Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2014 2:33:39 PM EDT
So I never really cared for Glocks...ever...wrote 'em off completely. I've shot my best friends G27 and just couldn't get into the thing. Shot another friends G21 and couldn't get comfy with it...So I've been totally happy with my TRP, P229 and XD45.

Walked into my LGS today and he's uboxing a new, Gen 3 Glock 19 in the Full FDE finish (slide and frame). Something about it drew me in. I dig the FDE finish, it felt good in my hand (way better then the 27 or 21), and it just spoke to me. I liked the overall size. The FDE finish was pretty cool as well...

I think he said it was $550

So what do I need to know? Good price? Seems fair according to my limited google-fu. How does the FDE finish hold up on the slides of these? It looked nice and even, matched the frame better than most coated pistols I've checked out. Am I missing anything getting a Gen 3 over a Gen 4? (again, doesn't seem like a huge deal according to google)

Cheers yall! Thanks for any and all advice.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 2:41:34 PM EDT
[#1]
id say get it if you like the color. Some people have said lighter polymers are weaker, but how much stress is the frame really under anyway? Cheapest gen 3's I have seen are 499 online, factor in shipping and transfer and its 550. At least you don't have to wait for it to ship!
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 3:19:07 PM EDT
[#2]
where in pa?
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 4:02:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
id say get it if you like the color. Some people have said lighter polymers are weaker, but how much stress is the frame really under anyway? Cheapest gen 3's I have seen are 499 online, factor in shipping and transfer and its 550. At least you don't have to wait for it to ship!
View Quote

FWIW the frame flexes with every round fired however, Glock's are good to go IMHO so I say go for it bro.  Edited to add content.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 6:10:03 PM EDT
[#4]
The only reason IMO to go Gen 4 is if you are left handed and want the mag release set up that way, or if you have freakishly big hands. As for the price, $500 is about normal tag price on a black gen 3 where I live, at a gun show you may be able to get for around $485 or so. YMMV in your area. Maybe the FDE ones cost more, I don't know.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 6:59:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The only reason IMO to go Gen 4 is if you are left handed and want the mag release set up that way, or if you have freakishly big hands. As for the price, $500 is about normal tag price on a black gen 3 where I live, at a gun show you may be able to get for around $485 or so. YMMV in your area. Maybe the FDE ones cost more, I don't know.
View Quote

Was told the FDE runs a bit more because of the FDE coating on the slide. The ones with a black slide and colored frame are the same price as all black.

Told him to put a hold on it for me until I can get back out to see it again...

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 7:11:19 PM EDT
[#6]
The all FDE "factory" Glocks are exclusives made by Lipseys. I have one of their Gen 4 G20's. The slide is Cerakoted and mine has held up well enough. I don't notice any excessive wear anywhere on it, but I don't holster and carry it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:21:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Finish is GTG. I too prefer the Gen 3 , don't like the bigger mag release. As for it fitting your hand better I get this a lot with my students. G26/27 is to stubby and the 21 is a big frame . 19/23 is usually the best compromise. That being said I like the full size 17/22/21/41.. Were all a little different their.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:15:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I also really like the color of the slide, but am also curious as to how well it holds up to numerous holsters/draws.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:22:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I LOVE how GLOCK is ALL preference, gen 1, 2, 3, 4. FDE, Custom, Black, Stock, Size, Caliber< It's ALL what you want and the great thing is they ALL go BOOM!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:56:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Threw a monkey wrench in the works - yesterday he pulled out a Gen4 17 - also all FDE.....now I don't know which one I like better...

...and don't tell me to get both. Not an option. But I wish it was...
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:50:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Threw a monkey wrench in the works - yesterday he pulled out a Gen4 17 - also all FDE.....now I don't know which one I like better...

View Quote

Any opinions as to which one? This will be my first glock. Both are full FDE. Both brand new. I think I would enjoy either.

17 Gen 4 - $575
19 Gen 3 - $550

The 19 seems more versatile should I choose to CC, I like the handle texture better, and it was my gut feeling. But I really like the longer barrel and additional capacity of the 17. Plus the 19 is almost too similar in size to my xd45 compact. I don't have another full-size 9mm. Only full-size gun handgun I own is my TRP.

The main purposes for this gun will be for the range, home defense, train my wife to shoot, and will most likely live in my Bug Out Bag.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:36:05 PM EDT
[#12]

My only use for a 17 is dedicated home defense gun with extended magazine and X300.  It also gets used during classing and training with a dedicated gun belt.

