Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2014 2:53:36 PM EDT
I know this has been asked before but I am going to start again. I am going to get a G19 in the next few days, I can get either a Gen3 or a Gen4. I have heard some bad things about Gen4 guns. Are they mostly the internet chatter or is it a fact? I am going to have an rmr installed in the future, old eyes with bifocals. I currently have a G17, G21 with an rmr and a G22, so I am not a Glock newbie. But I have been riding the 1911 train for awhile now. So help a brother out.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:20:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Cant go wrong with a gen 3 g19. I personally wouldnt pay extra for the ambi. mag release and different backstraps.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:20:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I would get a gen 3 because the grip isn't aggressive and when carrying it doesn't agitate the skin. Some might say, just use some sandpaper. Lol
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:33:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I tried the Gen4, I kept popping the magazine loose inadvertently and went back to the Gen3.

The Gen4s are nice guns, but I prefer the Gen3.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:06:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I much prefer the Gen4.  The Gen3 texture is too slippery for me (my hands sweat a lot.)  Also, you get an extra mag with the Gen4, so the cost difference is negligible.  Gen4 FTW.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:41:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Glock has been having problems with both 3rd Gen and Gen4 9mm guns, so that is a wash. The best thing you can do is go get them in your hands and see which feels better. I bought a 3rd Gen G19 a couple of years ago and, after feeling the way the Gen4s feel, I wish I would have gotten a Gen4. For me, the Gen4 guns just feel a lot better. The 3rd Gen is good, but the Gen4 is better for me. You may like the 3rd Gen better, though, which is why I said to try them both. Both should work out well for you, so choose the one that feels better.

Bub75
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:08:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Gen4 and be done with it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:33:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't like having scars from slidebite, so Gen 4 for me. More aggressive texture + beavertail/backstraps is perfect.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:33:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Gen 4. Better texture, better mag release, and the factory beavertail backstraps are awesome. No more slide bite!
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:36:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I prefer Gen 4.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:07:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Gen 4 for me as well. I much prefer the added features over the Gen 3 models.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:17:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I tend I get a grip reductions done so I buy the cheaper one. But if I wasn't doing a reduction the gen 4 stock fits my hands better.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 2:14:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Gen 4 is my vote as well.  I just bought a new gen 4 G23 and couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 3:17:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for all the replies. Going to check out both tomorrow. I like the idea of the third magazine with the Gen4 and the adjustable backstrap. Thanks for all the input, appreciate it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:36:14 AM EDT
[#14]
I have both Gen 3 and 4, my opinion:
The 4:
Way better texture.
The backstrap system is not for me. Without a strap thinner.  Gen3 size or bigger with optional straps.
The RSA is indeed more robust.
Ambi mag release with larger head. I'm right handed so no plans on switching it to the other side; however this might be a big deal if you're a lefty.
3 mags.
Cost here $535.

The 3:
Frame appears to have more material in certain areas.
No goofy backstraps.
Cheaper at $489.
2 mags.

They both shoot exactly the same. Both reliable as a Craftsman wrench. Two winners here. If I could buy the Gen 4 for the cost of the Gen 3 I would chose it. An extra mag is not worth $45. to me though. Buy used if you can.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:28:40 AM EDT
[#15]
All my Glocks are 3 or earlier but I will point something out about the way grip size works for me , might be true for other folks also.

Grip size for me , and how it works for me , has been a difficult thing for me to work out except by shooting .

In short I have been surprised many times by what works and what doesn't . Some guns that feel very good I don't shoot well and some that feel very wrong I actually shoot very well
Two extreme examples
I wound up with a standard grip G30 in a multi gun trade. This gun has a pretty big grip that "feels" all wrong to me but I decided to play at the range before I traded it off . To my surprise I shoot it very well . I suspect this is because with the large grip I have to strain a bit and this forces me to grip it exactly the same every time .

I have a S&W 642 that is pretty small and first impression is that I need bigger grips . Over the years I have tried 4 or 5 different grip sets on it and in the end I go back to the small plastic factory stocks because that is what I shoot best with .

If I were to buy a new Glock I would try to grab a G4 and shoot all the grip sizes . As pointed out by others if you factor in the value of the extra magazine they cost about the same . Seems that the G4 should be easier to resale also
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:31:43 AM EDT
[#16]
I have all Gen3 Glocks. I have replacement parts for them if something breaks, I am comfortable with them, and don't feel like I am missing out on anything.

If I had none and were starting all over, I would probably get Gen 4s. You have some more options grip size, and I do like the magazine release on them.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:39:19 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a Gen3 19 and I am very happy with it, not sure if the added cost is worth it to me to get the 4.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:06:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Gen4 just for spring alone
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:28:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Gen4!  That was easy!
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:36:55 PM EDT
[#20]
I sold all my Gen3s and bought Gen4s.  

