Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/21/2014 11:25:38 PM EDT
Sorry if this topic is brought up often.  I could really find what I was looking for online.

I have been wanting to pick up a Glock lately.  Ive started doing a lot more shooting the past year.  Various steel shoots, Ive tried action shooting but my handgun skills aren't quite proficient enough.  Im still in college so don't really want to spend $600 on a new Glock.  Current gun shoots just fine but who doesn't like new toys.

Anyways I am curious if anyone has any experience with the Gen 3 G22 Police Trade Ins.  They can usually be picked up for around $300-$350.  My father bought one a few years ago and the gun he got didn't have much wear, you could tell it was not new but it didn't even barely show a little bit of holster wear.  It has turned out to be a nice gun for the $320 he spent.  I saw online that some people talk about getting guns that have been shot to hell and back and are very worn out.  But I wasn't sure if they were just expecting to get a new safe queen?

Just curious everyones thoughts.  Im not rushing out to buy anything just looking for input,  would it be worth watching for one or just hold off and buy a new Glock in a year or two.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:06:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Definitely worth looking into, maybe look at the G17 as well if you can find any trade ins, especially if you plan to use it in competitions. Just inspect it before you buy it. If you're unsure how to, ask the dealer to field strip it for you, and simply look for signs of extreme wear and tear or neglect. You may come across some trade ins that were shot a lot, some that look like they were never cleaned, and some that were lightly used and properly maintained. Good luck
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:17:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought one a few years back from a sponsor of this site.

It was in very rough shape externally and looked nothing like the picture they had on their webpage.

The internals didnt look too bad but I rebuilt the whole thing anyway.

It`s a good shooter but if I was to do it again I would ask questions about the condition.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:50:14 AM EDT
[#3]
PD trade-ins are usually great values. Carried a lot, shot a little.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:03:58 AM EDT
[#4]
PD trades are simply used guns, the same as a private owner.  They can be in great condition, or junk.  Buy the gun based on condition of the actual gun you wish to buy.  There's nothing inherent with PD trades that makes them a better or worse buy.  

For example, I recently saw same very nice 17's that were trade-ins.  Great shape, night sites, decent price.  I also saw some 17's that were trade-ins.  They looked like hell, VERY high miles, and the price was too high for their condition.  The price difference between the two was only $50, but the difference in condition was immense.

Buying used guns is like buying used cars.  It's a great way to get a much higher value on what you buy.  Just know what you're buying.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:15:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Bought 3.  (17, 21, 22)  Excellent value.  No issues.  The 17 was never issued, apparently.  Like new.

Am always looking for more.

Ray
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:10:49 AM EDT
[#6]
When our PD switched guns, I bought the g22 that I was issued.  It's a gen 2, and it's seen a lot of use, but it's in good shape and had new springs put in before I got it.  A lot of the finish is worn, but it still shoots fine and is accurate as hell.

ETA: Found a pic of mine
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:24:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Here is an economics lesson with guns that it took me a while to learn.  Forget about the cost of the gun.  You will spend much more on ammo during the life of the gun that the cost of the gun is negligible.  

My point being that the police trade in G22 might cost you a hell of a lot more than a new G17 or G34 when you figure in what you will spend on ammo over a year.  If you don't reload, 9mm is a lot cheaper to shoot.  Even if you reload, it is still marginally cheaper.  It gets even more expensive when you later decide that you bought the wrong gun and now need to buy another...

Now if you just want .40 to shoot major or because you just like .40 then go for it.  Just don't base your decision solely on initial cost.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:39:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Yep, police trade-in G19 with night sights.  Works great.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:12:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Got a DTUXXX Police trade in. It even had 10 round magazines in it.
Right hand side of the grip was scarred up from a seatbelt, but the left hand was immaculate.
Slide had typical holster wear.
It has all steel parts, no MIM, no LCI.
It was covered internally in an oil,powder, dirt gunk.
I did a complete cleaning of it and it is an awesome shooter.

