Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2014 5:21:28 PM EDT
I have a fairly new gen 3 g34. Maybe 400 flawless rounds fired. Last week shot an idpa match everything went great. Today I shot a classifier match and 3 separate times with 2 different mags it failed to go into battery after ejecting a spent case.  I had to rack the new round out and continue the course of fire 3 separate times.
  Ammo was wwb 115gr.
Anyone know why this would happen? Like I said 400 rds perfect why all of a sudden this issue?
Thanks for your time
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:40:02 PM EDT
[#1]
You might want to try some different ammo. Isn't that WWB ammo notoriously weak?

Did you change the recoil spring? A lighter recoil spring can cause the slide not to go into battery. I use a 13 lb IMSI spring with no problems though.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:03:09 AM EDT
[#2]
my guess also is that it is ammo related.... additionally, you will probably get a lot better 25y accuracy, I did, switching to heavier 147grain ammo....I run an uncaptured guide rod with a #17 ISMI spring in my G34 with 147s at about 935fps for USPSA and 3 gun
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:14:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies. It is bone stock.  I have a big stock pile of wwb 115gr and American eagle 115gr because that's all I can find around here so hopefully I can continue to use it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:21:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, WWB is known for weak loads here and there. I've had a few weak loads and even a few bad primers that wouldn't go off at all.

Run a box of a couple different kinds of ammo through it and see if you keep having the same problem.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:24:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd start with the ammo, but you might also check to make sure that the extractor is moving freely.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 2:47:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the help. Next nice day we have I will finish off the box of wwb and the. Switch to American eagle and see what happens
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 2:37:31 PM EDT
[#7]
So just had a little time to shoot. I shot up the last of the wwb maybe 40 rds.  Out of those I had 2 more failure completely go into battery. I'm thinking it's ammo related because I tried to load the 2 bullets again to shoot them and the same problem happened. Here is a pic of the 2 bullets that wouldn't work in the gun. They both have a matching scratch in them. One is a little deeper. Sorry crappy pic.
  I didn't have time to try a different brand of ammo but will within the next few days. Maybe it was just a bad batch of wwb.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:52:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Is the gun clean, especially the rails?
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:28:03 PM EDT
[#9]
WWB seems to have the longest OAL of all the factory 9mm loads I've seen. Still in spec but longer than most. 1.6+ from what I recall. They still should work in a G34. I'd mic them and try a plunk test. You may have bad ammo or you may have an out of spec chamber on that barrel.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:38:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Probably an ammo problem.  Make sure the gun is relatively clean - especially the chamber.  Glocks generally don't mind being dirty, but when diagnosing a problem it's best to make sure that variable is eliminated.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:16:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Yup gun is spotless.  I cleaned it before I shot the classifier and then cleaned again when I got home from the match. So it was clean both times before I shot it and had the malfunctions.  
  If it's nice out tonight when I get home I'll try some American eagle 115gr.  
I'm still assuming its ammo related. The first 400 or so rounds fired from the gun where wwb and American eagle and I had no issues except for a little brass to face once in a while but that seams to have worked itself out.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:11:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Are the rounds getting stuck in the barrel when the slide won't go into battery? In other words, the round won't chamber at all.  I've had this happen when a reload wasn't sized properly.
You can use the barrel as a case gauge to check.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:16:29 PM EDT
[#13]
So I took the barrel out of the gun, dropped one of the bad rounds in then one from a new box of wwb.  They both fall in fine but the bad round sticks out just slightly further. Could this be my issue? It's hard to tell in the pics but the distance is just noticeable.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:43:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I've had 4 rounds of WWB like that so far this year, pulled them apart with a bullet puller and measured the cases and they were all over max case length. I'd take pics but they have since been trimmed down and added to my brass stash.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:12:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks. Yeah I should probably switch to a different brand ammo. Too bad I bought a bunch of the wwb though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top