Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/25/2014 12:16:48 PM EDT
There's lots of chatter about new pistols from other companies. For example, the Walther PPQ and the H&K VP9. While other companies are rapidly updating their pistols with complete ambi controls, better stock sights, better grips, etc, GLOCK largely stays the same.

At what point will GLOCK feel a need to modernize their features? Are they at a risk of becoming stale/boring? How many more years until they give in and start offering features such as front serrations? With nothing new to offer, how long can they maintain their position? What would the GLOCK response be if U.S. PDs start overwhelmingly going with the VP9 or something simliar?

Note- In the GD VP9 thread, I openly critize GLOCK's slow updates. I started this thread because I'm guinely curious about their upcoming strategies (new marketing? new pistols?) and another GD thread would be a circus. I was hoping to see a serious discussion from GLOCK fans about where they see their favorite company going in the market. If this seems too general to be in a tech forum I'll request it locked, but I was hoping to see serious information of how GLOCK will continue to compete with their rapidly changing competition.

So, what's next?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 12:21:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Are Glocks not selling?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 12:22:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are Glocks not selling?
View Quote

Not to me they ain't!
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 12:22:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Why should they make big changes for us? The rest of their customers in the world are pleased with them I'm sure.I'm glass they change as much as they do. Too many changes, it's no longer the same gun customers buy millions of.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 12:24:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 12:26:19 PM EDT
[#5]
They don't even have the full line available in Gen 4 yet.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 12:26:21 PM EDT
[#6]
The G42 is wildly sucessfull. The G30S is a hit. You can chose between Gen3 and Gen4 for several models.

I dont think they need to change a thing until sales slump.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 12:30:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 12:45:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I would really like to see a 10mm version of the 41.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 1:01:14 PM EDT
[#9]
What;'s next ?

Hopefully

Steel sights
upgrade there trigger weight and pull and catch up to Walther and HK
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 1:04:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 1:09:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Are Glocks not selling?
View Quote

They absolutely are great sellers. I'm just wondering what their responses will be now that we're seeing the competition rapidly advancing in features while GLOCK has stuck to the basics.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 1:10:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The G42 is wildly sucessfull. The G30S is a hit. You can chose between Gen3 and Gen4 for several models.

I dont think they need to change a thing until sales slump.
View Quote

You're right. They shouldn't. My question is what they will likely do when that slump does eventually happen.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 1:53:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Why fix what is not broken?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 1:54:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Seems to me they are scrambling to catch up to Glock

Isn't the VP9 just that a Glock knockoff?

Legit question I have never seen or disassembled one

I would like Glock to enlarge the trigger guard. Using gloves with Glocks is difficult for me and
Better sights

And the unicorn. Single stack 9.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:00:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
There's lots of chatter about new pistols from other companies. For example, the Walther PPQ and the H&K VP9. While other companies are rapidly updating their pistols with complete ambi controls, better stock sights, better grips, etc, GLOCK largely stays the same.

At what point will GLOCK feel a need to modernize their features? Are they at a risk of becoming stale/boring? How many more years until they give in and start offering features such as front serrations? With nothing new to offer, how long can they maintain their position? What would the GLOCK response be if U.S. PDs start overwhelmingly going with the VP9 or something simliar?

Note- In the GD VP9 thread, I openly critize GLOCK's slow updates. I started this thread because I'm guinely curious about their upcoming strategies (new marketing? new pistols?) and another GD thread would be a circus. I was hoping to see a serious discussion from GLOCK fans about where they see their favorite company going in the market. If this seems too general to be in a tech forum I'll request it locked, but I was hoping to see serious information of how GLOCK will continue to compete with their rapidly changing competition.

So, what's next?
View Quote

I don't think you will see anything major from them. Their strength is their weakness. If they change the magazine release so that it is ambidextrous and it necessitates a new magazine design, then you lose your ability to use all of the mountains of Glock mags already in the wild. Same thing with after market parts, etc. A major change to their design would be a big financial risk. They are better off taking a hit on some sells than paying the development and production cost of something very different that may not sell well.

It's not like they are exactly hurting. I just don't see them taking a big risk. You have companies like SIG that are making new pistol designs, pistol carbines, and rifles. Sure some of them flop or have a rocky start up, but that is part of trying to innovate.

