Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2014 7:20:55 PM EDT
When I purchased my 19 way, way back in '96, it came with an orange magazine. Anyone know what the reason was behind the color?
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:23:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
When I purchased my 19 way, way back in '96, it came with an orange magazine. Anyone know what the reason was behind the color?
View Quote

Yeah, it is for law enforcement use only you can't have it. Send me your address and I'll send you a black civilian legal magazine for it.

Seriously it is for training purposes. It should be fully functional.

I would buy it if you consider selling or trading.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:08:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Seriously it is for training purposes. It should be fully functional.
View Quote

Totally serious question - why mold the thing in bright orange then make it fully functional? Seems like it would be easier to just use...you know...a normal mag?
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:45:00 PM EDT
[#3]
i just got three G17 ones for paying for a buddies beer and tacos the other night at dinner.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:50:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one as well and yes it functions fully in my G19

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:58:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:12:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The whole magazine or just the baseplate?

I've never seen the whole mag orange.   I bought some of the orange baseplates to differentiate between my .40 and 9mm mags.
View Quote

The whole damn thing is orange.

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:39:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:59:39 PM EDT
[#8]
The idea of the training mags was a range officer could see at a glance from a distance if a student had a mag in the gun. At first they made full orange mags then later on decided that an orange base plate performed the same function and discontinued the orange mags. Back when we were still legally allowed pre ban mags in New York the orange ones were popular I had quite a few of them
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 11:04:08 PM EDT
[#9]
As stated above, they were made as "training mags", but function the same as regular mags.  I also have some of those old, all orange NFML G19 mags laying around somewhere.  Glock used to sell them at GSSF matches back during the ban.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:33:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
i just got three G17 ones for paying for a buddies beer and tacos the other night at dinner.
View Quote

Seems like a win/win deal to me!
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 3:23:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Cool. Never seen an entire orange mag before, only the baseplate.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:13:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
 Glock used to sell them at GSSF matches back during the ban.
View Quote

Yep. I had a few for the G23 and G20. They were a steal at $50 ea, when going price for black "hi cap" mags was $80 for the 23, and $120 for the 20.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:23:17 PM EDT
[#13]
What are these worth?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:07:36 PM EDT
[#14]
How much money do you have?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 3:59:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Training........why would you need to have an orange mag, I mean what kind of training
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 5:37:57 PM EDT
[#16]
sold mine a couple years ago

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:47:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Training........why would you need to have an orange mag, I mean what kind of training
View Quote

A lot of PDs require you to show clear when the course of fire is over. As in, mag out, slide locked back. With the orange mag (and the later orange base plate), the RO can tell just at a glance that there is no mag in the gun. When you go are done training, you give them back the orange mags and get your original mags back. Also works out very well when training newbie cops, most of whom have never even held a gun in their lives, let alone shot one.

Bub75
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:46:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

A lot of PDs require you to show clear when the course of fire is over. As in, mag out, slide locked back. With the orange mag (and the later orange base plate), the RO can tell just at a glance that there is no mag in the gun. When you go are done training, you give them back the orange mags and get your original mags back. Also works out very well when training newbie cops, most of whom have never even held a gun in their lives, let alone shot one.

Bub75
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bub75

Interesting. Hadn't thought of that.

The only thing I thought of is orange mags would be a lot easier to find after a moving drill than black ones.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:31:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The only thing I thought of is orange mags would be a lot easier to find after a moving drill than black ones.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bub75

Just lost a G17 17rd mag in a dark indoor range while training. Tell me about glow in the dark mags and i'll be all ears!
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 1:08:07 AM EDT
[#20]

Orange mags are boring.  

Seriously though Glock used to give them away at GSSF matches.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 12:02:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s3.photobucket.com/user/762minigun/media/081.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y51/762minigun/081.jpg</a>

Orange mags are boring.  

View Quote

Yeah yeah, rub it in.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 10:14:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s3.photobucket.com/user/762minigun/media/081.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y51/762minigun/081.jpg</a>

Orange mags are boring.  

View Quote

The + floor plates something special?
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 10:39:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Orange mags are boring.  

Notice anything else?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top