra striker to play with.  Is there a preferred (slightly) reduced powered striker spring? Wolff? Something I could get at glockparts, midway or brownells?
View Quote

The factory striker spring is 5.5lbs.  Most of the "competition spring" kits come with a 4.0 lb which is too light unless you use a lightened striker and soft primers.  4.5 lb reportedly works 100% with the OEM striker and most primers.  5.0 lb should be reliable with the OEM striker and almost any primer.  

Wolff makes all of the above mentioned weight springs.  They even sell a kit that contains the 4.0, 4.5, and 5.0, so you can experiment with what works in your gun.

I have 45k Federal primers, so I'm going to use the Wolff 4.5 lb spring with the OEM striker.  I'll let you know how it works out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top