I love my Glocks, they do what I want them to, but Glock sells Glock handguns the end. Don't see that changing.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:11:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Considering Glock still holds a huge market share in both LE and commercial sales, why should they change. I've owned both the PPQ and VP9 and there's only minor improvements in some areas but not enough to make that much of a difference to me. I will stick with Glocks.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:24:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Glock needs to do a carbine with an ar15 base and a single stack g26. Plain and simple.

Gaston says FOAD to all of us Americans and our wants/needs...

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 3:06:52 PM EDT
[#18]
To me a Glock is no different than a High point pistol.

1. both look pretty much the same as the day they came out
2. both work well
3. each has a fan base that either loves or hates them

besides functionality i like style, and its like waiting for the next gen iPhone and then getting
basically the same product.

I would love to see them do something completely different, no bullshit, like a 1911

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 3:08:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Glock needs to do a carbine with an ar15 base and a single stack g26. Plain and simple.

Gaston says FOAD to all of us Americans and our wants/needs...
View Quote

EXACTLY,
something different.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:12:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Hopefully just good prices.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:25:43 PM EDT
[#21]
What's Next?

A .380 carbine of course.

Have all you guys been asleep this entire time?  
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:39:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Are Glocks not selling?
View Quote

No...Glocks are not, not selling.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:41:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Are Glocks not selling?
View Quote

my thoughts exactly......to make it short, why change what works and has been selling?

if you havent noticed a bunch of companies have made glock clones in the past 5 years or so...
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:50:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Shot Show 2016, single stack 9mm.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:47:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Single stack 9mm with same dimensions as the 42. Maybe I'll buy that, otherwise they're just fueling the cult.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:08:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

my thoughts exactly......to make it short, why change what works and has been selling?

if you havent noticed a bunch of companies have made glock clones in the past 5 years or so...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are Glocks not selling?

In what way, though are they clones? From simply being polymer and striker-fired? No much else similar any more for features. It's starting to seem to me that they're starting to get passed in the game they helped create.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:05:20 AM EDT
[#27]
The only improvements I could see is offering a Paddle mag release and easier take down like the PPQ. But that could easily get into a lawsuit

In fact theres not a whole lot they can do without getting into a lawsuit
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:11:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Single Stack 9 is a must. Really, Glocks aren't about whiz-bang excitement - they're about reliability and simplicity. That's their appeal. I have 10 Glocks, and they all function in about the same manner. I can pick any one of them up, blindfolded, and break it down in a heartbeat. The triggers and actions work consistently, across the whole line. The grip and feel is similar, even accounting for dramatic differences between size in say my G20 and G42... there is still much about them that's consistent. They are tools. I don't buy them because they are exciting or even interesting. I buy them because the are simple and they work.

Also love my Sigs, and have 5 of them, but those are marvels. I enjoy the subtle differences between my DAK, SA/DA, and SRT triggers. After I shoot my Sigs, I enjoy breaking them down and cleaning them, while marveling at their intricate lines and machining. After I shoot my Glocks, I throw them in the safe and forget about them. Both have their place, in my collection.

I would argue that if Glock made any radical changes, it'd hurt their appeal. Nothing about Glock is broken. They just need to keep adding smaller shooters (like a single stack 9), keep miking their existing models a bit lighter/slimmer (like the 30s), and keep adding the match-ready models (like the G41). If it aint' broke, don't fix it.

Quoted:
Single stack 9mm with same dimensions as the 42. Maybe I'll buy that, otherwise they're just fueling the cult.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:21:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:18:03 PM EDT
[#30]
A .22lr glock in the same vein as the M&P22 would be nice.

G17 dimensions, etc.

Not sure it fits within their business model, though.  May be unwilling to invest in the rimfire market.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:27:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

G17 dimensions, etc.

Not sure it fits within their business model, though.  May be unwilling to invest in the rimfire market.
View Quote

anything in the rimfire products is probably all but pointless right now and would probably lose money instead of gain
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:58:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Somehow I don't think Glock would do a rimfire, at least not for a while. Truth be told, every 22 auto pistol I've ever shot has exhibited marginal reliability, some better than others. But even the best of them still fail occasionally, and tend to be finicky with ammo. Glock has a reputation for reliability that would likely suffer, due to the limitations of rimfire through an auto pistol.

