Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2014 7:36:36 PM EDT
Is the frame of a glock considered the "firearm"? Meaning, must the exchange go through an ffl and in states which require, must the individual have a pistol purchase permit to accept the new frame?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:54:00 PM EDT
[#1]
the frame is the "gun" on a glock.  ffl rules apply
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:05:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I had to get a frame replaced recently. As stated, the frame is the gun. And because of NJ's great gun laws, your firearm will have to be transferred back to you and you will need to use a pistol purchase permit.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:03:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Benefits of gun control. Preventing people from screwing up their brand new firearms
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:31:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I have no idea on the NJ pistol permit, but yes the frame is the firearm. I had one replaced by Glock once and I had to pick it back up at an FFL, even though it was already mine, I sent it to them myself, etc.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:44:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't know about NJ laws pertaining specifically to pistol permits, but as far as having to transfer your gun:

The ATF says that if you are sending a firearm in for repair you don't need to transfer it again.

"Neither the transfer of a repaired firearm nor the transfer of a replacement firearm would be subject to the requirements of the Brady law. Furthermore, the regulations provide that a Form 4473 is not required to cover these transactions. However, the licensee’s permanent acquisition and disposition records should reflect the return of the firearm or the transfer of a replacement firearm.  [27 CFR 478.124-25]"

I have sent several Glock frames in for repair back to Georgia (back when the E-series 22s were replaced) with no transfers.  Call Glock and ask them and they should take care of you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top