Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2014 6:07:11 PM EDT
I find that the Glock Slide release is pretty sensitive, I can't even run the extended version without it locking back with a full magazine. I shoot with a thumbs high grip, is there a super low profile slide stop, or at least one with a stronger spring? I shoot S&W M&P's now with no issues, but a Glock 41 is looking awfully tempting. Not looking forward to changing muscle memory.

Gen 4 with no backstrap feels the most comfortable, even though I have pretty big mitts.

Using the large back strap fixes this issue, but creates another problem. The grip feels like a dang 2 x 4. Any solutions? Whether aftermarket or DIY?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:07:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I had the same issue on a Glock 36. My solution was to trim the slide catch(it's not a release).

Worked great, still engaged easy when you wanted it to.

I don't have a problem with a Gen4 19 with no backstrap.

There is no muscle memory to change between a Glock and an M&P, it's all in your head. Use the fundamentals and it'll come out the same time every time.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:23:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:35:40 PM EDT
[#3]
It just requires tweaking your grip a little bit. I run vickers slide stops on all my glocks.

I used to have the same issue.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:29:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It just requires tweaking your grip a little bit. I run vickers slide stops on all my glocks.

I used to have the same issue.
View Quote

Just experienced this yesterday. Took my G26 with new vickers extended release out to the range and the slide would not lock back. I was confused and started wondering what was going on with the gun, then I realised my thumbs were riding the slide stop.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:23:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn't mess with your grip. Mine does the same thing occasionally due to my high grip. I will sacrifice the slide locking back every time for better recoil management. If you need to have it lock back every time get stronger magazine springs.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:56:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I wouldn't mess with your grip. Mine does the same thing occasionally due to my high grip. I will sacrifice the slide locking back every time for better recoil management. If you need to have it lock back every time get stronger magazine springs.
View Quote

As a range gun, sure.  As a SD gun, unacceptable.

OP, you've got to work on that grip, period.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:51:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As long as it's not locking the slide back prematurely, not a big deal.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:57:29 PM EDT
[#8]
You could also try the "bullet forward" slide stop from Ghost inc.
It's an extended slide stop that has the pad towards the front of the gun. It may rest more towards the gap between your hands. It was designed for lefties, but I find it's in a pretty good position for a high hand grip.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:37:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the comments, and the Ghost Bullet Forward is just what I was looking for. Also honestly I'd rather not have to change my grip too much.

This feels very natural, comfortable, and manages recoil nicely.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top