No BTF, No FTF, No FTE.
Just an awesome little pistol for EDC.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:46:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the input all.  I have never seen a police trade in 17 or 19.  Guess if I saw one I would have to consider it more.  I only ever see 22s with an occasional 23.  I was thinking if I get a 22 or 23 I can get a lone wolf barrel and shoot 9mm out of it.  It may not be the most reliable but for practice/plinking it would be ok for me.

I'm not the most familiar with glocks. Where/what should one pay most attention too when buying used?  Any certain points to pay attention too?

I understand what you mean when you say I will spend more in Amo than the gun cost.  But when in college if I save $200 on the gun that $200 can go straight into a nice holster and more mags.  I am currently set up to reload 9mm sure my father has dies for .40.  Even then sometimes it's just cheaper to buy factory rounds.  Just depends
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:20:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the input all.  I have never seen a police trade in 17 or 19.  Guess if I saw one I would have to consider it more.  I only ever see 22s with an occasional 23.  I was thinking if I get a 22 or 23 I can get a lone wolf barrel and shoot 9mm out of it.  It may not be the most reliable but for practice/plinking it would be ok for me.

I'm not the most familiar with glocks. Where/what should one pay most attention too when buying used?  Any certain points to pay attention too?

I understand what you mean when you say I will spend more in Amo than the gun cost.  But when in college if I save $200 on the gun that $200 can go straight into a nice holster and more mags.  I am currently set up to reload 9mm sure my father has dies for .40.  Even then sometimes it's just cheaper to buy factory rounds.  Just depends
View Quote

Understood.  Just make sure that you figure out the total cost before making a decision.  A conversion barrel and a few 9mm magazines added to the cost of the PD trade-in G22 will pretty much get you a new G17.  Again, if you want a .40, then the police trade-in is a great deal.  Just make sure that you think it through.  I have made the mistake of settling for something less than I wanted for financial reasons many times.  In most cases, it has ended up costing me more since I eventually end up chasing what I really wanted in the first place.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:24:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I got a police trade in G17 a couple yrs ago off gunbroker. Lots of slide wear, dim night sites, had like glue all over the grip (I spent an hour or two chipping it off with a pocket knife), but otherwise its a good shooter. Came with 2 mags and I think after transfer fees I'm in it for around $375. I'm happy with it, even has a cool little shield engraved on the side with the towns name.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:12:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would look around where the barrel and slide meet on the front of the ejection area. If there is limited wear and ALL 3 serial numbers match then it is a low round count gun. The Gen 3 Glock 22s have been going for around $350 or so depending on cosmetic condition.  I live in N. ID so most of my buying has been on line.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:18:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a gen 2 G19  and recently bought a gen 3 G30, both LE trades.
The G19 has a little holster wear and had the NY1 trigger that cost me $14 to swap out and the G30 looks brand new.  Seriously, it is flawless.  Even came with night sights.

I also have a beautiful 5906 that with new grips looks brand new and a P220 that has a little wear.  

I'm always looking for LE trades. Awesome value for the money. .
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:30:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I trust that you do know you can get your Glock slide refinished by Glock for all of $45.

New night sights for $57.

Looks like you can get a new frame for $100 (whatever "frame upgrade" means?)

http://us.glock.com/documents/GLOCK%20Warranty.pdf
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:49:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I bought a G22 just to put in a .357 Sig barrel.  It runs fine.  I have one where they milled out the stamped badge.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:02:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Do a function test on the pistol, also function test the safeties, then just look at everything real good. Check for any damage or cracks in the frame, inside and out, check for damage to the slide, the firing pin if you know how to remove it (and the gun shop lets you), check the barrel for hairline cracks, check the barrel crown for damage, the feed ramp, barrel lug and locking block, check the recoil spring assembly for damage, make sure the slide stop, slide lock, and magazine release all work correctly. If it has magazines, check the followers for damage, the spring if they let you disassemble the mag, make sure the baseplate isn't damaged. Check the slide rails for damage, rack it a few times and check for smoothness. Put an empty mag in and see if the slide locks back properly.

