Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2014 10:47:13 AM EDT
For those that have Glocks for everyday carry and shoot them on a regular basis, do you clean your hand gun after every shooting session?  I tend to shoot my G20 on a regular basis and clean it after everyrange sesion, even if it is only 5-10 rounds.  I have heard some say just to get a second Glock like you carry one and shoot it as often as you want and not worry about the carry weapon.  My feeling is that all weapons are a little different, with no two shooting the same.  I would much rather shoot my carry gun, but I am concerned about cleaning it 'too often'!
What do other say/do?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:53:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Cleaning too often?  Huh?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:55:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree on practicing with what you carry.

Having said that.  I clean thoroughly after each range practice and wipe out the lint/dust every few weeks (if not going to the range).

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:16:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
For those that have Glocks for everyday carry and shoot them on a regular basis, do you clean your hand gun after every shooting session?  I tend to shoot my G20 on a regular basis and clean it after everyrange sesion, even if it is only 5-10 rounds.  I have heard some say just to get a second Glock like you carry one and shoot it as often as you want and not worry about the carry weapon.  My feeling is that all weapons are a little different, with no two shooting the same.  I would much rather shoot my carry gun, but I am concerned about cleaning it 'too often'!
What do other say/do?
View Quote

Always shoot your carry weapon, always clean your carry weapon after you shoot it.  Will the Glock work without a cleaning for a long period of time, you bet, would I take the chance, no way.  I know that my SD Glock will take a thousand rounds before cleaning, I am sure it will last much longer, but that was the most rounds I have fired through it without a cleaning.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:23:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Your gun your choice but people tend to overdo cleaning. My go to glock gets shot on e or twice a week and I clean once a month. You should always function test ( preferably by firing) a carry weapon after breaking it down so you would have a vicious cycle. If it works it works. Stripping it down repeatedly for hyper frequent cleanings doesn't do anything really. In tight fitted target guns it should be avoided but daily carries doesn't matter. I would especially avoid detail stripping. There is no end of threads that read "I detail stripped my pistol now it doesn't work"
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:03:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:40:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your gun your choice but people tend to overdo cleaning. My go to glock gets shot on e or twice a week and I clean once a month. You should always function test ( preferably by firing) a carry weapon after breaking it down so you would have a vicious cycle. If it works it works. Stripping it down repeatedly for hyper frequent cleanings doesn't do anything really. In tight fitted target guns it should be avoided but daily carries doesn't matter. I would especially avoid detail stripping. There is no end of threads that read "I detail stripped my pistol now it doesn't work"
View Quote

This is the practice I like to follow. Thoroughly clean and fire one mag to test function. Wipe down and bore snake and then carry. I only clean my EDC after every few range visits. Maybe 250-300 rounds.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:37:43 PM EDT
[#7]
No, I clean maybe every few hundred rounds. It's not finicky and doesn't have to be cleaned that often.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:49:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
No, I clean maybe every few hundred rounds. It's not finicky and doesn't have to be cleaned that often.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 4:01:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I started frog lubing my carry guns one being a g27.   I'll just wipe down the slide and re frog lube the barrel.    I typically only clean my AR by just re lubing with clp.  Never really clean my bolt gun.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 4:40:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I subscribe to this.  If the gun looks and feels gritty or the area I shot it in was dusty or wet I will do a quick clean but I don't get too crazy about most guns.

Even some of my nicer blued guns might just get a rag and oil wipe down before it goes back in the safe
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:43:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I have two G19s.  One is my carry piece, and the other is the backup.  

I'm doing an experiment - my carry gun is meticulously cleaned; I have yet to clean the other.  Both have operated without a single malfunction.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:37:17 PM EDT
[#12]
going to go without cleaning my 34 other than an external wipe with rag.

we shall see if it matters in a few thousand rounds
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:17:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I clean my Glock every 1000 rounds and lube before every session.  I shoot what I carry, but I do believe having duplicates is a good idea.  It spreads the round count out, if you shoot alot, and you will have an immediate replacement in case of failure, theft, or confiscation.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:40:18 PM EDT
[#14]
My comp glock went 2250 rounds before cleaning and still worked fine, but I had to detail strip for some upgrades and cleaned anyways.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:34:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Most people just clean so they don't have a dirty / oily gun rubbing against their holster and clothes.

Does it need it? Not really.

Then you run into the paradox of the test flight. Do you test your gun after cleaning. You took it apart - is it together right? Will it work? Test fire -  resulting in another dirty gun.....do you clean it?

I'm kinda a fan of if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:56:10 PM EDT
[#16]
I clean my carry gun (19) after each range session, but I know it is capable of running dirty, very dirty.