The G19 is the most versatile pistol on the market IMHO.  Once you get it you might find those other guns sitting in the safe a lot more....
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:05:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

if you can only get one, get the 19.  OR  chop the 17 to take 19 mags (but this is harder if you don't have a 19 around for making the measurements.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:16:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Any opinions as to which one? This will be my first glock. Both are full FDE. Both brand new. I think I would enjoy either.

17 Gen 4 - $575
19 Gen 3 - $550

The 19 seems more versatile should I choose to CC, I like the handle texture better, and it was my gut feeling. But I really like the longer barrel and additional capacity of the 17. Plus the 19 is almost too similar in size to my xd45 compact. I don't have another full-size 9mm. Only full-size gun handgun I own is my TRP.

The main purposes for this gun will be for the range, home defense, train my wife to shoot, and will most likely live in my Bug Out Bag.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

17 Gen 4 - $575
19 Gen 3 - $550

If you plan to conceal carry, 19.
If you plan to open carry, 17.

I actually prefer the 17 for shooting, but the 19 is easier to conceal.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:15:57 AM EDT
[#15]
I think I'm leaning more towards the 17 at this point.

It'll primarily be a range gun, possibly moving to the night stand and / or bugout bag. Not a huge concealed carry person (gasp!) But when I do I already have 2 that fit that bill.

Who knows. If I really like it I'll probably end up owning both someday. I hear that's how it goes with these...

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:43:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Gen 4 Glocks are the best. I really like the texturing, magazine release, and the dual recoil spring.

That being said, I have a Gen3 G19 now but a Gen4 is on the list.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:43:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Sorry I never got around to updating the thread but here it is!

Picked up the G17 after all. Really like it. Ive put about 100rnds through it so far. It functioned flawlessly and I shot fairly well with it. I'm still more accurate with my SIG, but I have 1k rounds through that and less than 200 through glocks...but I like it and I'm confident itll get better.

Already have some Trijicon HD sights I'm waiting to get put on.

The x300u is great and matches a little better with the slide than the picture shows...

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:51:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice gun and light.  Congrats.  Good decision.

Corey
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:22:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice looking gun.

Mine's not all factory FDE, but I like it:

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:07:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Sorry I never got around to updating the thread but here it is!

Picked up the G17 after all. Really like it. Ive put about 100rnds through it so far. It functioned flawlessly and I shot fairly well with it. I'm still more accurate with my SIG, but I have 1k rounds through that and less than 200 through glocks...but I like it and I'm confident itll get better.

Already have some Trijicon HD sights I'm waiting to get put on.

The x300u is great and matches a little better with the slide than the picture shows...

<a href="http://s804.photobucket.com/user/bwall85/media/20141024_212331_zpschvnl45n.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy321/bwall85/20141024_212331_zpschvnl45n.jpg</a>
View Quote

Great looking 17. How is the finish on the slide holding up?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:20:52 PM EDT
[#21]
I have the same configuration, Gen3 though in black. That color looks really nice !

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:40:49 PM EDT
[#22]
hot shit
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:12:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Only put maybe 200rnds through it so far. Looks great! The muzzle area gets dirty looking quickly but I don't mind and its to be expected.

The nice thing is the inside Of the slide is finished in FDE as well and even with the wear from internal surfaces there's no chipping or scratching.

GTG. Just need to get it back from having some Trijicon HDs installed
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:37:25 AM EDT
[#24]
It's sweet to be sure, but the 19 is the Glock to have or be on the short list of what to get. There really isn't anything the 17 can do that the 19 can't. The perfect combo is the 19 and the 34, then again you could get a 34 upper to put on the frame of the 17 since they're the same. The 19 is just a perfect little gun, and the 34 is a perfect big gun.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:44:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It's sweet to be sure, but the 19 is the Glock to have or be on the short list of what to get. There really isn't anything the 17 can do that the 19 can't. The perfect combo is the 19 and the 34, then again you could get a 34 upper to put on the frame of the 17 since they're the same. The 19 is just a perfect little gun, and the 34 is a perfect big gun.

View Quote

Well for those who told me glocks multiply they're correct.

On top of the 17 I've also acquired a G30S and I'm on the list for one of the new Vickers RTF2 19's

Thanks a lot Glock....
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:06:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

On top of the 17 I've also acquired a G30S and I'm on the list for one of the new Vickers RTF2 19's

Thanks a lot Glock....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks a lot Glock....

Where in PA are you located. What shop has these?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:29:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks a lot Glock....

The one I emailed and said "you should get one of the 19s in so I can check it out and buy it"

I don't know of any local shops just having one in stock.

I emailed them the day they were announced, they're a lipseys dealer (where I got the fde 17) and this was the first one he could get.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top