Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2014 5:58:56 PM EDT
I am in the market for some new sights for my Gen 4 G23. I want night sights and I will also be doing some competition as well. I have been looking into Trijicon's Hd sights, but I feel that they would look goofy as if they were suppresser sights and I do not even have a threaded barrel. I bought a G23 as my first pistol to be used for everything from CCW, Home protection, to competition. I want the sights to be the best sights that I can find for accuracy and fast target acquisition, but also look nice. Unfortunately, I have been to every gun shop in my area and not one has them in stock nor mounted on any guns. Most have the standard three dot night sights. If I am going to be paying $100 +/- $50 or so, I would like the best. I have not done any competitions yet so my experience with that style of shooting is to 0.

The times that I have seen other types of sights, I really like the front a different color than the rear. I have only shot in the dark twice, with a flashlight and plastic Glock sights, so I do not know how well night sights would assist me in the dark for home protection.

Suggestions? Testimonies to the Trijicon HD's?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:05:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:04:12 AM EDT
[#2]
the triji hds are awesome for defensive / duty carry.  

not the best for precision target shooting, imho...

i have a set on my g19 that is my ccw / range toy.  Saving up for a set for my M&P Shield and my g17.  I like the yellow better.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:20:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got Trijicon HD's installed on the following guns, color of HD sight and use is also listed.

G26gen4 (Yellow) Carry/IDPA (Backup gun events)
G19gen4 (Orange) IDPA (mostly indoor matches)
G17gen4 (Orange) IDPA (backup IDPA gun for large matches)
G34gen4 (Orange) IDPA (primary IDPA weapon)
G23gen4 (Yellow) Carry (daily)
G29gen4 (Orange) Carry (future daily carry)
G20gen4 (Orange) Carry (open carry/woods)
G21gen4 (Orange) Carry (open carry)
G42gen4 (pending availability)
G41gen4 (pending next purchase)

While probably not the best bulls-eye shooting sights, they are the best practical shooting sights I've used.  I do prefer the yellow sights now, and future purchases will be yellow HD's only.  The G17gen4 has had them installed almost since day one, it was purchased within a few weeks of the gen4's being released, has about 40K rounds threw it at this point, the G34 is approaching 30K, and the G19 probably has 20K or so threw it.  In preparation of the IDPA Backup Gun Nationals last Nov, the HD equipped G26 saw three thousand rounds in just two weeks.  I have not had a single issue with these sights on any of my weapons.  Easily capable of hitting IDPA targets, including head shots at 25 yards..... YMMV!

Hope this help!

~g

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:03:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:39:24 PM EDT
[#5]
My personal preference is Warren/Sevigny with Tritium front and plain black rear.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:01:43 PM EDT
[#6]

I prefer a plain rear so I went with Ameriglow Hackathorn sights. Sight are a very personal thing and it took me a long time to realize that three dot sights were giving me problems. I had Trijicon sights on a p229 and I was a terrible shot with it. I would take it out of the safe every few months thinking maybe I could finally master shooting it or find a load that the gun liked. I finally switched the sights out and suddenly my groups became consistent with my other handguns.

That said I am not sure if any of that helps you out. Just be prepared to try a few setups before you land on something that works for you.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:40:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I think Meps are still one of better all around options.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:52:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I have been exceedingly happy with my trijicon HDs
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:54:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've got Trijicon HD's installed on the following guns, color of HD sight and use is also listed.

While probably not the best bulls-eye shooting sights, they are the best practical shooting sights I've used.  I do prefer the yellow sights now, and future purchases

will be yellow HD's only.  The G17gen4 has had them installed almost since day one, it was purchased within a few weeks of the gen4's being released, has about 40K rounds threw it at this point, the G34 is approaching 30K, and the G19 probably has 20K or so threw it.  In preparation of the IDPA Backup Gun Nationals last Nov, the HD equipped G26 saw three thousand rounds in just two weeks.  I have not had a single issue with these sights on any of my weapons.  Easily capable of hitting IDPA targets, including head shots at 25 yards..... YMMV!

Hope this help!

~g

View Quote

What makes you like the yellow over orange, I have read that many folks have been leaning toward the yellow after using both. I shoot well with glock sights, but I feel that my accuracy will be improved with sights that you can actually see the whole circle of the front.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:11:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Stick to function, and forget "looks".  It's a Glock.

