Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2014 4:59:31 PM EDT
Why is there no Glock 40? I can't find anything out online since when I search for Glock 40 it always comes up with 40 caliber glocks.

Also what pistols would Glock 1 -16 have been?
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 5:27:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I would assume Glock did not want people to confuse model number with caliber size.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 5:27:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would assume Glock did not want people to confuse model number with caliber size.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 5:28:16 PM EDT
[#3]
At least up to 17 the number is related to the consecutive patents assigned to glock. The 17 incorporated the 17th patent assigned to the company. The first 16 were not firearms could have been door knobs or shower curtains whatever. Glock start as a company making stamped parts on surplus eastern block machines then saw an opportunity to bring a pistol to market which they did with great success.
As far as the 40 explanation is if it were made and not in forty cal it would have caused confusion among less savy shooters
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 6:02:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe so. I have had people ask if the 22 is .22 caliber.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 10:37:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
At least up to 17 the number is related to the consecutive patents assigned to glock. The 17 incorporated the 17th patent assigned to the company. The first 16 were not firearms could have been door knobs or shower curtains whatever. Glock start as a company making stamped parts on surplus eastern block machines then saw an opportunity to bring a pistol to market which they did with great success.
View Quote

This. If you can find it, the book "Glock: The Rise of America's Gun" is a great read about the company and it's uh, tactics, for landing all the success they have had.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 11:27:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do the same people ask if the AR-15 style rifles shoot .15 caliber too?
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 11:45:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This. If you can find it, the book "Glock: The Rise of America's Gun" is a great read about the company and it's uh, tactics, for landing all the success they have had.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great book and tactics.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 1:00:19 AM EDT
[#8]
That's reserved for the new 9mm single stack coming out next [REDACTED]
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 9:03:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
As far as the 40 explanation is if it were made and not in forty cal it would have caused confusion among less savy shooters
View Quote

This is what the instructor told us in armorers school
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 11:49:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks.

Because of you guys I get smarter every day.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 12:01:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Doubt we'll see a Glock 45 either
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 7:21:34 PM EDT
[#12]
They should have made the G40 a .22lr  
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 8:14:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Great book and tactics.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great book and tactics.

The rise of booth girls, and shady goings on at strip clubs FTW.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 4:26:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is that a confirmed answer from GLOCK?  For quite awhile nobody talked about the Model 25 or 28 either.  Could there be a Model 40 that Glock just isn't publicizing?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 4:31:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see that confusion from a surprisingly high proportion of law enforcement.  
Me: Is that a Glock 22 you're carrying?
Street Cop: No, it's a 40 caliber.

I bet if they could do it over again the would have skipped "22" as a model designation.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 4:59:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Is that a confirmed answer from GLOCK?  For quite awhile nobody talked about the Model 25 or 28 either.  Could there be a Model 40 that Glock just isn't publicizing?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's because they are not importable for civilians. Only LEO/MIL
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:18:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I knew that.  Maybe Model 40 isn't either.  Whatever it may be.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:30:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Maybe the glock 40 is a G18/G34 hybrid
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:33:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:07:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Glock's Model numbers come from the number of patent that the model of the time falls under. Glock 17 has nothing to do with the round count, but rather it was the 17th patent that Glock had at the time they release the Glock 17 model.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:06:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:50:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Glock 40 should be a 10mm long slide "practical and tactical"
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:52:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Glock 40 should be a 10mm long slide "practical and tactical"
View Quote

+1 though it will probably never happen until 10mm is a popular action shooting sports cartridge and when that happens there will probably be a new division in three gun nation called God Mode or something like that where you have to shoot a pistol cartridge producing over 500 ft/lbs ie 10mm a 10ga and lager than 30 cal rifle like a 338 federal AR. Now wouldnt that be bad ass?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:37:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Because it'd be confusing as fuck.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:05:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

omg I know.  non glock having people are always like... your glock shoots .22?
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 3:55:44 AM EDT
[#26]
The Glock 40? What about a G-42 sized pistol in .40...
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:58:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Since the Glock 22 is in .40, the Glock 40 should be in .22. Can you imagine the confused conversations at gun shops and gun shows all over America? It would be hilarious.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:20:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Since the Glock 22 is in .40, the Glock 40 should be in .22. Can you imagine the confused conversations at gun shops and gun shows all over America? It would be hilarious.
View Quote

It would be the "Who's on first?" of guns instead of baseball.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:27:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  Conscious decision at Glock.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:30:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Heh, I built a dedicated 22LR Glock and when I speak about it I have to stop myself from calling it a Glock 22.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:37:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:58:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
This is also why there'll never be a Glock Fo-Tay model either.
View Quote

What you talkin' 'bout, fool? My homie, Little Ray Ray, sold me this Glock Fo-Tay:

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:39:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Not sure if this would be better or worse

9mm
Glock 9 - G17
Glock 9L - G34
Glock 9XL - G17L
Glock 9C - G19
Glock 9SC - G26

Glock 40 - G23
etc
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top