Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2014 5:06:41 AM EDT

I wrote this for THE TRUTH ABOUT GUNS, and after taking my new Glock 34 out yesterday for its first outing, I can't tell you how pleased I am with it. For whatever reason, the trigger feels really good on this G34. It was made just last month, the casing in the little envelope is dated 3/20/14. The trigger reset point is superb and heck, I even shot it well with stock sights. I just love the G34, the long sight radius is superb for me. I had laser surgery and so my dominant eye is also my distance eye and that sight radius get it out in front of me just far enough that I can really focus on that front post. I put Arredondo mag extensions on it with Wolff power springs and it performed absolutely flawlessly with no dreaded "brass in the face" issues either and it was dead on accurate, as accurate as I could be with it, it just made me VERY happy to be "back home again" with Glock.[SIZE=3]

My GLOCK Journey: There and Back Again
A number of years ago when I got into shooting in a major way, I was eager to run out and get my first handgun. I had spent a good bit of time shooting long guns earlier, but never a handgun. Without much thought, I bought a used GLOCK 22. I loaded up the G22 and blazed away at a torso-sized target at about 20 feet. I think I may have even hit it a few times. Maybe . . .
Since then I’ve moved from handgun models to handgun models: SIG, HK, Ruger, Smith & Wesson, Remington, FN, probably others, and I’ve purchased and used striker-fired and DA/SA semi-autos. I’ve given them all a decent workout at the gun club and at the range and training center I frequent. Revolvers too.
So here is my true confession: I’ve been there with GLOCKs, left and now I’m back again. I’ve come full circle back to where I started. Why?
First, for me, the GLOCK just works. I have owned and used a G26, G17, G21, G22, G30, G34, and a G20. I’ve been there and done that with all of them — Gen 3s and Gen 4s — and I’ve had no issues with any of them. Did I just "luck out” or could it be since there are a bazillion GLOCKs out there, the incidents reported on gun forums are unrepresentative? Who knows? All I know is that they have always worked for me.
Second, the trigger. Yes, you read that right, the trigger. I spent so much time learning how to shoot GLOCKs relatively effectively that I grew used to that mushy bangswitch and learned to master the reset point. I have dropped trigger upgrades into a few of my GLOCKs. I like them and they’re nice, but I’m not sure they did me much good. I thought I would prefer the DA/SA trigger system, hammer systems, etc. They’re good, but ultimately not that big a deal either for me. I realized I really hate the DA-then-SA function of the HKs and SIGs. Frankly, when I want to enjoy a truly great trigger, I pull out my 1911 with its custom trigger set at 2.5 pounds.
Third, I like the feel of the GLOCK. I know that for many the GLOCK is a "brick,” a "plastic monstrosity” and a "piece of junk.” Blah, blah and…more blah. For me, with my monster-sized hands, the GLOCK feels very comfortable. The grip is just fine and I really like the Gen 4 beavertail options that now are standard on GLOCKs.
Fourth, there’s the simplicity of the GLOCK. Chiefly I’ve come to realize that I dislike external safeties. Hate ‘em. I like the "instant-on” of the GLOCK manual of arms. Round chambered…holstered…unholster…fire. No safety to mess with or remember to disengage, nothing to interfere with the function of the handgun. Same trigger pull regardless of first or last shot. Just grab it and pull the trigger. I know this has been one of the chief criticisms of the GLOCK — too easy to have a negligent discharge. Yes, one must be super-aware of the basic laws of safety with a GLOCK as there’s no heavy trigger pull on the first shot as on most DA/SAs.
Fifth, there’s the return on investment. A GLOCK is significantly less expensive than the (ridiculously overpriced) HKs, and nearly anything else. I’d rather spend my "extra” money on accessories and ammo and…you name it. Sure, it’s cool to use the higher priced handguns. I’ve had a HK MK23, a HK USP 9mm Expert, a HK45 and a FNX 45 and 9mm, etc. But was I achieving better results with any of them to justify, for me, the extra $500 bucks required by a HK, or the several hundred more for an FN? Nope.
Sixth, the reality check: Handguns are just fun to shoot. They are. Remember what "fun” is? Sure you do. The oh-so-serious crowd scoffs at the thought, but come on, you know it’s fun to shoot all kinds of handguns. At the end of the day, though, a handgun is still a tool. If you’re able to get rounds into the center mass area of a target consistently at 21 feet, that’s good enough. Sure, you may not be able to take your handgun out to the gun club and punch small groups in paper from 25 yards with your GLOCK (though some of you probably do), but I can get off double taps all day long in various drills with plenty of accuracy with mine.
So after my wandering, I find that I’ve returned to the GLOCK as my go-to handgun platform. The G26 is and has been my primary EDC for quite some time. The G34 is my main training handgun — I love the long sight radius on that thing. They say confession is good for the soul, so there you have it: my GLOCK true confession, there and back again.

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 6:33:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Good post.

I, too, am going through a Glock renaissance. This is the third time I've come back around to Glocks after doing the Sig, H&K, and M&P thing.

My Gen4 G19 is really fitting the bill for me right now.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 4:58:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm with ya.  I have gone to and fro but have always had a few Glocks as backup.  It comes down to what a particular shooter is looking for in a platform.  Every one has it's positives and negatives.  For me there really isn't negatives to the Glock, at least after I work them over..:).  Are there pistols that feel better, sure.  Are there pistols that look better, you bet.  The Glock offers me the same attributes that you stated.  When I look at a platform, I have a criteria that I use to judge that platform, SRFS, I think how well this weapon "Surfs"...  Simplicity, Reliability, Function, and Support.  If it scores high in these area, then it is a viable platform for my use.

Now understand, I am not saying Glock is the only weapon that scores high IMO, but it is the one I choose out of my top pick.  I will have to see how the nee H&K striker pistols scores.

My G19 is my go of choice, for both on and off duty.  

TXPO
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:15:32 AM EDT
[#3]
This nerd appreciates the Hobbit reference.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:06:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Third, I like the feel of the GLOCK. I know that for many the GLOCK is a "brick,” a "plastic monstrosity” and a "piece of junk.” Blah, blah and…more blah. For me, with my monster-sized hands, the GLOCK feels very comfortable. The grip is just fine and I really like the Gen 4 beavertail options that now are standard on GLOCKs.
View Quote

I too, love my beautiful, black bricks and wouldn't part with them.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:09:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Pic added.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:11:14 PM EDT
[#6]
After owning HK, XDm, Taurus, Beretta, and Sig, I bought my first Glock, a 21SF last week and love it. After new sights and a ghost trigger kit, I love it even more.

I can appreciate this post.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:32:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:31:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Bought an HKP30.  Can't shoot it half as well as I can shoot glocks.  Yeah, I'm itching to do a Glock 17 Gen 4 this summer or fall.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top