Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2014 8:09:52 PM EDT
My Glocks are hitting like crap. I have Heinie slant pros on them now and I am hitting 8 inches low at 7yards.  In addition, my aging eyes cannot see the black on black sights and frustration levels are high.

I have heard the fiber optic sights are susceptible to cleaning fluids, so not sure I want to go that way...

Any suggestions.  I am having issues with the 30 and 21, my 19 and 26 with Meps see to be OK.  Not sure I want night sights on the .45s

Any suggestions?

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:35:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:15:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I am 53 and far sighted...had lasik done and need readers...I have had all sorts of sights and finally just had to stick with mepros  they work great
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:41:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Am 60 y.o.  Nearsighted.  Have been very happy with Trijicon tritiums.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:17:49 PM EDT
[#4]
77Bronc...two comments for you to consider...I'm 66.... I shoot Slant Pros on my competition G34 and my carry G17.... try thinning the front sight blade to .090"

second... I wear bifocals, and have a 4.25 diopter astigmatism... I had shooting glasses made with the near vision prescription in my entire dominant eye lens (my right eye)... and the regular bifocal prescription in the other, but moved the dividing line up a couple of millimeter...it takes me about 30minutes to get the proper depth perception... I use these glasses for pistol and multigun, but my regular bifocal prescription for skeet, clays, and 5 stand
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:27:22 PM EDT
[#5]
What I reccomend depends on what you are using it for.

For an HD/Carry gun I like the trijicon HD night sights
Range/comp gun warren sevigney competition sights are tits.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:54:28 PM EDT
[#6]
10-8 sights, fibre front, u-notch rear.

or...

Trijicon HD for the night sight crowd

or...

LAV sights (which are probably Wilson Combat).

I have the 10-8s. Though I contemplated all three above.

G17, gen 3.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:01:16 AM EDT
[#7]
For CCW Trijicon HDs or Ameriglo with the ProGlo front sight.  Otherwise Dawson fiber optic.  I like the fiber optic front and rear like this.  I clean my slide with CLP and have yet to have any issues with the FO rods.  Dawson includes extra FO with the sights and more FO is cheap and easy to replace.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:08:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am 53 and far sighted...had lasik done and need readers...I have had all sorts of sights and finally just had to stick with mepros  they work great
View Quote

Thanks for all of the replies.

I just made 56, I passed the vision test at the DMV easily without glasses.  I can see far without an issue,I am using 1.5 readers to type this on my iPad.   Use the readers at work for writing and laptop.

I was at an indoor range yesterday, shooting in dim lane, at a blue ALCO BT 5 target.  With my G30 and a Heinie black Slant Pros I could not see a thing.  Also I am really struggling with the sights in terms of "sight in", I can take my Sig 229 with factory Sig Night Sights and shoot a real nice group, but with the after market Heinie SPs, I am all over the map.  At 7 yards, hitting 8 inches or more low.   At 15 yards, worst....

I am so frustrated, I want to dump the Glocks and stick with my Sigs and 1911s

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:37:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Have you always shot this way with the Glock compared to your Sigs, or is this a new development?  Your second post makes it sound a lot more like a trigger control problem than an issue with the sights.  I'm pretty confident that I can hit better than 8" low at 7 yards without using the sights at all.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:11:10 AM EDT
[#10]
8 inches low at seven seems extreme to me if it is the sights only.
The sights are the problem only if your group size at seven yards is less than an inch. Any bigger and it suggests something else is wrong with the shooter or gun than the sights.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:53:35 AM EDT
[#11]
If you have Meprolights you like on your other Glocks why not run them on these too?
Could try something higher profile, wide notch/thinner post, if you don't like fiber optic due to delicacy could try a gold bead, they're sort of rare for Glocks but Wilson and I'm pretty sure at least one other outfit offer them, tritium is just as if not more affordable though.
I agree with others assessment that 8" low at 7yds sounds like more than a sight issue.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 11:44:13 AM EDT
[#12]
If you want fiber sites, switch your cleaning solvent to MPRO-7.  It has no affect on plastic and you will be very pleased at how well it cleans a Glock.

I put fiber sites on my shotguns for shooting trap at night under lights.  They work very well.

I use Magnalube-G on my glocks, and the MPro cleaner removes all of it and carbon too.  Odorless and non-toxic.  (Brownells)
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 3:30:12 PM EDT
[#13]
OK I figured it out.  Went to the range today with my 9mm's, all with Meprolights and my .45's with Heinie Slant Pros, that hit everywhere.  It is the sights, the HSP's. The HSPs are all black, the front blade is too tall and too narrow, a lot of space on either side.  I can eat out the center of a target with the 9mm's. When I come up quick with the 9mm's, the sight picture comes in real quick and the three dots work well, easy to see.

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 7:01:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Took my G17 out 2 days ago and at 7 yards I can get one big hole using an XS front sight and factory back sight.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:47:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OK I figured it out.  Went to the range today with my 9mm's, all with Meprolights and my .45's with Heinie Slant Pros, that hit everywhere.  It is the sights, the HSP's. The HSPs are all black, the front blade is too tall and too narrow, a lot of space on either side.  I can eat out the center of a target with the 9mm's. When I come up quick with the 9mm's, the sight picture comes in real quick and the three dots work well, easy to see.

View Quote

This is a simple example of standard height sights(Mepros) versus sights with taller front sights like Heinie, Warren/Sevigny, Trijicon HD's etc.  Lesson learned is before buying new sights determine the correct height of the front sight post by shootong your pistol with the ammo you intend to carry, use in competition, etc..  If you shoot POA/POI with factory height sights than you need to stick with that height.  If not, use the instructions on dawsonprecision.com to determine the correct height of the front sight for your particular gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top