Just some examples off the top of my head. Of course, depending on price and how slight the damage, you could still get a great deal even if you have to replace a few parts.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:18:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:34:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks all!

Yea I honestly don't know what I want.  I have a Browning HiPower and know that I want a Glock.  Part of me wants a 9mm just because I already have so much 9mm ammo, but the other part of me wants a .40 little higher Power Factor for when thats needed but also just a little bigger bullet for when Im out backpacking and such.  I don't want to start a whole caliber debate I just can't decide.  Ive looked into both before just have to decide.  

Local Gun shop has a Gen 3 17 for $435.  Only comes with one mag,  Its in good shape but I was going to see if they would come down to $400 since its only got 1 mag or see if they would throw one in if I bought it.  They want $499 for a new Gen 4.  But we will see I may just keep an eye out.

Yea I knew you could have block refinish/work on guns.  I honestly like a little holster wear but if I do get a Glock it will be getting a Burnt Bronze Cerakoat job within the year so Im not too worried.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:34:59 AM EDT
[#20]
I bought a Police trade-in Glock 22 Gen 3 a couple of weeks ago.

https://dsgarms.com/glkg22-pti
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:49:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:53:35 AM EDT
[#22]
I just bought a police trade Gen4 22 that barely even looked like it has been shot, I know a shop that has unissued police 21s, some look like new, others like they have been put through the ringer, I guess like for a modest fee Glock will refurb them for you.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:55:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Would someone with a glock 23 or 19 be more hindered than someone with a 17 or 22?  

One of my biggest debates is to get a a full size or the sub full size or what ever they are considered.  Gun won't be for conceal carry mostly plinking and what ever little shoots there are locally.  I've checked out both styles and both seem to fit my hands just about the same..  just curious if any one model would have more recoil than the other or anyth ok no else I may be missing.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:22:20 AM EDT
[#24]
I guess I didn't hit submit when I typed out a message here yesterday.  I just got my first Glock on Tuesday, its a police trade in G22G3 from DSG Arms ($310). Cosmetically its a 9/10, if not better.  Slide looks perfect as does most of the frame.  Just some small nicks out of the magwell area, if that's the right term.  Had the original night sights which had been painted over (quite sloppily) with white paint or maybe even white out.  Scraped it off with a toothpick.  Night sights still working well, I'm not sure how much brighter they are when new.  Barrel is on the cruddy side and I don't have a brush/snake in 40 to clean it up yet.  Haven't fired it yet either.  I definitely would have made the purchase again.  If I had the cash there's no doubt I would have got a second one, but now I might be leaning towards a G27 at some point if I get a CCW permit.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:50:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Would someone with a glock 23 or 19 be more hindered than someone with a 17 or 22?  

One of my biggest debates is to get a a full size or the sub full size or what ever they are considered.  Gun won't be for conceal carry mostly plinking and what ever little shoots there are locally.  I've checked out both styles and both seem to fit my hands just about the same..  just curious if any one model would have more recoil than the other or anyth ok no else I may be missing.
View Quote

That is a decision you will have to make on your own. Go to the stores and fondle both sizes. We have a store in post falls that rents out the guns for their firing range, for people to see what they like. find a LGS that offers that service and See what just feels better for you. Personally I prefer the full size frames(17,22) etc. for my full figured hands. But I'm not trying to conceal them either. For what you are claiming your needs are, I don't think the size will really affect anything much.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:06:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

A compact pistol is always a compromise in order to make it more concealable.  If you have no need for concealment, the full (service) size will be better.  That is, unless the compact has a smaller grip that fits you better.  Otherwise, go with the longer barrel and added capacity.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:40:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Bought a couple with night sites. One was slightly used and the other like new with the NY trigger. Replaced the trigger. Both shoot great with no problems. If I were to buy another Glock I wouldn't hesitate to buy a police trade in. Wouldn't bother buying new.