I know this because I only clean my G34 for major matches. Normally that's ~2500, but it's been 4000+ between cleanings.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:16:20 PM EDT
[#17]
I am surprised so many people roll with a dirty carry gun.  This is a really bad habit.  You have just given murphey an opportunity to introduce himself at a critical time.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:32:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Your gun your choice but people tend to overdo cleaning
View Quote

Yep. Those that clean it after a mag or 2 are overdoing it....A gun by design gets dirty. A Glock by design would not fail after firing 2 mags of ammo & letting it sit for weeks.
My range sessions are 100-120rds. Yeah I clean it afterwards but I don't go nuts. Takes all of 5 minutes from start to finish.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:30:23 AM EDT
[#19]
I use to be anal and clean my guns after every time I shot them, no more with the Glocks.  I clean and lube the gun I'm carrying after I shoot it.  The guns I practice with maybe every 3rd or 4th time to the range which is about every 1,000 rounds.  Never a malfunction!!
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:33:05 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm a little persnickety about working guns, duty or otherwise. Whether I fire 1 round or 200+, it's going to get cleaned. Gives me the opportunity to clean all the gunk out that collects from every day carry as well as inspect the weapon.

There is no such thing as cleaning to often unless your beating your barrel to death with a rod trying to get the last traces of copper fouling out.

I simply use some CLP, a rag, and a bore snake. Does it get every last bit of fouling out of the barrel? No, but what it leaves behind is self mitigating and not worth the effort or potential damage.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:39:16 PM EDT
[#21]
If your weapon is for protection, clean it before you shoot it, not after. That way, you know it will work. They won't rust easily and don't need to be cleaned that often anyway.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:54:36 PM EDT
[#22]
I clean and lube my Glocks every time I shoot them and sometimes between shooting sessions.  The only thing that I use is Breakfree CLP with soft rags and the Glock barrel brush.  You can clean this way a million times and that won't be to much.   It only takes about 10 minutes to clean and lubed a Glock if its dirty.

Remember...when you clean and lube your gun you should be inspecting it as well.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:37:19 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I am surprised so many people roll with a dirty carry gun.  This is a really bad habit.  You have just given murphey an opportunity to introduce himself at a critical time.
View Quote

How?

Exactly which part of ~200 rounds worth of powder residue mixed with gun lube would cause a Glock to malf when it otherwise would not?

Edit: I just put my G34 on my hip to carry it again today. It's got ~100 rounds worth of powder residue and CLP all over it.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:44:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Usually clean my Glock 27 24/7 ccw once a year around January, this year though it has been cleaned a few times in between. Mainly since I put in the (.) dot connector, recut the trigger bar angle, and polished the internals. Seems like (in my head) since its polished its more easily affected by dirt when I pull through the trigger.  I figured its because I never felt the grittiness with the heavy factory trigger setup.

My 27 was dirty used gun when I bought it so what I did was not add any more lube and then shoot 1400+ rounds through it without a problem, who knows how much is was shot before last owner did a cleaning. Its by far the most used Glock in my carry rotation and gets a ton of rolling around on garage floors, hiking, rain etc and looks as good as the day I bought it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:11:41 PM EDT
[#25]
I'v only cleaned mine once since i bought it.(complete tear down)   But after i shoot it, I tend to field strip and give it a good wipe.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:17:03 PM EDT
[#26]
I clean guns when I get really bored, they get wet/muddy, or start having cycling issues.
Boredom usually wins.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:17:25 PM EDT
[#27]
I subscribe to the camp that says that it needs cleaned after shooting.  All my carry guns are cleaned after shooting and, if something happens that I can't get to the range every month or so, then they get stripped, wiped down and relubed roughly monthly. I don't so anal that I clean if only have to shoot 1 or 2 rounds (like shooting a sick/injured animal with my PD duty gun), but they are regularly cleaned. I also don't get so anal that I detail strip it every cleaning, that only happens once a year, I just give them a decent cleaning job. No sense in giving the Demon Murphy any chances if you need your gun. I know they will run with thousands of rounds through them, but why take chances?

Bub75
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:35:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Thankls for all of the 'replies'!  The G20 that I carry gets cleaned after any time on the range.  There are times that I may only shoot 1-2 mags of ammo and then I will clean it when I get home.  I do have other Glocks that do not get cleaned after every range session and they seem to do just fine.  I try to shoot my carry gun at least once a week and if possible twice a week depending on my time.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:03:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I agree on practicing with what you carry.

Having said that.  I clean thoroughly after each range practice and wipe out the lint/dust every few weeks (if not going to the range).

View Quote

same here
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:25:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Wait a minute. You're suppose to clean Glocks?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:45:29 PM EDT
[#31]
I shoot my glocks a lot and clean about every 400-500 rounds.    I just doesn't need more.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:59:06 PM EDT
[#32]
It depends, if I have the time I clean right away. If not I am not too concerned with waiting a while. My experience with Glocks are they shoot well clean or dirty.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top