The Trij HD are pretty sweet.

Also, consider the Heine straight 8.  Not as visible as the Trij HD's but you'll be happy.

Those trueglo TFO's are about the most visible thing on the planet too.

There is a huge thread that is tacked at the top of the page with pictures of Glock sights and their functional sight pictures.  If that thread cannot help you, nothing can.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:11:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

What makes you like the yellow over orange, I have read that many folks have been leaning toward the yellow after using both. I shoot well with glock sights, but I feel that my accuracy will be improved with sights that you can actually see the whole circle of the front.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

While probably not the best bulls-eye shooting sights, they are the best practical shooting sights I've used.  I do prefer the yellow sights now, and future purchases

will be yellow HD's only.  The G17gen4 has had them installed almost since day one, it was purchased within a few weeks of the gen4's being released, has about 40K rounds threw it at this point, the G34 is approaching 30K, and the G19 probably has 20K or so threw it.  In preparation of the IDPA Backup Gun Nationals last Nov, the HD equipped G26 saw three thousand rounds in just two weeks.  I have not had a single issue with these sights on any of my weapons.  Easily capable of hitting IDPA targets, including head shots at 25 yards..... YMMV!

Hope this help!

~g

Contrast.

Don't worry about this so much. It's easy to complicate night sight selection.  Pick a set of quality sights and stick with them.  They only work as well as you practice and train.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:47:18 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Contrast.

Don't worry about this so much. It's easy to complicate night sight selection.  Pick a set of quality sights and stick with them.  They only work as well as you practice and train.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hope this help!

~g

Contrast.

If you send your slide to Glock they will ship it back to you with factory glock night sights (mepro) installed for $57. 12 year warranty.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:20:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks guys for the input. I just needed a push to go ahead and pull the trigger on a new set of sights. I just ordered a set of HD's from opticsplanet. I ordered the set that said its front yellow outline and rear yellow, which I hope that will be ship as front yellow outline with green tritium and the rear with yellow tritium and no outline. They will be here next Fri/Sat. I will probably have them install via gunsmith.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:38:16 PM EDT
[#14]
"Vickers setup" FTW! Best sight combo money can buy for a Glock. Warren Tactical rear Trijicon HD front.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:19:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
"Vickers setup" FTW! Best sight combo money can buy for a Glock. Warren Tactical rear Trijicon HD front.
http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a584/GudOlBoy1/20140419_183322_zps5d8a508d.jpg
View Quote

I really like that.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:23:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I like Ameriglo Pro I-dots. They are half the cost of the Trijicon HDs and just as good. I got a set to replace the factory night sights on my G19 and now Im outfitting all my pistols with them.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:19:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Spartan Tactical, by Ameriglo. Easy to see, eye catching orange front, wide rear notch night sights without the distracting white outlines around the rear sight dots. I guess there might be a better sight in existence, but not for me, anyhow...
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:33:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Also, consider the Heine straight 8.  Not as visible as the Trij HD's but you'll be happy.

There is a huge thread that is tacked at the top of the page with pictures of Glock sights and their functional sight pictures.  If that thread cannot help you, nothing can.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

^I'd agree!

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hope this help!

~g

Contrast.

^this, initially I thought I liked the orange better, but I find the yellow better for indoor low light, when it's not dark enough to leverage the tritium inserts.

Can't go wrong with either, so if the orange feel better.... then go with it.

~g

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:31:43 PM EDT
[#19]
I've recently tried XS Sights and REALLY like them.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:39:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I like Ameriglo Pro I-dots. They are half the cost of the Trijicon HDs and just as good. I got a set to replace the factory night sights on my G19 and now Im outfitting all my pistols with them.
View Quote

I have 2 sets of the Idot pros. I really like them.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:24:57 PM EDT
[#21]
I have trijicons GL01s on all of my glocks. No complaints.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:43:04 PM EDT
[#22]
I still like the Truglo TFO's for day/night use. Just wish there was a way they could make the font sight not quite so long.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:41:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Choosing new sights is becoming a PITA! I just had my first OIS a little over a week ago. Not happy with factory Glock sights. Torn between XS Big Dots and Trijicon HDs. Decisions, decisions...
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:47:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My personal preference is Warren/Sevigny with Tritium front and plain black rear.
View Quote

I really like this combo as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top