Does that answer your question? LOL
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:49:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Going to get the Gen4. Leaving work early and going to pick it up. Then hit the range. Thanks for all the feed back on this, really appreciate it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:25:57 PM EDT
[#22]
originally I got the gen 4 G19 for the larger mag release size. Stippled to make it contour to my firing grip and to be comfortable in appendix.
The only gen3 out of the collection is a G19 since I prefer the smoother grip, no stippling to suit my grip, did some dremel to make the mag release easier to access. Just b/c its a newer gen does not mean its better by any means. The gen3 G19 imo is like the BMW M3 benchmark for sports cars. If I had only a choice for one handgun for life it would be a gen3 G19.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:29:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 4:15:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gen4 and be done with it.
View Quote

^^ This, gen 4 is so much nicer.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:46:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Going to get the Gen4. Leaving work early and going to pick it up. Then hit the range. Thanks for all the feed back on this, really appreciate it.
View Quote

Just FYI, a range report is expected.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:34:05 PM EDT
[#26]
I bit the bullet today and bought the Gen4 G19. We went to the range after, only for me to discover that I left my ammo can at home. I only had 200 rounds in my range bag. My buddy brought his Gen1 G19 as a comparison. The trigger is excellent, it shoots point of aim and the recoil is not as bad (not that a 9mm is a wrist breaker). I shot my buddy's Gen1 and found that the Gen4 is much less snappy.

The ammo I had was Tula Brass case, Federal White Box, Blazer Aluminum Case, Ranger ammo and Speer Gold Dot hollow points. The Gold Dot has been my 9mm carry choice for awhile. It groups great in my G17, Browning Hi-Power and H&K P7M8. It did not disappoint in the G19, It shot point of aim with the tightest group of the day. I also got some Liberty Ammunition, 9mm +P 50 Gr. I was surprised it group as well as it did, my other friends Shield shot them like a shotgun. All of the ammo I shot grouped well, next time I will have a about 400 rounds to put through it.

I kept the standard backstrap on it and will experiment with the others another time. I won't be getting down the range for another week, so I will clean it up and get ready. I am very impressed with the G19, I have wanted one for years and I am glad I got the Gen4. I am debating whether to put an rmr on it or just go with Trijicon Night Sights, I have them on all my carry guns.  Thanks for all the input

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:26:59 PM EDT
[#27]
I think you made the right choice. My G17 Gen4 has been bulletproof reliable (knock on wood). I'm also looking into a G19 as a carry gun. Congrats on the new shooter.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:02:47 PM EDT
[#28]
I found a gen 4 23 last weekend.  It shoots softer than my 26 and very similar to my wife's gen 3 19.  Probably gonna trade hers in for a gen 4 before she steals my 23. That's how she got that 19.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:26:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I would get a gen 3 because the grip isn't aggressive and when carrying it doesn't agitate the skin. Some might say, just use some sandpaper. Lol
View Quote

Yeah the texture is way too sharp.  

The dustcover/frame rail is 30% more thin, and it was already flexible and now is just a wet noodle for light lasers for night vision.

The locking block got thicker so the frame there can crack and fail.

Departments in this state that got them ran into that, and also had to spend a lot of money on uniforms that were wearing out prematurely due to contact with the RTF.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 7:16:21 AM EDT
[#30]
I usually wear an undershirt so I do not have to worry about the aggressive grip on my Gen 4 26 which is my daily carry.   If you get an IWB holster that is not combat cut (Or something like the N82 holster) it would prevent this as well. I'm a huge fan of the more aggressive texture on the Gen 4 grips, worth it for when it may be necessary especially when hands can get slippery from wet.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 7:37:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I usually wear an undershirt so I do not have to worry about the aggressive grip on my Gen 4 26 which is my daily carry.   If you get an IWB holster that is not combat cut (Or something like the N82 holster) it would prevent this as well. I'm a huge fan of the more aggressive texture on the Gen 4 grips, worth it for when it may be necessary especially when hands can get slippery from wet.
View Quote

Yup. Even with the aggressive texture of the Gen 4, when your hands are sweaty or wet, the gun still slips a bit, so I can't imagine a Gen 3.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:35:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 5:21:57 AM EDT
[#33]
I got a Gen 4 and I love it. I can get a much more positive grip on it. Sometimes it does rub my side while carrying, but usually only while sitting for a long period of time.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 6:59:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 12:22:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The dustcover/frame rail is 30% more thin, and it was already flexible and now is just a wet noodle for light lasers for night vision.

Departments in this state that got them ran into that, and also had to spend a lot of money on uniforms that were wearing out prematurely due to contact with the RTF.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You work in a gunstore don't you?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top