So, I don't think they'd do it.

Quoted:

anything in the rimfire products is probably all but pointless right now and would probably lose money instead of gain
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

G17 dimensions, etc.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:01:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:46:33 PM EDT
[#34]
You don't mess with Perfection!
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:17:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

As I opined to a friend earlier this very week, Glock has everything to lose and little or nothing to gain by delving into rimfires.  

Glock's greatest "claim to fame" is their legendary reliability...  rimfire semi-auto pistols are notorious for feed reliability problems, and even the very best examples can be ammo-sensitive (some ridiculously so).

Add in that there is already a healthy aftermarket for rimfire Glock conversions, and I think Glock would be making a potentially huge mistake to try that.

JMHO, as always.

ETA:  Dang, that post above wasn't there when I started typing... eerily similar opinions, though.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

G17 dimensions, etc.

As I opined to a friend earlier this very week, Glock has everything to lose and little or nothing to gain by delving into rimfires.  

Glock's greatest "claim to fame" is their legendary reliability...  rimfire semi-auto pistols are notorious for feed reliability problems, and even the very best examples can be ammo-sensitive (some ridiculously so).

Add in that there is already a healthy aftermarket for rimfire Glock conversions, and I think Glock would be making a potentially huge mistake to try that.

JMHO, as always.

ETA:  Dang, that post above wasn't there when I started typing... eerily similar opinions, though.

Great minds think alike and great minds think of profitability when it comes to products
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:47:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Serrations would be nice, although they did recently release the TB models that are suppressor ready.

Their next steps should be:
Optic ready slide (think Core)
Single stack 9/40 (think Shield/XDs)
And threaded barrels for above options.

And RTFs again.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:09:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Why change a thing.......Glock=Perfection
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:32:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Check out the MIM thread lately? They have taken a hit lately over reliability and innovation. I'm wondering what the company will look like in 15 years when every other company is continuously innovating and introducing new features and models such as Sig and HK in recent years.

Not fixing what isn't broke is wise, but playing catch up later is never good. Think Kodak.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:49:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

or if not bothering with the shield market share perhaps a g26 with an optional frame mounted safety for AIWB carry
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:57:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Check out the MIM thread lately? They have taken a hit lately over reliability and innovation. I'm wondering what the company will look like in 15 years when every other company is continuously innovating and introducing new features and models such as Sig and HK in recent years.

Not fixing what isn't broke is wise, but playing catch up later is never good. Think Kodak.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Proof of this from someone other than a bunch of gun forum members?
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:10:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I meant that purely as forum chatter. I'm sure their numbers don't reflect it. It's all just an observation and me wondering what they'll do in future to remain competitive (not that numbers-wise they need it right now, but no company can stay the same forever and maintain massive marketshare for good).
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:42:20 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

JMHO, as always.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

G17 dimensions, etc.

JMHO, as always.

They killed their reliability fame starting in about 2008 and went right off the cliff about the time of the Gen 4, with ejectors, extractors and all manner of bullshit.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:54:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I would really like to see a 10mm version of the 41.
View Quote

Welcome to my brain!
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:34:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:43:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Ok, not a company, but a design but...Mikhail Kalshnikov would disagree with that statement.

HTR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
but no company can stay the same forever and maintain massive marketshare for good).

Ok, not a company, but a design but...Mikhail Kalshnikov would disagree with that statement.

HTR.

But how much did Mikhail earn for his AK design?
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:37:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Serrations would be nice, although they did recently release the TB models that are suppressor ready.

Their next steps should be:
Optic ready slide (think Core)
Single stack 9/40 (think Shield/XDs)
And threaded barrels for above options.

And RTFs again.
View Quote

I agree with that. I loved my 17 RTF with the cresent serrations. I was a moron for trading it away.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:39:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 11:19:45 AM EDT
[#48]
They need to get their slide finish fixed

Move away from MiM parts

Release a single stack 9/40

Release a 22lr model when .22 re stabilizes

Finger groovless frames
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 2:22:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 3:41:14 PM EDT
[#50]
You don't mess with perfection
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top