Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2014 3:10:05 PM EDT
I have been shooting USPSA competitively for 8 months now sometimes with a Glock 35 and sometimes with a Glock 19.  I've long wanted a G34 with which to compete in Production Division.  So I ordered one and picked it up yesterday.

Nothing special, a Gen4 Blue Label with 5.5 connector.  $507.  You can be competitive with a stock gun, because skills will always > gear.  However:

There were specific mods I wanted to make it more ideal for competition, but I'm limited to mods which are Production legal.  Thus, I settled on modest mods to the trigger, sights, and guiderod.  After much research, I decided to go with a DK Custom Trigger basic kit, Taran Tactical Innovations sights, and Jager steel captured guiderod with ISMI 13# recoil spring.

The DK BASIC KIT includes:

DK Custom modified Smooth Faced Trigger with Trigger Bar

Custom "Tuned" Connector

DK Custom Modified Safety Plunger with tuned spring

Trigger Housingwith  caliber specific ejector

Trigger Return Spring

SS Trigger Housing Pin

4lb Striker Spring

4.5lb Striker Spring (Silver Color On One End)

Adjustment Wrench

The Trigger Group comes lubricated, assembled and ready to install.

My understanding is that DK uses a lot of factory trigger parts but tweaks and machines them to his specs.

I like this trigger.  I installed it without messing with any of the settings.  I used the 4.5# striker spring in lieu of the 4# for the sake of reliability.

It has about half the takeup of the factory trigger and is about half as heavy (pull) as the factory trigger with 5.5 connector.  There is a definite "wall" before breaking point, which I like.  It's a little spongy if you very slowly stage the trigger, but if you're moving quickly the sponge disappears and pull becomes silky smooth.  Break is clean with short and strong reset.  I didn't test any splits yet, but I can only envision them improving with this trigger.  

It's a distinctively "Glockish" trigger, with all the trademark characteristics- just better.  Loads better.  You won't have to relearn anything.

I'm pleased with the purchase, and feel it was a good value for what I got.

I have these on my G35 already, so I knew how badass they are.  Perfect for competition.  Not much more needs to be said.

This combo comes highly recommended by tons of shooters for reliability and why mess with success?

This mod is probably the lowest return on value of the group,  but theoretically it will reduce recoil due to the factory spring assembly being oversprung for the low powerfactor loads we production shooters fire in our guns.  I've read that Glock factory recoil spring assemblies are optimized for the high power +P loads shot by European law enforcement agencies.

Range Report:

After installation of the various parts I took it out the the backyard and fired roughly 150 rounds with zero problems.  I'm excited to wring it out in competition;  I feel like I've got a good setup for years to come and it should take me to Master class and beyond if I do my part.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 3:13:46 PM EDT
[#1]
The only thing I neglected to mention is that the finish on this gun is garbage.

I don't give a shit because dryfire is going to take the finish off any gun I use for competition, and I kinda like that you can tell my gun gets used and abused- but yeah, recent reports that Austrian gen4 finishes are doo-doo is 100% accurate.

Of interesting note, my USA made G19 has the best finish of any Glock I've owned.  So tough and glossy.  So who knows what's going on with Glock.

Pics to follow when I get home.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:15:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:50:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Better late than never with the pics.

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 3:47:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

That finish is both darker and more of a matte finish than my Gen4. Mine is more of a smooth glossy grey that some have compared to a new teflon coated frying pan. There are complaints that my finish is not durable as well.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 4:00:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice. I have been thinking about doing some shooting comps. What organization do you shoot with?
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 4:04:00 PM EDT
[#6]
For those that want to shoot their carry gun with carry holster and mag pouches production class is great.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 4:39:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Nice. I have been thinking about doing some shooting comps. What organization do you shoot with?
View Quote

Not sure what you mean.

USPSA is the sanctioning body.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 4:41:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

For those that want to shoot their carry gun with carry holster and mag pouches production class is great.
View Quote

If you intended to use your carry setup, I'd actually recommend limited (minor).

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 5:09:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If you intended to use your carry setup, I'd actually recommend limited (minor).

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ive done both. Production from here on out for me.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 5:23:09 PM EDT
[#10]
This thread interests me
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 6:41:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Doesn't sound very "Production" to me.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 7:51:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

As long as it complies with the rules its "production"

It is silly you cant put a slip on rubber hogue grip on a Gen 2 Glock in production but you can install a aftermarket trigger kit.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 8:37:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:46:51 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote

I don't make the rules, boss.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:48:00 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

It makes sense why they allow internal modifications but not external.    They would have to tear guns apart to check for compliance if they banned internal modifications, which I'm sure is probably the only reason they don't do that.   External is easy to see, therefore easy to enforce.  

