Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2014 3:10:28 PM EDT
Trying to determine if its cheaper to pay someone to put whatever new sights I get on my G26 or buy the tools and do it myself. I know there are many companys who make the front sight / hex tool and rear pushers. is it possible to get a pair good enough to do the job 2-3 times (for when i buy more glocks) for under $50? Do i need a bench / vice to secure the slide when using the rear pusher tool or can I just take the slide off, sit it down on my bed and do it?

Any members rent the tools out?

Thanks for any help
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 3:25:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Front tool is <$10. For the rear I just use a brass punch. Easy...
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:17:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:24:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks......I ordered a whia 3/16 tool for the front sight. For the rear, I dont have a vice or anything to secure the slide to use a punch. May just invest in the tool unless someone will rent me one
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:39:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thanks......I ordered a whia 3/16 tool for the front sight. For the rear, I dont have a vice or anything to secure the slide to use a punch. May just invest in the tool unless someone will rent me one
View Quote

You don't need a vise.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:24:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I have installed all the sights on all my Glocks without a pusher.  My observations, all the rear sights I have installed have set screws (Novak, 10-8, Heinie, Dawson Precision and XS).  All were plain and did not have tritium, and drifted in with some smart hammering on a derlin or brass punch.  Some required minor filing on the sights dove tail.  The synthetic punches can do an OK job, but are too soft and give too much unless you want to bang on the sight like the monkey swinging the bone at the beginning of 2001 a Space Odyssey.  I won't use this method on any night sight or rear sight without a set screw.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:04:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

+1
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Plus another.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:47:52 AM EDT
[#7]
My local fun store installs sights for free if you buy the sights from them. That might be ab option depending on were you plan to buy from.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:47:03 AM EDT
[#8]
If you want to install night sights, buy Aero-Tech sights.  They use Trijicon vials and are set using two small allen head screws.  No sight pusher needed.  I've installed them on all my Glocks.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:14:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I cracked vials on two rear sights using a drift punch. You won't even be able to tell you damaged the sight until they are dark the next day. I don't recommend it.  OP is correct in trying to get the right tool for the job.  

Just buy the correct pusher.  You can always sell it later and if you keep it long enough, inflation will allow you to sell it for what you paid.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:39:46 PM EDT
[#10]
MGW sight pusher and a good front sight tool is a solid investment.

You'll have it for life.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:52:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought and use a pusher to install and adjust sight.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:45:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Stopped in at Top Gun Supply today. Picked up Ameriglo Night Sight for $86.00 and a front sight tool for under $10.00. I use a hard wood block and small hammer to tap the rear in place. I've done this to 4 Glocks in the past with no problems. Holding the slide securely in a vice is the key to installing the rear sight. Very easy.  Other dealer wanted $180.00 for the sights, another at $125.00 +$50.00 for install.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:59:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You'll have it for life.
View Quote

This. I have had an MGW tool for almost a decade, it's paid for itself 10 times over.

They also make really nice short shifters.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:45:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Stopped in at Top Gun Supply today. Picked up Ameriglo Night Sight for $86.00 and a front sight tool for under $10.00. I use a hard wood block and small hammer to tap the rear in place. I've done this to 4 Glocks in the past with no problems. Holding the slide securely in a vice is the key to installing the rear sight. Very easy.  Other dealer wanted $180.00 for the sights, another at $125.00 +$50.00 for install.
View Quote

Glock sells night sights for approx $60 with free installation.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:57:44 AM EDT
[#15]
You can buy a cheap rear sight pusher off Ebay

This is the one I used to adjust my rear TruGlo sights.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:57:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

yep.  No need for an expensive sight pusher.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:51:50 PM EDT
[#17]
You can send your slide to Glock and they will install Glock night sights for $57 including shipping. I sent them all of my slides. Can't beat this deal, I wish other companies would do it, for anywhere near the price.

Just fill out this form and mail it to them with your slide. No need to call or anything. You will get your slide back in about 10 days.

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 10:39:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Dawson has a good video on the process here

You don't have to have a sight pusher, but it makes it MUCH easier.

My vote - either drop the coin on a pusher or pay to have it done.  I installed my Dawson sights without using a pusher and managed to idiot mark the rear.  Then, POA/POI was off and making small, precise adjustments was not easy and I ended up buying the MGW tool anyway.

My 2 cents.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 11:48:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Dawson has a good video on the process here

You don't have to have a sight pusher, but it makes it MUCH easier.

My vote - either drop the coin on a pusher or pay to have it done.  I installed my Dawson sights without using a pusher and managed to idiot mark the rear.  Then, POA/POI was off and making small, precise adjustments was not easy and I ended up buying the MGW tool anyway.

My 2 cents.
View Quote

This is the biggest reason to have a sight tool/pusher. Mine stays in my range bag.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:59:57 AM EDT
[#20]
I bought the funky tool to replace the rear sights....and I'm glad I did.

Used it several times so far.

I lent it out to my training partner and he got some use out of it too.

That whole "use a punch" thing might be great advice for some, but I knew it wasn't for me.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 6:11:49 AM EDT
[#21]
I just replaced the sights on my G41...
Used a small hammer and a small plastic punch on the rear..no vise either
I have the tool for the front sight..
It worked out just fine, Been doing it like that for years...
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 10:11:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My local fun store installs sights for free if you buy the sights from them. That might be ab option depending on were you plan to buy from.
View Quote

same
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 5:11:03 PM EDT
[#23]
I got a different installer than this one from the same guy
sight pusher

I got This one

ETA: I was going to quote vengence6661,
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:46:33 PM EDT
[#24]
This

Quoted:

You'll have it for life.
View Quote

If you hang out around here, you'll end up with a plethora of Glocks. I've done sights for a couple of my friends too.

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:36:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You can buy a cheap rear sight pusher off Ebay

This is the one I used to adjust my rear TruGlo sights.
View Quote

Yep, I used that ebay pusher for the rear sight, and a Wiha 3/16 nut driver (26547) for the front. The Wiha gives you better leverage and length for slides such as Glock 34,35 and 41 where you have to go through that hole in the front to get to the screw.

$30 for the rear tool.
$8.28 for the Wiha 3/16 nut driver on Amazon.

I chose the $30 ebay tool over the MGW because the ebay tool can do other guns as well, not just Glocks... and it's cheaper. I've used to twice now on Glocks with good results.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top