NAD
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:04:40 PM EDT
[#28]
I bought a police trade in model 17 several years ago.... It was probably the most accurate handgun that I've ever owned.    I'm sorry that I sold it.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:48:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Bought an Indiana State Police Glock 17 a few months back. Great shape, just the frame is showing a little smoothness.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:32:10 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a couple. A Gen 3 G22 from local a Salt Lake area department. Some cosmetic wear but function 100%.

recently picked up a Gen 4 G22 police trade in from J&G sales
Looks almost new........ BUT had a wadded up firing pin saftey spring that I didnt notice til I went and fired it. Pop pop pop pop pop!

Waiting on my new spring to install.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:59:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Anyone find a Gen3 G19 in stock?

Everywhere I have looked online is out of stock.

I want one of these $350 glocks, bad.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:54:57 AM EDT
[#32]
I picked up my 2 pin Gen 3 G19 last January from a local guy. Brown Box Agency trade in. It was dirty and grimy,but in decent shape. he wanted $400, I talked him down to $386 OTD. Had to shoot it asap, so loaded up a mag with 10rds and found a dirt clod on the road on my way home. Wow, was it dirty alright, I racked the slide and had push it in to battery about 1/8". Fired great. Took it home, scrubbed it clean, oiled it and adjusted the rear sight and replaced the RSA. Looked like a brand new gun. Very little wear on the barrel, maybe a scuff on the bottom of the grip and by the rail, other than that, it was the best deal I have made on a glock, kinda a diamond in the ruff so to speak. Have since changed out sights to ATS and mounted a TLR-1. Now its my kinda do everything gun.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:37:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I trust that you do know you can get your Glock slide refinished by Glock for all of $45.

New night sights for $57.

Looks like you can get a new frame for $100 (whatever "frame upgrade" means?)

http://us.glock.com/documents/GLOCK%20Warranty.pdf
View Quote

I think people think it must be to good to be true or something. Ive used the Glock refinishing service before. Its a great deal. Dont know why someone will pay $60-$100, plus return shipping for duracote, cerakote, molyresin, ect. When for $45 you get the slide inspected, refinished & rebuilt and returned by Fed Ex.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:34:08 PM EDT
[#34]
I just got this G17 Gen 2 for $335, sucker is clean!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:59:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Realisticlly You are looking at a used gun. One can pick your flavor of PD trade-in for around $325-375. On the average savings of about $150 or so.  Remember these are USED guns and dirt and crumbs may be in it. So a good cleaning and a new set of sights will probably be in order. Many of the Trade ins that I have personally seen have holster wear and some minor scratches. Barrels are usually litely used as most officers shoot there gun for qualifications and reholster it til the next qual. time. Personally I have bought 3 of them and they operate just fine after a good cleaning/lubing, along with maybe a new set of NS. If you are looking for safe queens then look elsewhere. YMMV
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:33:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Not sure if my last post went through. I'm having tech issues.

A Local store has a used Gen 3 17 with 2 mags.  It's not a police trade in.  They are asking $435 is that a fair price?  I was going to see of they would negotiate but didn't want to ask them before I did a price check..  I can get a new one for 460 or so.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:08:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Not sure if my last post went through. I'm having tech issues.

A Local store has a used Gen 3 17 with 2 mags.  It's not a police trade in.  They are asking $435 is that a fair price?  I was going to see of they would negotiate but didn't want to ask them before I did a price check..  I can get a new one for 460 or so.
View Quote

If you can get a new one for $25 more, I would just go new.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:07:02 PM EDT
[#38]
That's how I felt. After I buy a spare mag I'm going to be in for the cost of a new one.  I was going too see if they'd negotiate a little.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:17:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Picked up a Gen 2 Glock 22 a few years ago for 325.00 OTD.  Only thing really wrong with it was a lot of holster wear on the slide.  Sent it back to Glock and for $45 I got it back in a few weeks.  Only money outside of that was the $90 for a new set of TNS.  Would still have it if my Dad didn't like it so much.  Ended up going home with him one day after we went shooting.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:48:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Probably one of the best purchases you can make, if you know what to look for. Nothing wrong with used Glocks.

