Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/22/2014 10:25:48 PM EDT
Tell me what you love and hate about the 10mm. I'm wanting one just because it seems to be a hot round and it's unique, what other attributes does the 10mm/glock 20 have? What if anything does it have over the glock 21?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:37:44 PM EDT
[#1]
We have several G20's, between the wife and I. We carry them while 4 wheeling, hunting and just general outdoor hiking.  While there may be an issue with ammo, we do not have that issue, as I reload for ours.  We had a ATV rider take a dump in the mud while carrying his G20, which he packed with mud.  After getting him out of the mud, I field stripped the G20, washed it in a creek and it was good to go.  I do not think the same could be said for some of the nicer weapons.  It does take a little more shooting to master the 10MM round, but once you do, it is worth the time.  The 10MM does not hold the same energy as some of the larger calibers, but it is easier to master.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:20:55 PM EDT
[#2]
My 20's are my favorite Glocks.  

The perfect combination of power, capacity and controllability IMHO.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:30:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:41:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Love
- Hot round while being controllable
- 15 rounds of said hot round
-  Versatile
- (I'm sure to get flack for this but it's true)  Can shoot .40 ammo if you need it to

Hate
- Really expensive if you don't reload
- Brass is expensive if you do (but not bad enough to avoid it)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tell me what you love and hate about the 10mm. I'm wanting one just because it seems to be a hot round and it's unique, what other attributes does the 10mm/glock 20 have? What if anything does it have over the glock 21?

Love
-  Versatile
- (I'm sure to get flack for this but it's true)  Can shoot .40 ammo if you need it to

Hate

I'm not too worried about the ammo cost because I won't shoot it like I do my 9 & 45. The one concern I do have with ammo is that I have read that a lot of the ammo  commercialy available is loaded light and if I get the 10mm I want to have hot rounds and carry it for bear/coyotes while I bow hunt (I have other guns I could use but I just want something different that will be fun to carry and mess around with)
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:00:02 AM EDT
[#5]
It is fun to shoot loads out that power out of a semi auto.

I'd hate to have to buy factory ammo though. Brass seems to be tough to get at the moment.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:45:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
We have several G20's, between the wife and I. We carry them while 4 wheeling, hunting and just general outdoor hiking.  While there may be an issue with ammo, we do not have that issue, as I reload for ours.  We had a ATV rider take a dump in the mud while carrying his G20, which he packed with mud.  After getting him out of the mud, I field stripped the G20, washed it in a creek and it was good to go.  I do not think the same could be said for some of the nicer weapons.  It does take a little more shooting to master the 10MM round, but once you do, it is worth the time.  The 10MM does not hold the same energy as some of the larger calibers, but it is easier to master.
View Quote

This is basically exactly what I want one for
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:06:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Love the 10MM Glocks. The G29 is a pocket rocket. I shoot 40S&W with the conversion barrel out of the G20 flawlessly.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:05:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It is fun to shoot loads out that power out of a semi auto.

I'd hate to have to buy factory ammo though. Brass seems to be tough to get at the moment.
View Quote

After doing some searching and pricing the ammo is not as bad I thought initially which has put me over the edge on getting one
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:59:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:42:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

As long as you look up the data on the factory rounds before you buy them, there shouldn't be any doubt what you are getting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Love
-  Versatile

Hate

I'm not too worried about the ammo cost because I won't shoot it like I do my 9 & 45. The one concern I do have with ammo is that I have read that a lot of the ammo  commercialy available is loaded light and if I get the 10mm I want to have hot rounds and carry it for bear/coyotes while I bow hunt (I have other guns I could use but I just want something different that will be fun to carry and mess around with)

As long as you look up the data on the factory rounds before you buy them, there shouldn't be any doubt what you are getting.

True have been researching the ammo quite a  bit the last few days and I'm sold on it. A 20 will definitely be in the near future. Your signature line is awesome by the way
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:31:40 AM EDT
[#11]
One of the most easily convertible calibers, too.  You can convert to .40 or .357 Sig with just a barrel swap, and to .45 and .22 with complete slide and mag swaps.  That is 5 calibers for way less cost than 5 pistols.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:55:38 AM EDT
[#12]
If you handload, you'll find that shooting a 10mm costs the same as a 40s&w (after you amortize the brass).  If you opt for a putting together a longslide version and tune your handloads for the longer barrel, you can produce extraordinary velocities and muzzle energies north of 900ft/lbs in a platform that is still easy to shoot and easy on both the hand and wrist.  