I suppose if you want to spend your money on a marginally better trigger, more power to you.

I spent the money on these instead of parts:

http://www.benstoegerproshop.com/v/vspfiles/photos/Book-Combo-2T.jpg

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/1554453_398648516942134_3048747703204845501_n.jpg?oh=ccd640f93a1ba1c59ba62b9a3aa2867f&oe=548643E1
View Quote

I got both.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 2:06:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Interesting. I may order that guide rod and an ismi spring for my gen 4 17. What weight spring do you think for standard pressure factory loads? I generally shoot 147g federal american eagle when I can. 124g speer lawman when I can't get that.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 2:53:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Interesting. I may order that guide rod and an ismi spring for my gen 4 17. What weight spring do you think for standard pressure factory loads? I generally shoot 147g federal american eagle when I can. 124g speer lawman when I can't get that.
View Quote

Try the 15#

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 3:22:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Try the 15#

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try the 15#

Is 17 lbs stock?
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 3:30:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Your mods are right on for production.  My 34/35s are setup very similar except I use the Warren Sevigny sights instead of TTI.  The #13 captured on the 34 and the #15 captured on the 35 with weak basic loads will reliably cycle and take out a lot of recoil.  The DK kit is a awesome trigger and value can set pretravel and overtravel to a minimum.  I'm using the 4 lb striker spring with aftermarket Zev and LoneWolf Strikers.  I am using the grip force adaptor (which gives you a beavertail and a traditional grip angle and the hogue slip on grips I'm shooting the 34 in USPSA 3-gun and the 35 in USPSA limited where these are legal, but generally they would slide in local type matches for production, and the ALG Magwells on some of mine.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 3:50:30 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Is 17 lbs stock?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Try the 15#

Is 17 lbs stock?

I believe the stock assembly is 17#
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 4:34:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Re:  the finish-  I've had this gun 23 days.  Granted, I dry fire daily; but this is a little silly.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:23:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:44:48 PM EDT
[#23]

You know you want to try limited division

just kidding.

I would not worry about the finish.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:33:28 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/1911/IMGP4267.jpg

just kidding.

View Quote

Stop it.  I'm trying to avoid the 2011 disease as long as possible.

I'm not worried about it, I like that you can tell I use my guns.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:29:09 PM EDT
[#25]
That finish wear is not normal, even for the newer finish.  What holster are you using?  You could contact Glock and see what they say.  My 34 Gen 4 looks nothing like that after using it in Production for the past year; it only has the slightest bit of finish wear on one spot around the muzzle.

I'm picking up a 35 Gen 4 soon to start shooting Limited.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 4:14:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Using a Blade-Tech Black Ice Kydex holster
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:33:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:22:26 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

What does it look like when you wipe it off with an oily cloth?

I had what I thought was finish wear that turned out to be the plastic wearing off of the holster and sticking to the slide.   Once it wiped off it looked just fine, though yours certainly looks like it wore completely through the black finish.
View Quote

Some of it is a build-up of kydex, but when I wipe it off I can see bare metal.

Truly not a big deal for my purposes but some may feel otherwise.  

Look for the glossy "frying pan" finish if you're in the market for a new Glock.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:40:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/derek45/media/1911/IMGP4267.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/1911/IMGP4267.jpg</a>

just kidding.

View Quote

Nah, he needs to try Open!

I tried Production, but with my CZ, I hated having to put the hammer down on a live round.  So, I tried Limited 10 with my CZ97.  Ass whooping.  So, setup the CZ75 SP01 in Limited.  D Class and even more of an ass whopping versus basically Open guns without comps and optics. So, I splurged on Tanfoglio Gold Custom Open, C-More optic, in a Safariland 014 on an ELS rig.  C Class, and the classifiers was the second time I ever shot the gun!  I love Open!
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:41:03 AM EDT
[#30]
My 34 is worn in the same places, but not quite as bad...which is surprising since it belonged to Frank Proctor before me. He uses his guns a little more than I do...
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:53:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:53:53 AM EDT
[#32]
I've always sent my IPSC pistols to get hard-chromed
makes them easy to clean, and the finish seems to last forever

Either METALIFE or TRIPP when he was doing it.

http://www.mahovskysmetalife.com/Metalife%20Finish%20Page%202.htm

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:23:17 AM EDT
[#33]
What do you recommend for magazine extensions?  In looking to setup my 17L for the limited division.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 5:22:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:33:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I have two of the Taylor Freelance extensions, with nothing bad to say about either of them.  I bought them used and they have been dropped numerous times.
View Quote

Taylor and Dawson  make really good kit.

I chose the Dawson over the Taylor because the Dawson was quite a bit heavier and that seemed to me to pull them out better.  As far as function I would say they are equal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top