http://looserounds.com/2014/09/30/buying-le-trade-in-used-glocks-what-to-look-for/
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 4:59:32 PM EDT
[#41]
I buy them all the time....great value and most of them are very well maintained.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 4:45:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Just a heads up, a guy over on Glock Talk has gen3 G19 LE trade ins. I think he has one left for $380 shipped. Search the classifieds.

Haven't recieved mine yet but supposedly they are as you would expect them to be and nothing in horrible shape. Just worn slides.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 3:51:54 PM EDT
[#43]
I've purchased 3 LE trade-ins now; 2 23's and a gen 2 22.  I've gotten very lucky as they all look to have very low round counts, and just holster and frame wear from  being carried.  I've also heard horror stories about trade-in guns, so it seems to be fairly hit or miss.  If you buy from a reputable dealer (or seller, if you're on GunBroker, where I've bought all of mine), then you should come out of the deal ahead. :)
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 9:10:06 AM EDT
[#44]
I have a G27 that I traded for that started life as a LEO backup.

Its my EDC. The thing is flawless, other than finish wear to the out side edges, purely cosmetic. It shoots flawlessly.

I am an M&P guy normally. But as soon as I shot this G, I fell in love with it.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 10:53:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Just received my 23 from AIM. Minimal wear on exterior frame. Small finish wear on slide from holster wear. Internals look newish. Came extremely greasy but will DTI it this weekend. Replacement parts are going to be RSA and most pins. Very happy with the condition of this gun from AIM.

S/F

Al
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 5:07:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Ive been looking.  Decided that yea the 17 or 19 would probably better suit me on the range I figured I would like the 19 or 23 more overall.  Buddy has a 19 and I fell in love with the size.  Shot it for the day and couldn't find anything not to like.  Might not excel on the range but would work great for a conceal carry gun or a night stand gun or a backpacking/hunting sidearm.

I don't want to open up a caliber debate.  But a local shop has a used Gen 3 G23 for an excellent price.  Everyone tells me to spend the extra coin on a gen 4.  Is it really worth in this case spending an extra $100+ for a gen 4 23?  Does it honestly have THAT much less "snap"?  

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:05:27 AM EDT
[#47]
No real difference in my opinion. I have Gen3 and Gen4 Glocks. If I had a choice, I would choose Gen4 but mainly because I like the dinner plate sized mag release...and that is about it. But I am a cheap bastard and so I lean towards the Gen3's based on price.  Aimsurplus had some Gen4 17 LE trade ins for about 48 hours. They were 400, great price. All gone now. Still wish I had the cash when they were available.  You can also try jgsales.com and many others for used LE trade ins.

If you found a Gen3 23 for a good price, and don't already have one. Buy it...they won't loose that much value and are always useful!
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:37:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I don't want to open up a caliber debate.  But a local shop has a used Gen 3 G23 for an excellent price.  Everyone tells me to spend the extra coin on a gen 4.  Is it really worth in this case spending an extra $100+ for a gen 4 23?  Does it honestly have THAT much less "snap"?  

View Quote

Depends.  The large beavertail backstrap makes the Gen 4 a winner for me.  The Gen 4 also has an oversized mag release and comes with an extra mag; you should factor this into the cost delta if you plan to add these to a Gen 3.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 11:32:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Well I found a gen 3 23 2 mags and different sights (not the normal half box sight) for $430 they may even negotiate a bit
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:26:17 PM EDT
[#50]
You are becoming a wise shopper!

Do I hear $400 OTD??? :)

AimSurplus has G23 for 349.95. +15 for shipping, and $20 transfer and you are at $385. Only comes with one mag though.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top