The only downside is losing brass in the weeds is frustrating.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:03:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't reload at the moment but may start one day. I have found some ammo at bearable prices
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:22:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Its my woods/hiking/bear/hunting backup gun if you dont reload its probably not for you because of he cost and availability of ammo. Ive carried it a lot in Colorado and here at home. I've killed or finished off around 6 deer with it the power to size ratios makes it perfect for what I want it for. If I could only have one glock it would be the 20. Only thing I don't like is I cry when I lose my brass.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:23:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Its my woods/hiking/bear/hunting backup gun if you dont reload its probably not for you because of he cost and availability of ammo. Ive carried it a lot in Colorado and here at home. I've killed or finished off around 6 deer with it the power to size ratios makes it perfect for what I want it for. If I could only have one glock it would be the 20. Only thing I don't like is I cry when I lose my brass.
View Quote

Price isn't so bad...finding the ammo that sells for a reasonable price in stock is proving to be difficult. 500rd case of prvi partisan JHP for 199 is the best I have found but it is sold out at the moment so I got on the notification list. Ted Nugent brand HP is not terribly priced either. I'm sold on it already though, so I will continue the hunt for ammo
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:27:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Just DESTROYED a charging 150lb boar last weekend with one of my G20's loaded with DT 200 FMJ-FP's. Absolutely blew-up hoggie's skull. Yes, I've had through and through's with the same round and with hogs you've gotta strike bone or vitals for disabling or a quick kill. This one went down from 110 yards with a Federal Fusion 62gr bonded 5.56 but, obviously, didn't stay down as I'd hit it mid-ship.

Not the biggest I've killed but when we need to drop hogs close range or finish them off 10mm is the round of choice. DT"s equalizer is pretty cool, too, but I need rounds that'll retain mass for best results. For HD the DT 230 Equalizers are a pretty compelling choice. As are Win 175 Silver Tips. For the most reliable POWER look at Underwood. He's got the best cred in the 10mm world, right now.

I own 5 G20's now as I've converted one to a Mech-Tech carbine (awesome, if rigged right). Check out the FDE G20's.  

Have a G29, two Delta Elites (blue and chrome), two S&W 1006's (one NIB! and one to shoot! Awesome, old school 10mm that is getting hot insofar as price/availability) and an MP5/10mm clone but its an RDTS that'll accept my MP5SD's Navy Picto 4 position lower/sear...pretty impressive SMG or just as an SBR. It's skyrocketed in value recently. Sort of rare...

Just remember, 10mm is an addiction and EXPENSIVE when, like me, you don't have the time or inclination to reload. Underwood, Double Tap, Winchester and Federal love me...$$$$.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:00:21 AM EDT
[#17]
I had a G20 in one for or the other for years, it's a good gun no doubt about it.  With that said, I think the 10mm is too over hyped for the most part, I mean sure there's jokes about the power of the 10mm, but I also think that some get to the point where they start to believe it.  While I cannot say the 10mm isn't a capable round, because it certainly is, I just don't see it as being better than a .40 or .45 for any intended purpose.  

If you intend to have a handgun for hunting purposes, sure the 10mm can work, but so can the .40 and .45 for that matter, but ultimately there are better choices out there (.41 Mag and up).  For typical self defense I also don't see it standing head and shoulders above the others.  It's somewhat pricey and the guns are generally larger size.  To me a warm .40 is just as good and really the .45 is better because you have options like the .45 Super and 460 Rowland.

But I also understand the simple desire to want something often outweighs the logic behind such purchases, we're all guilty of it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:35:57 AM EDT
[#18]
The pros:

Powerful round
Lots of ammo on board
Very controllable
Very accurate
Lots of holster choices
Reliable

The cons:

Good ammo is expensive and somewhat hard to find
Still not as powerful as a .44
G20 is a BIG pistol and will not fit everyone's hands well
10mm is overhyped in general, most people would have you believe its a man portable cannon

It all depends on what you want. Here in KY I'd say its the perfect woods carry gun. I really like mine and don't see me ever finding anything that would suit my needs better. That being said if I was going into big bear country I'd carry my 629.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:27:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Just DESTROYED a charging 150lb boar last weekend with one of my G20's loaded with DT 200 FMJ-FP's. Absolutely blew-up hoggie's skull. Yes, I've had through and through's with the same round and with hogs you've gotta strike bone or vitals for disabling or a quick kill. This one went down from 110 yards with a Federal Fusion 62gr bonded 5.56 but, obviously, didn't stay down as I'd hit it mid-ship.

Not the biggest I've killed but when we need to drop hogs close range or finish them off 10mm is the round of choice. DT"s equalizer is pretty cool, too, but I need rounds that'll retain mass for best results. For HD the DT 230 Equalizers are a pretty compelling choice. As are Win 175 Silver Tips. For the most reliable POWER look at Underwood. He's got the best cred in the 10mm world, right now.

I own 5 G20's now as I've converted one to a Mech-Tech carbine (awesome, if rigged right). Check out the FDE G20's.  

Have a G29, two Delta Elites (blue and chrome), two S&W 1006's (one NIB! and one to shoot! Awesome, old school 10mm that is getting hot insofar as price/availability) and an MP5/10mm clone but its an RDTS that'll accept my MP5SD's Navy Picto 4 position lower/sear...pretty impressive SMG or just as an SBR. It's skyrocketed in value recently. Sort of rare...

Just remember, 10mm is an addiction and EXPENSIVE when, like me, you don't have the time or inclination to reload. Underwood, Double Tap, Winchester and Federal love me...$$$$.

View Quote

Damn you are definitely a ten mil fan. I have always over looked the 10mm until recently. Just want something powerful and different than the rest of the crowd. Thanks for bringing up the Winchester ammo as well, had not seen that yet. Have you ever used any of the Ted Nugent ammo? And putting down the charging boar is pretty awesome. I will carry the 10mm bow hunting because lately I see as many black bear on the game camera as deer. I'm thinking the 20 with  double tap nosler  200gr HPs with a surefire x300ultra, night sights and a bravo concealment holster will be a good combo for hunting and camping.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 2:23:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Had the LGS order me a gen4 20 yesterday and picked up some ammo at the gun show to get me started, will post pics up when the gun gets in. Thanks for all the information
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 4:38:22 PM EDT
[#21]
The only thing I dislike about mine is the size of the grip. I can barely get the pad of my finger on the trigger. I am seriously thinking about sending it off for a reduction.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 5:26:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The only thing I dislike about mine is the size of the grip. I can barely get the pad of my finger on the trigger. I am seriously thinking about sending it off for a reduction.
View Quote

I carry a gen3 21 @ work and it doesn't give me any trouble but I have big paws
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 5:35:43 PM EDT
[#23]

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 6:22:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Damn...I have been shopping around for one of these for months.

This thread is not helping my wallet.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 3:18:45 AM EDT
[#25]
I like the 10mm so much I had a 10mm AR built by Ron Williams.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:56:43 PM EDT
[#26]

Nice although the highest FPS I have seen is in the 1250 range, I wonder what ammo and barrel they got 1319 with
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:58:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd like to see that if you have any pictures, also what mags does it take?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:57:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll second that
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:44:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Per your requests...

It uses a DDMPS? lower and Glock mags. I load subsonic ammo for use with the Osprey .45 can. I also load hot Hornady XTPs for other stuff.

I plan on buying a 45 caliber upper next year.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 9:11:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Awesome set up, thanks for sharing the pictures. I feel like getting the 10mm might be the final push for me to reload just to get the full potential out of the round
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:03:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Per your requests...

<a href="http://s3.photobucket.com/user/mtpys/media/Guns/imagejpg2.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/mtpys/Guns/imagejpg2.jpg</a>

It uses a DDMPS? lower and Glock mags. I load subsonic ammo for use with the Osprey .45 can. I also load hot Hornady XTPs for other stuff.

I plan on buying a 45 caliber upper next year.
View Quote

With a can no less very nice
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:42:54 PM EDT
[#32]
I love Glocks- used a 19 in the mil and use a 17 now were I wok (IC). I use a 22 or 21 for "woods" use, don't really care for the 10mm- expensive to shoot, super-hot round. i guess I might consider a 20 if I was going to hunt hogs using a pistol for a primary, otherwise not my cup of tea.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 9:17:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I love Glocks- used a 19 in the mil and use a 17 now were I wok (IC). I use a 22 or 21 for "woods" use, don't really care for the 10mm- expensive to shoot, super-hot round. i guess I might consider a 20 if I was going to hunt hogs using a pistol for a primary, otherwise not my cup of tea.
View Quote

I have a 19 & 26 and carry a 21 at work. I will mainly carry the 20 hunting because we have a large bear population that seems to get bigger every season and I bow hunt so I would like to have 15 of those hot rounds if I get between a mom and cubs walking in or out also on camping trips. I agree that the ammo is high but it's really not much higher than 45 just harder to find. Plus I don't know anyone else that has a 10mm so it will be a bit of a novelty in my circle of friends
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 9:59:51 PM EDT
[#34]
So, you definitely doing it?  And if so, look at my and the other member's earlier posts about conversions...you can have 6 different calibers with one G20 frame at least 3 of them only require a barrel swap...
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:05:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:24:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
So, you definitely doing it?  And if so, look at my and the other member's earlier posts about conversions...you can have 6 different calibers with one G20 frame at least 3 of them only require a barrel swap...
View Quote

Yes, the store said it should be here by the end of the week, hopefully I will have time to go pick it up Saturday. I picked up 250 rounds of Remington FMJ for it this past weekend at a gun show as well as 160 rds of the Ted Nugent ammo (HP but can't remember the exact load) and ordered some double tap
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:46:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:17:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Nice set up AJE. What is it costing you per round to reload FMJ target loads and good HPs? My brother has a Dillon 650 and said he can reload for the 10 pretty easily because he is already set up for 40. Just curious what kind of savings you can get. The best FMJ price I can find is .43 per round from preicision one ammo
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 3:23:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 3:36:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Thanks for those figures AJE. The sales guy at the LGS called today and said there is a gen 4 20 with my name on it on his shelf. Going to pic it up Saturday because my "local" gun store is a little over an hour away
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 4:43:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
This is what really makes my 10mm shine

<a href="http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/arfcomaje/media/10.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p505/arfcomaje/10.jpg</a>

Of course I probably look stupid to most people trying to hunt down every piece of brass I fire
View Quote

Thats the problem with 10mm I cry like a school girl when I lose brass
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 4:47:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is what really makes my 10mm shine

<a href="http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/arfcomaje/media/10.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p505/arfcomaje/10.jpg</a>

Of course I probably look stupid to most people trying to hunt down every piece of brass I fire

No kidding.  You can tell a 10mm owner in the winter.  The cases freeze to the ground when they hit and I think nothing of spending plenty of time chipping them out of the ground glacier.

My precious...
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:30:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Got it yesterday

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:37:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Picked it up yesterday around lunch, shot a few rounds through it and carried it around the house in my raven vanguard II for the rest of the day and all day today. For the size it's doable as a conceal carry gun but don't think it will take my 19s spot. Have to order a raven OTWB holster for it and x300u then but I was just messing around with it. Love it so far but only 60rds down the pipe (57 pieces of brass recovered by the way).thanks to all the guys who gave me that last little push to pull the trigger on it
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:11:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:12:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 5:52:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Awesome pistol, congrats!
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:34:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Check out Underwood Ammo for some HOT 10mm loads. A lot of people love that brand of ammo. Priced better than Buffalo Bore also.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:28:58 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Check out Underwood Ammo for some HOT 10mm loads. A lot of people love that brand of ammo. Priced better than Buffalo Bore also.
View Quote

will look around for them, thanks
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 12:33:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Underwood Ammo has FREE shipping on orders over $200 through Sunday the 7th. Go to their website and check it out. Use code ship14
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top